Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

8-10 wrote: »
    Didn't think it would be a popular opinion anyway and pretty much 0 chance of it happening.

Why would you start him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I don't see Mario coming back from under the bus, at any stage this season. He will be sold in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I would like to see how Mario performs with Sturridge before I'd completely write him off. If that doesn't work he'll be gone summer time with us making a loss. Been a bit of a disaster of a transfer if we are being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Chelsea is about the last game on earth where I would be starting Balotelli.

Same.

I'd almost hold him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

gafferino wrote: »
    Is it just me or has it been a very quiet transfer window in general? I know there is time left but seems unusually quiet.

I dont think there has been as many changes to managers as previous years (dont have the numbers so could be wrong) ,hence I would expect less activity ,less chairmen backing their new guy.

Plus these things tend to snowball ,so you need the first flurry of activity start the ball rolling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They'll be a bit of a rush in the last 3 days. That's when Liverpool get Benzema

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

They'll be a bit of a rush in the last 3 days. That's when Liverpool get Benzema

We might get him if we sell Borini and Balotelli....and Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Not just Benzema.

Kalexionel Lacabenzamessi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Why would you start him?

Confusion tactics :P

Nah in reality I just feel that a striker was missing in last week's game, and while I'm enjoying how the team is playing right now, it's obvious that we're not scoring enough goals based on the chances we are creating. People will argue (correctly) that Balo hasn't exactly set the scoring charts alight but if he played last week chances would have fallen to him.

Stamford Bridge is a different prospect altogether, but this is a cup knockout and we need to score to go through. If Balo has been showing hunger in training since he last started then I'd put him in. I'm not writing him off as a player.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We'll sign Raymond Benzema, Karim's 15 year old nephew. That would be the only type of Benzema we'll sign in January. He's the next Odegaard I hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Rumour mill has spun up with Milner. Would be a great signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I dont think there has been as many changes to managers as previous years (dont have the numbers so could be wrong) ,hence I would expect less activity ,less chairmen backing their new guy.

Plus these things tend to snowball ,so you need the first flurry of activity start the ball rolling.

An additional thing which may or may not be a factor is the falling strength of the Euro over the course of the month of January.

European based players get cheaper and cheaper ot English based Clubs the further the Euro drops.

I saw on twitter how an €18m European player is now worth €700,000 les than he was on the 7th of January.

Knowing FSG they probably have more people employed analysing this than they have employed on the football side of things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

5starpool wrote: »
    We'll sign Raymond Benzema, Karim's 15 year old nephew. That would be the only type of Benzema we'll sign in January. He's the next Odegaard I hear.

Ha!

Needs a 4 min YouTube video with 3 and a half minutes of graphics, intro music, slow mo-s and 30 seconds of him coming off the bench and hitting the ball into the side netting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

saw this on reddit; didnt realise Manuel Pasqual wears Stevie's captains armband

NecessaryFragrantHamster.gif

sorry just realised it's a monster gif...

Vicxas wrote: »

Wouldn't fix the goals problem but should maintain the balls quotient in the squad.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Vicxas wrote: »

We are not free to talk to him for pre-contract for next year. Only clubs outside England are.

So ignore rumours unless they involve a fee to acquire his services now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

FYI - the under 21's are playing Man Utd tonight at 6:45. Should be a very good game.

It's on sky also, tis getting the Monday night football treatment.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    We are not free to talk to him for pre-contract for next year. Only clubs outside England are.

So ignore rumours unless they involve a fee to acquire his services now.

I think English clubs can speak to him from end of March on, or so I read somewhere anyhow. As you say though, we can't agree anything with him this month unless we pay City.

Bolton replay date Wednesday 4th Feb KO 8pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Bolton replay date Tuesday 3rd Feb KO 8pm

On the box?

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    On the box?

Dunno yet. BBC will go with Utd v Cambridge you can be sure.

edit! BT have got Utd/Cambridge

BBC One have Bolton v Liverpool :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Crazy schedule coming up. That FA cup replay doesn't help and I presume if we beat Bolton there will be another round of the FA cup in there somewhere.

Sat - 31 5368__6450__premier_league_144x_53dfa2ef471a9641782721_76X26.pngWest Ham H15:00
    February 2015

Wed - 4 0253__8181__fa_cup_2014-15_width144px_76X19.pngBolton H19:45

Sat - 7 5368__6450__premier_league_144x_53dfa2ef471a9641782721_76X26.pngEverton A17:30

Tue - 10 5368__6450__premier_league_144x_53dfa2ef471a9641782721_76X26.pngTottenham H20:00

Thu - 19 uefa_euro_144x_copy_4d50053032bc7559010775_76X26.pngBesiktas H20:05
    Sun - 22 5368__6450__premier_league_144x_53dfa2ef471a9641782721_76X26.pngSouthampton A16:15

Thu - 26 uefa_euro_144x_copy_4d50053032bc7559010775_76X26.pngBesiktas A18:00
    March 2015Sun - 1 5368__6450__premier_league_144x_53dfa2ef471a9641782721_76X26.pngMan City H12:00

Wed - 4 5368__6450__premier_league_144x_53dfa2ef471a9641782721_76X26.pngBurnley H20:00

faaccccccckkkkkkkkk

Gonna need players like Lovren, Johnsen, Allen, Ballotelli, Ibe, Lambert, Borini to really step up to the mark when required.

*shruggs*

They are paid well for this football lark, a few games won't hurt them.

OK, now that's 9 games in 33 days unless my maths have totally abandoned me. If we get through to the league cup final the Man City game will be postponed and we'll play it that day, so it'll be another fixture to plug in somewhere. If we go through another few rounds in Europe we could be looking at 60+ games this season and still might not win anything!

OK, now that's 9 games in 33 days unless my maths have totally abandoned me. If we get through to the league cup final the Man City game will be postponed and we'll play it that day, so it'll be another fixture to plug in somewhere. If we go through another few rounds in Europe we could be looking at 60+ games this season and still might not win anything!

66 is the maximum if we reach all finals. Could be 68 with two further replays in the FA Cup. Yikes.

martyos121 wrote: »
    66 is the maximum if we reach all finals. Could be 68 with two further replays in the FA Cup. Yikes.

ha ha lets not get ahead our ourselves, could be out of all comps in a few weeks.

ha ha lets not get ahead our ourselves, could be out of all comps in a few weeks.

Depends how quickly Reus, Benzema and Anton Rodgers fit into the squad really. Could be a hallmark year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Or better known as "doing an Arsenal" ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well thats why we paid £100m plus during the summer to build a squad to play all these games.

We knew they would be coming being in 4 competitions and hoping to go the distance in all of them.

This is what we want as fans to be involved in the latter stages of competitions and in the running for trophies.

If we can't enjoy this many games whats the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

martyos121 wrote: »
    Depends how quickly Reus, Benzema and Anton Rodgers fit into the squad really. Could be a hallmark year.

9 goals in 14 games from midfield for Swindon this season. I know it's for Swindon, but that's a very good return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Just reading a piece about the stats when Coutinho, Sterling and Sturridge play, we've 2.33 ppg.

Great stuff for the bloody 15 matches in 2 years it has happened!

P15 W11 D2 L2 which were to City and Chelsea.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Well thats why we paid £100m plus during the summer to build a squad to play all these games.

We knew they would be coming being in 4 competitions and hoping to go the distance in all of them.

This is what we want as fans to be involved in the latter stages of competitions and in the running for trophies.

Have to agree with this.

We all question the quality fo the squad but absolutely no doubt the depth has improved. We should be able for this period.

K-9 wrote: »
    Just reading a piece about the stats when Coutinho, Sterling and Sturridge play, we've 2.33 ppg.

Great stuff for the bloody 15 matches in 2 years it has happened!

P15 W11 D2 L2 which were to City and Chelsea.

I'm guessing there is another common player in most of those games too that isn't mentioned. Annoying that they have only played together 15 times though.

The trick with trying to figure it out from the fans' perspective is that we don't have access to the biggest indicator of who to play - the fitness of the players.

Trying to do a numbers game and saying "Lucas has played 6 games in 3 weeks so he now needs a rest" or whatever, is just futile.

Nobody here ever would've suggested sending Sterling off on holiday for the games against Villa and Sunderland.
    But now that he has he can (hopefully) be played whenever he's needed for a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Regarding Raheem Sterling, he wants 100k per week.

While it sounds like a ludicrous amount for a just turned 20 year old who hasn't accomplished anything yet. He is one our most important players and his contribution to the squad justifies that wage IMO. He is one of England's central players now also.

Pay the 100k and tie him down otherwise risk loosing one of the world's most talented young players to Chelsea/Man City/Real Madrid. Because they will have no problem giving him what he's want and stumping up the huge fee that goes with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

well men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It won't tie him down though. Pay the man his money.

I'm guessing there is another common player in most of those games too that isn't mentioned. Annoying that they have only played together 15 times though.

Garra was saying the other day he's a bit ****e though?....

rob316 wrote: »
    Regarding Raheem Sterling, he wants 100k per week.

While it sounds like a ludicrous amount for a just turned 20 year old who hasn't accomplished anything yet. He is one our most important players and his contribution to the squad justifies that wage IMO. He is one of England's central players now also.

Pay the 100k and tie him down otherwise risk loosing one of the world's most talented young players to Chelsea/Man City/Real Madrid. Because they will have no problem giving him what he's want and stumping up the huge fee that goes with him.

With Milner leaving city and I'd imagine Sinclair could leave too, city will be looking to sign English players this summer and sterling is certainly good enough to be a starter for them. Need to tie him down to defer interest from them.
    Give the lad what he wants tbh.

• Advertisement

If the talk of use wanting to sign Milner is real his wages would be close to the £100k a week and with maybe 3/4 good season left in him he won't want to take a wage cut.

So if we are prepared to pay Milner that kind of wage who is a very good player but not a game changer.

Sterling is a game changer and the price to keep him is £100k a week then you pay it.

He should at least be on comparable wages to Sturridge thats for sure.

klose wrote: »
    With Milner leaving city and I'd imagine Sinclair could leave too, city will be looking to sign English players this summer and sterling is certainly good enough to be a starter for them. Need to tie him down to defer interest from them.
    Give the lad what he wants tbh.

Slightly off topic but City's age profile is chronic - they will need to replace so many in the next 2 to 3 years. No idea how strong their academy is but you'd have to suppose they will be looking at Sterling, Barkley, a few Soton players etc but they won't be able to pay stupid money due to their best being as old as they already are and FFP. Even Aguero is 27 this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Or better known as "doing an Arsenal" ...

Boom!

@LFC: #LFC U21s side to face Man United: Vigouroux, McLaughlin, Maguire, Randall, Williams, Chirivella, Canos, Brannagan, Sinclair, Ibe, Ojo.

@LFC: Here's #LFC U21s' confirmed substitutes for the game against Man United: Fulton, Trickett-Smith, Madger Gomes, O’Hanlon, Cleary.

Helluva front three that. No rossiter, assumably with the first team for tomorrow.

@LFC: #LFC U21s side to face Man United:

Vigouroux,
    McLaughlin, Maguire, Randall, Williams,
    ---Chirivella, Brannagan,
    Ibe Canos Ojo.
    Sinclair

Subs: Fulton, Trickett-Smith, Madger Gomes, O’Hanlon, Cleary

I really hope we haven't just brought Ibe back from Derby to play under 21's.

Yeah we did :rolleyes: He can't play a senior game until Saturday at the earliest.

Anderson is weighing in for Utd, Victory Valdes also.

Is there a match thread? I know it's a youth game but come on, it's Liverpool vs. United and its on Sky Sports.

I'd say Ibe will get plenty of chances to impress given all the games coming up

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement