Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeling sh*t after christmas

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

thelad95 wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is that it is a lonely time of the year for a lot of people especially those with no family or friends around. If you feel that them being brave enough to share their feelings will bring you down, then avoid those threads.
    That's not what I said at all - I'm all for sharing feelings. I'm talking about people making comments like yours that "Everyone else" dislikes something just because some people dislike it.
    I know it's a very hard time of year for many people though, I'm not disputing that.
    I don't like Halloween or St Stephen's night but I don't decide others don't like them either just because I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

tempura wrote: »
    No, its not, its all about perspective, if you say its gonna be ****, well , it will be.

If you say its gonna be a good month it will be.

Maybe its the month you manage to save a few quid ( no christmas presents to buy )

Maybe its the month you lose a few kgs.

Maybe its the month you think about a holiday in the coming months

Maybe its the month you meet some really nice guy/gal and really enjoy their company

Tons of maybes, don't run with the common belief that January is crap, because its not, its the start of another year, anything could happen

Perspective, thats what its all about. You're the only one who can change that.

You're right about approaching things with a positive attitude but January is naturally a major downer. Looking forward to Christmas makes the horrible cold dark December weather seem not as bad but once Christmas is over, it can seem like there's nothing to look forward to.

In addition, it's a miserable month weather-wise and a lot of people have fúck-all money after over-spending at Christmas and whoever decided January should have 31 days was a grim fúcker because it really does feel like the longest month of the year.

I always find February to be a really positive month. Spring has begun and the stretch in the evenings becomes noticeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

I gained weight, nothing fits me, my skin has gone to crap because of all the sweets, I'm broke and my siblings are driving me up the wall. I love Christmas but right now I'm like f**k this, get me back to a bit of routine. Plus I just found a little mouse in my room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

New Year's resolution - Get 4 inches taller :pac:

In reality to have a leg size 4 inches more, you'd probably have to increase in overall height by 7-8 inches though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭worded

I can just barely finish this box of after 8s .... I will try though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That first proper bit of outdoor exercise after the Christmas overindulgence is the worst but the coldness of it is so refreshing. You'll relish it the day after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

From next year I'm thinking of planning out the twelve days of Christmas like a holiday with a different activity like a trip to the zoo or a pantomime each day, ending in a traditional Twelfthnight party on the 5th. I've been reading up on Twelfthnight and it sounds fun. You take down your decorations early in the day and use what you'd be disposing, like a real tree/holly etc, for a bonfire. And you eat various kinds of King Cakes, figgy pudding, toffee apples and you drink hot cider. There are all sorts of traditional games to be played based on who gets the king in the cake. It sounds like a great way to round off Christmas and I'm a bit pissed off it fell out of fashion.

And after twelve days of Christmas celebrations I reckon I'll be more than a little relieved to see the back of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

iguana wrote: »
    From next year I'm thinking of planning out the twelve days of Christmas like a holiday with a different activity like a trip to the zoo or a pantomime each day, ending in a traditional Twelfthnight party on the 5th. I've been reading up on Twelfthnight and it sounds fun. You take down your decorations early in the day and use what you'd be disposing, like a real tree/holly etc, for a bonfire. And you eat various kinds of King Cakes, figgy pudding, toffee apples and you drink hot cider. There are all sorts of traditional games to be played based on who gets the king in the cake. It sounds like a great way to round off Christmas and I'm a bit pissed off it fell out of fashion.

And after twelve days of Christmas celebrations I reckon I'll be more than a little relieved to see the back of it all.

Sounds pretty cool actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

lukesmom wrote: »
    I lost my little brother through tragedy an accidental overdose a couple of years ago. I reckon it did something to me as I suffered a lot after it x

I've no doubt it did. I hope this year is easier for ye, Lukesmom!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Was feeling absolutely terrible last night with the usual regrets that I didn't do enough over the christmas to make the most use of my time. Why did I sleep in all those days? Why did I go out all those nights and be hungover for so many days? etc etc

Truth of it all is I am back to work today, its nearly 11 o'clock, feels as though I never left and I have my routine back in order. Now that I am back in work mode I had a think back on the christmas period and it was one of the most enjoyable I have had in a long time.

Feel refreshed after the break and very thankful that I have the 'unfortunate hindrance' of getting up for work on New Years eve.

From now its head down, dust the daily work, enjoy the weekends and bomb towards the summer which is a better and more enjoyable season anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Sure you won't feel Christmas coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Irish people over hype and celebrate Christmas way too much.

We need to pull it in a little imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    It's never a good thing when your trouser waist size is 4 inches more than the leg size. :D

"Does my tummy look big in this?"

*sucks in like a mad thing* :pac:

Yeah, deffo gonna have to concentrate more on my diet and cut down on three spoons of sugar in my many cups of coffee (have to cut down on that too! :()

30 leg, 36 waist :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I've found a good way of not over-indulging; get a bad sinus infection :mad:

I can't taste or smell anything at the moment and food is only consumed when I'm weak with the hunger as it's more of a chore when you can't enjoy it.

Fah-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-laaaahhh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Detox starts Monday. Hold me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

That first proper bit of outdoor exercise after the Christmas overindulgence is the worst but the coldness of it is so refreshing. You'll relish it the day after.
    I went for my first run of 2015 earlier. It was entirely horrible, but it did help to shake off some of the holiday lethargy afterwards . I hope you're right about relishing it tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I feel your pain.

Time to Man Up on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Monday will be painful, but spare a thought for those of us that were back on the 29th, worked New Year's Eve (half-day), and were back in again yesterday. Also, spare a thought for those, who had to work over the Christmas.

I had thought the holidays over Christmas would be fairly generous in my place, but because of the industry, myself and other staff were needed. Though, in the office, we may as well have not been there, bar one or two. Many places do not go back until Monday, obviously, but going back last week was depressing. It must be even more depressing for those working on Christmas Eve/Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

I worked Christmas Eve, finished at 4.30. I didn't think it was too bad, to be fair.

Haven't worked since. Early Monday morning, heading out in the dark and cold, is going to SUCK! Ah well... Actually what's more depressing is *not* having a job to go to after Christmas. That was me in 2007, it was awful.
    So feck it, once I'm back in there Monday it'll be grand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

No sooner will everyone be back, and it will be like they were never on holidays :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Dracula!

I have good news your detoxed already.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

I feel a bit better now I've managed to stop eating a million calories a day. Moving forward lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

I was feeling grand till Friday when the teens started the countdown to going back to school on Monday. Same old clash of them moaning away about how awful it is, the hardship, etc. and me feeling exactly the opposite - can't wait for some peace, the routine of getting up early and not having to fight over bed times. Roll on Monday morning!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

10 cans of Guinness left. Half a bottle of Lidl's second best Scotch. And a third of a bottle of gin.
    I reckon I'll make it through to tonight on that balanced diet.
    Then down the doctor on Monday for the annual Librium detox. Peaceful easy feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

Reasons for feeling ****e:

1. I have spent all my money
    2. I can't go out now
    3. Work is going to be mental in Jan (probably good actually)

Other than that I feel great. Going to go for a cycle tomorrow and take some pictures. Unless it rains, in which case I'll stay on the couch.

Reasons for feeling ****e:

1. I have spent all my money
    2. I can't go out now
    3. Work is going to be mental in Jan (probably good actually)

Other than that I feel great. Going to go for a cycle tomorrow and take some pictures. Unless it rains, in which case I'll stay on the couch.

If some drunk ****er throws an empty bottle at you while you're out cycling about, it was nothing personal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Have to severely ration what cash I have left for the next 19 days until payday or else delve into the rainy day fund. Feel fat although had a healthy few days (except New Years Eve) since Stephen's Day to make the Monday purge less of a shock to the system.

First week back into it will fly, will not drink at the weekend but grab a nice brunch or lunch on Sat and kick on into week two of January thus racing over the halfway mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I'm going to buy one of them cheap magazines on how to build a Star Wars battleship then find price goes up after 1st week but keep going till they take my house off me through non payment and I end up with a cheap crap Star Wars battleship .

I'm going to buy one of them cheap magazines on how to build a Star Wars battleship then find price goes up after 1st week but keep going till they take my house off me through non payment and I end up with a cheap crap Star Wars battleship .

Use quality glue.. you will be living in the battle ship. As you sail away to the stars of a cold night, the glue will be your guide.

....or else wise up and pop down the offie and get a bottle. Going to work drunk is not a sin, getting caught is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Blue Monday will strike in two weeks time when the bills hit.

Been off for over two weeks and the depression of going back has been creeping up over the last few days. Going back to work tomorrow is going to be torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I'm broke and fat. Ugh. Back to the drawing board tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Am recovering from the last hangover of the season courtesy of Weatherspoons. Feeling really crappy today.

Tomorrow I am back to work and going healthy for the month. No booze. Lots of good food. More exercise....yada yada yada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I lost 2.5lbs over Christmas. Mwahhahahaha.

No, I don't know how either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I lost 2.5lbs over Christmas. Mwahhahahaha.

Me too. High five!
    No, I don't know how either.

Was sick on Xmas Day, which helped a lot as I didn't eat anything all day. Then just didn't go as mad this year as other years. Just reigned it in a tad. And basically didn't eat breakfast for two weeks. No need for more than two meals a day when you're not working and eating extra crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Gained about 3 kilos.

We were back in my wife's hometown (where we used to live) over the new year period. This involved big lunches with both sides of her family during the days, and me meeting my own friends at nights to go drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I find a nice 2 week break in January helps ease in the new year, Asia is always a good spot to go at this time of year, cheap and not too warm. It particularly helps when the weather is crap outside and breaks up the winter.

Advertisement