Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

For sure. We're not in the final because we should have battered them in the first leg. Very depressing though.

Great experience for the young lads and manager. Its a learning curve, next time round we will be better and hopefully have a recognised striker.

I'm not one for moral victories but at least the team played to its fooking potential over the two legs

Alas, it's not worth a fcuk.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    He'll not come close to Stevie, we be doing well to replace what Garrard has offered the club.

Cant buy it. He is a once off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Good performance tonight but we're lacking creativity and accuracy up front. I hope Sturridge stays fit when back and hits firm quickly.
    We have a good side but not enough depth.
    At least the system is working better.

Mignolet played very well and defence looked better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

quid co quid co, FSG drop some dough.. quid co quid co, drop some dough, gets a fúcking striker or we gonna fall below

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

For me, the best thing about tonight was the collective performance again. We are playing roughly a million times better than we were 6 weeks ago. Just hope we arent too fcuked at the weekend for West ham and that we havent any injuries from tonight(sahko will be a huge loss if he is out)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I think zonal marking cost us the goal, from my understanding of zonal marking, Mario did nothing wrong?

(besides the poor pass which lead to the goal)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Don't know how Henderson missed that header in extra time. Any decent contact and it was a goal. He just glanced at it though.

That said I wouldn't have been confident in penalties against Courtois.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Defence has looked better recently. Just hope Sakho isn't out for long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

stupid substitutions by rodgers, balotelli really is poor

can and lucas great tonight, coutinho outstanding again

A few months ago I though Matic and Fabregas were the best midfield partnership by far in England but I now realise I was very wrong on that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Btw, tonight was Mignolets best game for the club imo

Still needs to go though.

Sakho was very poor though.

Just leave Borini Lambert and Balotelli in London and tell Harry where they are staying.......he'll have them signed up in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Happy with the Performance.

It's been a Recurring Theme. As usual, our Inability to Defend Setpieces nor Finish our Chances, has Cost us again.

Hopefully Sturridge solves 1 of those, while keeping Fit for the remainder of the Season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

Balotelli should never have been signed, should be sold immediately and never spoken of again. I'd honestly rank him as a worse signing than El-Haji Diouf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Balotelli just looks like someone's who is entirely pissed off with being a footballer. He has the talent, we've seen that in the past, but he just doesn't looked bothered in the slightest. Wouldn't be surprised if we're his last club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

We gave it a great go over two legs and i thought we shaded it, again over the two legs.
    Same old problems though, no decent striker to call on. Sturridge would have got us through that i feel, it's worrying that our hopes of rescuing something from this season lie entirely on one player who has not played a game in ~6 months.

Mario is really woeful.

Our midfield was a bit shot at times...we could have done without the extra 30 minutes.

Mig did well. Proud of him.

could have done with a sub in midfield... not bringing on Lamber to hoof the ball up against a defence who are best at heading and clearing the ball... poor decision if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Happy with the Performance.

It's been a Recurring Theme. As usual, our Inability to Defend Setpieces nor Finish our Chances, has Cost us again.

Hopefully Sturridge solves 1 of those, while keeping Fit for the remainder of the Season.

Remarkable that we've allowed a situation to develop where our hopes for the rest of the season lie in this one hopelessly brittle basket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rodgers has found a defence that works.. Thats one plus.

Rodgers has found a DM..Thats another plus.

Rodgers has found an attacking system that can work.. That's another plus.

Rodgers hasn't found a striker to replace Luis for this system.. That's a minus.

Rodgers in game tactics haven't really improved another minus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Btw, tonight was Mignolets best game for the club imo

Still needs to go though.

Sakho was very poor though.

Apart from two misplaced passes, he was very good. They were clangers though, to be fair.

mosstin wrote: »
    Remarkable that we've allowed a situation to develop where our hopes for the rest of the season lie in this one hopelessly brittle basket.

Its ok, we have a bucket of horse placenta at the ready

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Apart from two misplaced passes, he was very good. They were clangers though, to be fair.

He done ok, those passes were terrible, lucky to have got away with them being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

martyos121 wrote: »
    It's a bad sign if Rodgers isn't being backed to spend this month. Owners must have very little faith in him. If we don't buy a striker by the end of the window, I have a feeling Rodgers' position will be evaluated at the end of the season.
    Just to state, that's not what I want, it's just how I think the owners feel.

This makes sense to me . Need to back him now. Can see why (apart from money) sterling is dallying in that he is being flogged and constantly played out of position, and I believe as you suggest no guarantee of BR having the backing of the money men.
    loss of sakko was huge tonight, glenjo all over the place and gaping holes when he came on. Also, a typically cheap free conceded (and should have been a second yellow) by Lucy for the goal. THAT'S why he needs to be replaced !

We have seriously shored up the defence. Just a shame we cant score

• Advertisement

Tell you what though, all this talk of Lucas leaving has to be shot down now. He was immense and walked that yellow card tightrope when I thought he would get sent off. Have to give him a new deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

That Fault lies with Rodgers/Transfer Committee.

We had the Money, they knew that Sturridge was Injury-prone, and still they didn't Prioritize the CF Position.

As much as I'd love to get a new Striker in, I don't think we'd Buy anyone in January. Specially, when we're being Investigated for FFP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Despite his one dodgy pass just before his injury, Sakho going off was a big loss. Johnson was predictably poor after coming on. Does not deserve a new contract.

Gerrards legs were gone at HT.......how was he allowed to "play" the full 120 mins. Stupid really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Tell you what though, all this talk of Lucas leaving has to be shot down now. He was immense and walked that yellow card tightrope when I thought he would get sent off. Have to give him a new deal.

I've never been a massive fan of his , but even i must admit he was brilliant tonight, in fact he's been top notch since he came back into the team.

There are several players we should be offloading well before him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

In fairness, they were two absolute clangers. Simply can't be making making mistakes like that at that level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Johnson certainly showed he deserves a new contract.
    Balo to lead the line for the rest of the season.
    Gerrard deserved MOTM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Got my first ever yellow card tonight! It was worth it though :)

Jaysus, that match thread was so full of poison and BS, really disgusting at times, mods and everything trying to defend Costa... :confused: Think I'll go back to just reading rather than posting :)

Why can't we buy strikers who actually score goals???

Apart from Suarez and Torres, we've had 20 years of failed strikers, some of them ending up playing right wing... Saunders, Collymore, Diouf, Kuyt, Ballotelli, Borini, Cisse, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Well on the plus side:

I watched the first episode of The Wire last night.

And I liked it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Johnson certainly showed he deserves a new contract.

No he doesn't - their best spell began when he came on, I would have brought on Lovren to play left of back three and that tells you a lot

Rodgers has found a defence that works.. Thats one plus.

Rodgers has found a DM..Thats another plus.

Rodgers has found an attacking system that can work.. That's another plus.

Rodgers hasn't found a striker to replace Luis for this system.. That's a minus.

Rodgers in game tactics haven't really improved another minus.

the team doesn't have the players in fairness, that's the club including Rodgers...but i would agree with some posters saying that Gerrard should have been subbed, llanna should have come on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Well on the plus side:

And I liked it.

You're so lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Swap Costa for Ballotelli and we'd have won that tie. Good effort from the players tonight, shining lights were the Count, Sterling, Can, Sktrel, Mig & Henderson for me. Gerrard off for Lallana after 70 mins could have worked for us, felt ill watching Lambert & Balotelli shuffling about. Brought back Sunday afternoon :eek:

Well on the plus side:

And I liked it.
    You're so lucky.

I dunno, when they brought in the alien storyline I just lost interest......

garra wrote: »
    Swap Costa for Ballotelli and we'd have won that tie

Balotelli has forgotten how to play football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

On the individuals, the starting 11 all played at least pretty well and they all worked hard.

Mignolet has made a pretty clear statement that he's at least acceptable for the rest of the season and a decent backup option for the future.

Skrtel was brilliant, Sakho had a couple of dodgy moments, as did Can but you're going to get a few of those if you play the way we do.

Moreno was fairly good but was just as ineffective in the box as everyone else.
    Markovic put in a shift and it's good to see that he can at least do a job if he's not producing much going forward.

Lucas and Hendo were magnificent first half and pretty good in the 2nd. Lucas really struggled in ET though.
    Gerrard wasn't too bad but there's not a lot of use having him up there if he's not going to get the ball where he can do anything useful with it.
    It's pretty clear to me that he has to be the one Sturridge comes in for.

Coutinho and Sterling had flashes again but if you can't do it where it counts you're rightfully going to be passed over for praise.

None of the subs worked (although I think Rodgers was somewhat constrained by what he had available - starting all your wingers and having no strikers makes it tricky ).

We're not just missing someone to stick it in the net. We're not really creating a huge amount of good chances. It's not like we're putting things on a plate for players and they're butchering them. We're butchering the play in the lead up to that.

If Sterling dithers on the ball and loses it every time it's not going to make a difference whether it's my obese uncle up front or Sturridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

donfers wrote: »
    No he doesn't - their best spell began when he came on, I would have brought on Lovren to play left of back three and that tells you a lot

Johnson was easily our best defender, after Can, Skertl, Moreno, Markovic & Sahko. So he was right up there.

Got a day off tomorrow and a belly full of wine in me now, not sure I'm able for this Gerrard special on Sky right now.

We were very slow on the counter attack also.

Nevermind! Its been epic....

Johnson was easily our best defender, after Can, Skertl, Moreno, Markovic & Sahko. So he was right up there.

Indeed. With him in the team we're rightback to square one.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Really? Didn't think he stood out at all.

#sarcasm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Well on the plus side:

And I liked it.

Don't listen to anyone who says Series 2 is terrible.

#sarcasm

Ninja'd....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I thought there was 3 bad mistakes.

2 really bad mistakes in 1 game by a defender gifting opportunities to the opposition is enough to classify as a very poor performance

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement