Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January Wildcard

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

km79 wrote: »
    would you pay 11.4 for Sanchez ? I had convinced myself no as I'm very late to the party and he looked tired over Xmas ......but another goal assist today

He's going to end up one of the top scorers in the game so yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Gits_bone wrote: »
    He's going to end up one of the top scorers in the game so yes.

I guess my question is this......for 2 million extra over all the alternatives will he put score them by enough to justify having him and a weaker forward over say a 9ml mid and decent striker!
    if only walcott was fitter.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

dahat wrote: »
    Super article on defence options for the WC

http://allthingsfpl.com/?p=14750

Only getting round to reading this now.

Wow.

And a great website I didn't use before. Many thanks dahat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ITWT

FHFC wrote: »
    Only getting round to reading this now.

Wow.

And a great website I didn't use before. Many thanks dahat!

Just popping on to say thanks for all your kind words about our article and site. Much appreciated :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

ITWT wrote: »
    Just popping on to say thanks for all your kind words about our article and site. Much appreciated :D

Many thanks again for the article. Cracking stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

I guess my question is this......for 2 million extra over all the alternatives will he put score them by enough to justify having him and a weaker forward over say a 9ml mid and decent striker!
    if only walcott was fitter.........
    Bar Aguero no forward seems a must have. Diego Costa can be replaced with Fab or Haz to double them up in midfield (and save about £2m which would make up for Sanchez extra £2m). Sanchez has the best pts per game ratio despite his missed pen and playing 2 half (or less) games. He's a safe option right now. Maybe in a couple of GWs Walcott will prove better value for money but currently he only rustily played a Cup game.

Your question is legitimate though. Maybe if you post your proposed team without Sanchez and with Sanchez we could give you a better answer ;).

Opinions on this...

Screenshot attached.

iroced wrote: »
    Bar Aguero no forward seems a must have. Diego Costa can be replaced with Fab or Haz to double them up in midfield (and save about £2m which would make up for Sanchez extra £2m). Sanchez has the best pts per game ratio despite his missed pen and playing 2 half (or less) games. He's a safe option right now. Maybe in a couple of GWs Walcott will prove better value for money but currently he only rustily played a Cup game.

Your question is legitimate though. Maybe if you post your proposed team without Sanchez and with Sanchez we could give you a better answer ;).

Not interested in a fit Sturridge in a Liverpool side whose creativity is off the charts since switching to a 3-4-3 hybrid thingy ;) 5 Gameweeks

Most Goal Attempts - 95
    Most Shots on Target - 39
    Most Key Passes - 77

Sturridge was averaging 4.33 goal attempts before England duty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

That's a very nice team - can't see anything I'd change there. Only comment is it might be worth having a plan in place to bring Aguero in in a couple of weeks. I presume you would just downgrade one of your midfielders, but it's a big jump in price from Ings/Kane up to Aguero, so might be worth thinking about before the end of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Just registered with you and will be reading every week.

That's a very nice team - can't see anything I'd change there. Only comment is it might be worth having a plan in place to bring Aguero in in a couple of weeks. I presume you would just downgrade one of your midfielders, but it's a big jump in price from Ings/Kane up to Aguero, so might be worth thinking about before the end of the week.

Very very likely to be Costa to Aguero.

As a follow on from Aguero I will likely sell Silva and Jones to get Fab plus whatever sort of defender I can.

Your question is legitimate though. Maybe if you post your proposed team without Sanchez and with Sanchez we could give you a better answer wink.png.
    Not interested in a fit Sturridge in a Liverpool side whose creativity is off the charts since switching to a 3-4-3 hybrid thingy ;) 5 Gameweeks

Most Goal Attempts - 95
    Most Shots on Target - 39
    Most Key Passes - 77

Sturridge was averaging 4.33 goal attempts before England duty

Sorry mate, by no way I'm trying to be offensive but I didn't get a word from your post and the link with my quoted one?

Is it a question you ask? I'm not even sure you rate or not Sturridge :o...

Sorry mate, by no way I'm trying to be offensive but I didn't get a word from your post and the link with my quoted one?

No worries :D

First line about Kun being the only must have forward. If Liverpool continue their offensive form, Sturridge could be golden.

Only sticking point are the fixtures

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

would you pay 11.4 for Sanchez ? I had convinced myself no as I'm very late to the party and he looked tired over Xmas ......but another goal assist today

Ye I would you are still only paying 1.1 more maximum than the rest of us. Aguero hazard sanchez are the 3 best captaincy options in the game imo. You also have to factor in you have a bigger budget now than the 100 million you started the season with so sanchez isn't eating up as big a proportion of your budget as it may seem. The advantage of getting him at a high price is you can move him on quicker than most will also. If getting Falcao means no sanchez Id leave Falcao. Will he even start with adm back. I'd even go 352 to get sanchez in I think he will outscore all strikers bar Aguero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I think it was about Sturridge being a consideration for must have - based on the first line of your previous post :)

-edit-

oops, didn't see the response from ITWT :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Opinions on this...

Screenshot attached.

Cracking team.
    Money left over too for Costa -> Aguero.

Edit: the only possible change I would make is a move to facilitate a Sterling -> Fab move down the line.
    I'm guessing Ings will be benched most weeks out of that front 8?
    If so, I would switch him to Barnes, save over 1m and if Sterling isn't firing by the time Aguero comes back, then you could do the Chelsea double in midfield.

PARlance wrote: »
    Cracking team.
    Money left over too for Costa -> Aguero.

Edit: the only possible change I would make is a move to facilitate a Sterling -> Fab move down the line.
    I'm guessing Ings will be benched most weeks out of that front 8?
    If so, I would switch him to Barnes, save over 1m and if Sterling isn't firing by the time Aguero comes back, then you could do the Chelsea double in midfield.

Ings to Barnes is a good shout, Sterling is on trial if you like. Did consider Coutinho as well.

The Chelsea double is in my plans, Silva to Fab when I do Costa to Aguero. I would like to keep Liverpool cover of sorts if they are playing well so likely to hold Sterling/Coutinho/Henderson if possible.

Berahino is another on watching as it looks like WBA will sell him,5.4 and likely to end up at a decent club.

Ings to Barnes is a good shout, Sterling is on trial if you like. Did consider Coutinho as well.

The Chelsea double is in my plans, Silva to Fab when I do Costa to Aguero. I would like to keep Liverpool cover of sorts if they are playing well so likely to hold Sterling/Coutinho/Henderson if possible.

Berahino is another on watching as it looks like WBA will sell him,5.4 and likely to end up at a decent club.

Ah yes, It didn't really jump out that you would have Silva & Aguero after that move (Monday morning). Silva -> Fab covers that and I think Sterling will deliver so a much better balance that way.

I would be tempted to work DDG in there but I'm not a fan of rotating keepers.

I'd be very surprised if Barnes doesn't lose his place to vokes in the next few weeks. Although Barnes has played really well of late ings and vokes have a great partnership.

Ings to Barnes is a good shout,

Sam Vokes could be in the team soon for Burnley and that could affect Barnes position in the team. Might be one to keep an eye on

• Advertisement

I'd be very surprised if Barnes doesn't lose his place to vokes in the next few weeks. Although Barnes has played really well of late ings and vokes have a great partnership.

My pony is slow :(

Guess Ings is best left there unless I gamble on Berahino as 3rd striker in the 3-5-2.

If I put in De Gea then I have to look at Jones as even though I'm a Utd fan I'm not keen on 3 options.

I was keen on WBA and VIlla cover so keepers was my best way to do that, granted I will get it wrong at times but I'm aware of that.

Guess Ings is best left there unless I gamble on Berahino as 3rd striker in the 3-5-2.

If I put in De Gea then I have to look at Jones as even though I'm a Utd fan I'm not keen on 3 options.

I was keen on WBA and VIlla cover so keepers was my best way to do that, granted I will get it wrong at times but I'm aware of that.

The only thing with Barnes is even if he loses his place he will still more than likely come on for a 1 pointer and will have a chance of attacking points so he isnt the worst bench fodder. You will probably only need him 2 or 3 times anyway.

The only thing with Barnes is even if he loses his place he will still more than likely come on for a 1 pointer and will have a chance of attacking points so he isnt the worst bench fodder. You will probably only need him 2 or 3 times anyway.

I'd rather some one a bit more likely to score though.
    Berahino,Perez even maybe. Perez gives real cash savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Opinions please. I have enough in the bank to change Austin -> Aguero too when he's fit.

Not too sure about Rose there.

333742.png

The Barnes move was really just suggested as a money saving move. He's 1.2m cheaper than Ings.
    Given dahats strong front 8, I was assuming Ings was going to be bench fodder in a 3-5-2 more often than not.

PARlance wrote: »
    The Barnes move was really just suggested as a money saving move. He's 1.2m cheaper than Ings.
    Given dahats strong front 8, I was assuming Ings was going to be bench fodder in a 3-5-2 more often than not.

Ye I think if he is never planning on starting ings and always going 3 5 2 I'd go as cheap as possible and get Barnes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

AdMMM wrote: »
    Opinions please. I have enough in the bank to change Austin -> Aguero too when he's fit.

Not too sure about Rose there.

Looks pretty standard really. Maybe use the Aguero money elsewhere for a few weeks until he is back no point it sitting in the bank doing nothing.

I would prefer to use the Costa money to get Fab and/or a defender especially when Aguero is back and you are rarely going to captain him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

When does the January Wildcard have to be used by?

Is it before GW23 starts or GW 24?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Chesty08 wrote: »

It's stated clearly on this page, under the section called 'wildcard'

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/rules/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

It's stated clearly on this page, under the section called 'wildcard'

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/rules/

"The January Wildcard can only be used after Gameweek 20 starts (1 Jan 11:30) until Gameweek 23 ends (7 Feb 11:30)."

So it's before GW 24 starts that I can play it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

"The January Wildcard can only be used after Gameweek 20 starts (1 Jan 11:30) until Gameweek 23 ends (7 Feb 11:30)."

So it's before GW 24 starts that I can play it?
    Yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

That's a paddlin:pac:
    333760.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

This is my latest draft:

jsLWeXo.jpg

3 transfers would then allow me to switch to 3-5-2 and get this team:

AGdEGOp.jpg

Walcott got into some great positions yesterday and I expect him to score well once his sharpness returns. Just not sure whether I should hold off on him for another couple of weeks or just get him in now while I have the wildcard in play. Generally play 3-4-3 but that 5 man midfield is so tempting. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

I would hold off on Theo until the end of the month. I don't think he's ready to start week in week out yet and could get a couple more cameos to build up match sharpness.

I would hold off on Theo until the end of the month. I don't think he's ready to start week in week out yet and could get a couple more cameos to build up match sharpness.

Ya I'm looking at the home game against Villa in GW23 as the one where he should start and be up to speed. May just go with a 3-4-3 with Boyd as cheapie in the meantime. What do you think of the rest of the team? Taking a chance on Ings over Austin due to his next 2 decent home fixtures.

Ya I'm looking at the home game against Villa in GW23 as the one where he should start and be up to speed. May just go with a 3-4-3 with Boyd as cheapie in the meantime. What do you think of the rest of the team? Taking a chance on Ings over Austin due to his next 2 decent home fixtures.

I think it looks good; similar front 7 (bar Silva) to what I'll be trying to roll out the next couple of weeks pre WC. You're going Pieters over Cameron for baps potential?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Which combo is better, Guzan + Van Aanholt or Panti + Hutton? Or double up Panti + Van Aanholt?

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Which combo is better, Guzan + Van Aanholt or Panti + Hutton? Or double up Panti + Van Aanholt?

If I had to pick one, it would be Panti and Hutton. I'm looking to get Panti, Hutton, and PVA all on mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

If I had to pick one, it would be Panti and Hutton. I'm looking to get Panti, Hutton, and PVA all on mine.

Thinking that too. I like having variety so that's why I currently have Cameron instead of PVA. That might change though. Panti and Heaton rotate very well. Burnley are leaking goals lately though and Krul at (potentially) 4.4m is very tempting. Too many decisions!!

I think it looks good; similar front 7 (bar Silva) to what I'll be trying to roll out the next couple of weeks pre WC. You're going Pieters over Cameron for baps potential?

Ya plus his attacking potential. Not sure if he's worth the extra .4 though.

Sam Vokes played and scored this evening for Burnley.

Comes on the radar right away for anyone looking for another cheap option. Only 5.3 million

I would not get any Stoke defender in. They got a good Christmas run but have been useless FPL-wise this year. Stoke ain't the home CS machine they used to be. They only got 2 CS at home and in the 2 away there's 1 in City where the majority would have benched their Stoke defender. The other one being to an "in-crisis" Everton. Their fixtures ain't exactly great CS-wise too.

For similar prices you can get Saints def who proved to be the most consistent defence in the league this year. For £0.5m to £1m cheaper there are a lot of better options including Swansea, Villa, West Brom, Sunderland, Newcastle and even Burnley defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Cant see there been many massive signings this window so holding off for a GW or 2

I would not get any Stoke defender in. They got a good Christmas run but have been useless FPL-wise this year. Stoke ain't the home CS machine they used to be. They only got 2 CS at home and in the 2 away there's 1 in City where the majority would have benched their Stoke defender. The other one being to an "in-crisis" Everton. Their fixtures ain't exactly great CS-wise too.

For similar prices you can get Saints def who proved to be the most consistent defence in the league this year. For £0.5m to £1m cheaper there are a lot of better options including Swansea, Villa, West Brom, Sunderland, Newcastle and even Burnley defenders.

Stoke haven't been great for clean sheets but for goals conceded apart from the current top 4 and villa no team have conceded less goals. Obviously it's not translating into ff points as they have the annoying habit of conceding a goal most games but potentially I still think they are one of the better defensive teams and ill look to include one of their defenders in my wildcard team.

• Advertisement

Stoke haven't been great for clean sheets but for goals conceded apart from the current top 4 and villa no team have conceded less goals. Obviously it's not translating into ff points as they have the annoying habit of conceding a goal most games but potentially I still think they are one of the better defensive teams and ill look to include one of their defenders in my wildcard team.
    Yeah I know. Tell me about it :p. Had Wilson from about the start until I upgraded to Terry. Just lost patience with them conceding a goal per game.
    I actually had second thoughts about my post to extra gravy when I wrote it for your very own words but had a look at their fixtures and it's not that great: we're looking at 3 to 4 home CS and ? away (will you ever play them away in the first place anyway?).
    The only thing is can their good Christmas run (2 CS plus a solid enough defensive game vs United) mark a change in their defensive record?
    I don't know (and haven't watched them enough anyway) but I still believe there are currently better options (e.g. to get the 3-4 home CS) for the same price tags and cheaper.

I haven't looked at it in any sort of detail re fixtures but isn't Cameron 4.2. I think i'll be moving away from Newcastle and maybe swansea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Opinions on this lads?

9e3c281412f3472876916561fc4515cc.png

I haven't looked at it in any sort of detail re fixtures but isn't Cameron 4.2. I think i'll be moving away from Newcastle and maybe swansea.
    You're correct about Cameron.

I agree about Newcastle but I think Swansea could well keep the same rhythm CS-wise. 8 CS (5 h, 3 a) in 20 games. They actually have a pretty consistent record. They got 6 of their 8 CS in "twos" (I mean 2 in a row) and never went more than 3 games without a CS (they actually only ever went once 3 games in a row without a CS, they mostly get them every third games).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Need to get rid of Bony, Yaya, and Spironi. There are others but want to save the WC till later in the month, to try and work back in Bony, Yaya, and Aguero, amongst others, and an 8 pt hit i think is enouth for 1 GW.

Its a puzzle alright.

• Advertisement
Advertisement