Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of Boards!

Options
  • 29-12-2014 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Just a thought that it might be nice to have a section summarising the development of boards. It may even exist already. Who were the people, what was the tech, how did it grow etc. For posterity.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hashtag Bring Back the Biki.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

The wiki is probably stuck on one of the old boxes. :) Hobbes, Nerin, myself and some others had access. Can we have it? Can we? Can we? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Boards was created in 7 days. On the first day both DeV and Cloud...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Here's where it all began. Take your shoes off before going in, & don't touch anything - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Myrddin wrote: »
    Here's where it all began. Take your shoes off before going in, & don't touch anything - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13

It's like....it's like seeing the Big Bang ....it's great that that is still there! I thought of this thread after seeing "the man on the bridge" on rte. There's a lot of social history in this place. Be nice to know a little more.
    Thanks for turning back time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

It's pretty out of date and not exactly a list but there's this visual of Boards development.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75162293&postcount=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

What's the history behind the forum classifications. Find it hard to make sense of some of them and haven't seen any change in this area in years. Eg

What is "Sys"? to me it's is systems and makes sense that forums such as feedback and help desk are there but then I see odd ones like "ask me anything" / "events" where I can't see any relation to systems

Same with "Rec", assume recreational but many recreational forums are in other places such as aircraft being in "Soc" which I assume is society

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Has anyone seen where the Gathering cards got to?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    What's the history behind the forum classifications. Find it hard to make sense of some of them and haven't seen any change in this area in years. Eg

What is "Sys"? to me it's is systems and makes sense that forums such as feedback and help desk are there but then I see odd ones like "ask me anything" / "events" where I can't see any relation to systems

Same with "Rec", assume recreational but many recreational forums are in other places such as aircraft being in "Soc" which I assume is society

I seem to remember someone once saying that they're derived from Usenet categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

RopeDrink wrote: »
    The Boards link goes to a gathering album on my profile. Maybe it's private or something.

Ok, it was Private. Made it public. They're most of the latest ones, so if you have 'fond memories' of specific card, it's likely not any of the ones in the album... Except maybe the Admin Bribes :D

No Tireless Rebutter? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Memories. ;_;

31433.jpg

31432.jpg

Advertisement