Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paintball Mask With Base Jump (Or Similar) Helmet?

Options
  • 29-12-2014 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

Gonna rig up son's new VForce Profiler mask ( http://www.airsoftgi.com/images/airsoft_VFRCE_Profiler_OD_Tan_A.jpg ) with his FAST helmet ( http://www.airsofteire.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&category_id=35&product_id=1991&Itemid=26 ). There are a couple of videos out there that suggest modding the helmets to accommodate the mask by removing some padding is the way to go.

Mask was double the price of the helmet, so modding the helmet seems better than modding the mask.

I think I'm handy/inventive enough to come up with a decent solution myself, but I'd like to see or read some more attempts as reference, and to get more ideas before launching into any work.

Anyone out there done this kind of job, or found a decent write-up or video of a similar job?

Ideally the solution will be comfy, secure, semi-permanent (so he can use the mask on its own or attached to the helmet), and will involve the minimum of permanent destruction to either the mask or the helmet.

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭brenak47

Looking at the pics its not going to be easy i don't think.The top of the mask sits higher than where the helmet sit on the fore head so when fitted together i think the helmet is going to sit very high and loose.U will need to put each on separate and mark where they sit on his fore head and see where they over lap other wise it will be alot of work for nothing.This is my opinion on how i would go about it.Hope it works out as it would look class.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Thanks Brenak47.

Yeah, we've had them in place on his head/face, and it does look really cool. Not faithful to the SEAL/DEVGRU loadout he's going for, but better pro for his face, which as his dad is my main concern... :o

The helmet does sit a bit high, but not so high that it would be un-playable, and it's still pretty solid/not wobbly. The main prob is that the helmet strap is too tight and uncomfy.

I think the mod of removing some/all of the padding at the front of the helmet (forehead) will work fine - the helmet will sit lower because the mask will sit up under the helmet, rather than butting up to it, and that may result in the strap fastening without being too tight.

I'm guessing that the great venting/non-fogging that the Profiler is capable of might be compromised by fitting the vents up inside the helmet - heat/condensation won't escape as freely, though the vents in the top of the helmet will probably help to an extent. But there are dual-pane lenses available for the Profiler (it comes with a single-pane), so if there are fogging issues, we'll just have to save up for a (allegedly) non-fogging dual-pane jobbie.

I'll take pics and/or vids of what we do, just in case we do a good job... ;)

Mark

Removed firm foam forehead padding (velcro & 2 screws - these screws also secure the helmet's strap).

Adjusted the helmet's size-adjuster to its longest reach, allowing me to attach the remaining soft forehead padding to the velcro that the firm padding had been attached to.

Fed the mask's strap through the helmet's strap system at the back of the helmet (detach & re-attach the mask's strap to do this).

Routed the helmet's straps outside the mask.

Hooked the helmet's two bungees to slots in the chin of the mask.

The helmet and mask are now effectively one single unit - pretty solid, with almost no flex (not unlike how it might be if the two were made as a single unit), unless you pull on them deliberately.

No permanent altering or modification of either mask or helmet.

The helmet is size L/XL, which I'm sure made this work better than if he'd got a size S/M, even though the S/M would probably be a better fit for him if used on its own.

I put some duct tape inside the forehead of the helmet to hopefully give some protection to the mask's lens. I suspect that it will still get scutched, but it shouldn't affect his view or gaming.

The whole thing seems to slip on quite easily, nothing digs in too firmly, mask doesn't seem to fog, looks badass!

The forehead of the mask does dig in on my head when I try it on, but not on son's when he wears it.

Pretty happy with it. He'll have to play a few games to be sure it's good-to-go, or if it needs tweaks, but I'm optimistic that it'll be fine.

Helmet is slightly askew in the front-on pic, but it's been fine every time he's tried it on since then - just needs a little care when putting it on...

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Adzski

Looks like a good job.....no BB's sneaking in there :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Reminds me of the jt paintball full head shield without the visor attached

• Advertisement

Located, thank f...

Lost... Unf**ckingbelievable.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057359177

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Mark#1 wrote: »
    Located, thank f...

Lost... Unf**ckingbelievable.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057359177

Get yourself a gym sack and tie it on to a backpack

Yep. Deffo need to get a routine transport system sorted for all his gear.

Advertisement