Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

brevity wrote: »
    Put this together on Sturridge and Balotelli.

4KxMpd.png
    6rxYLg.png
    4JyGY5.png

Its from last season and obviously from different leagues but I think it might dispel this idea that Balotelli is a lazy player. There are a few other defensive stats that Balotelli comes out on top over Sturridge.

Now, there are some...eh..other circumstances to consider. We were a very different beast last year...probably a lot more attacking than Milan and in a league thats quite different from ours. Milan didn't have a great season and could be argued that are in a bit of a rut. Still, Balotelli was able to play a defensive part and he has some stats that shouldn't be ignored.

Rodgers seems content to play politics and bang the Balotelli is a lazy player drum when it isn't true. He is well able to press and work hard.

Rodgers should shut up and stop being a pr!ck because, imo, that exactly the way he is acting.

EDIT: Few more here

7q45Td.png

Sturridge is brilliant.

Balotelli isn't.

Sturridge has excellent movement and stretches defenses.

Balotelli doesn't.

Sturridges defensive stats are meaningless. It is obvious to anyone watching what he brings to Liverpool. While I think Balotelli has been unfairly treated, he needs to work harder, that much is clear. He has done more closing down than I'd expected and fair play to him for that. What he doesn't do enough of is working hard to get in the box and in positions to score

No. Rodgers said that players that don't press wouldn't get picked. Ballotelli does press. He does work hard. Rodgers is playing politics and being a bit of a prick by singling out Ballotelli.

I've nothing against Sturridge btw...he's a fine player.I'm simply trying to point out that when Rodgers speaks bull**** comes pouring out. I'm a bit sick of hearing it

Have you factored in what Ballotelli is like in training? Perhaps he just doesn't cut the mustard playing the pressing game.

He was never a fit for the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Those stats alone mean sfa.

If he was scoring goals there'd be no problem.

1 goal in 14 this season is the stat that matters.

This has more to do with Rodgers than Balotelli and Sturridge.

I'd agree that if Balotelli was scoring more goals (might help if Rodgers played him in a set up that worked) there would be no problem.

My main point is that Rodgers is full of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

BR has a history of acting the maggot with certain players. Hendo, Sktrel, Borini and now Mario, however he also has a history of bringing these guys back into the fold. As rarnes mentioned, maybe attitudes in training plays a big part.

This has more to do with Rodgers than Balotelli and Sturridge.

I'd agree that if Balotelli was scoring more goals (might help if Rodgers played him in a set up that worked) there would be no problem.

My main point is that Rodgers is full of it.

I don't really disagree with Rodgers tbh, but then again I have fcuk all time for Ballotelli

Sturridge is brilliant.

Balotelli isn't.

Sturridge has excellent movement and stretches defenses.

Balotelli doesn't.

Sturridges defensive stats are meaningless. It is obvious to anyone watching what he brings to Liverpool. While I think Balotelli has been unfairly treated, he needs to work harder, that much is clear. He has done more closing down than I'd expected and fair play to him for that. What he doesn't do enough of is working hard to get in the box and in positions to score

Why would Rodgers make the point that if you don't press you don't play when not pressing isn't really part of Sturridges game?

He is, imo, throwing Mario under the bus and its shameful.
    Have you factored in what Ballotelli is like in training? Perhaps he just doesn't cut the mustard playing the pressing game.

He was never a fit for the team

I haven't and maybe he is bad in training. Agree 100% on your second point.

T-K-O wrote: »
    BR has a history of acting the maggot with certain players. Hendo, Sktrel, Borini and now Mario, however he also has a history of bringing these guys back into the fold. As rarnes mentioned, maybe attitudes in training plays a big part.

Sakho too.

Now Sahko is number 1 CB for me. Crowd have taken to him too. Thought I seen a Sakho flag in the Kop today.

I guess some players respond to criticism, some don't

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Tbh forget about Balotelli everyone he has crossed is sick of him too. Borini missed two good chances tonight and only Henderson has rebounded. Skrtel isn't exactly a calming influence either.
    Starting to forget about Lovren too thankfully.

Sakho too.

Now Sahko is number 1 CB for me. Crowd have taken to him too. Thought I seen a Sakho flag in the Kop today.

I guess some players respond to criticism, some don't

Exactly , I'm sure there are others on the receiving end of the cold shoulder. Tis football I guess

I must admit, I've been impressed with Sahko of late. The back 3 is really working. Sktrel looks solid in the middle, Sahko dominates his opponent and we have Can chipping the opposition sticker, pinging balls left, right and centre.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    Tbh forget about Balotelli everyone he has crossed is sick of him too. Borini missed two good chances tonight and only Henderson has rebounded. Skrtel isn't exactly a calming influence either.
    Starting to forget about Lovren too thankfully.

Skrtel was never a calming influence, to hold that against him at this stage in pointless IMO. This was also a problem when he played with Agger

It was no coincidence they both looked better playing with Carragher. He needs a strong CB beside him. Sktrel gets a lot of stick but he is performing as well as any of our CB's and was very good against Chelsea / Costa.

As for Mario, he's not good enough to he make the 11. If he turns that around I for one would be delighted. However, I'm not holding my breath.

Lovern - while he is a worry we should look at Lazer, Sahko and other guys who took some time to settle. All is not lost there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Why would Rodgers make the point that if you don't press you don't play when not pressing isn't really part of Sturridges game?

He is, imo, throwing Mario under the bus and its shameful.

Sturridge presses fine and works hard. He is selfish and prone to tunnel vision but he works for the team as a forward mostly, in both an attacking and a defensive sense.

He isn't throwing him under the bus.

This is stage 1 of the Rodgers Reconciliation Regime (tm).

Balotelli can come through it a better person like Henderson, Sakho, Can and Lucas, or he will not last here.

I'm not being serious above, obviously, but Rodgers has "fallen out" with plenty of players in his time here. But I've not really heard so much of a whisper of discontent from the players. He seems well liked and respected. That says to me that he is generally quite fair. I'm sure he doesn't have a personal vendetta against Balotelli.

Sturridge presses fine and works hard. He is selfish and prone to tunnel vision but he works for the team as a forward mostly, in both an attacking and a defensive sense.

He isn't throwing him under the bus.

This is stage 1 of the Rodgers Reconciliation Regime (tm).

Balotelli can come through it a better person like Henderson, Sakho, Can and Lucas, or he will not last here.

I'm not being serious above, obviously, but Rodgers has "fallen out" with plenty of players in his time here. But I've not really heard so much of a whisper of discontent from the players. He seems well liked and respected. That says to me that he is generally quite fair. I'm sure he doesn't have a personal vendetta against Balotelli.

I think he got very very lucky with Henderson.

Perhaps this is some sort of reverse psychology that Rodgers is using...i just think he is playing politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Paul konchesky,Martin kelly, Daniel Ayala, Stephen Derby and Andre Wisdom through to the next round of FA cup.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Skrtel was never a calming influence, to hold that against him at this stage in pointless IMO. This was also a problem when he played with Agger

It was no coincidence they both looked better playing with Carragher. He needs a strong CB beside him. Sktrel gets a lot of stick but he is performing as well as any of our CB's and was very good against Chelsea / Costa.

As for Mario, he's not good enough to he make the 11. If he turns that around I for one would be delighted. However, I'm not holding my breath.

Lovern - while he is a worry we should look at Lazer, Sahko and other guys who took some time to settle. All is not lost there.
    Markovic and Sakho were foreign players coming from a different league. New languages, new league etc. Sakho also didn't get a run of games & Markovic is only 20.

Lovren was bought to come straight into the team as he was PL proven & shouldn't have had to adapt. He was given a lot of chances at the beginning of the season and looked horrific because he didn't have Wanyama & Schneiderlin in front of him to babysit him.

The money spent on Lovren should've been spent on a top class DM, last years CBs would've sufficed if there was sufficient protection in front of them

marno21 wrote: »
    Markovic and Sakho were foreign players coming from a different league. New languages, new league etc. Sakho also didn't get a run of games & Markovic is only 20.

Lovren was bought to come straight into the team as he was PL proven & shouldn't have had to adapt. He was given a lot of chances at the beginning of the season and looked horrific because he didn't have Wanyama & Schneiderlin in front of him to babysit him.

The money spent on Lovren should've been spent on a top class DM, last years CBs would've sufficed if there was sufficient protection in front of them

Who's to say Lovern won't come good too.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »

Not everything from Sky is gospel. Lovern has not become a bad player over night, pressure does funny things to players.

What's the difference between LFC and Southampton, not a lot in real terms however those in the game have stated over and over again, playing for a team like LFC is not the same.

We're too quick to right players off. Just a few weeks ago Lazer was muck, Sahko a joke etc, etc

Lovern could be flop but he could just as easily lead our defence for the next 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Is Lovern an alterative talented version of Lovren?
    Because I wish Liverpool could return our lad with the receipt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

That Bradford win.

You gotta love the FA cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Vicxas wrote: »
    That Bradford win.

You gotta love the FA cup.

I do. Superb tournament. Annoyed that we haven't won it since 2006. Hope the presses don't big up this thing about the Cup final being on Gerrard's birthday too much. Have to win the replay first of course.

Also, Sturridge MAY be fit for the Chelsea game. If not he'll be defo fit for the West Ham game. Great news.

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »
    Also, Sturridge MAY be fit for the Chelsea game. If not he'll be defo fit for the West Ham game. Great news.

Calm down, he hasn't trained yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

ERG89 wrote: »
    Is Lovern an alterative talented version of Lovren?
    Because I wish Liverpool could return our lad with the receipt

Is "alterative" an alternative version of "alternative"?

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Nor should he be allowed to. It was training that broke him the last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Balotelli played 54 games for Milan, scoring 30 goals.
    10 of those were from the penalty spot, 5 from free-kicks.
    So he only managed 15 from play in 54 games, even though Milan were set up to accommodate his lazy style of play.
    I'd wonder how many free kicks he took as well; I'd imagine it was a lot to get that return of 5 goals.
    For a lad who doesn't have to chase back at all, you'd think he would have had more from play.

In 43 Serie A games, he was booked 16 times and sent off once (he's got 4 yellows in 12 PL games this season, or 759 minutes of football).
    For context, villain No. 1 Suarez played 110 PL games for Liverpool and collected 23 yellow cards; and that's with Suarez's incredible determination to win.

It's almost as if Balo is being treated as a martyr at this stage; but I knew when I saw him play for us that he wasn't going to put in a shift.
    He's too set in his ways and won't change. Don't want him near the club, he's poison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lovrensception.

Is Jermaine Jenas a love child of Martin Keown

I'm just going on what Rodgers said after the match to the BT Sport lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

The quote in context of everything Brendan said isn't nearly as sensationalist as that single line quoted in that tweet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30971115

The quote in context of everything Brendan said isn't nearly as sensationalist as that single line quoted in that tweet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30971115

Looks to be more like this:

"If you want to contribute you have to be at it every single day in training in order to be in the squad on matchday.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

• Advertisement

Oh stop it - pure tittle-tattle to get clicks on twatter and newspapers to get any clicks at all.

"I am judging it every day in training - Mario is exactly the same as every other player, there is no special treatment for anyone," added Rodgers.
    "Fabio Borini and Rickie Lambert are working tirelessly in training and when they go on they have contributed and young Jordan Rossiter, on the bench today, has been brilliant in training and I have to judge it on that.
    "If you want to contribute you have to be at it every single day in training in order to be in the squad on matchday.
    "It is difficult for him [Balotelli] but he knows the level of [where] this team is at - you see the aggression in our pressing and if you can't do that you are not going to be a part of what this team is trying to achieve.
    "We had an hour or so yesterday chatting and he understands where he is at."

The part in bold is interesting considering that was nowhere to be seen in the first half of the season.

One wonders how Glen Johnson gets picked when he does the sum of **** all. Must use up all his energy in training...

Perhaps Mario needs to work harder in training, I don't know. I'd like him to be a success at the club. I think he could be a good player for us but that's up to Rodgers and Mario to sort out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The Johnson hate pisses me off. Give him a ****ing break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mario just didn't work out. We all knew it came with a high risk factor, dummies back in the pram!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

J Mysterio wrote: »

Players earn the right to be given a break. Johnson hasn't put in a shift in about two years. He's a very well paid member of our squad and too often looks like he doesn't give a shit. Criticism is entirely justified in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

None of the players we bought in the summer are bad players.

We overpaid for some and others were used to playing in a different system than the ones we used this season.

The manager hasn't used systems that suit some of these players and it takes time for them to get used to the systems the manager wants to play.

We haven't played to the strenghts to some of these players and therefore they look out of place in the systems we play.

So you can blame the players for this or you can blame the manager it's just a petty we could find the system we are using eariler in the season.

Onwards now for cups to aim for top 4 with the palyers we have.

We will still give out and support for the rest of the season but this is the cards we have been dealt.

Lets play them.

(i'm just in and drunk always the best time to post)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Should sterling be on more than Johnson, hell yeah, 100000 a week for sterling sounds OK to me, he is one of the most exciting prospects in the world, his finishing could improve but if I remember correctly suarez missed alot his first year and then it all started to click, I think sterling will find his scoring boots and would be gutted if they don't sort his contract, as for Johnson good luck in your new club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

sword1 wrote: »
    Should sterling be on more than Johnson, hell yeah, 100000 a week for sterling sounds OK to me, he is one of the most exciting prospects in the world, his finishing could improve but if I remember correctly suarez missed alot his first year and then it all started to click, I think sterling will find his scoring boots and would be gutted if they don't sort his contract, as for Johnson good luck in your new club

Serious questions need to be addressed though in terms of keeping a player hungry.

Yes the best young players in the world should be enticed and kept happy, but theres a balance.

Paying them 100k per week to a hungry determined player with a world class work ethic motivated to be the very best in a no brainer. Keep this player happy at all costs.

Paying 100k per week to a massively talented player on the cusp of being world class, but who may be culpable of sometimes coasting on his natural ability and prone to not applying himself 100% in training etc... can ruin him. If he sees that as reaching the top of mountain (ala Ryan Babel for instance) then its never good.

Its a balancing act. Maybe Rodgers and co. are not yet sure if it will be a negative for the player to be paid so much on the back of doing relatively little. Its the modern game, sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

niallo27 wrote: »
    Cheeky 40 million and a pound bid for him.

Suarez is a busted flush mate, not worth 40mil. His background would tell you that, in case you are not familiar I will fill you in.

Poor boy from Uruguay, not a penny for shoes or food. Meets girl from family with a few quid. Girl moves to Europe with family, Suarez follows. Girl moves home, Suarez decides he has to make it big to stand a chance with girl. Suarez puts every last bit of his living breathing self into last season for LFC, gets big pay-off for himself and family. Luis & family live happily ever after.

Unlike other stars, he has little ego and has fulfilled his mission already - he has made his family secure and has secured the love of his wife and the future of his children. He needs little else, and will never reach the heights of professional altruism displayed last season.

• Advertisement

The part in bold is interesting considering that was nowhere to be seen in the first half of the season.

One wonders how Glen Johnson gets picked when he does the sum of **** all. Must use up all his energy in training...

Perhaps Mario needs to work harder in training, I don't know. I'd like him to be a success at the club. I think he could be a good player for us but that's up to Rodgers and Mario to sort out.

I know its late and I could be imbibed still, but I have to call "bollox" when I see it... The key factor deciding Mario's delivery on the pitch is up to..... Mario. Not Rodgers. Dont put that on Rodgers, dont even think about it.

Mourinho / Mancini could not get into his head, its not fair to expect miracles from Bren.

J Mysterio wrote: »

[/QUOTE

Johnson has a lot of attributes to be a great player, athleticism, tekkers, cool head, etc. He lacks intensity and concentration, for that reason he will never be a great player and will never be remembered in the same way as Finnan for example, even though Johnson is the better player physicially.

What pisses me off about Johnson is the wastefulness of his talent, give that to a Spearing or even a Borini and they would be world class.

garra wrote: »
    Suarez is a busted flush mate, not worth 40mil. His background would tell you that, in case you are not familiar I will fill you in.

Poor boy from Uruguay, not a penny for shoes or food. Meets girl from family with a few quid. Girl moves to Europe with family, Suarez follows. Girl moves home, Suarez decides he has to make it big to stand a chance with girl. Suarez puts every last bit of his living breathing self into last season for LFC, gets big pay-off for himself and family. Luis & family live happily ever after.

Unlike other stars, he has little ego and has fulfilled his mission already - he has made his family secure and has secured the love of his wife and the future of his children. He needs little else, and will never reach the heights of professional altruism displayed last season.

A busted flush? This is bollocks in a million different ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He is a winner through and through. Busted flush lol

Sunday morning 4am posts sometimes can be a bit off the wall!

I know its late and I could be imbibed still, but I have to call "bollox" when I see it... The key factor deciding Mario's delivery on the pitch is up to..... Mario. Not Rodgers. Dont put that on Rodgers, dont even think about it.

Mourinho / Mancini could not get into his head, its not fair to expect miracles from Bren.

Its hard for Mario to do this when he is not played in a set up that suits him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

10416626_1023486554333859_3830301419480645393_n.jpg?oh=40f2925407ede8e57718f6065e665ee9&oe=556E703E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I think garra must have been on the sauce again, I did advise him to keep alcohol and boards seperate after the last time...

Ah the "Midnight till 8 am" rule - you know it makes sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I know its late and I could be imbibed still.

You don't say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Is there such thing as a hangover from smoking gear? Because this geezer is gonna be in rag order today.

135542-Snoop-Dogg-Psy-hangover-bath-t-3xQM.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement