Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

NukaCola wrote: »
    Forget about top 4. Wont get it. Dont deserve it.

Hope Southampton do enough to get it. No bull**** from there manager on how great they've been, no garbage about systems or soundbites for the journo's, just a good solid organised team giving it their all every game.

Doing a brilliant job there it seems. Steadied the ship after a recent wobble and they appear to be pushing forward again. Great win today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Anyone saying 4th is gone is also pretty much saying 'sack Rodgers' surely? Seven points is nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I suspect the intention of the Gerrard thing was to try to get him to sign the contract. i think Gerrard as a leader, and brand, is something the club would hate to lose at this point when so many of the team are younger. Whether we like it or not, he's also a draw for bringing in players. Every footballer in the world knows Stephen Gerrard. The opportunity to share a dressing room with him and learn from him is something a lot of players will value.

Had the contract already been signed, I think he'd already be playing less - much like Sterling being played last year through bad form until he signed his contract extension, then was taken out of the team more often than not before he returned to form.

Gerrard is free to talk to other clubs from this week onwards. The fact it's even gotten to this stage makes me think he's odds-on to leave, with starting him plenty being the attempt to keep him. The best thing for the club obviously is that he stays and accepts a Lampard-esque role. Whether or not that's the best thing for Gerrard himself is the question.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Pathetic again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Playing Henderson on the wing to accommodate Gerrard in the team is a disgrace.

It's so wrong it's not funny.

I would think the vast majority here would agree that Henderson is our best CM. BR would want to get a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Annoying isn't it? I knew this would happen! :p

Well there we are Gerrard starts and Liverpool are poor, he is just wrong in this team and I don't give a feck about whether he is a legend or can take a peno. he is just a bad fit for what is required in 2014/15.

Thing is, I wouldn't trust anybody else to take the penalties!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Would love to see make a bid for Sissoko. For me looking at Shaqiri is a mistake we don't need another wide player.

I would think the vast majority here would agree that Henderson is our best CM. BR would want to get a clue.

It's to accommodate Gerrard and nothing else.

It means our best CM is out of position and also we have no actual RB.

Bizarre stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

bur wrote: »
    Anyone saying 4th is gone is also pretty much saying 'sack Rodgers' surely? Seven points is nothing.

It's that simple is it? Or is it whenever Liverpool have an opportunity to close a gap, like playing bottom of the league team and being gifted 2 pens, we still mess it up.

Seven points is loads for a team that can't close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

K-9 wrote: »
    Thing is, I wouldn't trust anybody else to take the penalties!

Emre Chandsome...he can do everything else. It's ridiculous carrying a player for 90 minutes on the off chance we get a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Long past having any real expectations of a match at Anfield playing out like it should.

Wish I could be so philosophical about the team's performance and results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Can't blame Gerrard for that. It's not the player's fault he's only dropped every 4th game and only ever on fitness grounds.

7 points is nothing? Have you looked at the table recently. We have 29 points. 7 points accounts for approx a quarter of the points we gained in 20 games.

We wont make top 4. BR needs to get us as close as possible or he will be under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Seven points is huge when there's multiple teams ahead of you. We need to get to 70 points and we don't look near that.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Would love to see make a bid for Sissoko. For me looking at Shaqiri is a mistake we don't need another wide player.

We need a wide player/AM who scores, as much as a striker imo. The amount of good chances Coutinho kicks into the stands or safely passes to the keeper is pretty ridiculous. The other options we have in those positions aren't much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

It's disappointing to draw that game. The owners need to back Rodgers with more money. It looks like he will be given more time anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The problem is putting Gerrard back into that fecking controller role. If he plays, it should be as an attacking midfielder. The only player at the club capable of filling the DM role is Lucas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

2hx7csh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

We need a wide player/AM who scores, as much as a striker imo. The amount of good chances Coutinho kicks into the stands or safely passes to the keeper is pretty ridiculous. The other options we have in those positions aren't much better.

After a GK the priority should be CM IMO. Neither Gerrard nor Lucas should be playing on merit.

It's disappointing to draw that game. The owners need to back Rodgers with more money. It looks like he will be given more time anyway.

The owners gave him enough. Time for him to get the best out of what he has.

Grayditch wrote: »
    It's that simple is it? Or is it whenever Liverpool have an opportunity to close a gap, like playing bottom of the league team and being gifted 2 pens, we still mess it up.

Seven points is loads for a team that can't close.

So just say it .. 'sack Rodgers' .. as you clearly have lost all faith in our manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sappy404 wrote: »
    After a GK the priority should be CM IMO. Neither Gerrard nor Lucas should be playing on merit.

I disagree we have one very good cm and another potentially very good one playing RB and cb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

God no, we have an abundance of players for that in Henderson, Can, Allen, Gerrard.

The owners gave him enough. Time for him to get the best out of what he has.

Well what he currently has is not good enough. Need to spend money on a decent striker and goalkeeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

What did we think of Gerrards performance today? I think hes now a passenger in the team unfortunately who slows everything down.

His wages too are outrageous in terms of what he contributes to the team. Id hope the club only offer him a new deal on condition he takes a 50% paycut at least cos I cant see him being in the team next season either way. Id much rather spend that money from wages on a decent new signing like Shaqiri than give it to a player who although hes been a fantastic servant no longer has the legs for it anymore especially the type of football we try to play

Well, Lucas obviously deserves his spot on merit. He's the best in the club at that role, and has performed well. We definitely need competition for him there, but he isn't the problem.

We actually have a very nice balance to the team with 3 at the back and him just in front of them, with attacking fullbacks, a box to box midfielder, and 3 out and out attackers.

Y'know at this stage if we had to shoehorn Gerrard in, i'd rather him where Can is playing I think (though, again, i think our best 11 doesn't contain Stevie unfortunately - what a second half sub option he could be though!)

So just say it .. 'sack Rodgers' .. as you clearly have lost all faith in our manager.

I think Rodgers is talented. I'm happy he's LFC manager. I will gladly give him time. But there is no way I wont criticise what I see as glaring mistakes and awful decisions just because I like him. I would guess the majority of fans think the same way.

He has been very disappointing this season and naive in some decisions, team selections etc Just because he gets criticism doesn't automatically mean we want him sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If there's anyone out there who doesn't think the difference in speed and intensity in the performance today was down to shoe-horning Stevie back in, I don't know what to tell you.

Today's team should've been Rodgers' easiest selection of the season.

Gerrard should be used like Lampard is at City. It's so painfully obvious, yet the manager is weak.

Yes, our business in the summer is our main problem, but for Rodgers' to not be playing his best team yet is unforgivable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Yeah give him more more money to waste, that will sort out the problems. At this stage I woldn't trust either Rodgers or this transfer committee to do my shopping never mind sign a decent player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

They're not mutually exclusive. Don't be weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    What did we think of Gerrards performance today? I think hes now a passenger in the team unfortunately who slows everything down.

That describes about 90% of his playing time in the last 24+ months.
    His wages too are outrageous in terms of what he contributes to the team. Id hope the club only offer him a new deal on condition he takes a 50% paycut at least cos I cant see him being in the team next season either way. Id much rather spend that money from wages on a decent new signing like Shaqiri than give it to a player who although hes been a fantastic servant no longer has the legs for it anymore especially the type of football we try to play

Judging by 'The Rodgers' comments in every other interview he does Gerrard will be a part of the team for the next few years. I think he would see Gerrard signing an extension as the best bit of business he has done since coming to the club.

Well what he currently has is not good enough. Need to spend money on a decent striker and goalkeeper.

He bought what is currently not good enough. Would you trust him with more is the question.

I suppose you have to back him if you want him managing your team. Personally he's shown or/and the club have shown they aren't good enough in the transfer market. Sort out the recruitment side before spending massive money again would be my priority.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Judging by 'The Rodgers' comments in every other interview he does Gerrard will be a part of the team for the next few years. I think he would see Gerrard signing an extension as the best bit of business he has done since coming to the club.

I bet he thinks their best mates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

What did Rodgers say after the game?

The funny thing is...Coutinho, Henderson, Can and Sakho were all perfectly fine today.

The spine was just so slow.

Mr Alan wrote: »

I didn't hear but fantastic, unfortunate, intensity, character were probably used.

SlickRic wrote: »
    The funny thing is...Coutinho, Henderson, Can and Sakho were all perfectly fine today.

The spine was just so slow.

Sakho had a couple of his usual brain farts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

You have to question if Rodgers knows what he is doing. Against Swansea we played brilliantly, closed players down and created space and looked solid at the back and most fans were happy with the starting line-up even before the game.

Toure for Skrtel was a forced change but that is all he needed to change. His decision to bring in Gerrard and shunt Henderson out wide completely changed the whole set-up. In both defence and attack we were poorer because of this. It's up to the manager to make these choices as he might see things fans don't in training, but halfway through the match you could see the team looked wrong. Gerrard should have been subbed and Henderson moved back into the centre. But Rodgers decision to keep Gerrard on showed he is not seeing whats wrong with the team. Was the Swansea match just a lucky choice of personnel and formation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Damn it. Poor result. Didn't see any of the game. But I Was a bit worried with talk of Stevie G partnering Lucas in midfield.

As spectacular as Stevie was as a footballer, and as great a player as he was, he just never learned the skills required to be a truly great midfielder IMO. Frequently lets runners go past him, doesn't control the tempo of a game, can't seem to do the cynical stuff that's sometimes required, etc. With his legs gone he's fast becoming a liability in there.

BR needs to bench him more or else design a new system to accommodate him. Think he still has something to offer, however it isn't as a DM in a diamond formation or as a CM in a two man midfield.

If BR doesn't address this soon, it'll cost him his job.

• Advertisement

But he's our best defender.

He bought what is currently not good enough. Would you trust him with more is the question.

I suppose you have to back him if you want him managing your team. Personally he's shown or/and the club have shown they aren't good enough in the transfer market. Sort out the recruitment side before spending massive money again would be my priority.

Not a hope I would trust him signing more players. It is back him or sack him time though.

Thought he was actually one of best players to be honest. Got in early to stop quite a few things that looked like causing us problems. I know you don't like him, but he's the best CB at the club right now IMO. The only proactive, rather than reactive, one.

Also confident that with actually playing consistently, those little errors or lapses he occasionally has will drain away, especially if we should ever happen to create a consistent back 3 or 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would love to hear that Rodgers has locked the team in the dressing room and he is losing the rag with with them.

But thats not his style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

The Problem with the Bolded is Rodgers' Politicking.

We could Buy a Player, but it doesn't mean that Rodgers would be Playing him.

Let's say all the LFC Fans' Wishes came True, and we've bought Witsel in Jan as an Upgrade to CM.

Now, would Rodgers play him or would he still Persist with Gerrard? Sadly, I think we all know the Answer to that.

Or even Worse, he drops Lucas, who should be 1st Name in the Teamsheet based on Merit, and plays both Witsel and Gerrard as Mids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

no Skerts, Johnston or Lovren, so what is the excuse today, its not the players at the back that is the problem, the problem is the tactics.
    why so many changes again, Markovic is worth a start based on his recent performances, we lack something when SG plays, its SG that should have been taken off not Lucas, bit that is never going to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

On a positive note, Can is a good footballer. Strong, calm, deceptively quick once he gets going. Belgians are so last year, we need more Germans.

"We showed great character"

lol.

no Skerts, Johnston or Lovren, so what is the excuse today, its not the players at the back that is the problem, the problem is the tactics.
    why so many changes again, Markovic is worth a start based on his recent performances, we lack something when SG plays, its SG that should have been taken off not Lucas, but that is never going to happen

i think it will - but only once his contract is sorted, one way or another.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    But he's our best defender.

That probably says more about our CB options than it does about Sakho tbh.

As far as I'm concerned he makes a couple of bad mistakes every game - which is not good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement