Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enhancing my network

Options
  • 29-12-2014 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Right, so i'm looking for someone of knowledge to help me pick a decent budget product for my needs.

Here is my network setup as it stands:

- Horizon Box 200mb connection in the sitting room downstairs
    - Main Entertainment hub is in a room upstairs, possibly thirty metres from the horizon box through the sitting room walls and that one rooms walls.
    - One 300mbps Tp-link extender inside the room in question connected directly by ethernet to my PC / PS4 as needed (Before you ask, there's no where decent to put the extender between the devices)

As for performance:

- A laptop upstairs connecting through the extender will get about 5-6mb/s download.
    - Main PC on range extender gives a speed test of maybe 80-90 mb. Without can be as low as 5-10mb. Seems to partially be down to the wi-fi card on this device as well as the poor signal though.

What my needs are:

- Basically, for as reasonable a price as possible, I want to boost the signal coming out of the reasonably crap horizon device.
    - I need all devices upstairs (excluding laptop) to get to at least the 80-90 mb range. Happy to directly connect ethernet to TV, PS4 and PC if I can.
    - Obviously want the general wi-fi boosted a little too.

I have been looking at this device. From what I can gather, the device with one ethernet connects to the horizon box and boosts it at the source. Then I could use the other 500mbps receiver and hook it up with two ethernet's to my TV and PS4, while using my existing 300mbps receiver to hook up to my PC.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/networking-and-connectivity/internet-extenders/tp-link-powerline-wi-fi-extender-av500.html

Does this solution seem viable? Am I overthinking it / overpaying for it? Would you recommend any better solutions for me (without movement of any equipment)? Any help would be much appreciated. Want to get the purchase in before the week is out while the sales are on.

(P.S., it's better if any suggested devices can be found in harvey norman as I can get staff prices there, however please link any good amazon or otherwise deals too, price limit around 80E tops).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

run a cable and get a 4 port switch for your other devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep. Hardwire it.

Range extenders give you a 50% throughput loss at perfect signal levels. Which means that devices talking to the range extender can at most only access 25% of the original bandwidth.

Measure out the functional distance between the horizon box and the room upstairs, add 10% and buy a Cat 6 cable of that length. Drill nice neat holes in floors and ceilings, run the cable upstairs, Plug it into one of these and connect your devices upstairs to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Unfortunately wiring isn't an option as I amen't the homeowner, needs to be as good as it gets wireless kind of deal. If I could get all devices to get 80mb reasonably cheaply i'd be happy enough like. Already get that with one extender to the PC. Just need a better solution for all devices. Would the product I linked be OK for that purpose? Thanks for the suggestions though guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Maybe look into Homeplug devices - uses your houses electrical wiring as a network. Not cheap but might 'do' - note, the suggest speeds depend on the wiring in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Maybe look into Homeplug devices - uses your houses electrical wiring as a network. Not cheap but might 'do' - note, the suggest speeds depend on the wiring in the house.

The one I linked originally uses powerline also, one hooks up to the box and then i'll have two ports on the other end for hooking up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

brainiac wrote: »
    The one I linked originally uses powerline also, one hooks up to the box and then i'll have two ports on the other end for hooking up.
    brainiac wrote: »

What you linked is exactly what you need to give you best speeds, you can daisy chain a switch to give you more lan ports

Advertisement