Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alan Pardew To Join Crystal Palace

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Saipanne wrote: »
    Lots of red faces on here...

He showed at West Ham that he was a good manager.

Whatever people think of him as a person, it's clear that he has the ability to manage a team into the top 8 in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

No he doesn't.

People who think Pardew is a good manager, you don't know what you're talking about.

End of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Moneymaker wrote: »
    No he doesn't.

People who think Pardew is a good manager, you don't know what you're talking about.

End of story.

Who do you manage?

Who do you manage?

I've managed to keep myself alive for 28 years, baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

No he doesn't.

End of story.

Why is he not a good manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Because he's not foreign and called Van Pardew, Pardigrini or Pardinho.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

He showed at West Ham that he was a good manager.

Whatever people think of him as a person, it's clear that he has the ability to manage a team into the top 8 in the league.
    How exactly did he do that? Failed in the championship in his first season. Scraped through the playoffs in the second season after securing 6th on just the last day. Had a very good first season back in the Premier League and we were seconds from winning the FA Cup so I'll give him that much. However, the season after was a nightmare and we would have undoubtedly been relegated if he hadn't been sacked when he was. Also, have a little search online for the "incident" involving him and the wife of West Ham player Carl Fletcher.

After his sacking at West Ham, he helped relegate Charlton (while we stayed up)

What's he won?

He plays terrible football, cowardly tactics. He can't coach flair players.

He guided Newcastle to 4 straight derby defeats, the only manager EVER in Newcastle history to do so.

He constantly makes excuses when his team loses.

He lost 4/5 games in the FA Cup. 3 against lower league opposition.

Newcastle went 102 games without scoring from a corner. What did he do on the training ground?

Newcastle were defeated 22 times by 3 goals or more since Pardew arrived(December 2010)

Heaviest home defeat since 1925.

First manager to lose 6 straight games.

Relegated Charlton. Would have relegated West Ham if he wasn't sacked.

I haven't even mentioned his total lack of professionalism and the general odiousness of the man.

But by all means, ignore this "deluded" and "fickle" Newcastle fan and continue to defend the indefensible because he strings together a few wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

continue to defend the indefensible because he strings together a few wins.

What makes it indefensible? If he keeps Palace up he will have achieved his remit in the job and done something most here thought he wouldn't.

Frankly, if they stay up his defence speaks for itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Kirby wrote: »
    What makes it indefensible? If he keeps Palace up he will have achieved his remit in the job and done something most here thought he wouldn't.

Hear, hear! Well said.

• Advertisement

Rubbish. A handful of wins erases his 16 year career of failure and mediocrity?

Did you watch Newcastle during his tenure?

Do people watch a different game to me and the countless fans who all agree he's a charlatan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Lots of red faces on here...

Its Newcastle fans mostly in fairness.

Their delusions of grandeur meant he was slated constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Its Newcastle fans mostly in fairness.

Their delusions of grandeur meant he was slated constantly.

I think you've just proven that you, alongside the majority of others have no real idea of why Newcastle fans wanted him gone.

In fact, I'd imagine you don't really pay much attention to other Premier League clubs bar MOTD, maybe an odd headline on Sky Sports. Either that, or you're just trolling.

I won't waste my time explaining, and don't think you should anymore either Moneymaker but for what it's worth, I was the first to say when AP left for Palace, he would keep them up. He has a squad of true grafters now, none too technically talented with the odd exception of some flair in Bolasie, Zaha.

Next season will be his real test - when he gets his way in the transfer market and is allowed to put his own mark on the team. I personally believe things will end sour for Pardew like they did at almost every club he has ever managed as a West Ham fan alluded to above.

Either way, it doesn't really bother me - I just visited this thread out of interest to see why it was still alive, one particular posters strikes me as quite obsessed about him - is that you in disguise Alan?!

All in all - Pardew is so good a manager that he left to join Crystal Palace, but then again that's where all top managers go I suppose.

Top bloke. A man's man.

No he doesn't.

End of story.

Maybe people are just seeing the big picture. Like the time he was manager of the season after guiding Newcastle to European football. And they miss the little things that you might obsess over, like losing to Boro twice by two goals or failing whatever other odd little mini targets are set by fans of a club that frankly hasn't had success for decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I think you've just proven that you, alongside the majority of others have no real idea of why Newcastle fans wanted him gone.

In fact, I'd imagine you don't really pay much attention to other Premier League clubs bar MOTD, maybe an odd headline on Sky Sports. Either that, or you're just trolling.

I think its just normal people calling out the delusions of Newcastle fans, assuming your one of them. He did what he was paid to in that he kept them up and the best players were sold year after year.

When your back in the Champo you will get that as your delusions will be more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Top bloke. A man's man.

Haha your a sad little ****. Good man!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

Top bloke. A man's man.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I think its just normal people calling out the delusions of Newcastle fans, assuming your one of them. He did what he was paid to in that he kept them up and the best players were sold year after year.

When your back in the Champo you will get that as your delusions will be more realistic.

What delusion is that out of interest?

I think we'll manage somehow, considering Pardew had absolutely nothing to do with Newcastle's return to the EPL in 2010.

But of course, do continue to completely ignore the valid facts about Mr. Pardew stated by both NUFC/various supporters who happened to have watched an AP managed side week-in week-out. :rolleyes:

It's like people watch a different game to us. It's baffling. He wins a few games and he's a great manager and a "proper man". A proper man that antagonises opposition managers, headbutts opposing players.

I'm out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Because he's not foreign and called Van Pardew, Pardigrini or Pardinho.

Such a stupid argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

IMO the truth with Pardew is somewhere in the middle of the good manager that Newcastle fans just couldn't warm to argument, and the Newcastle fan argument which makes him look like a trainwreck of a manager.

Not a great manager, he's had some really shocking spells that would see any manager sacked. But he's had some very good seasons too.

Id expect Palace to be relegated under him eventually, I wouldn't want him at Villa. With clubs like Villa, Newcastle and Palace you need managers whose lows don't drop THAT low because you're always a six-game losing spell away from the relegation zone.

Newcastle in free fall since he left, while palace on the rise since arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Of all the 92 managers currently employed in the English League season and the other 50 or so currently on the outside looking in he'd be decently above average imo. He's done well at Palace, it's foolish to deny that. He did well with Newcastle in 2011 / 12. And he's had very bad seasons around that and is probably not a nice man - but so what on that score as football is filled with not very nice men.

Newcastle in free fall since he left, while palace on the rise since arrived.
    Newcastle don't have a manager. Crystal Palace currently going through the honeymoon phase that isn't that uncommon. I don't think this proves any point. I would back Newcastle to finish ahead of Palace next season personally.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Of all the 92 managers currently employed in the English League season and the other 50 or so currently on the outside looking in he'd be decently above average imo. He's done well at Palace, it's foolish to deny that. He did well with Newcastle in 2011 / 12. And he's had very bad seasons around that and is probably not a nice man - but so what on that score as football is filled with not very nice men.
    I wouldn't look at it like that. What happens off the pitch is frequently just as important. Pardew's character has cost him numerous times. You could argue that he lost the Southampton job and the Newcastle job (I appreciated he resigned rather than was sacked but I'd find it difficult to accept that he thought Palace were a more attractive prospect on the pitch and financially).

I'm not actually aware what led to him ceasing employment with West Ham or Charlton but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that his personality was a factor.

Newcastle aren't in free fall. We're as bad as we were when Pardew was in charge.

We have Cardew now. Same tactics, same spinelessness.

There is a definite argument however that his hands were tied by Mike Ashley. He is the true problem.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

CSF wrote: »
    (I appreciated he resigned rather than was sacked but I'd find it difficult to accept that he thought Palace were a more attractive prospect on the pitch and financially).

It may not have been a more attractive prospect in that regard, but it was definitely more attractive when you consider the abuse he was getting at Newcastle, and the fact that he was a former player who made 128 appearances for them during his playing days.

Mainly the former though! :D

Personally, I think Newcastle fans lost a lot of respect from everyone else after the way they treated a well respected Premier League manager in Sam Allardyce so when they came out in protest against any subsequent managers they seemed to lack credibility from the perspective of the fans from the "outside world".

Wilberto wrote: »
    It may not have been a more attractive prospect in that regard, but it was definitely more attractive when you consider the abuse he was getting at Newcastle, and the fact that he was a former player who made 128 appearances for them during his playing days.

Mainly the former though! :D

Personally, I think Newcastle fans lost a lot of respect from everyone else after the way they treated a well respected Premier League manager in Sam Allardyce so when they came out in protest against any subsequent managers they seemed to lack credibility from the perspective of the fans from the "outside world".
    This is the point I'm making really. If Pardew wasn't such a dislikable character, he'd probably not have gotten the abuse at Newcastle, and probably wouldn't have felt the need to go to Palace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Newcastle in free fall of a whole one position in the league in a period where they've played Man Utd twice, everton twice, chelsea, Southampton and man city.
    They're actually unbeaten in the league against teams you might consider average like themselves.
    Pardew has had the odd decent season (the odd brilliant season) but he is far too inconsistent he has a horrible habit of bringing teams from good positions to absolutely awful ones, there is no stability with him from season to season and from one set of 5 games to the next. As for his antics, the less said the better.

The funny thing is Newcastle was probably his best managerial performance. He failed at West Ham, Charlton and Southampton, a lot at lower level, and was never going to endear himself to newcastle with his behaviour and his derby record. At a club where the derbies are the only real way to gauge a success of some kind (never going to win anything) is record is a disgrace against horrendous Sunderland teams. Newcastle have kept Sunderland up the last two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I wouldn't look at it like that. What happens off the pitch is frequently just as important. Pardew's character has cost him numerous times. You could argue that he lost the Southampton job and the Newcastle job (I appreciated he resigned rather than was sacked but I'd find it difficult to accept that he thought Palace were a more attractive prospect on the pitch and financially).

I'm not actually aware what led to him ceasing employment with West Ham or Charlton but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that his personality was a factor.

He lost his job at west ham as they were about to be relegated and had their worst period of form for 70 years.
    Charlton sacked him after he was relegated with them, then failed to be promoted with one of the championships best squads. The next year they were nearly bottom after 10 games so they sacked him.

I would back Newcastle to finish ahead of Palace next season personally.

Probably, but as you yourself acknowledge with your very next post, for reasons that have nothing to do with the manager...
    I'd find it difficult to accept that he thought Palace were a more attractive prospect on the pitch and financially.

Wilberto wrote: »
    when they came out in protest against any subsequent managers they seemed to lack credibility from the perspective of the fans from the "outside world".

Yeah, all those protests against Keegan and Hughton were disgraceful.... Oh wait.

Anger is well and truly with Ashley. But we should be happy that the club is being run into the ground for the sake of gaining a profit I suppose yeah?

Probably, but as you yourself acknowledge with your very next post, for reasons that have nothing to do with the manager...

True, but I was merely pointing out that the guys assertion that this small timeframe for both clubs in the immediate aftermath of those managerial changes, probably isn't indicative of the long-term, and hence probably not a very good measuring tape to use for anything.

Another heroic win for Palace. Fair play to Pardew. Great manager. What a turnaround.

And! They are now ahead of his former club.

Lotta red faces on this thread. Lotta red...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

atoFJCM.jpg?1

League table since Sir Alan of Pardew took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I remember saying that Newcastle will regret loosing Pardew and they will be worse off.....That_Guy was adamant I was wrong. I wonder how he feels now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hopefully the Power of Pardew can bag three points tomorrow and send City into a tailspin.

I remember saying that Newcastle will regret loosing Pardew and they will be worse off.....That_Guy was adamant I was wrong. I wonder how he feels now.

The doubters will evoke the " next season" clause, no doubt.

Hopefully the Power of Pardew can bag three points tomorrow and send City into a tailspin.

Pardew bless you.

• Advertisement

The doubters will evoke the " next season" clause, no doubt.

I'm not a doubter, but as with all managers that come in halfway through the season, next season usually is the test.

AdamD wrote: »
    atoFJCM.jpg?1

League table since Sir Alan of Pardew took over.

It was thoroughly decent of Pardew to leave Newcastle in a position where they could pretty much not be relegated this season. Because clearly that's a team that isn't gonna trouble too many others. They'll have to hope the next manager also gets them to be better than the sum of their parts.

This forum has gone to the absolute dogs.

Glad I barely post here anymore.

This forum has gone to the absolute dogs.

Glad I barely post here anymore.

Why, because people disagree with you? Some people appreciate Pardiola's talents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why, because people disagree with you? Some people appreciate Pardiola's talents.
    The problem is that it's only a part of a season and people are ragging on how right they were which is ridiculous.

Next season is when we will see how things pan out. If somebody takes over Newcastle and they are challenging for a spot in Europe then that ends the debate about Pardew leaving them being a disaster. Similarly if Crystal Palace suddenly end up in a relegation battle next season then you have to ask questions about Pardew.

Fact of the matter is that Palace were doing quite well under Tony Pulis and just didn't perform under Holloway. If you disregard the few months that Holloway was in charge I don't think there has been a huge improvement in form at Palace.

Maybe actually wait until Newcastle actually install a new manager yeah? Good lad.

eagle eye wrote: »
    The problem is that it's only a part of a season and people are ragging on how right they were which is ridiculous.

Next season is when we will see how things pan out. If somebody takes over Newcastle and they are challenging for a spot in Europe then that ends the debate about Pardew leaving them being a disaster. Similarly if Crystal Palace suddenly end up in a relegation battle next season then you have to ask questions about Pardew.

Fact of the matter is that Palace were doing quite well under Tony Pulis and just didn't perform under Holloway. If you disregard the few months that Holloway was in charge I don't think there has been a huge improvement in form at Palace.

And if you disregard the season they finished 16th, Pardew performed adequately with Newcastle.

It's easy when you delete what you want.

And if you disregard the season they finished 16th, Pardew performed adequately with Newcastle.

So in conclusion, Pardew is an inconsistent manager and Newcastle are an inconsistent football club? Agreed.

So in conclusion, Pardew is an inconsistent manager and Newcastle are an inconsistent football club? Agreed.

I'd actually agree. But Pardew is making fools of you all... for now.

It's also easy to ignore facts and see what you want... If we're going by your logic.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement