Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Had a nice chat on twitter with Patrik Bergers son. Really nice lad, playing for Slavia Praha. Mad Red

@bergyan7

Ohhh, football friend!

41783_178314033841_6481078_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ah newsnow always delivers

We’re Not Panini Sticker Album Team – Lazio President Crushes Mario Balotelli... Inside Futbol 21:51
    Lazio chief refusing to rule out Liverpool star’s arrival AstralFootball 21:49

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

rarnes1 wrote: »
    €10m is a terrible fee.

Disgrace if he is allowed to leave the club. He's one of the main reasons for our upturn.

If this happens it'll annoy more than any other transfer the past few years

Couldn't agree more. He's been the main man in our revival. If he's sold we'll be no more than the easy sluts of the transfer market. We're practically ignored when we're in need of a player but put out and sell willingly whenever any of our players start turning heads. Torres, Suarez, Alonso, Mashcerano. I've seen too many excellent Liverpool players leave without having to watch Lucas go given his current form. Fair enough if it's condidered in Summer but ffs if we can't hold on to him for the few months we try and secure a cup or top 4 then I'll be rather upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Knex. wrote: »
    Ohhh, football friend!

41783_178314033841_6481078_n.jpg

you knows it.

Look I know you get hit for tickets Patrik but..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

So rodgers has come out and said he wants to keep johnson on and is pushing for a new deal.

Week ruined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭GBX

klose wrote: »
    So rodgers has come out and said he wants to keep johnson on and is pushing for a new deal.

Week ruined.

Hopefully its reverse psychology for the other defenders to get their asses in gear and keep him out of the team !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Week ruined.

Might aswell just go full retard and increase his wages while he's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Week ruined.

Glens reaction

https://vine.co/v/O1m9H5ZEeHX

My reaction

gil-head-explode-again.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Johnson signs new contract for less money, gets no game time; sold in the summer for a couple of million.

Everyone is a winner. Except for Johnson. Ehh and the team that signs him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

brevity wrote: »

This makes me love him even more than his little skip when we score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

rossc007 wrote: »
    Well Jose is the worst offender, but when you are as successful as him no one cares what you say.

Exactly and now LFC are on a run so the manager can say what he likes when he wants. I don't get why people take what a manager says as gospel anyways.
    I do like the fact that BR never really seems to speak bad of the players even the ones he isn't going to play or is looking to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

For some reason he reminds me of Rory Mcdonald (ufc fighter) in that vine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Hendo - Love the lad. I'd say stuff like this is part of the reason he was made VC

B7_PydHIYAE_Vd8.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Knex. wrote: »
    If he stays injured, he might as well never have gotten one!

class....very long though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Week ruined.

Where did he say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Illarramendi linked, lucas replacement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Good player, but maybe more of a Gerrard stand in than a Lucas replacement. Not sure about him as a DM. Neither are Real it seems as they didn't use him there when they were struggling in DM last year in the run in.

If we were losing Gerrard and Allen in the summer he'd be a very good option to have though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Will Gerard be gone or will there be a Lampard kind of situation where he could stay till January

sword1 wrote: »
    Will Gerard be gone or will there be a Lampard kind of situation where he could stay till January

Gone in July.

Could end coming back on loan next winter, who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Raheem Sterling is close to penning a new long-term deal but there are other contract issues which need to be addressed.

Getting quite worried about this. It's been "close" for a long time, why isn't it done yet?!

Also frustrating the way the club has clearly leaked (at least twice), stories saying the deal with Sterling is "close" and will be signed the following week - the last time being after the Gerrard news. Obviously trying to generate positive news stories.

Our lack of business in Jan so far is very concerning - if we are serious about trying to achieve top 4 this season we need reinforcements. The dogs on the street can see it.

No new goalie? No backup for Sturridge? Are they planning for the collossal change that will be the departure of Gerrard from that dressing room? People will accuse me of being overly negative, but the above is very concerning.

I just hope our recent run hasn't convinced Rodgers/FSG that there isn't serious work needed. We've been up against largely poor teams including some lower division sides which has helped us build this momentum.

Lets not forget we still blew a two goal lead against the worst team in the league in the last few weeks. Granted our performance against Chelsea was excellent, but we still didn't win & Chelsea would likely have taken a draw before the game. We need to keep up that level of performance & get more clinical.

Still a long way to go imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,116 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

We all dream of a team of Emre Cans, a team of Emre Cans, a team of Emre Cans.....

Has a ring to it. Must be a think with wearing number 23 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I know it's just one little stare, but would the Henderson of 2/3 years ago have done that? I think it's a mark of the player he's become.

That was one of the major changes he had to make in his game and he's made it.

I see similar in Markovic as to what I saw in Henderson at his age. A physical and mental frailty, a timidness and a little bit of fear, perhaps being overwhelmed by the intensity and immensity of the matches and opposition players he faces.

Markovic is already improving game by game but I think he will need to make a similar step up mentally and physically like Henderson has to really make it as a key player at this club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Anyone know if the runners up in the Europa Cup would get the CL place if the winners have already got a place in through their league?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Anyone know if the runners up in the Europa Cup would get the CL place if the winners have already got a place in through their league?

They would not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Good player, but maybe more of a Gerrard stand in than a Lucas replacement. Not sure about him as a DM. Neither are Real it seems as they didn't use him there when they were struggling in DM last year in the run in.

If we were losing Gerrard and Allen in the summer he'd be a very good option to have though.

Not sure. Stats paint a compelling picture. Wouldn't be the first time we find a star that is underrated in current setup or deployed incorrectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Getting quite worried about this. It's been "close" for a long time, why isn't it done yet?!

Also frustrating the way the club has clearly leaked (at least twice), stories saying the deal with Sterling is "close" and will be signed the following week - the last time being after the Gerrard news. Obviously trying to generate positive news stories.

Our lack of business in Jan so far is very concerning - if we are serious about trying to achieve top 4 this season we need reinforcements. The dogs on the street can see it.

No new goalie? No backup for Sturridge? Are they planning for the collossal change that will be the departure of Gerrard from that dressing room? People will accuse me of being overly negative, but the above is very concerning.

I just hope our recent run hasn't convinced Rodgers/FSG that there isn't serious work needed. We've been up against largely poor teams including some lower division sides which has helped us build this momentum.

Lets not forget we still blew a two goal lead against the worst team in the league in the last few weeks. Granted our performance against Chelsea was excellent, but we still didn't win & Chelsea would likely have taken a draw before the game. We need to keep up that level of performance & get more clinical.

Still a long way to go imo.

Leicester have won 3 of their last five matches and only lost 1 and they are 12th on form for the last 6 matches.
    So they be bottom but they have been playing well and wouldn't be the worst team in the league the last few weeks.

I'm not worried Sterling won't sign but I would agree with everything else you have said there.

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Leicester have won 3 of their last five matches and only lost 1 and they are 12th on form for the last 6 matches.
    So they be bottom but they have been playing well and wouldn't be the worst team in the league the last few weeks.

I'm not worried Sterling won't sign but I would agree with everything else you have said there.

Still no excuse for losing a 2 goal lead at home against them, no matter how fortuitous the 2 goal lead was. We deserved to lose that game in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

It doesn't look like there will be much business done by most of the teams this transfer window. No matter how much each team needs to improve - we are no different. Positive signs that we are bedding in the new players if we can turn around Lovren like we did with Lazar and Can it would be as good as signing someone new in those positions.

I get the feeling that we are stuck with Borini/Lambert/Ballo so unless one or those leaves we will have to make do with them as cover to Sturridge. Its highly unlikely that we'll get someone of the quality of Sturridge in this window. We'll have to suck it up.

As for the keeper situation, this one i have less sympathy towards Brendan as he was stupid in his treatment of the dropping situation. Probably a little easier to get in a replacement for that scenario in Jan so lets hope we manage that one.

Before the Arsenal game we were suggesting that Brendan was maybe 1-2 results from being out of a job, we have been unbeaten in 10 games and i don't care if that's against all the bottom teams it is still a massive improvement in what we were like before that and this was shown for the 90 mins against Chelsea. We should be happy how it is going without Sturridge in the side instead of nit picking.

We won't be signing anyone this window, at least not anyone for our first XI anyhow. I think that's fairly clear by now.

5starpool wrote: »
    We won't be signing anyone this window, at least not anyone for our first XI anyhow. I think that's fairly clear by now.

Which is ****ing awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Which is ****ing awful.

Do you trust Rodgers with the money though, if it were available?

SlickRic wrote: »
    Do you trust Rodgers with the money though, if it were available?

Probably not tbh, but whether I trust him with it is a moot point.

If FSG don't trust him, they have to sack him. If they do trust him (which presumably they do), then they have to back him.

No activity in this window would be us giving up on 4th and/or us gambling on Sturridge coming back firing straight away and staying fit. In other words, idiocy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If FSG don't trust him, they have to sack him. If they do trust him (which presumably they do), then they have to back him.

and this is the quandary we're in right now.

i believe Rodgers is generally an excellent coach, and tactically is very aware (yes, I know he seems to have a blind spot for defensive coaching), but it's his ability in the transfer market that will ultimately have him succeed of fail in the job.

and I agree, it's ridiculous if we don't bring in players this window, given how obvious the need is to anyone with half a brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

FSG need to buy players for their business, not just the manager in charge though. Regardless of the long terms plans with regards to Rodgers, or anyone else they may want to run the Club, its plain as day that we need to invest in this team right now.

Queue another "galvanising" quote come February.

Which is ****ing awful.

It's dangerous for sure. I assume it's because FSG have essentially made no money available, and given the amount spent in the summer I can't really blame them with potential FFP problems in the offing, although I would be surprised if we were in trouble there really.

I think there is a wait and see policy on available funds depending on where we finish this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

5starpool wrote: »
    It's dangerous for sure. I assume it's because FSG have essentially made no money available, and given the amount spent in the summer I can't really blame them with potential FFP problems in the offing, although I would be surprised if we were in trouble there really.

I think there is a wait and see policy on available funds depending on where we finish this season.

Our net spend wasn't huge in the summer though, so I'd be worried if we aren't in compliance with FFP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No activity in this window would be us giving up on 4th and/or us gambling on Sturridge coming back firing straight away and staying fit. In other words, idiocy.

This time last year people said not signing anyone had thrown away any chance of a CL spot and look what happened. #justsaying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How long will it take the players we buy in the summer to bed in because we will need probably a miminun of 4 new players in the summer.

A goalkeeper, A Defensive midfielder, A midfielder & A Striker these 4 would need to be first team starters not squad players.

murpho999 wrote: »
    This time last year people said not signing anyone had thrown away any chance of a CL spot and look what happened. #justsaying

It ended up costing us the league title? :confused:

A little bit more quality might have been the difference last season.

If you're not moving forward, you're moving backwards. That's true of most things in life & is especially true of football.

How long will it take the players we buy in the summer to bed in because we will need probably a miminun of 4 new players in the summer.

A goalkeeper, A Defensive midfielder, A midfielder & A Striker these 4 would need to be first team starters not squad players.

And then we're into even more "transition".......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

I think we as fans just need to relax for once and let the signings from the summers continue to progress as we're finally seeing signs of why they were signed in the first place. Displacing the squad again at this point might not be a good idea if the summer is anything to go by. Players take a while to settle in a majority of the time.

Yes we do need a keeper but I think we'll manage until the summer. Yes we could do with a replacement/backup/2nd striker but I honestly think we'll see a much different Mario up front with Sturridge. That Spurs game earlier in the year was so promising and unfortunately we haven't been able to see that again because of injury. We're not where we wanted to be but we're not in an awful spot. I for one think this season can be salvaged and everyone just needs to stay positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

It ended up costing us the league title? :confused:

A little bit more quality might have been the difference last season.

If you're not moving forward, you're moving backwards. That's true of most things in life & is especially true of football.

Considering the run that Liverpool went on this is far from correct. An almost flawless record in the last 14 games would be difficult to improve upon by the purchase of one player (Knoplyanka/Salah being the men suggested). A mistake from Toure and a defensive masterclass from a slightly depleted Chelsea side were the difference.

As for the notion that if FSG trust the manager they should back him. FSG are a business - they already backed the manager in the Summer. They don't break the bank to get players. They expect the team to finish 4th. Why would you give up on 4th if Liverpool don't buy a player in this window. What is available - a number 1 keeper? a number 2 DM? a number 2 Striker?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Considering the run that Liverpool went on this is far from correct. An almost flawless record in the last 14 games would be difficult to improve upon by the purchase of one player (Knoplyanka/Salah being the men suggested). A mistake from Toure and a defensive masterclass from a slightly depleted Chelsea side were the difference.

As for the notion that if FSG trust the manager they should back him. FSG are a business - they already backed the manager in the Summer. They don't break the bank to get players. They expect the team to finish 4th. Why would you give up on 4th if Liverpool don't buy a player in this window. What is available - a number 1 keeper? a number 2 DM? a number 2 Striker?

Bit unfair singling out one player as being the difference as to why we didnt win the league last year. There were a sh*t load of mistakes made by the team over the course of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why? What's wrong with Hendo, Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling, Can? who are all best when operating ahead of a DM.

Getting hyped up over the lack of transfer activity in this window is neither here nor there - even if a player or two were brought in, who's to say they won't need time to settle in (I remember Vidic and Evra arriving at United in the January window and looking lost).

The question is whether Rodgers can get this team into 4th based on the players currently at his disposal. The defence has been shored up incredibly well. The WB situation is slightly unbalanced (I'm more confident of Markovic than I am of Moreno). Lucas has been excellent since his return and Henderson is really growing into his responsibilities.

Up top there is genuine hope that Sturridge will return, but in any event the attacking displays in the last 10 games have been more consistent and intense. The depth of the squad is the only issue - with Rodgers only having trust in Lallana to come from the bench on Tuesday night. I for one don't want the club to get a squad player to fill the gaps on the bench and don't believe that there is a first XI player out there this window.

As for the Cups v League debate: Rodgers needs to find a balance. He is one game away from a LC final. It would be foolish not to go for this opportunity. However, the EL and the FAC are slightly more difficult to predict. I would argue that 4th is a more achievable aim than winning the EL. I would also argue that with no Top4 team yet out of the cup and favourable draws all round the FAC will just become too difficult to win with little reward for the effort.

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Bit unfair singling out one player as being the difference as to why we didnt win the league last year. There were a sh*t load of mistakes made by the team over the course of the season.

Not blaming Toure at all...sorry for the confusion. I personally blame the refusal to accept a draw against Chelsea as the reason the league was lost. My point was that the run in was almost perfect and unlikely that a transfer window signing could have improved on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement