Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January Wildcard

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

manual_man wrote: »
    well, if your squad was in bad shape, non-players/injuries, players off to Asia Cup or ACON, factoring in imminent price changes, i can see scenarios where some have pushed the button already

How is that a reason to play it now instead of tonight when all the matches have been played and you have the full picture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

CSF wrote: »
    How is that a reason to play it now instead of tonight when all the matches have been played and you have the full picture?

lol. because nothing would be changing your mind in terms of playing it straight away, is that not obvious. i'm sure there's people out there that have all 3 of Jedinak/Bony/Yaya, that alone could be enough of a reason to have pushed the button already, add in a couple of injuries, factor in imminent price changes... and it could easily be a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

lol. because nothing would be changing your mind in terms of playing it straight away, is that not obvious. i'm sure there's people out there that have all 3 of Jedinak/Bony/Yaya, that alone could be enough of a reason to have pushed the button already, add in a couple of injuries, factor in imminent price changes... and it could easily be a no-brainer.

Or else cant handle over a week with no league action so say f**k it a million transfers this week to entertain myself!

I'm sorry but you're not making any sense at all here. Even if you had Bony/Jedinak/Toure in your team, what would be the benefit of playing it now instead of tonight after all the games have been played?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

I'm sorry but you're not making any sense at all here. Even if you had Bony/Jedinak/Toure in your team, what would be the benefit of playing it now instead of tonight after all the games have been played?

Yer both right lads now lets watch all the points flow in :)

Yer both right lads now lets watch all the points flow in :)

What? How is he right? He's not making any valid points. I'm still waiting for one possible benefit, other than a list of reasons of why people might do it even though it wouldn't be to their benefit

look, there's seriously no debating with you. if you can't understand my points, or simply refuse to acknowledge that what might be good for me/you might not be good for someone else, then so be it. i give you a clear answer, and then you simply reply with the same question. lol. i'm all for constructive debate, but this is not it. good day

look, there's seriously no debating with you. if you can't understand my points, or simply refuse to acknowledge that what might be good for me/you might not be good for someone else, then so be it. i give you a clear answer, and then you simply reply with the same question. lol. i'm all for constructive debate, but this is not it. good day

No seriously, I'm not even being aggressive here, I just genuinely need to know what the benefit is. You haven't made a point other than 'they might have players going to the African Nations', but how is that a reason to play it before all the games have been played?

No seriously, I'm not even being aggressive here, I just genuinely need to know what the benefit is. You haven't made a point other than 'they might have players going to the African Nations', but how is that a reason to play it before all the games have been played?

You're just being plain insulting now

Good day

• Advertisement

You're just being plain insulting now

Good day

I'm not, I'm genuinely asking, that's how debates work, I make points, you make counterpoints.

I don't understand why you're making out like this is a personal thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm going out tonight so if I'm playing it I'm playing it in the next 2hrs, which I probably will

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

By the same token, if you're planning on playing it this evening what possible benefit is there in waiting? What could possibly happen in the meantime that would change their mind? ACON called off? Players becoming un-injured?

By the same token, if you're planning on playing it this evening what possible benefit is there in waiting? What could possibly happen in the meantime that would change their mind? ACON called off? Players becoming un-injured?

To play a wildcard you've to make transfers, take players out of your team. Most players in good teams have accumulated a .1 or 2 over the course of the season.

To play a wildcard you've to make transfers, take players out of your team. Most players in good teams have accumulated a .1 or 2 over the course of the season.

That's not an argument against using the wildcard though, that's an argument against transferring out players who you have value tied up in, which is an entirely separate argument which actually makes sense.

That's not an argument against using the wildcard though, that's an argument against transferring out players who you have value tied up in, which is an entirely separate argument which actually makes sense.

Most players have value tied up in them at this stage of the year. Certainly the African Nations players that people have would.

That aside, you're being offered an extra 10 Premier League games to decide on playing the wildcard and refusing it. All decisions should be made with the full picture, it's why we avoid transfers until the last possible minute, even though we know we are going to make them.

Those guys who transfer in on the first week of the game week, a lot of the time they get away with no impact. That doesn't make the decision any less poor. Different circumstances for sure, but the theme is the same. The good FPL players (and Lord knows Im not necessarily one) will make all decisions with every possible titbit of information available to them.

• Advertisement

Most players have value tied up in them at this stage of the year. Certainly the African Nations players that people have would.

That aside, you're being offered an extra 10 Premier League games to decide on playing the wildcard and refusing it. All decisions should be made with the full picture, it's why we avoid transfers until the last possible minute, even though we know we are going to make them.

Those guys who transfer in on the first week of the game week, a lot of the time they get away with no impact. That doesn't make the decision any less poor. Different circumstances for sure, but the theme is the same. The good FPL players (and Lord knows Im not necessarily one) will make all decisions with every possible titbit of information available to them.

I agree that using all available information is important, but I don't agree that this means activating your wildcard now is always, or even mostly, a bad thing to do.

I have Bony, no value tied up in him, makes no difference if I axe him now, this evening or next week. If his replacement gets injured that's no problem, I can change it up again. I will still have all available information while the wildcard is active.

I agree that using all available information is important, but I don't agree that this means activating your wildcard now is always, or even mostly, a bad thing to do.

I have Bony, no value tied up in him, makes no difference if I axe him now, this evening or next week. If his replacement gets injured that's no problem, I can change it up again. I will still have all available information while the wildcard is active.

You're looking at it as a Bony situation, rather than a wildcard situation. If you scored 100 points today (or even very highly) you may no longer want to wildcard, you may consider it and decide you still do, but you should be giving yourself that decision to make, not putting yourself in a situation where you've no choice.

10 games in FPL is such a long time. The point is that if you're right in the decision that you were going to wildcard, you gain nothing, if you were wrong you lose out big time.

You're looking at it as a Bony situation, rather than a wildcard situation. If you scored 100 points today (or even very highly) you may no longer want to wildcard, you may consider it and decide you still do, but you should be giving yourself that decision to make, not putting yourself in a situation where you've no choice.

10 games in FPL is such a long time. The point is that if you're right in the decision that you were going to wildcard, you gain nothing, if you were wrong you lose out big time.

Fair enough, I'd agree with that last bit. But if you're absolutely, positively going to use the wildcard anyway (for example, if you have a few of Bony, Yaya, Jedinak, Yun, Moore, Wilson, Duff etc) then there's no loss.

Fair enough, I'd agree with that last bit. But if you're absolutely, positively going to use the wildcard anyway (for example, if you have a few of Bony, Yaya, Jedinak, Yun, Moore, Wilson, Duff etc) then there's no loss.

Ok agreed on that part, but in the interest of balance, even in those extreme circumstances you've mentioned, there's no benefit either.

Ok agreed on that part, but in the interest of balance, even in those extreme circumstances you've mentioned, there's no benefit either.

No benefit, no loss, everyone's a winner!

• Advertisement

No benefit, no loss, everyone's a winner!

Exactly, and that's in the most extreme case. In more realistic cases its putting yourself at an unnecessary disadvantage, similar to making your transfers on the first day of the gameweek, it's just a pointless risk that nobody needs to take. Nobody benefits from doing it, some will suffer, others will get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Wildcard activated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

spock. wrote: »
    Wildcard activated.

Tempted to do the same, fcuk this expensive defence craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Front line

Kane Costa Falcao. With cash for Aguero kept.

Midfield

Sanchez Hazard Silva Boyd Sterling

Defence

Terry Wisdom Cissoko Wassa (Leicester) O Shea

Goalkeeper

De gea + 4.0

Opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Pushed the button myself:

De Gea Murphy
    Fonte Hutton Wisdom O Shea Chester
    Cesc Sterling Walcott Sigurdson Erikson
    Costa Aguero Kane

Those front 3 are no brainers for me. Would like to have Sanchez in for Walcott, but don't want to downgrade any others so I'll take the risk. Walcott is a FF demon when he's playing, so I'm hoping he will be a differential for me.

Playing around at the moment. Biggest decision is Fab+Falcao or Sterling+Costa. Spare money for Aguero then.

aWriw1f.jpg

Playing around at the moment. Biggest decision is Fab+Falcao or Sterling+Costa. Spare money for Aguero then.

aWriw1f.jpg

Any thoughts on this? Think I might activate though I'll probably regret it tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Now a good time to play it to cash in on 10 day break?

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Now a good time to play it to cash in on 10 day break?
    If you're doing it this week, defo, lap up all the price rises and avoid the price drops.

Why won't it let me use the Jan wildcard?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Why won't it let me use the Jan wildcard?

Make 2 transfers and it will light up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

De Gea or Lloris as the keeper?

dahat wrote: »
    De Gea or Lloris as the keeper?

I've activated now and got De Gea in as he might rise tonight...not sure if I'll keep him though.

dahat wrote: »
    Front line

Kane Costa Falcao. With cash for Aguero kept.

Midfield

Sanchez Hazard Silva Boyd Sterling

Defence

Terry Wisdom Cissoko Wassa (Leicester) O Shea

Goalkeeper

De gea + 4.0

Opinions?

I really like it. Too much perhaps, as now I'm thinking about my shiny new wildcard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

First draft:

Panti Heaton
    Terry Alderwiereld Wisdom Hutton Wasilewski
    Sanchez ADM Hazard Sterling Boyd
    Jovetic Costa Kane

Have enough to upgrade Jovetic to Aguero.What do ye think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

got drunk
    activated :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I think I'll wildcard, but not tonight. The only riser I'm interested in who I don't have is Hutton and he has very tough games in the next 4.

Fun fact: Kane is getting more NTI than the next million players combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I think I'll wildcard, but not tonight. The only riser I'm interested in who I don't have is Hutton and he has very tough games in the next 4.

Fun fact: Kane is getting more NTI than the next million players combined.

1 Million you say!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Hmmm, did another draft and I'm very happy with it. Thing is, I'm left with 0.0m in the bank (team includes Augero dont worry). 2 Questions:

1. If I activate wildcard now, can I still make changes until 10th of January, yeah?

2. Should I activate it now to ensure I don't get f*cked over with price changes?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Hmmm, did another draft and I'm very happy with it. Thing is, I'm left with 0.0m in the bank (team includes Augero dont worry). 2 Questions:

1. If I activate wildcard now, can I still make changes until 10th of January, yeah?

2. Should I activate it now to ensure I don't get f*cked over?

Cheers.

Activate it at the end and the points hits won't apply

8-10 wrote: »
    Activate it at the end and the points hits won't apply

Sorry, I didn't type that right, I corrected it now. I meant Should I activate it now to ensure I don't get f*cked over with price changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Sorry, I didn't type that right, I corrected it now. I meant Should I activate it now to ensure I don't get f*cked over with price changes?
    Your interest is to activate it the latest possible so that all your transfers are weighting in (since WC transfers are weighted out).

And now that I see your 1st question, you can make transfers before, during and/or after activating your WC and whenever you'll activate it it'll wipe out all your previous, present and future transfers (for the very GW you're using it of course :p) so whether you were/are/will be on a 4 pts hit or a 400 pts hit doesn't matter at all :D.

Annoying. I want to activate wild card to take advantage of price rises but can ony make one change now or else I'll lose value on some players. Now I can't activate the wildcard.

iroced wrote: »
    Your interest is to activate it the latest possible so that all your transfers are weighting in (since WC transfers are weighted out).

Thanks for the feedback, I played my Wildcard in the end! Will probably regret it :)

So here is how it looks:

Panti

Terry Alderweireld Hutton

Hazard Silva Sanchez Chadli

Kane Costa Austin

Subs: Heaton, Duff, Bruce, Marney

I have enough funds to bring Augero in for Austin.

I've bulked up in defence with Terry and Alder. Cover at the back spans between Southampton, Chelsea, Villa, Sunderland and Burnley so this should do me till end of season.

I have an additional 0.2m to "upgrade" my cheapie defenders if needs be, i.e. Duff and Bruce.

If I want that 4th premium midfielder, I can always take Terry out and bring Sterling or Di Maria in for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

After a few good weeks a disaster of a week ,26pts and Kane sitting on bench as first sub,Zabaleta has cost me dearly last few games...half considering WC!
    What do people mean by you will gain from rises but not be hit by price falls over ten day break?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Annoying. I want to activate wild card to take advantage of price rises but can ony make one change now or else I'll lose value on some players. Now I can't activate the wildcard.
    I don't get what you're writing.

But to be clear, you can activate your WC anytime between now and the next deadline.
    If there's only 1 change you're happy with now so be it go for it and you'll make the other change later, tomorrow, in 5 days, on deadline day, it doesn't matter.
    Thanks for the feedback, I played my Wildcard in the end! Will probably regret it :)
    Did you activate it? If so you probably shouldn't and have stayed on a 12/16/20 pts hit (whatever the amount of transfers you made is) until deadline day and activate WC then.
    This year WC transfers are not included in price changes. So if you activated it, the players you brought in and the ones you ditched won't count in the price change calculation.
    What do people mean by you will gain from rises but not be hit by price falls over ten day break?
    I guess they meant if you're on WC you can get in rising players whenever you want and ditch dropping players at anytime (and even buy them back cheaper).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Really don't like all the uncertainty among the cheap defenders I was looking at getting....

PVA/Yun/Duff - out for a few weeks
    S.Taylor - out for the season
    Davies - place lost (or at least under serious threat)
    Newcastle/West Brom - new managers, hard to know who'll play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Anyone have any view on Panti v's De Gea for the rest of the season? De Gea has nice fixtures but Panti is fairly consistent i.e. even if Panti loses a clean sheet he usually gets a few save points at least.

2. Should I activate it now to ensure I don't get f*cked over with price changes?

Cheers.
    http://fantasy.premierleague.com/rules/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

have not had Sanchez all season and he is now 11.4
    is it crazy to wildcard and not get him in? he eats up a lot of budget and Walcott is edging closer to fitness :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement