Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January Wildcard

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

opinions if ye dont mind ......
    option A
    alderweireld Keane sanchez falcao

B
    Phil Jones Trippier Walcott RVP

rest of team
    Pantillimon
    Terry PVA 3.9 leic defender
    ADM , Siggy , Haz, Fan
    Kane , Costa (Aguero next week)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Allowing 12.5 for Aguero so hopefully he won't rise too much.

Already had to abandon sterling so I have wiggle room for future injuries/transfers.

I get the feeling I have wasted this wildcard, played it far too early IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

km79 wrote: »
    opinions if ye dont mind ......
    option A
    alderweireld Keane sanchez falcao

B
    Phil Jones Trippier Walcott RVP

rest of team
    Pantillimon
    Terry PVA 3.9 leic defender
    ADM , Siggy , Haz, Fan
    Kane , Costa (Aguero next week)

A for me. That's mainly as I think Sanchez is much more important to have than Walcott. I don't see much of difference between the others.

A for me. That's mainly as I think Sanchez is much more important to have than Walcott. I don't see much of difference between the others.

thanks worry with option A is falcaos game time and starting Alder next 2 games as well as losing Trippier attacking potential
    worry with B is walcotts game time next few weeks and not having Sanchez!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

dahat wrote: »
    I get the feeling I have wasted this wildcard, played it far too early IMO.

Is that purely down to aguero? I haven't been tempted so far but heading out tomorrow so who knows what till happen! Might delete my password from the phone cache in case I decide tomorrow night after a few drinks is the ideal time to use the winter wildcard!!

thanks worry with option A is falcaos game time and starting Alder next 2 games as well as losing Trippier attacking potential
    worry with B is walcotts game time next few weeks and not having Sanchez!!!!

Rooney is guaranteed game time I feel - you could go with him over Falcao. I think's divided opinion on here, but it's only for a week or two until you get Aguero anyway. Alternatively Jovetic might be worth a punt for a week or two?

As for Jones vs Alder, I'm sure how many CSs united are likely to keep anyway. I also think Alder is the better long term choice, and I tend to lean towards long term choices. You also have PVA on the bench, who could maybe sub in (depending on fixtures obviously).

As for Walcott, I definitely wouldn't be getting him (yet!). If you go down the route of Option B, I'd go with Silva over Walcott. You may have missed Silva's purple patch, but at least he's guaranteed game time.

Rooney is guaranteed game time I feel - you could go with him over Falcao. I think's divided opinion on here, but it's only for a week or two until you get Aguero anyway. Alternatively Jovetic might be worth a punt for a week or two?

As for Jones vs Alder, I'm sure how many CSs united are likely to keep anyway. I also think Alder is the better long term choice, and I tend to lean towards long term choices. You also have PVA on the bench, who could maybe sub in (depending on fixtures obviously).

As for Walcott, I definitely wouldn't be getting him (yet!). If you go down the route of Option B, I'd go with Silva over Walcott. You may have missed Silva's purple patch, but at least he's guaranteed game time.
    I'll be keeping the united striker for their upcoming fixtures and will be switchong costa for aguero.had Rooney and sold him before Newcastle :D
    think I will go with A more due to not being sure about Walcott more than anything else
    thanks

I'll be keeping the united striker for their upcoming fixtures and will be switchong costa for aguero.had Rooney and sold him before Newcastle :D
    think I will go with A more due to not being sure about Walcott more than anything else
    thanks

What's your thinking behind keeping a united striker over Costa out of interest?

I'm asking as I have Rooney and Costa at the min, but I think I'll be upgrading rooney to Aguero, and keeping Costa.

What's your thinking behind keeping a united striker over Costa out of interest?

I'm asking as I have Rooney and Costa at the min, but I think I'll be upgrading rooney to Aguero, and keeping Costa.

have terry and hazard.sold Costa weeks back and have not regretted it. he will be in solely for Newcastle game and then makes way for aguero
    united have better fixtures and Chelsea will have a busier schedule.
    costa "may " explode one week (hopefully this one ( but generally speaking its been a goal no bonus and a yellow!
    chelsea seem to ease off at 2 up as wel whereas LVG said he wants united to punish teams!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Think I'm going to go with Foster as my only gk and keep Wisdom too. At 4.2, I feel he's too good value to sell, especially with Pulis now on board. Even he does lose his place, it will in all likelihood be to Gamboa who is 4.2 anyway so it would be an easy switch. I don't know if I'm brave enough to double up on them this weekend though, Pulis may not work his magic straight away.

Up front, I've convinced myself to ditch Austin in favour of Ings for a 2 week punt before he makes way for Aguero. Though with Austin's high owneship, this could bite me in the ass if it goes wrong.

Final team (I think :pac:)

Foster Myhill
    Terry Alderweireld Wisdom Hutton PVA
    Silva Hazard Di Maria Sanchez Boyd
    Costa Kane Ings

4M in the bank to downgrade Silva and upgrade Ings to Aguero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Think I'm going to go with Foster as my only gk and keep Wisdom too. At 4.2, I feel he's too good value to sell, especially with Pulis now on board. Even he does lose his place, it will in all likelihood be to Gamboa who is 4.2 anyway so it would be an easy switch. I don't know if I'm brave enough to double up on them this weekend though, Pulis may not work his magic straight away.

Up front, I've convinced myself to ditch Austin in favour of Ings for a 2 week punt before he makes way for Aguero. Though with Austin's high owneship, this could bite me in the ass if it goes wrong.

Final team (I think :pac:)

Foster Myhill
    Terry Alderweireld Wisdom Hutton PVA
    Silva Hazard Di Maria Sanchez Boyd
    Costa Kane Ings

4M in the bank to downgrade Silva and upgrade Ings to Aguero.

As strong a team as I've seen given that you have money set aside for Kun.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

I'm going to replace Cissokho now that Villa have some tough fixtures coming up and Vlaar is injured.

Danny Rose will hold that left-back spot from Davies yeah? I must be mad getting a Spurs defender. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Posada wrote: »
    I'm going to replace Cissokho now that Villa have some tough fixtures coming up and Vlaar is injured.

Danny Rose will hold that left-back spot from Davies yeah? I must be mad getting a Spurs defender. :pac:

Wasn't Vlaar supposed to go to United anyway?

I know it was just rumours, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

I dunno. BBC say 4-6 weeks injury, if United want him they might wait until the Summer when he's out of contract.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30731933

I dunno. BBC say 4-6 weeks injury, if United want him they might wait until the Summer when he's out of contract.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30731933

I know, United was after him before these news came in.

He could be out of the team anyway was my point.

Vlaar himself denied any contract offers from United anyway, but you never know with these guys. It is off the table now anyway.

I am now regretting playing my wildcard, so many options appear out of nowhere and I don't even have a time to look at it properly.

Aguero's recovery - only need 2 transfers to get him in anyway. Not a worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Rose or Davies is up in the air I'd say, either one could stake a short term claim but it's a risk over the long run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

This is my first look at a WC team...New players in bold.

Pantilimon, Hamer
    Wisdom, Bertrand, Terry, Hutton, PVA
    Sanchez, ADM, Silva, Hazard, Boyd
    Kane, Austin, Costa

Problems are as follows:

Getting in Aguero will involve selling Silva and Austin. Selling those two and buying Aguero leaves me with just 6.4m for my Silva replacement.

I could downgrade Bertrand to Fonte (0.1) saved or Alderweireld (0.7) saved.
    That's all well and good but it would still leave me with Kane and if his form dips and he needs to be sold options are limited (if any at all).

G1032 wrote: »
    This is my first look at a WC team...New players in bold.

Pantilimon, Hamer
    Wisdom, Bertrand, Terry, Hutton, PVA
    Sanchez, ADM, Silva, Hazard, Boyd
    Kane, Austin, Costa

Problems are as follows:

Getting in Aguero will involve selling Silva and Austin. Selling those two and buying Aguero leaves me with just 6.4m for my Silva replacement.

I could downgrade Bertrand to Fonte (0.1) saved or Alderweireld (0.7) saved.
    That's all well and good but it would still leave me with Kane and if his form dips and he needs to be sold options are limited (if any at all).

Is PVA guaranteed to play is another question.

For me it is either Bertrand or none of Southampton defenders.
    Chadli is your only option @6.4. Downgrading to Fonte would give you no advantage at all - there are no 6.5 players available there who would match Chadli's points.

wonski wrote: »
    Is PVA guaranteed to play is another question.

For me it is either Bertrand or none of Southampton defenders.
    Chadli is your only option @6.4. Downgrading to Fonte would give you no advantage at all - there are no 6.5 players available there who would match Chadli's points.

I had Downing in mind if need be? I have him at the moment but I do think I've gotten what I'm going to get out of him and will have no particular desire to get him back in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Not sure why people are going for ADM. Hasn't scored anything meaningful on the left wing. All his hauls came from CM. If he's not on the left wing, he's a waste of time.

EDIT. Meant if he's not in CM.

• Advertisement

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Not sure why people are going for ADM. Hasn't scored anything meaningful on the left wing. All his hauls came from CM. If he's not on the left wing, he's a waste of time.

He is a top player, though.

We don't even know what position is he going to be played next game.

I rate him as much as I rate Sanchez and Hazard.
    A great player. Be it a CM or LM. Your post is broken btw;)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

Aside from his own very considerable qualities, you also have to factor in that he is the only current premium midfield option at United.
    Considering their forward options - 10.7 for an out of position forward in Rooney, or overpay for RVP at 12.5 currently, or gamble on Falcao playing enough minutes and scoring enough goals, then you can see Di Maria is a very viable option at 9.4 as way into an attacking team currently on target to finish third in the league.

Top player but we're talking FPL. Van Gaal is going for a crossing tactic, seen it lots with Valencia, Young and Di Maria when he's on the wing. Di Maria didn't even try and beat his man, just tries to get a cross in. Against Chelsea he was trying inswinging crosses from 60 yards out.

Top player but we're talking FPL. Van Gaal is going for a crossing tactic, seen it lots with Valencia, Young and Di Maria when he's on the wing. Di Maria didn't even try and beat his man, just tries to get a cross in. Against Chelsea he was trying inswinging crosses from 60 yards out.

and now he will have a fit falcao to head them in :D

Aside from his own very considerable qualities, you also have to factor in that he is the only current premium midfield option at United.
    Considering their forward options - 10.7 for an out of position forward in Rooney, or overpay for RVP at 12.5 currently, or gamble on Falcao playing enough minutes and scoring enough goals, then you can see Di Maria is a very viable option at 9.4 as way into an attacking team currently on target to finish third in the league.

I wouldn't say on track for 3rd. Performances have not been good and attack wise they have been poor. Big goal hauls (QPR - Set up for a loss from the start. Newcastle - Set up for a loss and have a league 1 level keeper in goal, Liverpool - making mistakes and had brad jones in goal.)

All talk of utd being an attacking team:

Yeovil (not in the league but 60 places below) - 2 goals and didn't look like scoring before that.
    Stoke - 1 goal, Begovic 1 save.
    Spurs - 0 goals - Lloris 5 saves. Nothing in second half at all.
    Newcastle - 3 goals. Alnwick 1 save.
    Liverpool - 3 goals. Jones in goal and defensive errors leading to goals.
    Southampton - 2 goals. 2 defensive errors lead to goals.
    Stoke - 2 goals. Could have had a couple more.

If you're going for a Utd player right now it has to be Rooney, will finish their top scorer and is on free kicks and corners.

The only reason people think they're attacking is because they put have all their attacking players on. Not effective though.

I wouldn't say on track for 3rd. Performances have not been good and attack wise they have been poor. Big goal hauls (QPR - Set up for a loss from the start. Newcastle - Set up for a loss and have a league 1 level keeper in goal, Liverpool - making mistakes and had brad jones in goal.)

All talk of utd being an attacking team:

Yeovil (not in the league but 60 places below) - 2 goals and didn't look like scoring before that.
    Stoke - 1 goal, Begovic 1 save.
    Spurs - 0 goals - Lloris 5 saves. Nothing in second half at all.
    Newcastle - 3 goals. Alnwick 1 save.
    Liverpool - 3 goals. Jones in goal and defensive errors leading to goals.
    Southampton - 2 goals. 2 defensive errors lead to goals.
    Stoke - 2 goals. Could have had a couple more.

If you're going for a Utd player right now it has to be Rooney, will finish their top scorer and is on free kicks and corners.

The only reason people think they're attacking is because they put have all their attacking players on. Not effective though.
    Rooney doesn't get a look in at set pieces when Di Maria is on. Di Maria is a midfielder who is classified as such and as such I'd favour him

Rooney doesn't get a look in at set pieces when Di Maria is on. Di Maria is a midfielder who is classified as such and as such I'd favour him

Rooney will not play in midfield when Di Maria is back.

Mata will be dropped.

Rooney will not play in midfield when Di Maria is back.

Mata will be dropped.

Will he be playing as a centre forward?? Because that's what you're paying for

Will he be playing as a centre forward?? Because that's what you're paying for

Will he be scoring goals? Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Adm doesn't have a track record of scoring goals like hazard and sanchez which is why in ff terms I wouldn't put him in their bracket. At his price now though I'll still get him in in the wildcard as he is the best way into the utd attack and I can see him play upfront the odd time also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Adm doesn't have a track record of scoring goals like hazard and sanchez which is why in ff terms I wouldn't put him in their bracket. At his price now though I'll still get him in in the wildcard as he is the best way into the utd attack and I can see him play upfront the odd time also.

Your second sentence if proven correct could well adress your first sentence. :)

I also think he's the best United attacking option atm, and he will most likely be in my wildcard team, especially if I end up going next week.

ADM in CM is a must have.
    ADM on LW is not worth it.

IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

It will be easy switch ADM to Walcott if he's not performing and Walcott starts to find his old form again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Would love Burnley cover for the next 4 games. I know Duff mightn't get straight back into the team but, which combo is better overall? Other keeper is Panti.

Krul + Duff, or Heaton + Wasilewski?

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Would love Burnley cover for the next 4 games. I know Duff mightn't get straight back into the team but, which combo is better overall? Other keeper is Panti.

How can anyone go for a Leicester defender. Will end up onne of the worst defences in the league and no sign of improving defensively.

How can anyone go for a Leicester defender. Will end up onne of the worst defences in the league and no sign of improving defensively.

He has the most minutes played for a 3.9m defender and granted it is Leicester, they have at least a few good home fixtures coming up. Just handy at 3.9m.

He has the most minutes played for a 3.9m defender and granted it is Leicester, they have at least a few good home fixtures coming up. Just handy at 3.9m.

That is true, but you'd never play him surely?

Again, its all about the rotation. You buy a 3.9m defender from a poor team with a view to playing him maybe 2 or 3 times over a dozen or more games. If picked right he plugs the couple of gaps where your main two rotating defenders both have tough fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

Presumably just as a squad player... Third sub that seems to be guaranteed game time and maybe play at home v lower table opposition.

• Advertisement

IF I stick with him, he's set to make an appearance in GW24 against Palace at home, where he'll pick up 6pts. Then he'll remain as back-up for season :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

IF I stick with him, he's set to make an appearance in GW24 against Palace at home, where he'll pick up 6pts. Then he'll remain as back-up for season :P

The one time I played Hamer he got 8 points, my joint second highest scorer for the week. That was a good feeling :)

The one time I played Hamer he got 8 points, my joint second highest scorer for the week. That was a good feeling :)

Ha, it's a brilliant feeling! I'll also never forget, during my injury crisis, Albrighton getting me 3 points...only time he did something all season :P

I am going to play Wasilewski this week.

Bench for the rest of the season.

Might stick with option 2 and if I get the chance, bring Krul in for Heaton anytime after GW24 or so.

I think I need to go ahead and play this baby next week, so I can get a couple,of nights without sitting up late playing around with options.

Here's what it will probably look like.

The only thing which may look odd is Trippier, but as I've just picked up from the FFS defenders article Southamptons fixtures are not that clean sheet friendly just yet. If I want a Soton player I want it to be Bertrand who I can't afford with my current midfield (could afford Alderwiereld), so I'm looking at Trippier as a three week punt on great fixtures after which I'll see if I have the cash (from changes elsewhere) to get him upgraded to Bertie, or failing that Alderwiereld.

If and when I want rid of Kane I can downgrade a mid to Chadli, Downing, Siggy territory.

Btw, Wasi actually complements the Villa/Sunderland rotation quite well. He'd play GWs 22 (STK), 24 (CPL), 29 (HUL) and 34 (bur) if I stuck with it till the end of the he season, in a rotation fixture list of the following from GW22...
    STK, BUR, CPL, QPR, WBA, new, WBA, HUL, SWA, WHU, CPL, QPR, bur, SOT, WHU

334172.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

My team is finally finished:
    Foster Krul
    Terry Jones Trippier PVA Hutton
    Sanchez Fabregas ADM Hazard Boyd
    Giroud Kane Ings(soon to be Aguero)

I'll have 0.5 after the Aguero transfer so can upgrade Tripper to Alderweireld/Debuchy in a few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

FHFC wrote: »
    I think I need to go ahead and play this baby next week, so I can get a couple,of nights without sitting up late playing around with options.

The only thing which may look odd is Trippier, but as I've just picked up from the FFS defenders article Southamptons fixtures are not that clean sheet friendly just yet. If I want a Soton player I want it to be Bertrand who I can't afford with my current midfield (could afford Alderwiereld), so I'm looking at Trippier as a three week punt on great fixtures after which I'll see if I have the cash (from changes elsewhere) to get him upgraded to Bertie, or failing that Alderwiereld.

If and when I want rid of Kane I can downgrade a mid to Chadli, Downing, Siggy territory.

Btw, Wasi actually complements the Villa/Sunderland rotation quite well. He'd play GWs 22 (STK), 24 (CPL), 29 (HUL) and 34 (bur) if I stuck with it till the end of the he season, in a rotation fixture list of the following from GW22...

334172.jpg

Strong team for me. It's exactly what I expect to wildcard to, bar Trippier. I just don't believe a Burnley defender is worth 4.8 mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Hackers

Serious team, I am short 2.4m to replicate it even though current team value is 105.8!!

334172.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Again, its all about the rotation. You buy a 3.9m defender from a poor team with a view to playing him maybe 2 or 3 times over a dozen or more games. If picked right he plugs the couple of gaps where your main two rotating defenders both have tough fixtures.
    I would never play a LEicester defender. Can't think I'd even play them home to QPR or Burnely at this rate!

On the plus side though, if you ever have an injury crisis, he's guaranteed mintues so will at least get you 1/2 points. My 5th defender never starts anyway

Has anyone any ideas on what I can do to improve here??

Terry is one obvious omission but which combo is better...?

Terry/Alderweireld or Cahill/Bertrand

Still no real cash left to get rid of Kane without selling ADM.

Would I be better off with Fabregas as my 3rd Chelsea instead of Costa? (but I kind of need Costa as a PL blocker)

wildcard.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement