Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying in teaching

Options
  • 29-12-2014 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Do many teachers experience bullying? Some of what I have experienced is really inappropriate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Are you referring to bullying by fellow teachers, your seniors (principal etc) or by pupils? I would expect there to be Department of Education code of conduct and grievance guidelines (or else your local school may have specific guidelines) that address tolerance of bullying and how incidents of bullying should be handled or raised. Failing that, your teacher union should also have information on how to address such bullying.

I would start by documenting everything along with dates and times as often an incident in isolation may not be considered bullying but repetitive or systematic occurences will constitute bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bellissima

I have documented everything. The bullying is by the Principal but with the support of others. I have decided to go through procedures with the Union but I find the whole thing terrifying. I have had the usual counselling to which people are automatically referred in these situations but it does not help matters. Codes of Conduct are so idealistic, but I have found the reality to be very nasty. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this. It sometimes seems that the individual has no rights at all when faced with a powerful personality. Feeling very depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Bullying isn't restricted to any particular workplace.. I've seen elements of bullying in every workplace I've been in..

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bellissima

There are such carefully devised procedures to address the problem,but the reality seems different.Even in a situation where people are members of a powerful union, with everything that this implies, it is frightening to be treated in a hostile manner.

Advertisement