Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many rounds in a centre fire?

Options
  • 29-12-2014 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

I was in a RFD the other day looking at some guns. I had a marlin in my hand which was a top loader which took 3 rounds, i said id want something with a bit more mag capacity and he told me that legally we can only have 3 rounds in any centre fire rifle :confused: iv never heard this before and told him so bit he was adamant.....

Any truth in it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Talking through his arse. I dont know how there are so many dealers in business without knowing their arse from their elbow. There is noting to say you cant have ten or more if you wish in an unrestricted centerfire. He is obviously thinking of the law for shotguns etc.. even then it would still be wrong though as it is two in the mag and one in the chamber to make three. :confused::pac::D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Yeah i knew he was wrong when he said it, was there to look at .243s so was too occupied to get into it at the time and just remembered there a few minutes ago!

Your right tho, they amount of ****e iv heard out of some dealers thats just wrong info over the years is mad

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A few weeks ago i was going into dealers with a friend of mine. He was looking for a rimfire rifle. In one dealers in particular i heard some truly amazing "facts" which included:
    • A buckmark is unrestricted no matter how many rounds because it's rimfire
    • A centrefire semi auto is only restricted if it holds more than 5
    • A lever action is unrestricted because it's not a rifle caliber
    This coupled with the fact when i asked him about a gun he told me it was a CZ 455 to which i told him it wasn't, and showed him on Google that it wasn't. He did not even know what he was selling.

In another dealers he told me how he sold a 40cal pistol and the guy got the license for it. I told him that even if the Chief Super granted a license it stands moot as it's against the law to issue such a license. He scoffed at my remark so i let it be.

The point is, as juice said above, it amazes me how some of these are in business and what scared me was the first dealer handed out two guns when i was there, and without going into detail, he shouldn't have.

To answer your question;
    • Bolt action centrefire (3, 5, 7, 10 shots) - unrestricted
    • Any semi auto centrefire - restricted
    • Any semi auto/pump shotgun that holds more than 3 - restricted
    • Any semi auto/pump shotgun that holds 3 or fewer - unrestricted
    • Any semi auto rimfire that holds more than 10 - restricted
    • Any semi auto rimfire that holds 10 or fewer - unrestricted
    • Lever action in centrefire calibers (to save naming them all) - restricted
    • Shotguns with pistol grips - restricted
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Cass wrote: »
    A few weeks ago i was going into dealers with a friend of mine. He was looking for a rimfire rifle. In one dealers in particular i heard some truly amazing "facts" which included:
    • A buckmark is unrestricted no matter how many rounds because it's rimfire
    • A centrefire semi auto is only restricted if it holds more than 5
    • A lever action is unrestricted because it's not a rifle caliber
    This coupled with the fact when i asked him about a gun he told me it was a CZ 455 to which i told him it wasn't, and showed him on Google that it wasn't. He did not even know what he was selling.

In another dealers he told me how he sold a 40cal pistol and the guy got the license for it. I told him that even if the Chief Super granted a license it stands moot as it's against the law to issue such a license. He scoffed at my remark so i let it be.

The point is, as juice said above, it amazes me how some of these are in business and what scared me was the first dealer handed out two guns when i was there, and without going into detail, he shouldn't have.

To answer your question;
    • Bolt action centrefire (3, 5, 7, 10 shots) - unrestricted
    • Any semi auto centrefire - restricted
    • Any semi auto/pump shotgun that holds more than 3 - restricted
    • Any semi auto/pump shotgun that holds 3 or fewer - unrestricted
    • Any semi auto rimfire that holds more than 10 - restricted
    • Any semi auto rimfire that holds 10 or fewer - unrestricted
    • Shotguns with pistol grips - restricted

Only lever action over 30cal is restricted firearm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

clivej wrote: »
    Only lever action over 30cal is restricted firearm
    I know, hence the reason i wrote:
    Cass wrote: »
    Suppose i could have elaborated more, but if you want, as you'd know the majority of them better than i, go ahead an name the usual suspects such as .38, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

the only unrestricted one i can think of other than 22s is 3030 win

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

juice1304 wrote: »
    Talking through his arse. I dont know how there are so many dealers in business without knowing their arse from their elbow.

Ill never forget the time i got my first gun a .22 air rifle at 16

Dealer said i had to be 18 to apply for a air rifle/rifle licence :p

Then at 17 he sed i had to wait to be 18 to sub it in for my .22LR... i proved him wrong on that one aswell! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

1shot16 wrote: »
    Ill never forget the time i got my first gun a .22 air rifle at 16

Dealer said i had to be 18 to apply for a air rifle/rifle licence :p

Then at 17 he sed i had to wait to be 18 to sub it in for my .22LR... i proved him wrong on that one aswell! :cool:

Tell you a better one involving a RFD:D. I was in his shop browsing a good while back. (as sure as God this is the truth). This chap came in and said to him just having received his first gun licence,"Have you got any .223 ammo" the RFD said "yes" and proceeded into the gun room. Now I was standing at the counter browsing through a catalog. Next minute a shout came from the gun room(wait for it:D) "is it center fire or rim fire you want as I don't have any center fire left":eek: and then without pausing the young lad shouted back(God love him)"OK I will chance the rim fire" This gentlemen is the God's honest truth,I had to put him straight. When I stop laughing about it as I regularly think about this incident I will tell you about the Bore sighters he was selling ****ing priceless:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

That takes the biscuit, ****in hell......

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

the only unrestricted one i can think of other than 22s is 3030 win

There are several typically available in unrestricted calibres, e.g. BLR and Savage 99. They tend to be the ones that don't look like "cowboy" rifles. The irony, of course, is that they are typically more powerful than the restricted, traditional leverguns.

Also, historically the calibres offered in traditional rifles did include some below .30, typically various cartridges around .22 and .25 cal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭jaysblades

so lever action in .17hmr is un restricted yes ? im looking into a henry for the new year.

jaysblades wrote: »
    so lever action in .17hmr is un restricted yes ? im looking into a henry for the new year.

yes unrestricted. but you must plug the mag to only accept ten rounds or it will be a restricted firearm, if granted an unrestricted licence and the mag isn't plugged the licence is void and the person with it would be in possession of an unlicenced restricted firearm etc....

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    There are several typically available in unrestricted calibres, e.g. BLR and Savage 99. They tend to be the ones that don't look like "cowboy" rifles. The irony, of course, is that they are typically more powerful than the restricted, traditional leverguns.

Also, historically the calibres offered in traditional rifles did include some below .30, typically various cartridges around .22 and .25 cal.

yes i overlooked the blr, 1895 etc.. slipped my mind. i had a 3030win licenced some round on deer. yes the pistol caliber offerings are weak in comparison to the other larger traditional calibers etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

yes i overlooked the blr, 1895 etc.. slipped my mind. i had a 3030win licenced some round on deer. yes the pistol caliber offerings are weak in comparison to the other larger traditional calibers etc..

Where would you get a savage 99 these days??
    They havent been made for decades and are collectors items and getting toi valuable to shoot all the time??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement