Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alan Pardew To Join Crystal Palace

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

That_Guy wrote: »
    So you want to partake in a debate or no?

I believe he indicated that he would.

Is this your thread?

Do I need your permission or authorisation?

Relax with the aggression there, I can post in any way I like once I respect the charter. Which possibly deal with abuse and swearing and mini modding, so maybe you should cast an eye over it.

I don't have to past some test set by you on how to debate. Anyway, laughing too hard at the shrill desperation of a handful of Newcastle fans to worry about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Saipanne wrote: »
    I believe he indicated that he would.

I await his reply. And yours for that matter.

Is this your thread?

Do I need your permission or authorisation?

Relax with the aggression there, I can post in any way I like once I respect the charter. Which possibly deal with abuse and swearing and mini modding, so maybe you should cast an eye over it.

I don't have to past some test set by you on how to debate. Anyway, laughing too hard at the shrill desperation of a handful of Newcastle fans to worry about it...

Not my thread no.

But if you did read the charter then you would have noticed that passionate swearing is allowed as long as the the language in question is not directed at other users.

it also says that posters should be prepared to argue their points.

But hey, if you don't want to do that and want to laugh at people actually putting forward logical points then by all means do what you gotta do pal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Oh I'd have him at Leeds United in a heartbeat too.

Did they not struggle last season? 2 in a row. Impossible for them to do 3. Have they ever stayed up 3 seasons in a row? It would be nosebleed territory for them.
    Can I ask why you would have him? His record in the Championship is quite poor. At West Ham, with undoubtedly the best squad in the league, he failed in the playoffs in his first season. Next season, by some miracle, we made the playoffs on the final day of the season. We managed promotion that season. Had we lost in the final, he was gone.
    For Charlton, again with a strong squad, he couldn't make the playoffs in their first season back in the second tier. In the second season they were in the bottom 3 when he was sacked on the back of mass fan protests (sound familiar?). Then at Southampton in league 1, he was also sacked in strange circumstances. Would Southampton be in 5th now had they stuck with him? I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

If you bothered your hole to read the entire post, I was replying to that poster who is an Arsenal fan.

Of course we're not comparable to Arsenal FFS.

But you were comparing Wenger setting up a team to how Pardew set up Newcastle?

Like comparing Guardiola's Bayern to Dyches Burnley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Can I ask why you would have him? His record in the Championship is quite poor. At West Ham, with undoubtedly the best squad in the league, he failed in the playoffs in his first season. Next season, by some miracle, we made the playoffs on the final day of the season. We managed promotion that season. Had we lost in the final, he was gone.
    For Charlton, again with a strong squad, he couldn't make the playoffs in their first season back in the second tier. In the second season they were in the bottom 3 when he was sacked on the back of mass fan protests (sound familiar?). Then at Southampton in league 1, he was also sacked in strange circumstances. Would Southampton be in 5th now had they stuck with him? I doubt it.

think the words that are in bold sum up your post. not dealing with what happened, more what ifs

And if its a debate you want maybe try to take of the strict "its all Pardews fault" bias

You repeatedly said that Pardews poor tactics and wrong positioning of players was what was costing Newcastle. Why then after he leaves and a replacement is found do Newcastle get WORSE, if it was Pardews management costing ye then surely removing his incompetent management would improve Newcastle. But it hasn't for some reason.

Yet this apparently incompetent manager who has poor tactics and lack of knowledge of his own players best positions has improved Crystal Palace despite his supposed ineptitude.

It is a hilarious situation and hole that is being dug by stubborness.

Can I ask why you would have him?

Why Leeds would take a manager deemed the best by his peers in 2012?

Because I think he is a good manager. As they did. I don't think he is Brian Clough. On the other hand, I don't think he became bad afterwards.

Not my thread no.

But if you did read the charter then you would have noticed that passionate swearing is allowed as long as the the language in question is not directed at other users.

But hey, if you don't want to do that and want to laugh at people actually putting forward logical points then by all means do what you gotta do pal.

Ha ha!

"If you bothered your hole" was "passionate" and wasn't directed at me!

Was that one of your "logical points"?

• Advertisement

Ha ha!

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Lads I'm a Newcastle fan. None of us are saying that the club is better with John carver than Alan pardew.

Pardew is doing brilliantly right now but has a record of performing well at the start. I believe it will soon go down hill.

His job had become untenable at Newcastle. The fans hated him because he was so arrogant and his football was dire to watch. Sometimes a club and a personality just don't mix. He showed no respect for the fans and was happy with the Ashley regime.

Ashley is the main Issue, no doubt, but under pardew Newcastle were going nowhere. He didn't push Ashley for money and was a total yes man.

Yes the club are doing worse under carver, not one fan will tell you they expected any different, he was pardews right hand man after all. But for people gloating and feeling so sure about pardew and Newcastle just hold off, wait until Newcastle appoint a new manager during the summer and see where pardew is this time next season

But you were comparing Wenger setting up a team to how Pardew set up Newcastle?

Yes, within the context of the post. I only mentioned Arsenal briefly because the poster in question is a fan of them.

The crux of the argument was not Arsenal v Newcastle.

And if its a debate you want maybe try to take of the strict "its all Pardews fault" bias

I have mentioned Ashley as a significant problem too but Pardew certainly played a very big part in Newcastle's poor results.
    You repeatedly said that Pardews poor tactics and wrong positioning of players was what was costing Newcastle. Why then after he leaves and a replacement is found do Newcastle get WORSE, if it was Pardews management costing ye then surely removing his incompetent management would improve Newcastle. But it hasn't for some reason.

We didn't replace him... Carver is part of Newcastle's back room staff and was Pardew's number 2. Him, Steve Stone and the rest were there already. They're not up to the job just like Pardew wasn't in the end.

It's the same abysmal tactics yet again from a man who is not premier league management level.

As you've repeatedly pointed out, our points average with Carver has been poor and proves this fact.
    Yet this apparently incompetent manager who has poor tactics and lack of knowledge of his own players best positions has improved Crystal Palace despite his supposed ineptitude.

He's doing well in his honeymoon period alright. He did the same at West Ham, Charlton and Newcastle and fell away completely. But look, he's doing well right now. Will it last? History says probably not but you never know.
    Ha ha!

Of course it was directed at you for ignoring key parts of that particular post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Ok. My last ever post on this subject...

Alan Pardew was a bad Newcastle manager.
    Alan Pardew is looking like a decent manager at Crystal Palace.

Alan Pardew bar one season had a pretty dreadful stint as Newcastle manager and did nothing to appease fans in his interviews/results and how he carried himself on the sideline.

Alan Pardew has done well so far with Crystal Palace and has done the job he was asked of in keeping them in the Premier League.

The End.

You're right to leave it at that.
    More frustrated at how the club is being run and how the players have just given up yet again.
    Of course it's my opinion... I wrote that post.... :rolleyes:
    You're the one fighting for him. Always looking to deflect away from the conversation when it suits with no decent rebuttal.

You're becoming a chore at this stage.

Whatever about the owner at Newcastle, it's an easy excuse to make. Didn't see Hughton coming out and giving out about things. He got on with it. Didn't necessarily play the most amazing football but we had a strong core that fought for everything and willing to fight for the manager and had some very decent results under him.

Hell we won the bloody Championship!!

With Pardew he towed the party line continuously. Arguably had a better team at his disposal than Hughton but he fizzled out and instead of saying, "hey, I got it wrong and I need to address this situation" he decided to bleat out shíte. Blamed all before him. The fans, the Europa League etc.

His position was untenable. He puts out the team. Not Ashley. If Pardew hadn't continued to tow the party line I would have had a bit of sympathy for him.

Results may have been shíte but if he turned out and said, "I have a reputation to keep. I can't work under these circumstances etc" perhaps I would have appreciated that he had a bit of bottle to question transfer activity among other things.

He didn't. He became unlikable and results were just a part of it. It's easy to say that he did a good job when you don't have to watch Newcastle week in and week out, reading quotes and trying to support a team that doesn't care, a manager that hasn't a clue what he was doing and an owner who doesn't give a shít about fans who pay to watch that crap.

You give about the fans. Why can't fans give out about a manager who brought us to the brink of relegation us, headbutted a player, pushed a lino and cursed at Pellegrini.

It's not befitting of a manager. You can say he's a "man's man" or whatever shíte you say but he's not. He was an absolute coward at Newcastle. When it was going right, brilliant. But he never was one for accepting blame when things went horribly wrong.

Aside from the 'sackpardew' crowd, Newcastle fans are no different than any other set of fans who want a manager gone. A small section of fans just went about it in a different way.

Didn't see you giving out when those Manchester United fans flew that plane over Old Trafford wanting Moyes out nor have I seen you pipe up about your other favourite club Sunderland, when their fans ran to the home dugout and threw things at Poyet baying for his blood.

IN. MY. OPINION.
    Ok.... But you're the one who's been championing him as a pretty good manager.

What is the right way to go about things? Do tell?
    Ok. He's done a good job at Palace so far. I said he had in one of my other posts here.

Now, would you care to reply to my other posts?
    You brought it up so you tell us what the best way to do things is all knowing master. :rolleyes:
    FOR FÚCK SAKE!!

He started well with us. He fell away completely towards the end. His job was untenable. He had to go.

He left.

He has started well with Palace no doubt.

You like ignoring facts when it suits though so there's no point in trying to discuss things with you.
    What facts have I ignored?
    Bad tactics and playing players out of position on a continuous basis was the reason why we struggled.

Which was a pretty remarkable feat given our struggle.

"Most"??? We still had the same squad that season. We lost Cabaye and Ba, our two top performers. The rest of the squad that finished 5th still remained. And even they both only left in the last couple of years.

Again, we were playing terribly because players weren't being utilised in their proper positions and continually playing out of form players despite the whole world being able to see how awful they were.

We had a few injuries but we certainly had the back up there to be able to compete. As I say, dreadful tactics and players being played in stupid positions and nullifying any creativity was killing the team.

Transfers? But you just said that we never replaced the players we lost due to a tight fisted owner.

The only player I can recall that Pardew was bragging about was Gabriel Obertan who, if we're being honest, is pretty dreadful.

As for tactics... With Crystal Palace he's gotten a lot of things right and it's hard to dispute that. With Newcastle? Not at all. He was pure muck.

But I thought he was great at transfers?

A dead end job? We're one of the biggest supported clubs in England. A team that is supported by passionate loons despite all the doom and gloom. A support base that still go to away games in droves and continually go to home games regardless of the shíte they're being served up.

If a manager loses his passion for the job there in front of people who have shown nothing but passion to a club floating in its own shít, then it speaks volumes about the manager himself and not the club.

Well, at the end of the day Pardew was the one setting up the team, asking players to play in his shítty tactics and not Ashley.

There's no disputing that Ashley remains a big problem at the club but Pardew played his part.

We are? We're well aware Ashley won't spend. He'll spend enough to get by without making us relevant. We've known this for a while but thank you for shedding the light on things we clearly didn't already know. :rolleyes:

There have been many protests. It hasn't worked. There will always be a large group who will voice their opinion of him whether it be inside the ground or not.

As fans you can't do anything about it unless you stop going. Obviously given that I'm sitting here in Ireland, it's easy for me to say we should protest by not going to games.

Giving up on going to football games especially in that part of England is hard given there's fúck all else to do at the weekend.
    So you don't follow Newcastle religiously yet you feel comfortable guessing that injuries was one of the sole reasons we struggled.

They certainly didn't help but here's a list of players that were injured when we finished 5th in 2011/12.
    Cheik Tiote Injury	Head Injury	2012 May 2nd
    Danny Simpson Injury	Ankle/Foot Injury	2012 April 28th
    Yohan Cabaye Injury	Knock	2012 April 28th
    Yohan Cabaye Injury	Ankle/Foot Injury	2012 April 21st
    James Perch Injury	Hip/Thigh Injury	2012 April 9th
    Cheik Tiote Injury	Hamstring Injury	2012 April 6th
    James Perch Injury	Knock	2012 April 3rd
    Gabriel Obertan Injury	Knock	2012 April 3rd
    Haris Vučkić Injury	Knee Injury	2012 April 3rd
    Danny Guthrie Injury	Calf/Shin Injury	2012 April 1st
    Fabricio Coloccini Injury	Hamstring Injury	2012 March 25th
    Papiss Cisse Injury	Calf/Shin Injury	2012 March 25th
    Cheik Tiote Injury	Hip/Thigh Injury	2012 March 12th
    Danny Simpson Injury	Muscle Injury	2012 March 12th
    Ryan Taylor Injury	Calf Muscle Strain	2012 March 11th
    Peter Lovenkrands Injury	Thigh Muscle Strain	2012 March 6th
    Shola Ameobi Injury	Illness	2012 March 1st
    Papiss Cisse Injury	Groin Strain	2012 February 25th
    Cheik Tiote Injury	Knock	2012 February 25th
    Demba Ba Injury	Knock	2012 February 25th
    Yohan Cabaye Injury	Knock	2012 February 25th
    Ryan Taylor Injury	Ankle/Foot Injury	2012 February 5th
    Leon Best Injury	MCL Knee Ligament Injury	2012 February 5th
    Fabricio Coloccini Injury	Groin Strain	2012 January 25th
    Yohan Cabaye Injury	Ankle/Foot Injury	2012 January 15th
    Sammy Ameobi Injury	Knee Injury	2012 January 10th
    Danny Simpson Injury	Shoulder Injury	2012 January 7th
    Yohan Cabaye Injury	Knock	2012 January 4th
    Gabriel Obertan Injury	Toe Injury	2011 December 30th
    Demba Ba Injury	Knock	2011 December 26th
    Davide Santon Injury	Knee Injury	2011 December 21st
    Peter Lovenkrands Injury	Calf/Shin Injury	2011 December 19th
    Nile Ranger Injury	Ankle/Foot Injury	2011 December 17th
    Ryan Taylor Injury	Ankle/Foot Injury	2011 December 14th
    Danny Guthrie Injury	Gilmores Groin	2011 December 8th
    Fabricio Coloccini Injury	Hip/Thigh Injury	2011 December 3rd
    Steven Taylor Injury	Ruptured Achilles	2011 December 3rd
    Sylvain Marveaux Injury	Gilmores Groin	2011 November 7th
    Yohan Cabaye Injury	Gilmores Groin	2011 November 7th
    Leon Best Injury	Gilmores Groin	2011 November 7th
    Gabriel Obertan Injury	Toe Injury	2011 November 3rd
    Steven Taylor Injury	Broken Nose	2011 October 23rd
    Shola Ameobi Injury	Hamstring Injury	2011 October 22nd
    Cheik Tiote Injury	MCL Knee Ligament Injury	2011 October 22nd
    Yohan Cabaye Injury	Ankle/Foot Injury	2011 October 9th
    Demba Ba Injury	Sprained Ankle	2011 October 1st
    Shola Ameobi Injury	Shoulder Injury	2011 September 23rd
    Ryan Donaldson Injury	Hamstring Injury	2011 September 23rd
    Alan Smith Injury	Hamstring Injury	2011 September 23rd
    Davide Santon Injury	Cartilage Knee Injury	2011 September 16th
    Mehdi Abeid Injury	Knee Injury	2011 September 12th
    Haris Vučkić Injury	Thumb/Wrist Injury	2011 September 1st
    Mike Williamson Injury	Ankle/Foot Injury	2011 August 25th
    Steve Harper Injury	Knee Injury	2011 August 25th
    Shola Ameobi Injury	Hip/Thigh Injury	2011 August 20th
    Ryan Taylor Injury	Groin Strain	2011 July 26th
    Hatem Ben Arfa Injury	Ankle/Foot Injury	2011 July 21st
    Danny Guthrie Injury	Calf/Shin Injury	2011 May 20th
    Jonas Gutierrez Injury	Knock	2011 May 20th
    Kevin Nolan Injury	Knee Injury	2011 May 13th
    Steve Harper Injury	Ankle/Foot Injury	2011 May 13th
    James Perch Injury	Knee Injury	2011 May 13th
    Mike Williamson Injury	Broken Arm	2011 May 6th

Yohan Cabaye Injury 	Ankle/Foot Injury 	2013 May 19th	
    Rob Elliott Injury 	Arm/Elbow Injury 	2013 May 17th	
    Cheik Tiote Injury 	Hamstring Injury 	2013 May 12th	
    Steven Taylor Injury 	Illness 	2013 May 11th	
    Shola Ameobi Injury 	Knee Injury 	2013 May 4th	
    Massadio Haidara Injury 	Hamstring Injury 	2013 April 30th	
    Moussa Sissoko Injury 	Knee Injury 	2013 April 30th	
    Papiss Cisse Injury 	Rib Injury 	2013 April 20th	
    Cheik Tiote Injury 	Hamstring Injury 	2013 April 14th	
    Sylvain Marveaux Injury 	Groin/Pelvis Injury 	2013 April 14th	
    Tim Krul Injury 	Dislocated Shoulder 	2013 April 14th	
    Rob Elliott Injury 	Ankle/Foot Injury 	2013 April 14th	
    Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa Injury 	Knock 	2013 April 11th	
    Steven Taylor Injury 	Knee Injury 	2013 April 10th	
    Yohan Cabaye Injury 	Ankle/Foot Injury 	2013 April 7th	
    Davide Santon Injury 	Hamstring Injury 	2013 April 7th	
    James Perch Injury 	Hamstring Injury 	2013 April 4th	
    Danny Simpson Injury 	Ankle/Foot Injury 	2013 April 4th	
    Cheik Tiote Injury 	Hamstring Injury 	2013 March 27th	
    Davide Santon Injury 	Hip/Thigh Injury 	2013 March 19th	
    Mathieu Debuchy Injury 	Hamstring Injury 	2013 March 17th	
    Massadio Haidara Injury 	Knee Injury 	2013 March 17th	
    Yohan Cabaye Injury 	Groin/Pelvis Injury 	2013 March 14th	
    Shola Ameobi Injury 	Ankle/Foot Injury 	2013 March 7th	
    Hatem Ben Arfa Injury 	Hamstring Injury 	2013 March 7th	
    Papiss Cisse Injury 	Illness 	2013 March 3rd	
    Yohan Cabaye Injury 	Illness 	2013 February 24th	
    Fabricio Coloccini Injury 	Back Injury 	2013 February 24th	
    Steve Harper Injury 	Knee Injury 	2013 February 22nd	
    Tim Krul Injury 	Ankle/Foot Injury 	2013 February 21st	
    Yohan Cabaye Injury 	Knee Injury 	2013 February 21st	
    Cheik Tiote Injury 	Illness 	2013 February 20th	
    Sammy Ameobi Injury 	Hamstring Injury 	2013 February 11th	
    Yoan Gouffran Injury 	Calf/Shin Injury 	2013 February 9th	
    Sylvain Marveaux Injury 	Ankle/Foot Injury 	2013 January 28th	
    Gabriel Obertan Injury 	Knock 	2013 January 25th	
    Yohan Cabaye Injury 	Groin/Pelvis Injury 	2013 January 19th	
    James Perch Injury 	Knee Injury 	2013 January 5th	
    Fabricio Coloccini Injury 	Hamstring Injury 	2013 January 2nd	
    Papiss Cisse Injury 	Hip/Thigh Injury 	2013 January 2nd	
    Gael Bigirimana Injury 	Hip/Thigh Injury 	2013 January 2nd	
    Danny Simpson Injury 	Broken Toe 	2012 December 29th	
    Vurnon Anita Injury 	Ankle/Foot Injury 	2012 December 26th	
    Jonas Gutierrez Injury 	Knee Injury 	2012 December 24th	
    Hatem Ben Arfa Injury 	Hamstring Injury 	2012 December 10th	
    Cheik Tiote Injury 	Hamstring Injury 	2012 December 3rd	
    Demba Ba Injury 	Hamstring Injury 	2012 December 3rd	
    Davide Santon Injury 	Groin/Pelvis Injury 	2012 December 3rd	
    Jonas Gutierrez Injury 	Knee Injury 	2012 December 3rd	
    Steven Taylor Injury 	Hamstring Injury 	2012 November 25th	
    Hatem Ben Arfa Injury 	Hamstring Injury 	2012 November 22nd	
    Papiss Cisse Injury 	Hip/Thigh Injury 	2012 November 22nd	
    Shola Ameobi Injury 	Groin/Pelvis Injury 	2012 November 17th	
    Gabriel Obertan Injury 	Toe Injury 	2012 November 14th	
    Papiss Cisse Injury 	Back Injury 	2012 November 11th	
    Jonas Gutierrez Injury 	Knee Injury 	2012 November 11th	
    Demba Ba Injury 	Calf/Shin Injury 	2012 November 11th	
    Yohan Cabaye Injury 	Groin/Pelvis Injury 	2012 November 11th	
    Demba Ba Injury 	Calf/Shin Injury 	2012 November 4th	
    James Perch Injury 	Thigh Muscle Strain 	2012 November 4th	
    Yohan Cabaye Injury 	Hamstring Injury 	2012 November 4th	
    Sammy Ameobi Injury 	Hamstring Injury 	2012 November 4th	
    Demba Ba Injury 	Calf/Shin Injury 	2012 October 28th	
    Danny Simpson Injury 	Shoulder Injury 	2012 October 28th	
    Shane Ferguson Injury 	Hip/Thigh Injury 	2012 October 10th	
    Yohan Cabaye Injury 	Abdominal Pains 	2012 October 9th	
    Haris Vučkić Injury 	ACL Knee Injury 	2012 October 8th	
    Dan Gosling Injury 	Knee Injury 	2012 October 8th	
    Rob Elliott Injury 	Groin/Pelvis Injury 	2012 October 4th	
    Steven Taylor Injury 	Calf/Shin Injury 	2012 September 29th	
    Yohan Cabaye Injury 	Mouth Infection 	2012 September 28th	
    Fabricio Coloccini Injury 	Hip/Thigh Injury 	2012 September 27th	
    Papiss Cisse Injury 	Illness 	2012 September 18th	
    Tim Krul Injury 	Arm/Elbow Injury 	2012 September 9th	
    Fabricio Coloccini Injury 	Hamstring Injury 	2012 September 5th	
    Danny Simpson Injury 	Hamstring Injury 	2012 September 2nd	
    Haris Vučkić Injury 	Groin Strain 	2012 August 31st	
    Ryan Taylor Injury 	ACL Knee Injury 	2012 August 30th	
    James Perch Injury 	Neck Injury 	2012 August 30th	
    Demba Ba Injury 	Calf/Shin Injury 	2012 August 18th

If I compare the injuries with your list, Tiote, Cabaye, Cisse, Simpson, Perch, Ben Arfa, Ameobi, Ba, Steven Taylor and Ryan Taylor were all out even when we finished fifth.

We didn't get rid of any key players the following season (at the start anyway) so it shows that the injury excuse doesn't cut it in this instance.

Remarkable given how bad he had us playing and almost had us relegated. For somebody who "thanked god" that we were out of the Europa League, he didn't exactly turn things around and have us safe from a relegation dog fight.

So you're going back on your "most of our players were sold" nonsense? Cabaye, Cisse and Ba were excellent for us but we still had the likes of Ben Arfa, Santon, Tiote, Krul and Coloccini who were a core group of players who were really playing well together.

We had a solid core to build on, Ashley didn't release the funds, fair enough but how Pardew could not get the same work ethic from the same group of players is beyond me.

We're certainly stretched in certain positions like most Premier League teams but it's hardly razor thin.

And we still had most of the same players injured for parts of the 2011/12 season too yet still managed to finish fifth.

Again, Arsenal - like Newcastle - are stretched in certain positions but Wenger is still able to set up a team and compete even with injuries.

We knew that there would be more games but it's hardly a surprise. Managers bitch and moan about congestion but it's not as if fixture list haven't been known since the start of every season.

We didn't get the players we needed to strengthen. That's Ashley's doing. But for Pardew to use it as a ready made excuse, blame fixture congestion rather than looking at his team and saying, "Hmmm, ok. I'll give a few fringe players a chance because we've got a big game 4 days later."

Even then, he's asking them to play in tactics that doesn't suit the balance of the team. Playing the same formation, the same shítty tactics despite it not working. No wonder we lost 19 league games that season.

Em... It was actually Graham Carr who found most of these players and was scouting them for ages. Now, obviously Pardew has a say in who he might like but it doesn't mean he has a "decent eye for talent" when all he's probably seen are scouting notes and a handful of video clips.

As per Mascherano/Tevez wasn't there some shady goings on with that Kia Joorabchian fella?

Such a nonsense argument. So when we actually raise our game against one of the bigger teams, beat them should all be forgiven given how crap we were in previous games? Christ.

As I've said, we had a good run in the Europa League despite performing awfully in the league... except against Chelsea... obviously.

Like who? Ba? He only went in that January transfer window. The rest were still there.

What good are tactics???? Jesus wept.

Ok, injuries will happen but if you can't have a contingency plan then you are doomed to failure.

Inexperienced players will be brought in but I'm sure they understand what tactics are and what their role in a game is. You make it sound like we've a squad of people we just found hanging outside the street on match day.

"G'wan, have a run out there. We're short on players but you don't understand tactics as a football player employed by this football club to play football".

I'm sure Arsenal's young and inexperienced players don't know how tactics work. That's why they're all crap isn't it? Oh wait....

It's a moot point really. Perhaps David Moyes would have done better with Manchester United by the same logic. We'll never know. What we do know is that Pardew's results were horrendously bad after the 2011/12 season for the most part.

You don't think that Villas-Boas' tactics and level of results were to blame then? Of course, it's all the fault of the owner.

Can't deny that.

I don't think we'll progress under Ashley no.

Nope. I never said I wanted him to stick around. Just to show a bit of bottle in post game interviews would have been nice instead of blaming everything and everyone but himself.

Perhaps. He's landed on his feet for sure with Palace and has done a good job as I've said many times.

You are right. We are not better off without Pardew. We've still been in the same slump since he has left. Only a new permanent manager will we see how right or wrong we were.

Ah yes, those fixtures that he knew nothing about and couldn't adjust his team accordingly.

We lost 2 of our winter games. But that's the fault of the congestion is it? Did you even watch us in any of these games? I mean, fully watch rather than look at highlights?

Well yeah obviously we'd like Ashley out. We're not using anybody as a scapegoat. I have simply called him out on his bullshít tactics and how he had us playing.

But please do tell us all how Newcastle fans are all fickle and deluded because I need to be put back in my box from the sudden experts who follow us closer than we do.

Jesus, and they say that Newcastle fans are deluded... HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Yeah, we had something to offer. He had us playing well. It was enjoyable. Funny how he couldn't get us working again with the same team the following season eh?

The great David Moyes who had very little money to spend due to financial constraints but managed to have a hard working team fighting in nearly every game? The David Moyes who got on with his job and had Everton playing a great band of football with a small enough squad who finished high up the Premier League nearly every season?

Funny how the great Alan Pardew couldn't do the same under the same financial constraints eh?

Do we?

We want Ashley out. There's supposedly a few protests planned with many supporters hoping to hit Ashley in the pocket by not going to the Spurs game.

Whether it happens or not is a different story.

We know that Ashley is the problem but this is a discussion about Pardew. Pardew was not a very good manager for us. Like all managers who perform badly, they are prone to getting a bit of stick.

When Newcastle do it, we're all seen as a pack of idiots for some reason.
    If you bothered your hole to read the entire post, I was replying to that poster who is an Arsenal fan.

Of course we're not comparable to Arsenal FFS.
    Care to have an actual debate or continue with childish goading?
    I await his reply. And yours for that matter.
    Not my thread no.

Yes, within the context of the post. I only mentioned Arsenal briefly because the poster in question is a fan of them.

The crux of the argument was not Arsenal v Newcastle.

I have mentioned Ashley as a significant problem too but Pardew certainly played a very big part in Newcastle's poor results.

We didn't replace him... Carver is part of Newcastle's back room staff and was Pardew's number 2. Him, Steve Stone and the rest were there already. They're not up to the job just like Pardew wasn't in the end.

It's the same abysmal tactics yet again from a man who is not premier league management level.

As you've repeatedly pointed out, our points average with Carver has been poor and proves this fact.

He's doing well in his honeymoon period alright. He did the same at West Ham, Charlton and Newcastle and fell away completely. But look, he's doing well right now. Will it last? History says probably not but you never know.

Of course it was directed at you for ignoring key parts of that particular post.

:pac:

I really should have left it there Keno. :pac:

Ha ha ha! If he had stuck to his word, I'd have been denied this cracker!
    ...passionate swearing is allowed as long as the the language in question is not directed at other users.
    Of course it was directed at you...

Ha ha ha! If he had stuck to his word, I'd have been denied this cracker!

I was paraphrasing the charter.

IF I had told you to "fúck off", I'd have been rightly reprimanded for abuse.

Did I? Nope. I pointed out that you blatantly ignored part of my previous post using an angry tone with language that probably gets bandied about on this forum on a daily basis.

If you're actually offended by it then I take it back.

think the words that are in bold sum up your post. not dealing with what happened, more what ifs
    So he didn't manage only 6th in the Championship in his second season at West Ham? So he didn't get sacked at West Ham after presiding over our worst losing run in 70 years? Didn't relegate Charlton and get sacked after leaving them in the relegation zone in the Championship? Didn't have mass fan protests against him at Charlton? Didn't fail to get Southampton promoted from League One? Am I still dealing in "what ifs"? If not, then would you mind not ignoring most of my points?

I think a good thing to note is that of all the teams he's managed, I don't think any of the fans of those teams would have fond memories of him as manager. And at least three of those had massive fan protests during his reign.

I was paraphrasing the charter.

IF I had told you to "fúck off", I'd have been rightly reprimanded for abuse.

Did I? Nope. I pointed out that you blatantly ignored part of my previous post using an angry tone with language that probably gets bandied about on this forum on a daily basis.

If you're actually offended by it then I take it back.
    To be honest, I'd bow out if I were you. None of the posters in question have had the "privilege" of Pardew managing their club. Haven't had the privilege of his antics like "***allegedly***" sleeping with a player's wife or basically telling a player diagnosed with cancer to f*ck off and find another club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

People judging Pardew at Palace a success already are incredibly short sighted.

He has an immediate jump forward, then he stagnates and goes stale. Pardew at Palace should be judged in 18 months time. Of course, it will be then pointed out that Palace are strugglers and that he would be best suited elsewhere afterall.

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    People judging Pardew at Palace a success already are incredibly short sighted.

He has an immediate jump forward, then he stagnates and goes stale. Pardew at Palace should be judged in 18 months time. Of course, it will be then pointed out that Palace are strugglers and that he would be best suited elsewhere afterall.

Palace are likely to struggle, given their limited resources. If he keeps them up at all, that's an achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

City to offer Pardew a huge deal to come save their season now?:D

City to offer Pardew a huge deal to come save their season now?:D

#manageroftheyear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

#manageroftheyear

If he manages to save 2 struggling clubs in one season hes a shoe in.:)

Top drawer journalism from a Pulitzer Prize winning periodical.

Alan Pardew deserves credit, and not just for revival at Crystal Palace

http://gu.com/p/47e93

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Palace are likely to struggle, given their limited resources. If he keeps them up at all, that's an achievement.

Kudos, extremely impressive to be saying a record amount of words without saying anything at all.

If he does well, you're oh so right and the Newcastle fans are all stupid. If he doesn't do well, oh no, you weren't wrong, it was Palace's fault.

CSF wrote: »
    Kudos, extremely impressive to be saying a record amount of words without saying anything at all.

If he does well, you're oh so right and the Newcastle fans are all stupid. If he doesn't do well, oh no, you weren't wrong, it was Palace's fault.

I'll break it down nice and simple for you. Try and focus hard now.

- To keep Palace up would be a good achievement, given their limited resources. He would deserve credit for this.

- To finish mid table would be a massive achievement, given their limited resources. He would deserve credit for this, perhaps even another gong.

- If they go down, it's a failure. How big a failure depends on how badly they performed. And he would take the blame proportionate to that level of performance. Rock bottom with single digit points? Sack him. Fought bravely, and went down on goal difference? Not a total shock, it's not like Palace are anything but relegation contenders anyway, is it? Unless you're deluded... Still the buck stops with him.

Clear?

If Pardew got Palace relegated he would be as bad as Holloway and Warnock were and you know it.

There are always enough bad teams in the Premier League to stay up even if you're only slightly decent.

Stinks of you looking for an argument of how even if you are wrong you're not really wrong.

If Pardew got Palace relegated he would be as bad as Holloway and Warnock were and you know it.

There are always enough bad teams in the Premier League to stay up even if you're only slightly decent.

Stinks of you looking for an argument of how even if you are wrong you're not really wrong.

Welcome to the internet, my friend.

• Advertisement

Welcome to the internet, my friend.

Eh what?

Eh what?

I disagree with you. Deal with it.

I disagree with you. Deal with it.

I am dealing with it, by pointing out your inability to put together logical arguments that don't just base around the other side being deluded.

I am dealing with it, by pointing out your inability to put together logical arguments that don't just base around the other side being deluded.

See above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

See above.

How old are you?

How old are you?

We are not discussing my personal details..

We are discussing Alan Pardew. Feel free to join in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

We are not discussing my personal details..

We are discussing Alan Pardew. Feel free to join in.

No thanks, judging by some of your posts you sound childish and immature so I'd rather not.

Thanks for the offer tho!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Quit the childish bickering please.

Thing is there are so many of the clubs in lower echelons of the Premier League that he can keep hopping to and temporarily boosting them to improve his reputation and people will ignore the stale period.

Then he will get the England job and the same will happen.

dfx- wrote: »
    Quit the childish bickering please.

Thing is there are so many of the clubs in lower echelons of the Premier League that he can keep hopping to and temporarily boosting them to improve his reputation and people will ignore the stale period.

Then he will get the England job and the same will happen.

So Newcastle are performing poorly only due to Pardew?

So Newcastle are performing poorly only due to Pardew?

Nobody has said or implied this. Strawman argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd like to ask all those fans who seem to be gloating that Pardew is initially doing well at Palace: If you had the choice, would you take him at your club?
    Absolutely.
    Out of interest, your club is?
    :)

This is an eh...unhelpful contribution imo.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This is an eh...unhelpful contribution imo.

I answered later on. What's your point though? Elaborate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Yeah, all those protests against Keegan and Hughton were disgraceful.... Oh wait.

Anger is well and truly with Ashley. But we should be happy that the club is being run into the ground for the sake of gaining a profit I suppose yeah?

Sorry but how is a club that is turning a profit being run in to the ground? Either your hatred for Pardew is clouding your judgement or you have a complete lack of understanding of business.

Aidric wrote: »
    Sorry but how is a club that is turning a profit being run in to the ground? Either your hatred for Pardew is clouding your judgement or you have a complete lack of understanding of business.

Well that depends entirely on who is benefitting from the profit. Thin line between prudential business and asset stripping and all that kind of jazz.

Well that depends entirely on who is benefitting from the profit. Thin line between prudential business and asset stripping and all that kind of jazz.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/a/assetstripping.asp

Hmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Pardew has done an excellent job so far at Palace but can we at least wait until this time next season which allows for Newcastle to actually appointment a proper replacement and for said replacement and Pardew to have a full season in charge of their respective sides before definitively defining the move as a success or otherwise for either party?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Aidric wrote: »

Relegation, zero interest in cup competitions, regular hammerings, atrocious to the point of non existent PR, regularly humiliating and disrespecting club legends. Zero ambition, all this profit you speak of, where does it go? It goes right into Mike Ashley's businesses and back pocket. One of the lowest net spends, and we are the ONLY club in the EPL who have experienced a DROP in match day revenue. The only club.

Yeah, us deluded Geordies should be so grateful we have Mike Ashley in charge. :rolleyes:

Supporting a club for 25 years and seeing countless crap managers, I know one when I see one. And Alan Pardew was one of the worst. End of story. 25 years. That's at least twice as long as "lifelong Sunderland fan" who's never once posted in the Sunderland thread Saipanne has been alive.

At least 90% of people posting in this thread are not qualified to give an opinion on Newcastle United.

Ashley is the problem but does that mean Pardew was exempt or didn't deserve the vitriol he got? **** no.

We are football fans. We are all qualified.

You'd swear there was a rule where only fans of teams may comment on their own team. :rolleyes:

Besides, if your rule is true, why we're you commenting on Crystal Palaces affairs? You're not qualified! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

We are football fans. We are all qualified.

You'd swear there was a rule where only fans of teams may comment on their own team. :rolleyes:

Besides, if your rule is true, why we're you commenting on Crystal Palaces affairs? You're not qualified! :rolleyes:

Last I checked 90 doesn't equal 100.

I'm not commenting on Palace. I'm commenting on a man who managed my club for over 4 years.

Further discussion with you is pointless really. Toodles.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Last I checked 90 doesn't equal 100.

I'm not commenting on Palace. I'm commenting on a man who managed my club for over 4 years.

Further discussion with you is pointless really. Toodles.

That's fine by me. It leaves us free to discuss Pardews glorious run of form.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Ah, Saipanne is a Sunderland fan. I would never have guessed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement