Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Our net spend wasn't huge in the summer though, so I'd be worried if we aren't in compliance with FFP

Was the Suarez fee a lump sum or an installment based fee? I don't remember reading either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mr Alan wrote: »
    It ended up costing us the league title? :confused:

A little bit more quality might have been the difference last season.

If you're not moving forward, you're moving backwards. That's true of most things in life & is especially true of football.

There is no way you can prove that a signing last year would have won the title.
    Chelsea and Palace were the only slip ups. One could argue that form before the transfer window cost us the title too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Why? What's wrong with Hendo, Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling, Can? who are all best when operating ahead of a DM.

I'd like another box to box midfielder which Can (can) be then we would need to get another CB instead of a midfielder.

Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling aren't really the type of midfielders we are short of.

Allen in the 3 seasons he has been here really hasn't done anything of note and will probabaly be shipped out in the summer.

It would be nice to have 2 real box to box midfielders with 2 DM's to pick from for a starting place every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I'd like another box to box midfielder which Can (can)

can-can_r3-11.jpg

Fun but not much use in a footbal match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Have to say, even going on physicality alone, I'd love to see a player like Song or M'Vila come in for Allen

Too many times he's done really well coming off the bench, provided pressing, nicking the ball back etc. only to start the next game and be anonymous.

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »
    Have to say, even going on physicality alone, I'd love to see a player like Song or M'Vila come in for Allen

Too many times he's done really well coming off the bench, provided pressing, nicking the ball back etc. only to start the next game and be anonymous.

Completly agree ,While Lucas form has been good recently ,previous 18 months he has struggled to be effective >60 mins in games.
    I think 2 games a week will stretch him too far

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30941786

Out of contract in the summer ,matches our plan to sign their entire team

Cheeky 1-2 m bid ,could be decent cover and would be ~=Allen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Ill carve out my eyeballs if we let Lucas go to Inter. Not only do we need him badly, Id have no faith in us replacing him and we'd never ever get the full whack for him either. Just a big fat no, on so many levels.

Could only imagine Inter as well. "Yeah 10m. So we'll give you a tenner now to take him on loan for the year first, we'll give you a score at christmas to tie you over for a bit, then when the loan is up we might pay the rest. But we probably wont so don't hold us to that just yet."

That being said we absolutely mugged them for Coutinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Club said there would be little or no movement this transfer window. I'm guessing what they mean by that is that there will be little or no movement this transfer window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Eh yep, but nobody thought we'd a hope of the title this time last year, so it kind of proves his point.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

murpho999 wrote: »
    There is no way you can prove that a signing last year would have won the title.
    Chelsea and Palace were the only slip ups. One could argue that form before the transfer window cost us the title too.

I'd say the Henderson red card was a big deal, obviously we can't go back in our time machine but, we'd so few options in CM he was a big, big loss because of lack of quality alternatives.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Our net spend wasn't huge in the summer though, so I'd be worried if we aren't in compliance with FFP

It's not just last summer, it's the last 3 years. Our losses easily exceed the FFP threshold but I think a lot of that was debt writedown from H&G's failed stadium crap, so when that and spending on the underage setup is factored in I am fairly confident we will be OK, but the fact that we are one of not that many clubs named as being investigated it's still a bit worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If you're not moving forward, you're moving backwards. That's true of most things in life & is especially true of football.

We won 12 of the last 14. We couldn't beat Chelsea that's how we lost the league. Its rubbish saying we didn't have enough quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

My point was simply that people saying we were right to do no business last January are ignoring the fact there was still room for improvement in the second half of last season. A little bit of quality might have been the difference. Imagine we didn't have to have Toure in the side, we had a better replacement for Henderson when he got suspended, we had a little more defensive solidity against Crystal Palace or Chelsea, a little bit more creativity against Chelsea....it might have been the difference.

I know people like to argue with me about anything, but surely no one would be arrogant enough to state catagorically that what I'm saying doesn't have merit?

I am not for a second saying that what I've said is definitely true - but it's as true as anyone saying that we were proven right to do no business last year.

rob316 wrote: »
    We won 12 of the last 14. We couldn't beat Chelsea that's how we lost the league. Its rubbish saying we didn't have enough quality.

Read your own post for crying out loud :rolleyes: Then answer me one question, if we had more quality available to us is it possible we could have beaten Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm a fan of Allen, but he hasn't progressed like I had hoped, tbh. Be that because of injuries, or he hit his natural peak, I don't know.

Would not be upset to see him moved on and a replacement of a different ilk brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Very true. Also, had a player or two been brought in it might have upset the way we played last season and might not have had such a good run late in the season, no one knows. Saying more players in means we would have won the title is just ridiculous.

Ya, in fairness Alan, it's ridiculous to say that we didn't win the league last year because we didn't sign anyone in January. It's far more plausible that we might have dropped more points because of the disruption even, and weirdly you might have been happier if we had finished a comfortable 4th saying we only got it because we signed XYZ in January.

Very true. Also, had a player or two been brought in it might have upset the way we played last season and might not have had such a good run late in the season, no one knows. Saying more players in means we would have won the title is just ridiculous.

That's not what I'm saying though.

I'm saying it "might" have won us the title.

Similar to how you're saying it "might" have upset the whole team.

They're both possible outcomes of us going in the market last Jan.

Read your own post for crying out loud :rolleyes: Then answer me one question, if we had more quality available to us is it possible we could have beaten Chelsea?

Like who? We had the two best strikers in the league backed up with Henderson, Gerrard, Sterling and Coutinho in midfield.

We lost the league when we lost to Chelsea, Rodgers diamond formation was too narrow too break down 2 banks of 4 Chelsea players. Tuesday night was the formation we should of played then, we tore them apart but lacked a goalscorer.

Manager got that game badly wrong, I said it straight after the final whistle.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    Ya, in fairness Alan, it's ridiculous to say that we didn't win the league last year because we didn't sign anyone in January.

I haven't said that though :confused:
    5starpool wrote:
    It's far more plausible that we might have dropped more points because of the disruption even.

What are you basing that on out of curiousity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i agree we need players.

but more players was not even close to the reason we didn't win the league last season.

the Chelsea and Crystal Palace games did the damage. The rest of our form was flawless really. I don't think extra players would've made a jot of difference in those specific games.

Palace, especially. that was down to disorganisation and an inability to batten down the hatches. there is nothing "another player" would've done to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Your point is impossible to prove or disprove.
    If Gerrard hadn't slipped we could have drawn the game which was all that was needed.
    The form in the run in was incredible and winning 12 out of 14 was not expected beforehand and many here argued that the squad and Rodger's was not capable of,so you cannot prove now that they won't get top 4 now without signings.
    Quality signings are of course always welcome but you cannot prove that ether would have made the difference.

Like who? We had the two best strikers in the league backed up with Henderson, Gerrard, Sterling and Coutinho in midfield.

We lost the league when we lost to Chelsea, Rodgers diamond formation was too narrow too break down 2 banks of 4 Chelsea players. Tuesday night was the formation we should of played then, we tore them apart but lacked a goalscorer.

Manager got that game badly wrong, I said it straight after the final whistle.

The longwinded post above doesn't answer my question.

Is it possible that if we had more quality to available to us we could have beaten Chelsea that day? Yes or no please

Your point is impossible to prove or disprove

As was the point that I was responding to (ie. us doing no business in the market this window might be the correct thing because we did really well after the transfer window last season-despite not buying any players)

Yet no one took exception to that point because it was essentially defending Liverpool not being active in the transfer market this window.

Strange behaviour.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Palace, especially. that was down to disorganisation and an inability to batten down the hatches. there is nothing "another player" would've done to help.

You don't think it's possible that if we had a Carragher or a better organiser at the back that it might have made the difference against Crystal Palace? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mr Alan you are once again forgetting FFP. We would have to sell to buy I think since we are currentley being investigated.
    Even Chelsea have to sell someone before they can get Cuadrado.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Mr Alan you are once again forgetting FFP. We would have to sell to buy I think since we are currentley being investigated.
    Even Chelsea have to sell someone before they can get Cuadrado.

I'm presuming the club is maintaining that we're not in breach of FFP, in which case surely we don't have to sell to buy? :confused:

It should also be noted that after adopting a specific transfer strategy so that we would be able to comply & be competitive when FFP kicks in, and after all parties at the club being so vocal about it & how it was so important etc etc....if after that, we're actually in breach of FFP, it's a sacking offence for all parties concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm presuming the club is maintaining that we're not in breach of FFP, in which case surely we don't have to sell to buy? :confused:

It should also be noted that after adopting a specific transfer strategy so that we would be able to comply & be competitive when FFP kicks in, and after all parties at the club being so vocal about it & how it was so important etc etc....if after that, we're actually in breach of FFP, it's a sacking offence for all parties concerned.

Basically every club bar Man Utd is sailing close to the wind with FFP right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Uefa will determine if we are or not in breach of FFP. The club would obviously maintain that we are not in breach lol. January is a month which would it be very difficult to buy top class players.

Is it possible that if we had more quality to available to us we could have beaten Chelsea that day? Yes or no please

Apologies Lord Alan my post isn't what you wanted but I answered it. We lost to Chelsea because of the managers tactics not about a lack of quality. Rodgers came up against a better manager that day, combined with Gerrard's slip it was too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

We didn't necessarily need to beat Chelsea that day. I think setting up to win the game as you suggest is the reason we lost, regardless of the player quality I think the gameplan was at fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

8-10 wrote: »
    We didn't necessarily need to beat Chelsea that day. I think setting up to win the game as you suggest is the reason we lost, regardless of the player quality I think the gameplan was at fault.

I'm glad someone pointed out that we didn't need to beat Chelsea.

A draw would of kept us going but we still might of slipped in the remaining two games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

It's a pity some chose to criticise the team for not winning the title rather than acknowledge how much of an achievement it was to even be in contention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

You don't think it's possible that if we had a Carragher or a better organiser at the back that it might have made the difference against Crystal Palace? :confused:

who is to say if we had Carragher, we'd have been as fluid from the back in order to score the goals we needed to get into the position we were in?

it's just a bunch of hypotheticals.

i can't disprove your theory, so it's pointless carrying this on.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    who is to say if we had Carragher, we'd have been as fluid from the back in order to score the goals we needed to get into the position we were in?

it's just a bunch of hypotheticals.

i can't disprove your theory, so it's pointless carrying this on.

Exactly pointless to carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Alan's point isn't that unreasonable, and after the Chelsea result I mentioned at the time that not strengthening in January was a mistake.

If we had brought in someone to cover for Henderson, even someone like Erickson, it would have definitely given us a better chance of winning the league. People were cross that we didn't strengthen in January.

Unfortunately tactics and and bad luck ****ed us, had we been better prepared who knows what would have happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

If we had Messi instead of Moses, our chances would have been better.

If my Aunt had balls etc. etc.

Apologies Lord Alan my post isn't what you wanted but I answered it.

So you find the need to insult the poster.

Very mature

So you find the need to insult the poster.

Very mature

Felt the need to insult my post...how very mature. Called it "long winded", clearly wasn't up to his standard.

Alan's arrogant posting style rubs me and others the wrong way sometimes, I have the right to respond and defend my post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mr Alan, basically

th?id=HN.607995197194243494&pid=1.7

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Chelsea brought on £100m worth of talent in substitutes that day (Cahill, Torres and Willian), we brought on a not 100% Sturridge and Iago bloody Aspas. Who knows if more quality would have made a difference but any team that resorts to Aspas to save them is not gonna be saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

This time last year people said not signing anyone had thrown away any chance of a CL spot and look what happened. #justsaying

5starpool wrote: »
    Ya, in fairness Alan, it's ridiculous to say that we didn't win the league last year because we didn't sign anyone in January. It's far more plausible that we might have dropped more points because of the disruption even, and weirdly you might have been happier if we had finished a comfortable 4th saying we only got it because we signed XYZ in January.

I haven't said that though :confused:

What are you basing that on out of curiousity?

I think this is what he is talking about where it looks as though you have said it cost us the league title but it may just be the way its written.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Not buying anyone is how we got so close to winning the league.

We were galvanised!

Posted this a few weeks back explaining our FFP situation

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/09/liverpool-fc-breach-uefa-financial-fair-play-rules/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

rarnes1 wrote: »

Is there any indication as to when we might know what is the outcome of the claims we were in breach of FFP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

tok9 wrote: »
    Not buying anyone is how we got so close to winning the league.

We were galvanised!

We also showed a lot of character.

rarnes1 wrote: »

I'm sure it's fine as I said, but until UEFA confirm it I'll be a bit nervous, although chances are it won't affect us that much anyhow even if we are punished. Man City I think were restricted to 'only' 35m net spend or something weren't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Rodgers teams have always seemed to have bad defences.

11/12 with Swansea - 41 goals Conceded

12/13 - 43 goals Conceded

13/14 - 50 goals Conceded

14/15 - 27 goals. Based on this we are expected to concede 46 goals.

Felt the need to insult my post...how very mature. Called it "long winded", clearly wasn't up to his standard.

Alan's arrogant posting style rubs me and others the wrong way sometimes, I have the right to respond and defend my post.

Now remember that original advice you gave me yesterday about talksport?

Well maybe you should take you're own advice and don't read what that poster posts if his style rubs you up the wrong way so much.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement