Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January Wildcard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

G1032 wrote: »
    Has anyone any ideas on what I can do to improve here??

Terry is one obvious omission but which combo is better...?

Terry/Alderweireld or Cahill/Bertrand

Still no real cash left to get rid of Kane without selling ADM.

Would I be better off with Fabregas as my 3rd Chelsea instead of Costa? (but I kind of need Costa as a PL blocker)

wildcard.jpg
    Courtois and PVA would save you close to a million and you could use that money to improve wasilieski to give you a better player to use in rotating defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

G1032 wrote: »
    Has anyone any ideas on what I can do to improve here??

Terry is one obvious omission but which combo is better...?

Terry/Alderweireld or Cahill/Bertrand

Still no real cash left to get rid of Kane without selling ADM.

Would I be better off with Fabregas as my 3rd Chelsea instead of Costa? (but I kind of need Costa as a PL blocker)

wildcard.jpg
    Strong team.

You're currently £0.1m short for Cahill -> Terry.

Do you absolutely need Boyd? I know he's maybe the best value in the entire game but you will only play him in case of injury/suspension/rotation. So for £0.1m less you could get Jones from Burnley who provides 2 pointer each week (unfortunately nothing more) and for £0.2m less Marney from Burnley, Sanchez from Villa or Henry from QPR. Ditto Jones in terms of returns. Cattermole from Sunderland and Ameobi from Newcastle are also priced £4.4m but are currently doubtful with minor injuries.

Don't get me wrong though. Boyd is Cristiano Messi compared to these guys but considering you should very rarely need him, the question you need to ask yourself is: is he worth Cahill over Terry?

Alternatively going Boyd -> Fabregas & Costa -> any sub £6m striker would allow Terry and Mannone (*) and maybe someone better than Wasilewski. But as you said Costa could be a blocker. But Fab has more points than him and a very slightly better pts per game ratio (5.8 vs 5.7 for Costa). Considering it's worth £1.5m for you it may "need" second thoughts?... I don't buy the Fab is overperforming point. He's a great player in a strong team. 2 months already he's supposed to fade away. He didn't. These talks remind me of Yaya last year ;). Also if you look at his last season at Arsenal, he had 3 goals & 13 assists in 200 min more than his currently 2 goals & 14 assists. So he's actually performing roughly similar (better but simialr enough).

Finally I'm coming back to my (*) about Mannone. Are you not afraid of having a non playing second keeper from a different team than your first one? I mean if your starting GK has a pb you're down to 10 men. I'd agree with you that it's worth the risk for the moment if you don't go the Fabregas route. But I think for £0.1m more you could get PvA for Wisdom and double on WB GK. And you could still get Terry in for Cahill if you chose a £4.4m 5th mid instead of Boyd ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Fab & Giroud

or

Siggy & Costa

I'm leaning towards the first because of wanting te 2 * Chelsea mids - which I feel is a better cover than Haz & Costa (no worrying about Costa gettting sent off/injured etc).

Giroud v Siggy is tough thou - have Sanchez. Arsenal's home fixtures are tasty. Not sure if siggy will be better or worse without Bony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

Is anyone giving any thought to keeping money leftover for Yaya when he comes back? Or is it a case of worry about that when the time comes?

Ideally id like to have enough to do it in one transfer while keeping Aguero,Costa, Hazard and Sanchez. That leaves it very tough unless he drops a good bit which looks unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I think if you have Sergio, you dont need Yaya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

Seriously considering selling Costa and going with Cesc and Hazard, madness?

Rikand wrote: »
    I think if you have Sergio, you dont need Yaya

He had a really slow start to the year but I thought he done quite well over Christmas. Not on penos again lessens his appeal, but the other options for that place are Silva, Sterling, Di Maria, Walcott. Good options to have when all fit and in form but at the minute I would be happier with Yaya.

Not playing my wildcard for a few weeks so things will probably change but its something I'm giving a bit of thought to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Fab & Giroud

I'd go with this option

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Not sure if siggy will be better or worse without Bony.
    Won't be much differernce with Siggy there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

LostArt wrote: »

Far from it I'm almost certain that's what I'll be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

I only have Hazard and Terry at the moment and leaning towards going for Fab over Costa in the wildcard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭G1032

Courtois and PVA would save you close to a million and you could use that money to improve wasilieski to give you a better player to use in rotating defence.

Something I never even considered and definitely food for thought
    iroced wrote: »
    Strong team.

You're currently £0.1m short for Cahill -> Terry.

Do you absolutely need Boyd? I know he's maybe the best value in the entire game but you will only play him in case of injury/suspension/rotation. So for £0.1m less you could get Jones from Burnley who provides 2 pointer each week (unfortunately nothing more) and for £0.2m less Marney from Burnley, Sanchez from Villa or Henry from QPR. Ditto Jones in terms of returns. Cattermole from Sunderland and Ameobi from Newcastle are also priced £4.4m but are currently doubtful with minor injuries.

Don't get me wrong though. Boyd is Cristiano Messi compared to these guys but considering you should very rarely need him, the question you need to ask yourself is: is he worth Cahill over Terry?

Alternatively going Boyd -> Fabregas & Costa -> any sub £6m striker would allow Terry and Mannone (*) and maybe someone better than Wasilewski. But as you said Costa could be a blocker. But Fab has more points than him and a very slightly better pts per game ratio (5.8 vs 5.7 for Costa). Considering it's worth £1.5m for you it may "need" second thoughts?... I don't buy the Fab is overperforming point. He's a great player in a strong team. 2 months already he's supposed to fade away. He didn't. These talks remind me of Yaya last year ;). Also if you look at his last season at Arsenal, he had 3 goals & 13 assists in 200 min more than his currently 2 goals & 14 assists. So he's actually performing roughly similar (better but simialr enough).

Finally I'm coming back to my (*) about Mannone. Are you not afraid of having a non playing second keeper from a different team than your first one? I mean if your starting GK has a pb you're down to 10 men. I'd agree with you that it's worth the risk for the moment if you don't go the Fabregas route. But I think for £0.1m more you could get PvA for Wisdom and double on WB GK. And you could still get Terry in for Cahill if you chose a £4.4m 5th mid instead of Boyd ;).

I guess I don’t really need Boyd. I had Wanyama in there for a long long time and he did bet me 7 from the bench one week!! He’s dropping in value soon but that drop won’t affect me so I guess I can sell him in WC and get in one of your suggestions like Jones or Marney. No Boyd really isn’t worth Cahill over Terry!!

Costa really is needed as a blocker for my PL’s. Too many of my rivals have him and I just can’t afford to be without him if he gets a big haul. For the moment he’s a must unless rivals transfer him out in their own WC’s. A good portion of them may have to though to accommodate Aguero. It’s a case of have and hold for Costa for the time being.

I do agree with you re Fabregas but I don’t usually play a 3-5-2 and would like to stay 4-3-3. I wouldn’t rule it out either though.

As for the Keepers – No I’m not afraid really. If my keeper gets injured I’ll just replace him. If it’s a -4 then so be it but it’s a risk I’m willing to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Is anyone giving any thought to keeping money leftover for Yaya when he comes back? Or is it a case of worry about that when the time comes?

Ideally id like to have enough to do it in one transfer while keeping Aguero,Costa, Hazard and Sanchez. That leaves it very tough unless he drops a good bit which looks unlikely.

I enjoyed owning him these last four GWs and have thought about getting him back. For me, he's still too expensive in an Agüero world but if I had the cash I would prefer him to ADM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I am thinking about it but struggling to see where I'll fit him in really. All going well, Hazard, Aguero and Sanchez are there to stay, and couldn't afford to upgrade Siggy to Yaya. The alternative at the moment is to have someone like ADM for 1.5m cheaper.

Is AMD +1.5 < Yaya? Especially when I already have Aguero?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

Thoughts on this squad? 1.3m in the bank

Guzan, Pantilimon
    Terry, Bertrand, Wilson, Lescott, 4.0m
    Cesc, Hazard, Sanchez, Siggy, Boyd
    Kane, Rvp (Aguero once he's fit), Austin

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Lloris - De Gea
    Terry / Shawcross / Chester / Van Aanholt / Bertrand
    Siggy / Hazard / Johnson / Boyd / Chadli
    Kane / Costa / Ings

Using the wildcard option, changed team about 20 million times :)

Any suggestions, still have 8.2 million to play with but dont want to bring Sanchez just yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Thoughts on this squad? 1.3m in the bank

Guzan, Pantilimon
    Terry, Bertrand, Wilson, Lescott, 4.0m
    Cesc, Hazard, Sanchez, Siggy, Boyd
    Kane, Rvp (Aguero once he's fit), Austin

Looks fine very template the Lescott and Siggy position seems to be the only differences that are popping up. There's a few other options there like Debuchy or even Jones if you think United will shore things up in the second half and in midfield Chadli looks like he has put his goalscoring boots back on depends on how you see the Bony issue effecting Siggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

In my opinion this is definetly the way to go. The way I see it is Cesc will comfortably outscore the yellow card, injury prone, non bonus collecting Costa by a nice bit this year. I shall be getting rid of Costa with my wildcard later in the month.

Lloris - De Gea
    Terry / Shawcross / Chester / Van Aanholt / Bertrand
    Kane / Costa / Ings

Using the wildcard option, changed team about 20 million times :)

Any suggestions, still have 8.2 million to play with but dont want to bring Sanchez just yet

Certainly a little different which is nice to see! Not often you see an 11m+ GK combo!! Do they rotate really well or something? If you fancy those two defences I think you would be a lot better off with Davies & Jones in place of Shawcross and Chester and then Foster & someone in goal West Broms fixtures are superb a lot going with Panti but I think PVA is a lot better option and I don't see Sunderland being a good double up side. Would probably use the extra funds to upgrade AJ (assuming Johnson is AJ!) may as well be Sanchez! Silva would be another decent shout or ADM if you think he is going to pick up points not convinced he'll justify the price tag myself. Would plan on switching Ings to Austin in GW25 once his good fixtures are done with.

JR6 wrote: »
    In my opinion this is definetly the way to go. The way I see it is Cesc will comfortably outscore the yellow card, injury prone, non bonus collecting Costa by a nice bit this year. I shall be getting rid of Costa with my wildcard later in the month.

I agree Terry, Fab, Hazard is the route I am going then adding Cahill to that in UFPL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

It's a bit of a myth that Costa doesn't and won't pick up bonus, when he scores he puts himself in the frame, he does have 11 bonus points so far this year and about three less games played than Cesc. I personally wouldn't use it as a deciding factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It's a bit of a myth that Costa doesn't and won't pick up bonus, when he scores he puts himself in the frame, he does have 11 bonus points so far this year and about three less games played than Cesc. I personally wouldn't use it as a deciding factor.
    That is still less than a bonus point per goal. Not so good.

Thanks Jimmi, I think Spurs are going to have a very good run ahead of them but i have changed Lloris to Forsters now

I think AJ (Adam Johnson) is getting back his confidence and banging 1 goal here and there and Chadli is now back playing his 90 minute games

Sanchez is good but i have a sneaky feeling about Walcott being back but wont get him until Villa at home in GW23

Ings / Austin will be buddies for the next few weeks and will be swapping

Stoke are stubborn at the back

Thanks for West Brom tip, Pullis will have them on their toes which i am keeping an eye on - not a bad shout though

I'd agree with this to a point... however he picked up 7 of his 11 bps so far in his first 4 games when he scored 6 goals (a hatrick and a brace). 4 bonus points since gameweek 5 is not enough for an 11m+ striker imo. If and when he scores two in a game or goal and assist then I would imagine that he will grab some bonus. Its just with Cesc, Hazard and co they seem to hoover up the bps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

They both have 7 bookings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Would anyone think Lampard is worth the transfer?

• Advertisement

Thanks Jimmi, I think Spurs are going to have a very good run ahead of them but i have changed Lloris to Forsters now

I think AJ (Adam Johnson) is getting back his confidence and banging 1 goal here and there and Chadli is now back playing his 90 minute games

Sanchez is good but i have a sneaky feeling about Walcott being back but wont get him until Villa at home in GW23

Ings / Austin will be buddies for the next few weeks and will be swapping

Stoke are stubborn at the back

Thanks for West Brom tip, Pullis will have them on their toes which i am keeping an eye on - not a bad shout though

Some people are already convinced that Pullis is going to pull out another 10 cleansheets or something from them the way they are going on! I doubt we will see such a miraculous performance as we did last season but their defence should definitely prove good value for the next 10 GWs or so. Agree on Walcott too he could easily steal some of the Sanchez thunder but we do have transfers to adjust for that in the future for now Sanchez is looking like a points machine especially at home and can obviously be easily switched to Theo if that emerges the best route to go.

Flecktarn wrote: »
    Would anyone think Lampard is worth the transfer?

He's the sort you could definitely bring in on WC especially while Yaya is away but I would always have a plan on to quickly take him out if need be. The only bad thing with it is you are taking up a midfield slot with a player that, although has a big upside, you cannot be sure on game time give his age and their options and there are lots of good options for not much more who are almost certain to get a lot more minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I'd agree with this to a point... however he picked up 7 of his 11 bps so far in his first 4 games when he scored 6 goals (a hatrick and a brace). 4 bonus points since gameweek 5 is not enough for an 11m+ striker imo. If and when he scores two in a game or goal and assist then I would imagine that he will grab some bonus. Its just with Cesc, Hazard and co they seem to hoover up the bps.

As I said I wouldn't use it myself as a deciding factor regarding Costa, when he scores and doesn't get booked he's putting himself in the running for bonus, a goal and assist will guarantee him some, the question is will he keep/ start scoring or even go on a little spree like earlier in the year. I'm not fully convinced but the bonus will follow the form IMO.

Foster - De Gea
    Terry / Shawcross / Hutton / Van Aanholt / Bertrand
    Kane / Costa / Ings

Changed 2 players , now have 9.2 million to play with for possible Walcott transfer in GW 23 and Aguero in GW24

what do one think about the above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

https://twitter.com/MCFC/status/553539574618935298

@MCFC

PELLEGRINI: Aguero, Dzeko and Kompany are all in the squad list for tomorrow. #mcfc

• Advertisement

Foster - De Gea
    Terry / Shawcross / Hutton / Van Aanholt / Bertrand
    Kane / Costa / Ings

Changed 2 players , now have 9.2 million to play with for possible Walcott transfer in GW 23 and Aguero in GW24

what do one think about the above

I think you have too much spent in defence. No need for Shawcross, they are not keeping many clean sheets this year thus making him too expensive. Berty and Terry enough with three cheapies. Midfield looks a bit lightweight.. I know you have a plan for walcott and aguero but will Johnson keep scoring? I doubt it.

any alternatives for a cheap defender and Johnson out ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭dahat

For this week alone should I go

Di Maria + RVP
    or
    Di Maria + Giroud

Whatever combo the CF is being moved for Aguero as soon as he gets near 12.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

That City announcement makes things very interesting indeed.

any alternatives for a cheap defender and Johnson out ?

I'd be thinking along the lines of wisdom and silva/sterling. Can you do that and still afford to upgrade to aguero and Walcott?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

FHFC wrote: »
    I think I need to go ahead and play this baby next week, so I can get a couple,of nights without sitting up late playing around with options.

Here's what it will probably look like.

The only thing which may look odd is Trippier, but as I've just picked up from the FFS defenders article Southamptons fixtures are not that clean sheet friendly just yet. If I want a Soton player I want it to be Bertrand who I can't afford with my current midfield (could afford Alderwiereld), so I'm looking at Trippier as a three week punt on great fixtures after which I'll see if I have the cash (from changes elsewhere) to get him upgraded to Bertie, or failing that Alderwiereld.

If and when I want rid of Kane I can downgrade a mid to Chadli, Downing, Siggy territory.

Btw, Wasi actually complements the Villa/Sunderland rotation quite well. He'd play GWs 22 (STK), 24 (CPL), 29 (HUL) and 34 (bur) if I stuck with it till the end of the he season, in a rotation fixture list of the following from GW22...
    STK, BUR, CPL, QPR, WBA, new, WBA, HUL, SWA, WHU, CPL, QPR, bur, SOT, WHU

334172.jpg

With the Aguero news confirmed I'm a bit fearful of what he could do in 20 mins against a shambolic understrength Everton!

Would it be very kneejerk of me to wildcard to the above team now!

Current team is:
    Green (Hamer)
    Terry, Zab, Hutton (Dummet, Duff)
    Sanchez, Haz, Sterling, Silva (Downing)
    Austin, Kane, Costa

SlickRic wrote: »
    That City announcement makes things very interesting indeed.

If Aguero starts he could do some serious damage against Everton. More likely he'll get 30 mins but even then he could get 10 points. Everton have the worst form in the league and leaking goals, a lot of the team played on Tuesday night, while city at the weekend, resting/rotating most of their team.

I have played it safe all season with regards to transfers, but this is a gamble I'm considering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Aguero has a habit of scoring immediately upon his return, even in cameos. I'll have him in for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Aguero has a habit of scoring immediately upon his return, even in cameos. I'll have him in for the weekend.

I think i'll join you on that one

I think i'll join you on that one

Well if you are doing it so am I :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

he also has a habit of breaking down
    I'm going with Costa tomorrow then switching for next week

km79 wrote: »
    he also has a habit of breaking down
    I'm going with Costa tomorrow then switching for next week

My plan too if Costa had a tricky fixture then it might have been worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I've only really started looking at things today and I'm now fighting the urge not to wildcard. Might be tempted next week. I've realised now that my low team value will become a problem as I think I want to keep RVP for another while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Jojo should still start tomorrow for City right? Him and Silva will link up well hopefully, Jojo has 18 points from the previous match.

And what do people think of a Pantmillion/Foster combo?

I've only really started looking at things today and I'm now fighting the urge not to wildcard. Might be tempted next week. I've realised now that my low team value will become a problem as I think I want to keep RVP for another while.

This new 'casual' Mr P is a bit eerie I have to say. Did you get yourself a life or something!?!? :D

What would you think of my wildcard urges above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

jimmii wrote: »
    Some people are already convinced that Pullis is going to pull out another 10 cleansheets or something from them the way they are going on! I doubt we will see such a miraculous performance as we did last season but their defence should definitely prove good value for the next 10 GWs or so. Agree on Walcott too he could easily steal some of the Sanchez thunder but we do have transfers to adjust for that in the future for now Sanchez is looking like a points machine especially at home and can obviously be easily switched to Theo if that emerges the best route to go.

Pulis is taking over a better defence at WBA than he had at Palace last year and look at the results he brought in with Palace.

With a struggling team, the first thing a manager like Pulis will do is make them tough to beat which means making them tough to score against.

This new 'casual' Mr P is a bit eerie I have to say. Did you get yourself a life or something!?!? :D

What would you think of my wildcard urges above?

Of course not :pac: I'm just finding that the less I think the better I do :o

I'd hold off on doing it this week alright. What real problem can Aguero cause anyone if very few have him and the majority of those who do get him in take hits or use the WC then it's neutralised by you still holding the WC and being a GW wiser.

I think I'll fight off any urges I had to use mine early and just go with a few "left-field" options before settling back into the groove of safety. As in I'm looking at Walcott and considering ways of keeping RVP. Not quite Kevin Nolan levels. I love Aguero to bits but this is a week where he's not essential even if he does go and score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'd hold off on doing it this week alright. What real problem can Aguero cause anyone if very few have him and the majority of those who do get him in take hits or use the WC then it's neutralised by you still holding the WC and being a GW wiser.

I think I'll fight off any urges I had to use mine early and just go with a few "left-field" options before settling back into the groove of safety. As in I'm looking at Walcott and considering ways of keeping RVP. Not quite Kevin Nolan levels. I love Aguero to bits but this is a week where he's not essential even if he does go and score.
    I'm am still betwixt and between rvp an Walcott OR Sanchez and falcai myself
    my gut is saying the first one.......waiting for hints from lVg first

Yeah, calming down a bit now. Seeing it written down that Aguero is in the squad can do funny things to a man!

Ideally I've love to hold off next week too and get him in by wildcarding after the cup matches, but it'll most likely be next week now.

• Advertisement

Yeah, calming down a bit now. Seeing it written down that Aguero is in the squad can do funny things to a man!

Ideally I've love to hold off next week too and get him in by wildcarding after the cup matches, but it'll most likely be next week now.

How would you view Walcott in for Sterling as a transfer that I might make this week?

Advertisement