Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What food/drinks are amazing but few people in Ireland consume?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Pistachio ice cream.

I'll always get some when I'm in town, there's an Italian ice cream shop does it. But I miss buying tubs of it in the supermarket and having some anytime I feel like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Olives , the amount of people who fake barf when they see them, especially the stuffed ones ", because they look like eyes" , develop a palate guys ffs .

I'm afraid you're utterly wrong, my friend. Had you said Orangina you might have had a point, although you would still have been deeply in error. The one true orange is San Pellegrino Aranciata.

god no, it's so horrendously sweet. couldn't finish a can

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭DoomZ

Blue cheese melted onto a burger ( burger made with mustard and wostchester sauce)
    You will never go back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Oops69 wrote: »
    Olives , the amount of people who fake barf when they see them, especially the stuffed ones ", because they look like eyes" , develop a palate guys ffs .

Love Olives with crusty bread and salted olive oil for a dip.

Whats wrong with people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Tripe, people think it's disgusting because it's sheep's stomach, but they are fine with eaten a chickens period.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭AdFundum

DoomZ wrote: »
    Blue cheese melted onto a burger ( burger made with mustard and wostchester sauce)
    You will never go back

Back in my pre-vegan days, I devoured blue cheese like it was going out of fashion. Still miss the stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

One of the best things I've ever eaten was something called Indian soup (iirc). It was a round lump of bread, hollowed out and filled with a sauce somewhat similar to chili con carne. It was amazing, though I've only ever seen it in one place in the Czech Republic. It was my lunch for a few months after I discovered.

Battered and fried cheese like they have in Greece or the Czech Republic. It's lovely.

Feijoada - a Brazilian sauce made from kidney beans, usually eaten with rice. It's the perfect side dish.

A lot of Spanish food, one dish called salmorejo especially. It's similar to gazpacho but thicker and served with diced ham.

Guarana Antartica - a Brazilian soft drink with a guarana flavour (reminds me a bit of Cidona). Not to everybody's taste but is probably the most refreshing drink I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Heroditas wrote: »
    Many people might think of prawns as only being served in a prawn cocktail, particularly the older generations. That would put me off prawns anyway!
    Yeah, sounds about right.

They are a staple on the beach in Brazil...battered and deep fried, very very tasty.

In Ireland, from my Chinese they are amazing. Served with peppers, onions and oodles of MSG presumably. Taste explosion.

Me ma won't even eat salmon. It seems the older Irish folks can only stomach the aul cod.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Eels, (northern) Irish eels go to mainland europe or are smoked and sold at truly extraordinary prices in the "posh" food shops, apart from Asian places I don't think I have ever seen eel on the menu is a restaurant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Pumpkin Pie. Had to get my mum to bring home some canned pumpkin from the states so could make one. Made it for New Years eve. So delicious. Nom nom nom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Mmm! That was delicious tofu......said no one......ever

So you didn't hear my mum, sister and her fiance last night then! I made it as part of an overall Indian feast. Marinaded in Tikka spices and yoghurt then roasted. Did same with chicken for the meat eaters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

A lot of Spanish food, one dish called salmorejo especially. It's similar to gazpacho but thicker and served with diced ham.

I'm descovering things like this are so fecking easy and cheap too. Just if your willing to crush a garlic clove. Great student food, there's no need for scurvy if your poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

DoomZ wrote: »
    You will never go back

Agree - my wife makes these and they're great. Just had one an hour ago.

She puts the blue cheese inside the burger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Goat meat is awesome! Why don't we eat it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

Anyone else had the Meller caramel sweets? Used to be easy enough to find but I haven't seen them in a while now!

Pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Bacon and cabbage is up there with one of my more favourite things to eat, and it should never be eaten without parsley sauce. Lamb would be onr of my other favourite things.I don't know what's wrong with you people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Veal.

I'm surrounded by cows and calves here in the countryside, and yes, I know... love the calves, they're so cute.

But I'm French dammit, I need my veal once in a while ! Thankfully my Maman makes it for me when I go back.

Veal is juicy, tender, melt in the mouth gorgeous lightly panned in a bit of butter, or with Creme Fraiche ...

Chestnuts, simply roasted in the oven, are yummy too.
    Peel off a little slither of skin, place on a chips tray, and into the oven for 10/20 minutes. The skin becomes brittle and should peel right off them when they're done, and they look more yellow than when they're raw. They're floury and just the right sweetness.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    artichokes.

Yeah !
    I'm only near 2 small towns in the South East, and I rarely ever EVER find them in the shops.

Also, pumpkin, as a veg. Not tempted by pumpkin pie at all, but I make a mean Pumpkin soup, or gratin.

Aubergines ! Although they're such a pain to cook it's understandable people are not too keen. They have lovely pre-grilled frozen ones in Lidl at the moment, saves all the cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭AdFundum

Veal.

I'm surrounded by cows and calves here in the countryside, and yes, I know... love the calves, they're so cute.

But I'm French dammit, I need my veal once in a while ! Thankfully my Maman makes it for me when I go back.

Veal is juicy, tender, melt in the mouth gorgeous lightly panned in a bit of butter, or with Creme Fraiche ...

Chestnuts, simply roasted in the oven, are yummy too.
    Peel off a little slither of skin, place on a chips tray, and into the oven for 10/20 minutes. The skin becomes brittle and should peel right off them when they're done, and they look more yellow than when they're raw. They're floury and just the right sweetness.

Is it pastured raised veal or rose veal? Aside from those - I'd like to see the production of all other types of veal banned in the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

twizzlers. They started selling them briefly in Dunnes but stopped again.

Beef Jerky. I'm not into meat now but when I was I loved that stuff. You can buy small packets here but it really costs a fortune. in the US they sell it in huge bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

strobe wrote: »
    They're both technically fortified wines, but there the similarity ends. Port is a life affirming orgasmaramma of rich deep coffee, caramel, chocolate, and all the other nice things in the world flavours brought together in the nectre of the gods and handed out amongst the mortals of the world via crazy nymphomaniac Portuguese sex kittens and their bat **** insane drunken grandfathers, all over seen by a council of sea faring wizards descended from colonial English megalomaniacs.

Sherry is rat piss that tastes vaguely of damp soil and cheap vodka.

You have clearly never had proper sherry, please ignore the rats piss that is Harveys Bristol Cream. Failing a trip to Andalucía, I suggest looking out for good quality Fino - like a bone dry white wine, Manzanilla - also dry with a slight saltiness from being grown near the sea, amazing with olives, or if you want pure liquid raisins in a glass try a Pedro Ximenez, super thick and sweet.

Also Sherry is simply served wrong in Ireland - it should NEVER be served room temperature and is always chilled in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Twiglets. The crack of the snack world.

I beleive Tescos used to have them but they were withdrawn after a fierce turf war about distribution. The Twiglet cartels won.

AdFundum wrote: »
    Is it pastured raised veal or rose veal? Aside from those - I'd like to see the production of all other types of veal banned in the EU.

Good question, I don't know. My Mum is the one who always gets it.

Isn't the veal in France partly from imported Irish calves ? On the ferry there there's always truckloads of them.

All French people know about Irish lamb being one of the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I spent some time in the US and fell in love with hot dogs. I know we have hot dogs here, but it's not at all the same. I don't know what it is, but it just doesn't come close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

UCDVet wrote: »
    I spent some time in the US and fell in love with hot dogs. I know we have hot dogs here, but it's not at all the same. I don't know what it is, but it just doesn't come close

Yes their hotdogs are amazing. I only tried them in the airport but I must have eaten a dozen before getting on the plane. I knew it would be the last time I'd taste one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Lychees. They look like testicles but are really delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Sweet potatoes are very popular in Ireland, I find. My parents, who won't eat pasta or rice, love them!

Honestly, I prefer regular spuds. Sweet potato are too, well, sweet! And the texture is quite mushy, akin to overcooked carrot. And this is any way I've had them cooked and making sure they aren't cooked for too long. I like a little bit of sweet tatties mashed with other root veg, but on their own, they're far too sweet.

They're also more calorie dense than regular spuds.

Been eating swwet potatoes since 2003 when I first came across them in NZ, they call them kumara potatoes and are found on practically every bar/restaurant menu in the country, they're probably more popular than the regular spud. They weren't always so easy to find in Ireland, I think its only in the last 3 or 4 years that the sweet potato has gone 'mainstream' in Ireland and is available in Tesco, Dunnes, etc.

btw I thought sweet potatoes are supposed to be about half the calories of a normal potato :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

MadsL wrote: »
    You have clearly never had proper sherry, please ignore the rats piss that is Harveys Bristol Cream. Failing a trip to Andalucía, I suggest looking out for good quality Fino - like a bone dry white wine, Manzanilla - also dry with a slight saltiness from being grown near the sea, amazing with olives, or if you want pure liquid raisins in a glass try a Pedro Ximenez, super thick and sweet.

Also Sherry is simply served wrong in Ireland - it should NEVER be served room temperature and is always chilled in Spain.

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it another innings at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Also, pumpkin, as a veg. Not tempted by pumpkin pie at all, but I make a mean Pumpkin soup, or gratin.

Pumpkin tempura is awesome :D

My mum landed in with a big pumpkin for us at Halloween thinking we'd carve it but we got some tempura batter mix, some fish and other veg and made us up a whole load of tempura :D

Also pumpkin pie is really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Well it certainly isn't smoked

So you agree it is cheddar then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Muahahaha wrote: »
    btw I thought sweet potatoes are supposed to be about half the calories of a normal potato :confused:

No, they're more calorific (90 kcals per 100g as opposed to potato's 75kcals per 100g) but I think have a lower glycemic index.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Vegemite sandwiches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Vegemite sandwiches.

I know a man from Brussels, big lad, loves the stuff altogether!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Bacon and cabbage for dinner today,

I miss really god Mexican food, love their bean soups, make my own but never come close,

Sushi,

Wasabi,

Love a coddle but not relevant here, moved to a very rural area, married a country man who does not get coddle nor batch bread.

There are very little restaurants within 40 minutes, that's the basic ones, so any Yamamori or Mexican are pipe dreams.

This thread has made me google some new foods, so armed with the Brazilian chicken ball recipe I will start there,

I will also consciously revamp vegetarian night in our house too with a lot of suggestions here, great thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

heldel00 wrote: »
    Bought two avacados yesterday and ended up just binning them. As someone has posted already it's very hard to get any decent ones that wouldn't end up giving you a woeful pain in your guh'

Most avocados you buy aren't actually ripe yet. You need to allow for a few days. They're just right when they give to touch a bit. But don't wait to long or they start getting brown. And don't squeeze them too much either. You'll get the hang of it. For a good guacomole it is essential that the avocado is just right.

You can accelerate the ripening if you store them alongside a banana. No idea why but it works.

I love guacamole, here is my recipe.
    2 ripe avocados, 1 clove of garlic, half an onion, 1 tomato, 1 small medium hot chilli, dash of lime or lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of coriander, salt and pepper each, 1 dash of olive oil. Blend. Let it rest in the fridge for a short while.

Mmmmmhh. With the standard blue bag doritos its a food for the gods.

I love it most with what I got to know as Nachos Tijuana.
    You fry small strips of chicken breast until golden. You layer them with doritos and mozzarella on a plate, like base of doritos, then some chicken then some cheese, then some doritos, then some chicken, then some cheese. Microwave for just under 2 minutes and serve with above guacamole and sour cream for dipping. Its just awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I know a man from Brussels, big lad, loves the stuff altogether!

6ft 4 and full of muscles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Deub

Beef cheek is sooo tender. Slowly cooked with carrots and potatoes, it is heaven.

For this meat, I know some people don't eat it because they consider it as a pet and I completely respect that. But horse meat is really tasty. I often eat the steak but once in a while I have a roast. It has to be still red in the middle after it is cooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Fish, I am still shocked at some peoples reactions to being offered it for dinner. I especially love lobster and raw oysters.

Fois gras, my french mother in laws is absolutely devine.

Veal, again for a country known for beef you have to search long and hard to source it.

Reisen, yes they have disappeared from the shelves. This used to be my sneaky treat if I got nailed to do the weekly shop. Your jaw would hurt after eating a few, man sweets!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Heroditas wrote: »
    6ft 4 and full of muscles?

That's him , only speaks Flemish though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Scotch eggs.

Great platter type food but you won't get it here outside of the odd pack in Tesco.

Go up north and you can get them easily, with loads of different flavours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

sugarman wrote: »
    What's with all the love for bacon & cabbage?!? It sounds like a meal you'd have during the famine.

Don't get me wrong, I love ham.. And I do eat cabbage but it would go with roast chicken, carrots, peas, mash/roast potatoes.. Etc..

Bacon and cabbage is lovely.

Boil the bacon, take out ( I like to finish it in the oven with a little glaze for a few minutes) and then boil your cabbage in the bacon water.

Serve it with mashed spuds and some parsley sauce or mustard sauce.

It's proper comfort food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Scotch eggs.

Great platter type food but you won't get it here outside of the odd pack in Tesco.

Go up north and you can get them easily, with loads of different flavours.

Yep scotch eggs for me too. Love them. M&S have a fancy one that has a soft yolk. Gorgeous.

Also love pork pies. Must be the uncured grey meat [Melton Mowbray style].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Mulligans in Stoneybatter (Dublin) do a nice Scotch egg for a starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Cockles, with malt vinegar and white pepper

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Biltong. mmmmmmmm.

Advertisement