Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeling sh*t after christmas

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

KungPao wrote: »
    Nice.

May I ask how much and with which airline?

I am there now, but will be coming back next December...looking for deals.

Lufthansa for 650. There was the Bargain Alerts flights to Buenos Aires as mentioned above, but the dates really didn't suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Thanks Dr Phil ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Sempleesc wrote: »
    Needing something to look forward to is a bad sign. It indicates that you have a bad relationship to the present moment. The present moment is all there ever is and you spend it trying to get away from it constantly to some point in the future, then when that point comes you still aren'the happy and want another point in the future.

Learn to accept the present moment, enjoy the now.

Well we know what you got for Christmas - A crap self help book :D

I think being indoors and overeating is always going to lead to feeling down, for me at least. So getting out into the fresh air for a walk or a run and eating a load of fruit and veg mightn't sound very Christmassy but it definitely stops that depression kicking in.

Setting goals for the coming weeks/months really will give you focus too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Feeling completely **** and a bit down tbh. I feel like I'm running on fumes at this stage. Christmas was not great this year as I had to go to a funeral the day before Christmas Eve then over the past few days I haven't really had a minute at all to just relax as I still had to do the whole family thing. I was back in work yesterday and today... will be off work from tomorrow until Sunday. I'll spend the next few days still working at home though because I've a pretty major college assignment due Monday the 5th and a practical exam on the Tuesday, another practical exam on the 12th and then written exam on the 18th.

On the plus side my missus is a legend and got me a PS4 for Christmas which was completely unexpected. At this rate I'm hoping to unpack it some time in April if I'm lucky. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I hate to be that guy, but i feel feckin fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

I love Christmas and the build up to it and I suppose I used to feel it a bit of an anti climax afterwards. But now I look at it like this:
    The days are slowly getting longer
    Spring is on the horizon
    Then summer an hopefully a holiday etc

Nowadays I love when the madness of Christmas is over so I can look forward to all of the above and more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

i have not met one person in the last week that said they liked Christmas. I think the ****e feeling is compounded with this festive vibe where everybody is expected to be overly happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

crazygeryy wrote: »
    No offense to you but the answer to life's woes or feeling down isn't climbing an effing mountain or ****ing excercise.jesus every time someone says go for a walk it will make you feel better i want to throttle them.
    It doesn't work for everyone.

True, it doesn't work for everyone, but it certainly works for quite a few people, so don't knock it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I felt shít yesterday and the day before after getting far, far, far too festive with a bottle of rum, but am all good now.

Sounds like you showed that bottle of rum a GOOD time. :pac::P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Oh god I'm hitting panic mode now. Back in work today and have 4 college exams starting on Wednesday 7th with minimal study done. Also hitting Galway tomorrow for New Years so will lose a day of study. Feeling like sh*t is an understatement but its more so stress. Lets do this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I do suffer with anxiety/depression anyway but have a great handle on it. I kind of love routine and am a good planner so when it's out of whack then I can become a little off balance. I am just going with the flow and my sister visited a while ago which was nice. Stuff to look forward to im sure. Practising a lot of mindfulness today which helps ME so much.

Tzardine wrote: »
    Thanks Dr Phil ^
    Well we know what you got for Christmas - A crap self help book :D

Looks like Dr Phil took his own advice :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Hate it. Money gone. OH gone. Shopping gone. Wine gone. Got fat, tired and dehydrated and hate new years. F.uck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

If you can't enjoy today you can't enjoy life.

Always knew Jose was a cnut, special one my hole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Every day we are alive is a good one. When I think of all the people I've lost through tragedies and illness it can make me sad, but I go on, and thank my blessings.

And I notice the days getting longer - the lights on the timers tell me this! and that is good.

So Spring is not too far behind. We don't need that much to make us happy, just a recognition that we all have bad days, if so, wallow in it, then the next day is better.

And I don't care if anyone agrees with me or not, but getting out even for half an hour on a lovely bright, cold sunny day at this time of year works for me.

Hope you will all be ok.

Every day we are alive is a good one. When I think of all the people I've lost through tragedies and illness it can make me sad, but I go on, and thank my blessings.

And I notice the days getting longer - the lights on the timers tell me this! and that is good.

So Spring is not too far behind. We don't need that much to make us happy, just a recognition that we all have bad days, if so, wallow in it, then the next day is better.

And I don't care if anyone agrees with me or not, but getting out even for half an hour on a lovely bright, cold sunny day at this time of year works for me.

Hope you will all be ok.

I lost my little brother through tragedy an accidental overdose a couple of years ago. I reckon it did something to me as I suffered a lot after it x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mod: Don't give medical advice (i.e-recommending medication)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

Feeling pretty sh*t tbh but i'm gonna go for a walk now and hopefully that'll help. sad thing is I've to do these kinda of things alone as my friends only ever wanna drink. It can be depressing as you'd see couples and groups of friends out for a stroll and i'll be on my tod. Hopefully 2015 will be a better year for me socially. Just booked a month in Thailand for February before heading to Oz so that's given me a definite mood boost :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

New Years day is Christmas day that had polio as a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I have no time for "feeling ****" or post xmas depression to settle in. Working 8 days 11-12 hour shifts starting 27th. I just sleep, work and poop.
    I work on new years day at 6:00 in the morning so I won't even bother going out.

Those hours are illegal, you must have one day off in 7 or two in 14!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

New years day can be a miserable aul day alright. There's nowhere open, most people are hungover and the weathers usually shíte. Also, now that Christmas and New Years are over, there is nothing to look forward to except getting back to the grind.

Why is New Years even a big celebration? The change of a year is no different than a change of month, change of day or change of hour. It's just an indication of the passage of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

lukesmom wrote: »
    I lost my little brother through tragedy an accidental overdose a couple of years ago. I reckon it did something to me as I suffered a lot after it x

Oh my love, that is so hard on you and your family.

There is nothing I can say to comfort you, except to think of his good days and the fun you had together. That's not easy either, as it can bring a shedload of tears too.

To be honest with you I have a major cry out about three days before Christmas for all those lovely people I will never see again. Then the next day, I am ok. It's like the dam has burst.

As my youngest sister (who I lost to illness) used to say, even when she was passing away.....

"Feck it, onwards and upwards folks"

I wish you and all of us the very best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Going out for a brisk walk DOES help, it activates natural feel good chemicals in the brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

eternal wrote: »
    Going out for a brisk walk DOES help, it activates natural feel good chemicals in the brain.

So does eating chocolate, you freeze your arse off outside, I'll enjoy my dark chocolate tyvm

• Advertisement

I agree that exercise can help but I always got the feeling that that feel good sensation only serves to paper over the cracks of deeper lying problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Dreading tomorrow night. I find NYE so depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

thelad95 wrote: »
    I agree that exercise can help but I always got the feeling that that feel good sensation only serves to paper over the cracks of deeper lying problems.
    I'd say that about anti-depressants rather than exercise. Exercise has deeper and more long-lasting effects on well-being, but you have to keep it up.
    I'm not against anti-depressants btw - I have taken them and found them brilliant. Only a small dosage and temporarily - I know that's not comparable to having to take a high dosage long-term, but they still helped me hugely.
    But they aren't the full solution at all. They help people to help themselves though. Once a person starts to feel better thanks to the meds, they are in more of a position to talk to someone, go out exercising, tackle what's creating unhappiness/stress in their lives, etc.

So does eating chocolate, you freeze your arse off outside, I'll enjoy my dark chocolate tyvm

Eating chocolate is short term pleasure and will cause weight gain. Exercise tones and benefits plus you don't have to do it outside but on a threadmill if the cold is a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Worst Christmas i have had in a long time. Im in love with 3 women and they all broke my heart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Christmas was great, too much drinking and being out. Staying in tonight as I have 3 gigs in a row over the coming days. Feeling pretty rough, withdrawals. I need a serious detox.

I don't drink I wouldn't dare, it would ruin my mental health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

eviltwin wrote: »
    Dreading tomorrow night. I find NYE so depressing.

Last time I was out was nearly ten years ago, I stay in and watch the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Worst Christmas i have had in a long time. Im in love with 3 women and they all broke my heart

I did try - but the amount of sympathy I could find for your predicament was so embarrassingly small I decided to give it would only offend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've never eaten or drank as much as this christmas. Its taken me till today to feel okay. Sunday wasn't pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

I really like NYE. Good night to pull birds. Do I sound shallow? I don't care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Went back to work yesterday and today. Delighted to get back to some sort of normality. Cabin fever sitting in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Feel so sad and lonely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

Spent the last hour crying it's literally hard to stop the tears. Anti climax it must be.

Listen, its like this every year and unless your under 10, christmas is just a big mass marketing episode, built up since september in order to make people spend. I won't go on, you know this already.

Get out, go for a walk, go to the gym, walk on the beach. Don't look at the news, don't look at the soaps, do your utmost not to engage in post xmas conversation ( how was it for you etc ) , ignore new years eve, stick on some headphone and listen to some music you enjoy( there's some weird thread in here about some looper who got some for christmas and didn't like them, maybe they'll pass them on to you ) .

It is just an odd time of year and if you can ignore it, you're better for it, seriously. Life will move on, spring will come, etc.

Oh, and ignore all the media ****e about black monday , apparently its the second monday in january when everyone gets down ! Thats just another media fed frenzy , probably thought up in order to make people spend money on something that will make them feel good. Utter bull**** !

Hope you can put some of this into practice, anyway, your Lukesmom, Im assuming he's your son, look at his little face, that should make you smile.

New Years eve is just one of those nights everyone pretends to like but actually hates. Everywhere is overcrowded, drink and entry prices are hiked up, you more than likely will lose your friends and you'll probably be too ****-faced and annoyed to care about the countdown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

thelad95 wrote: »
    New Years eve is just one of those nights everyone pretends to like but actually hates.
    Lots of people rather than everyone I suppose. I love NYE.
    There are quieter bars too and you can go to people's houses/have people over.

Fair bit of "I hate Christmas/new year's, therefore everyone else should suffer with me" on this and other threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I thought I was the only one who's feeling miserable, it's nice to know I'm not alone, this thread has really cheered me up.

Fair bit of "I hate Christmas/new year's, therefore everyone else should suffer with me" on this and other threads.

I don't think there's been any of that. The fact of the matter is that it is a lonely time of the year for a lot of people especially those with no family or friends around. If you feel that them being brave enough to share their feelings will bring you down, then avoid those threads.

Personally, I've had a very pleasant Christmas but there's been a horrible comedown the last few days and New Years Eve is just over-rated tripe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Feel so sad and lonely

Are you just a Gigolo ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

My belly is finally beginning to return to it's normal size, I was just about able to close the clasp on my trousers this morning... finally :D

It's never a good thing when your trouser waist size is 4 inches more than the leg size. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I'm in the same boat OP, on a complete comedown now after it, knowing its back to the normal Mon-fri **** next week. January is going to be a tough month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

DarkJager wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat OP, on a complete comedown now after it, knowing its back to the normal Mon-fri **** next week. January is going to be a tough month.

No, its not, its all about perspective, if you say its gonna be ****, well , it will be.

If you say its gonna be a good month it will be.

Maybe its the month you manage to save a few quid ( no christmas presents to buy )

Maybe its the month you lose a few kgs.

Maybe its the month you think about a holiday in the coming months

Maybe its the month you meet some really nice guy/gal and really enjoy their company

Tons of maybes, don't run with the common belief that January is crap, because its not, its the start of another year, anything could happen

Perspective, thats what its all about. You're the only one who can change that.

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    It's never a good thing when your trouser waist size is 4 inches more than the leg size. :D

New Year's resolution - Get 4 inches taller :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Spent the last hour crying it's literally hard to stop the tears. Anti climax it must be.

Run out into a field and let a roar out of you at the top of your voice!! It is a desperate time of the year. I can't wait to get back to get into at least 5 if not 6 days a week of work in January.

• Advertisement

I want the traffic and the pushy people in shops to calm down. There's no sense to the buying and the banging around, it's really stressful.

Advertisement