Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apollo on O'Connell street???

Options
  • 29-12-2014 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

I seen a picture of what looks to be an old nightclub on O'Connell street.
    The bar looks like it was in a basement, the name is the Apollo. Anyone know where this is? Any history behind it? Googled to no success. Just wondering where is it? When it closed? Was is popular. Anyone with fond memories of it on boards?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Apollo 1 bargain store? I think there was one on O'Connell St too.

https://twitter.com/olddublintown/status/412743284155371520

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

sabat wrote: »
    Apollo 1 bargain store? I think there was one on O'Connell St too.

https://twitter.com/olddublintown/status/412743284155371520

Great store I remember buying my Atari ST there in 1986.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The pic is of the one that was on Moore Street. Jaysus, some of the old places there. Dolphin Discs, Banana Republic(?), that mad kip of a pub down the Parnell Street end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

anncoates wrote: »
    The pic is of the one that was on Moore Street. Jaysus, some of the old places there. Dolphin Discs, Banana Republic(?), that mad kip of a pub down the Parnell Street end.

O'Neills?.. I used to drink there with my nanny (lord rest her) and a few of the other dealers from Moore St.. I was only about 16, and by Christ she'd get me locked lol

O'Neills?.. I used to drink there with my nanny (lord rest her) and a few of the other dealers from Moore St.. I was only about 16, and by Christ she'd get me locked lol

:)

Didn't even know it had a name. Near the lane that ran down to Conways from Moore street. Was the other pub Trader Johns up at the Henry street end,

Also Peggy's shoe stall at the back of the Ilac Centre facing Parnell Street where all the shops are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

The OP is talking about the Apollo club, which was beneath 42 O'Connell St (the last remaining original building on the street) - The old neon Apollo sign is still hanging on in there too. No idea what the place was though

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Joshua5

A Disgrace wrote: »
    The OP is talking about the Apollo club, which was beneath 42 O'Connell St (the last remaining original building on the street) - The old neon Apollo sign is still hanging on in there too. No idea what the place was though

That's right. I just seen a picture and it immediately intrigued me. It's a shame places like this fade away into the history books or not as the case may be. I'm sure many a good session, happy memory happened in this place and I'd love to know more about it but it seems nobody really knows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What sort of timeframe are you talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Didn't even know it had a name. Near the lane that ran down to Conways from Moore street. Was the other pub Trader Johns up at the Henry street end,

Also Peggy's shoe stall at the back of the Ilac Centre facing Parnell Street where all the shops are now.

Peggy must have been a millionaire when she passed (assuming she has). She sold doc martens to half the kids in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

wyndham wrote: »
    Peggy must have been a millionaire when she passed (assuming she has). She sold doc martens to half the kids in Dublin.

Sure wasn't there a heap of stall there at the back of ilac back then. Weren't the take away places in the ilac on the moore street end years ago, a place called "King Burger" an obvious rip on "Burger King" and another place too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Joshua5

spurious wrote: »
    What sort of timeframe are you talking?

I have no idea, judging by the sign maybe the 50's but that's just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is that the place that looked like it was made of plywood and had an offy counter on the way in? I was in there with me oul lad and a pal of his once or twice.

wyndham wrote: »

She passed away a few years ago. Not just docs, crepe soles, the lot!

Bambi wrote: »
    Is that the place that looked like it was made of plywood and had an offy counter on the way in? I was in there with me oul lad and a pal of his once or twice.

Yeah didn't the off licence counter face out on the street or am I remembering wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

The pub with no name, i used to buy flagons of cider in there as a child,not really a mad kip, most of the clientele were elderly women

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Here's how it looks today. apollo_dublinghostsigns-jpg.jpg

Advertisement