Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

martyos121 wrote: »
    9 times out of 10 we would have won that game 1-0 with Borini's chance, but goalkeepers always go out of their to **** us over. That was some save and made the difference in the end.

It was a poor finish. Perfect height for a keeper.

I thought this was the type of game Lambert was brought into the club for when plan b was needed.

Exactly.

Bolton were coping with plan A very well. We needed something different.

Could be worse, could be out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

There's no real point going to plan b if it's worse than plan a.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

For god sake fsg just go out and buy a striker never mind any other position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Meh. Played alright just lacking the killer instinct up front again which is still an obvious worry. Our defence looks solid now though.

That was a game for lambert to come in and play a part. Plan A with speed and movement didn't work at all Bolton knew how to deal with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

9 times out of 10 we would have won that game 1-0 with Borini's chance, but goalkeepers always go out of their to **** us over. That was some save and made the difference in the end.

It was more the chances that were on target were right at the keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Turtyturd wrote: »
    There's no real point going to plan b if it's worse than plan a.

They kind of switched to plan b as the second half wore on anyways.
    Bolton were camped in their own box for the last twenty minutes so naturally crosses were going to come in and I'd rather see Lambert in the box trying to get on the end of crosses more than Borini or Lallana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Could be worse, could be out
    I would prefer to be out to be honest. Top 4 should be priority. Europa League next. The Rumbelows Cup or whatever they call this bastardized incarnation of a cup competition is right up there with the FIFA Club Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sturridge ready for the West Ham game.

I would prefer to be out to be honest. Top 4 should be priority. Europa League next. The Rumbelows Cup or whatever they call this bastardized incarnation of a cup competition is right up there with the FIFA Club Championship.

Couldn't disagree more.

Trophy is paramount for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Rodgers says Sturridge will definitely be back and ready for West Ham, starts training with the team tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Rodgers says Sturridge will definitely be back and ready for West Ham, starts training with the team tomorrow.

That was always the target game

I wouldn't hold me breath

The last 2 times he started training he broke down.

On the bench Tuesday night hopefully if its anything like last Tuesday he can be the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Not the perfect result but we are still in the competition unlike other big names.

We need fire power upfront and need Sturridge back. Buying a quality striker that is required as not as easy as people here think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Must be odds on to win this trophy now. Only one good team left in the competition apart from us, and United are still in it too.

4/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Vicxas wrote: »
    Will BBC have the highlights tonight?

Yea 10:20 ish

brevity wrote: »

Ship him out to fcuk.

Why he was bought is beyond me.

Could have used the money for a keeper

Just sell him so cut our losses and move on. I think, well hoping we buy a striker in this window but unfortunately I feel it will be at the expense of Lucas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

murpho999 wrote: »
    Not the perfect result but we are still in the competition unlike other big names.

We need fire power upfront and need Sturridge back. Buying a quality striker that is required as not as easy as people here think.

Exactly. Lacazette is pretty much the only name being mentioned and he is simply not attainable in January. There aren't many obvious solutions especially given that the fans want experience and pedigree in any future signings

rob316 wrote: »
    Just sell him so cut our losses and move on. I think, well hoping we buy a striker in this window but unfortunately I feel it will be at the expense of Lucas.

Lucas wont be going anywhere if Rodgers enjoys his job

Exactly. Lacazette is pretty much the only name being mentioned and he is simply not attainable in January. There aren't many obvious solutions especially given that the fans want experience and pedigree in any future signings

Lacazette is going anywhere this window and we probably could afford him in the summer unless we have CL money.

Alcacer at Valencia would be an good target this window instead I think.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Ship him out to fcuk.

Why he was bought is beyond me.

Could have used the money for a keeper

That!

;)

Lacazette is going anywhere this window and we probably could afford him in the summer unless we have CL money.

Alcacer at Valencia would be an good target this window instead I think.

Hardly the established name needed to push us towards a top 4 finish though. His goals record in the league is not top drawer.

Hardly the established name needed to push us towards a top 4 finish though. His goals record in the league is not top drawer.

We are not going to get an established top drawer striker in January it's that simple.

Alcacer is a player who would suit the style of play the manager wants and wouldn't be out of our price range in January you would hope unless FFP really is that bad.

We are not going to get a top drawer striker in January it's that simple.

Alcacer is a player who would suit the style of play the manager wants and wouldn't be out of our price range in January you would hope unless FFP really is that bad.

Hopefully Origi will fit that bill for next season.

If we then sell Borini and Balotelli and replace them with one suitable striker we would be doing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Except for Ricky lambert who gets a free pass as he's from Kirkby.

Sick of Rodgers playing politics with the club, withers my sack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

klose wrote: »

Yes and let's not forget it's Rodgers who gave the ok to sign Balotelli and Lambert. Did he think they were fast, mobile pressing strikers before he signed them or has that just dawned on him in the last few months? Guy contradicts himself on a regular basis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

klose wrote: »

That's unfair on Lambert, he actually puts in an effort unlike Balo however limited he is as a player.

Rodgers is dead right in what he said

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

donfers wrote: »
    Yes and let's not forget it's Rodgers who gave the ok to sign Balotelli and Lambert. Did he think they were fast, mobile pressing strikers before he signed them or has that just dawned on him in the last few months? Guy contradicts himself on a regular basis

Really? For some reason I thought Mario was forced on him?

(poor choice of words I know :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

the kelt wrote: »
    That's unfair on Lambert, he actually puts in an effort unlike Balo however limited he is as a player.

Rodgers is dead right in what he said

I posted a long time ago about BR and his political statements Bull ****. Here we go again, right or wrong Mario presses as much now ashe ever did, so where is BRs surprise coming from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Balotelli will probably be gone by the end of the month. I think Lambert will move on in the summer too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

donfers wrote: »

Was it not a case of Balotelli or nothing? Think he gave the go a head because he thought that it could work.

As for Lambert, well the price was very low and he was just for backup/different option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Luis Suarez unused sub for Barca!

• Advertisement

I'd say there is tension between Rodgers and the other Committee members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Cheeky 40 million and a pound bid for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Was it not a case of Balotelli or nothing? Think he gave the go a head because he thought that it could work.

As for Lambert, well the price was very low and he was just for backup/different option.

That's it. That's the problem, balo was as good as the club could get by all accounts.

He either works hard enough to deserve a place or he doesn't, seems fair enough to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,678 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Watched a bit of barca's copa match and luis did mot look a happy camper , very frustrated and much like his time at pool when the media were demonising him
    Didnt see the whole game though !

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Lambert was really ment for those games where pressing isn't such a bit deal.
    Where the team is camped in the others half but not getting through, ability to challenge in the air and provide layoffs. It's not his fault he has had to fill in for mobile strikers in the plan A system, so yes, I think he should get a pass.

• Advertisement

He'll be doing well to be there next season, standards are high. Sanchez wasn't good enough for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

djPSB wrote: »
    He'll be doing well to be there next season, standards are high. Sanchez wasn't good enough for them.

He is on a completely different level to Sanchez in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Lambert may not be the greatest striker we've ever had but at least he scores the odd goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

What did we learn? What got reinforced?

We should've bought a striker in the summer, duh!

Sakho and Can are beastly. They need to be the cornerstone of our defensive strategy for the forseeable future.

Allen will never be more than 6/10.

Sterling needs to play central. He's wasted out wide. He also still has a lot to learn in terms of finishing and general decision making around the penalty area.

Enrique is pants. He's concentrated more on his physique than his football.

Markovic has all the potential in the world.

Borini is just never going to be quite good enough. He doesn't have the instinct needed.

It's just such a pity that we couldn't do at least one piece of outstanding business in the summer in order to back up/support Sturridge. It could be seen at the end of the season as a real missed opportunity. We'd have won that game tonight comfortably with a competent striker.

niallo27 wrote: »
    He is on a completely different level to Sanchez in fairness.

Form of last two seasons for sure.

But Suarez record this season won't be good enough to stay there long term.

Sanchez scored 19 League goals last season, Suarez has only 2 to date.

Put this together on Sturridge and Balotelli.

4KxMpd.png
    6rxYLg.png
    4JyGY5.png

Its from last season and obviously from different leagues but I think it might dispel this idea that Balotelli is a lazy player. There are a few other defensive stats that Balotelli comes out on top over Sturridge.

Now, there are some...eh..other circumstances to consider. We were a very different beast last year...probably a lot more attacking than Milan and in a league thats quite different from ours. Milan didn't have a great season and could be argued that are in a bit of a rut. Still, Balotelli was able to play a defensive part and he has some stats that shouldn't be ignored.

Rodgers seems content to play politics and bang the Balotelli is a lazy player drum when it isn't true. He is well able to press and work hard.

Rodgers should shut up and stop being a pr!ck because, imo, that exactly the way he is acting.

EDIT: Few more here

7q45Td.png

4KxMpd.png
    6rxYLg.png
    4JyGY5.png

Its from last season and obviously from different leagues but I think it might dispel this idea that Balotelli is a lazy player. There are a few other defensive stats that Balotelli comes out on top over Sturridge.

Now, there are some...eh..other circumstances to consider. We were a very different beast last year...probably a lot more attacking than Milan and in a league thats quite different from ours. Milan didn't have a great season and could be argued that are in a bit of a rut. Still, Balotelli was able to play a defensive part and he has some stats that shouldn't be ignored.

Rodgers seems content to play politics and bang the Balotelli is a lazy player drum when it isn't true. He is well able to press and work hard.

Rodgers should shut up and stop being a pr!ck because, imo, that exactly the way he is acting.

EDIT: Few more here

7q45Td.png

So the stats prove that Balotelli is a better fit for the system than Sturridge?

4KxMpd.png
    6rxYLg.png
    4JyGY5.png

Those stats alone mean sfa.

If he was scoring goals there'd be no problem.

1 goal in 14 this season is the stat that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I dont think that Balotelli is lazy, he does put in the effort but it doesn't come natural to him, there is a couple of seconds delay were he realizes he should be pressing and by that time the opposition have cleared their lines.

Sometimes a player just doesn't workout or fit the system, Balotelli isn't the first high profile player not to fit in at Liverpool. We should just move on.

No. Rodgers said that players that don't press wouldn't get picked. Ballotelli does press. He does work hard. Rodgers is playing politics and being a bit of a prick by singling out Ballotelli.

I've nothing against Sturridge btw...he's a fine player.I'm simply trying to point out that when Rodgers speaks bull**** comes pouring out. I'm a bit sick of hearing it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement