Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What food/drinks are amazing but few people in Ireland consume?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

To be fair, barring maybe lunchtime at the UN general assembly where all the delegates had to bring their own packed lunch for some reason, is there anywhere on earth (never mind an entire country) where you'll find people eating Polish juice, Jamaican food, Brazilian beans, haggis, sushi, Turkish Bread, Ramen, Borsch, pork scratchings, vietnamese food, pigs ears, pine needle tea etc. all at the same time?

Every European country and the USA off the top of my head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Biltong from South Africa. Delicious snack to have when drinking. It's a dried cured beef.

Pastrami; lucky it can be gotten here but it is a superior sandwich filler meat to ham or salami etc.

Poutine; a Canadian dish of chips, gravy and cheese. Delicious! Especially after a night out.

Half and half. Makes a coffee taste incredible. Ignoring the health drawbacks obviously but it cannot be gotten in Dublin unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Half and half. Makes a coffee taste incredible. Ignoring the health drawbacks obviously but it cannot be gotten in Dublin unfortunately.

Not a thing wrong with a bit of cream and full fat milk, healthwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Polish sausage is quite good, not the one prepacked from the supermarket but if you go into a Polish deli they will cut some off from a giant cord of sausage. Nice garlicky taste.

Overall, I think a lot of the food here gets a bad wrap for no reason and it is often better to look inward than go nuts over some sub standard food from Bora Bora or Vella Lavella. A good, properly made Irish stew is vastly superior to anything the Frogs or other nationalities stuck up their own back sides can make. Carrot cake over Creme Brulee all the way.

I sink you weel find eet eez spelled 'Crème Brûlée'.

* twirls moustache *

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Noblong wrote: »
    Tymbark fruit juice in the Polish shops. Come in 2L cartons in funny flavors. Todays aquisition: Apple and Cherry. (Nearly picked up Apple and Mint, ugh. but I'll probably get around to it). Lovley stuff.

You would be better avoiding the apple and mint one. Made that mistake before, was going to apple and cherry but picked up the wrong one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Offal in general like tripe, livers etc. Seriously good when cooked/seasoned right. Before Christmas we were at a pretty good restaurant and my older sister (who is the least adventurous eater going) tried some lamb sweetbreads. Thought it was delicious until I told her what it was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Cienciano wrote: »
    Problem with lamb in a curry, there's a good chance you'll get lower quality meat. Fatty and chewy. Chicken is hard to fúck up.

That's the entire point of using the tougher cuts in curry's or stews or casseroles, the longer cooking time breaks down the connective tissue, renders the fat into the sauce (nom, fat) and tenderises the meat.

The best tasting pieces of an animal are the hardest working.

Give me beef shin or lamb shoulder over any of the prime cuts any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

There's a Jamaican place in Galway that a friend of mine keeps raving about, must try it at some stage, the curried goat sounds awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Problem with lamb in a curry, there's a good chance you'll get lower quality meat. Fatty and chewy. Chicken is hard to fúck up.

If you slow cook it for long enough it's the dogs nads, even if the meat is a little tougher. But you really notice it in some takeaways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Links234 wrote: »
    There's a Jamaican place in Galway that a friend of mine keeps raving about, must try it at some stage, the curried goat sounds awesome

https://www.facebook.com/jamaicajoesgalway

Apparently Irelands only Jamaican restaurant.

Curried goat IS awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Polish sausage is quite good, not the one prepacked from the supermarket but if you go into a Polish deli they will cut some off from a giant cord of sausage. Nice garlicky taste.

Overall, I think a lot of the food here gets a bad wrap for no reason and it is often better to look inward than go nuts over some sub standard food from Bora Bora or Vella Lavella. A good, properly made Irish stew is vastly superior to anything the #### or other nationalities stuck up their own back sides can make. Carrot cake over Creme Brulee all the way.

I don't think it does get a bad wrap at all. I've seen glowing reviews of Ireland's new found foodiness in all sorts of international reviews.

Also, don't diss the French so much, they're huge fans of Irish cheeses, meats and French publications give us really strong reviews quite regularly!
    Simple non-poncy French food isn't an awful lot different from Irish stew either and it's very very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I have a passionate love for Jamaican food and have had really good results with a particular curry recipe. I'm lucky enough to be able to get goat meat to make it too, but the recipe would also work for lamb or chicken pieces (not breast). If you want it I'll type it up in the cooking section of the forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I have a passionate love for Jamaican food and have had really good results with a particular curry recipe. I'm lucky enough to be able to get goat meat to make it too, but the recipe would also work for lamb or chicken pieces (not breast). If you want it I'll type it up in the cooking section of the forums.

Yes please

Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I dun a ting. Please enjoy.

Yeah, I really do want to try the Jamaican curry sometime soon ;)

Japanese curry is amazing too, really love it! Some of the curry places I've been to when I was in Tokyo were awesome, but I'm lucky enough that my local Japanese restaurant does a pretty god damn amazing katsu curry when the chef feels like it :pac: it's not on the regular menu, but he does it on special sometimes. To describe it, Japanese curry is sweeter and kinda more like a stew, really delicious.

That settles it! Tomorrow night I'm off down to my local Jamaican joint for the Kingston Curry and lashing of rice and peas. Happy New Year to me!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

mikemac1 wrote: »
    There is only one fizzy orange worth buying and that's Finches orange.

The only reason Fanta is in all shops is because it's a Coca Cola own it, it's a far inferior product. Marginally better but still overrated is Club orange which the publicans all seem to buy

I'm afraid you're utterly wrong, my friend. Had you said Orangina you might have had a point, although you would still have been deeply in error. The one true orange is San Pellegrino Aranciata.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

I love:

Beef Jerky
    Pickled Onions
    Sauerkraut (and mustard sandwiches)
    Kim-Chi (it's that Korean spice pickled cabbage...fcuking divine)
    Chicory
    Anchovies
    Fried cheese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The Peanut wrote: »
    I love bacon and cabbage. Really think it could take off if people gave it a try.
    actually not sure if you're serious, guessing not, but I have never had it. Is it popular at all? I struggle to think of any times I heard people saying they had it for dinner, I can only think of 1 instance and people were ripping the piss out of them.

I can't recall ever seeing it on menus either. I always thought it was a thing in the mind of yanks -Irish people eating bacon & cabbage and saying "top o the morning to ye"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

rubadub wrote: »
    actually not sure if you're serious, guessing not, but I have never had it. Is it popular at all? I struggle to think of any times I heard people saying they had it for dinner, I can only think of 1 instance and people were ripping the piss out of them.

I can't recall ever seeing it on menus either. I always thought it was a thing in the mind of yanks -Irish people eating bacon & cabbage and saying "top o the morning to ye"

Good quality boiled bacon and proper cabbage with a bit of butter melting into it and some fluffy mashed potatoes. Man, you actually cannot beat it. Well worth doing some day.

I'd have to disagree with you. I haven't seen it on menus in Ireland in the "posher" pubs in a long long time. But it was defo there in the 90s. However I did have it last July in a Pub in Tipperary and it was bloody delish! I guess Irish pubs got into the "gastro" thing.

I ate it regularly at home growing up and still do. Even though I no longer live in Ireland, I can buy the ingredients in the Canary Islands. Bacon is imported anyway. Spuds out here a feckin fab, but the cabbage is light in colour and not like the green **** you get back home. English people love it too, so its not a particular Irish thing. One of our local pubs serves it with mash and parsely sauce and its a big seller at 9 quid a pop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Markcheese wrote: »
    Applewood smoked cheddar - it's not cheddar and it's not smoked -

So what's this then?: http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=264014086

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Ireland could use more Korean restaurants. Some absolutely amazing food in that country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

I grew up as a child of the 70's and it was eaten once a week in my house and the houses of everyone I knew so yes, tongue in cheek. When cooked properly with good quality bacon, it is delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Snails

Delish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

fussyonion wrote: »
    Well it certainly isn't smoked
    Ingredients:
    Cheddar Cheese (Milk),Smoke Flavouring ,Paprika

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ireland could use more Korean restaurants. Some absolutely amazing food in that country.

There wouldn't be a stray dog on the streets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Armelodie wrote: »
    Anchovies, used to have them in small jars in tescos.

Aldi or Lidl have them (tins) beside the sardines/tuna. Never had them, must try some on a pizza soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Chai tea, you can get the powdered stuff in a few cafes but it's muck compared to the real thing.

Bulgogi/kimchi korean generally. There was an awesome little place in the epicurean that did the nicest bulgogi I've had outside Korea itself or Chicago. Closed down for lack of trade and now there's ANOTHER bloody tapas place there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Olives, most people I know treat them like poison.

They are what they call an acquired taste, but once you get it, you'll want more and more.

Also tomoatoes, I might be wrong and maybe my sampling is an oddity, but I have often came across people with a dislikening with tomatoes, which I find bizarre.

Oh and pate, didn't think I'd like it, but after having some for Christmas, my God, I want more. Goes down a treat with cucumber on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Olives, most people I know treat them like poison.

They are what they call an acquired taste, but once you get it, you'll want more and more.

Also tomoatoes, I might be wrong and maybe my sampling is an oddity, but I have often came across people with a dislikening with tomatoes, which I find bizarre

Good one. I have an obsession with tomatoes. Structure, skin, seeds, what ones go well with what dish, which ones are good for frying, salads, cooking, what onions go well with them, what vinegar, what type of salt!!! Can't wait for the summer!

As for olives... I go out of my way to get good ones. Can't get enough of them. Supervalu's ones are really good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I am a bit of a weirdo in that often instead of crisps or something like that as a snack walking around, I will be eating olives (the strong black Herbie ones) or slices of ham straight from the packet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

Also tomoatoes, I might be wrong and maybe my sampling is an oddity, but I have often came across people with a dislikening with tomatoes, which I find bizarre.

Fcuking Triffads, horrible fecking things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Tinned anchovies. Tesco Finest are the best out there.

Also olives and artichokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Markcheese wrote: »
    Applewood smoked cheddar - it's not cheddar and it's not smoked -
    fussyonion wrote: »

"Made from West Country Cheddar" so it's not real Cheddar anymore just processed muck. Your link also says it contains milk but it won't be going in my tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You can get the instant miso in most health food shops and larger Tescos. Mr Bells in the English Market has vastly superior miso paste (Shiromiso and Akamiso) but it comes in 400g bags which are not all that convenient.

I've seen Tofu in loads of places too but i don't like it much.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I've found Irish people don't really like any international food that's not Chinese or Indian, and even at that, our idea of "Chinese" or "Indian" food is totally different from the actual stuff. Paella is incredible, but it's very hard to get here, as well as sushi, I used to make it a thing to go out for a sushi dinner at least once a week, always get it whenever the opportunity arises. I also love the various types of sausage you can get in mainland Europe, luckily, I live in an area with a significant immigrant population, so it's fairly easy for me to get. Nigerian food is also incredible, once a Nigerian woman I knew cooked a meal for me, unfortunately, I'm no longer in contact with her and never asked her for the recipes, only thing I remember from that meal was fried plantain, which is something I cook every now and then. International food makes Irish food look like crap in my opinion, very rarely would I eat an "Irish" dinner, unless someone else was doing the cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Mmm! That was delicious tofu......said no one......ever

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Next Gen Gamer

Degag wrote: »
    Riesen are awesome. Only problem is there is only 6 in a pack.

I remember the ad...
    RIESEN.....THE CHOCOLATE CHEW!!!

• Advertisement

Mmm! That was delicious tofu......said no one......ever

I've often said it, tofu can be ****ing gorgeous, so it can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Shrimp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That's the entire point of using the tougher cuts in curry's or stews or casseroles, the longer cooking time breaks down the connective tissue, renders the fat into the sauce (nom, fat) and tenderises the meat.

The best tasting pieces of an animal are the hardest working.

Give me beef shin or lamb shoulder over any of the prime cuts any day.

Point is, most indians don't do this and the meat will be fatty and chewy. Same with beef. Go to a high quality indian and you'll get good stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Foccacia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Jamaican food.

Johnny cakes. Jerk chicken. Goat/mutton curry. Rice and peas.

A Jamaican chicken curry served with rice and peas and a side salad is an experience. Puts the Indians to shame regarding flavours.
    Links234 wrote: »
    Grandeeod wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/jamaicajoesgalway

Apparently Irelands only Jamaican restaurant.

Curried goat IS awesome!
    Jamaican me hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Fish - that is not cod or cod-like, tuna.

Shrimps/prawns - I know many people who are grossed out by them, but really, they are delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

KungPao wrote: »

Shrimps/prawns - I know many people who are grossed out by them, but really, they are delicious.

Many people might think of prawns as only being served in a prawn cocktail, particularly the older generations. That would put me off prawns anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It's similar to sherry. Which is popular with grannys across the country

Granny's will have Harveys Bristol Cream which is to Sherry what Sandeman is to Port and Budweiser is to beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

laver bread and cockles fried in bacon fat. It's a Welsh dish made with fresh seaweed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement