Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

gosplan wrote: »
    Everyone dives. EVERYONE!!! it is just being professional. And in fairness, the Liverpool forum complaining about diving is a bit much after last year.

Anyway, my issue with Costa is that he tries to hurt people which is not cool just because you believe in doing anything to gain an advantage.

For example if racially abusing someone got them riled, would that be acceptable as the way to play the game?

That escalated quickly

Racial abuse isn't cool ever, but fair play on mentioning it.

Sorry, probably not the reply you were looking for

Actually......

5E12DBC82.jpg

Van Gaal ? The world was against him last week too.

Rodgers too in the interest of fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

rarnes1 wrote: »

Rodgers needs to add a level of snideyness to his touch-line behaviour and his interviews. Give a few conspiracy shouts every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Off topic but anyone know of any Android Apps that are good for flowing water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭rob316

djPSB wrote: »
    Off topic but anyone know of any Android Apps that are good for flowing water?

Kodi will run on it if you have a good enough phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I absolutely detest everything about chelsea fc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Yes...but the world is ALWAYS against Mourinho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

That escalated quickly

Racial abuse isn't cool ever, but fair play on mentioning it.

Sorry, probably not the reply you were looking for

Sorry you lost me. i think we're agreeing with each other, you just took me up wrong.

My point is based on someone earlier saying that 'pushing every edge' is how to play the game.

I'm just saying that if stamping on someone is pushing an edge, then so is racial abuse.

The reality though is that they're both scumbag acts and aren't necessary at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    This post is just more proof that you still think this is the 1980's... football is about playing football. Not stamping on people. Messi doesn't need to stamp on people is he playing it wrong?

Messi is irrelevant to the discussion - he's on a stratosphere that contains three footballers in the history of the game, and one of the three was very similar to Costa in his approach.

I believe in winning. Costa is a winner. Chelsea ground us the **** down last night and won. It was all very, very impressive and we need to learn from ALL of it.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Messi is irrelevant to the discussion - he's on a stratosphere that contains three footballers in the history of the game, and one of the three was very similar to Costa in his approach.

I believe in winning. Costa is a winner. Chelsea ground us the **** down last night and won. It was all very, very impressive and we need to learn from ALL of it.

Do you condone stamping on your opponent, yes or no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

rob316 wrote: »

i just don't give a ****!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

stomp cunce with your boots mates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I see where he is coming from if costa was banging in the goals for Liverpool I would not care who he was stamping on. Just like I didn't care what Suarez did that's was borderline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Enough about ****ing Costa already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

niallo27 wrote: »
    I see where he is coming from if costa was banging in the goals for Liverpool I would not care who he was stamping on. Just like I didn't care what Suarez did that's was borderline.

yeah its true i suppose. half of me says whatever it takes, other half wishes the game was more honest and sporting. honest and sporting probably wont win feck all:(

emo72 wrote: »
    yeah its true i suppose. half of me says whatever it takes, other half wishes the game was more honest and sporting. honest and sporting probably wont win feck all:(

Not with the pressure that players and managers are under. It's win at all costs with the money involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Ground us down, what utter nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

shamrock55 wrote: »

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

The second stamp on Skertl was pure filth; looking down at Skittle's leg as he came down, made sure he didn't miss with the stamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

shamrock55 wrote: »

I like the Reggae/Ska tune they play before kickoff, not sure if there is lyrics but I just like the sound of it.

As for everything else, I wouldn't miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lol. Coutois won them the tie over the 2 games. Chelsea were fortunate that our finishing was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I like the Reggae/Ska tune they play before kickoff, not sure if there is lyrics but I just like the sound of it.

As for everything else, I wouldn't miss it.

The Chris Jericho entrance is great aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Val Venis had the best entrance. I watch it a lot. A lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

MD1990 wrote: »
    Lol. Coutois won them the tie over the 2 games. Chelsea were fortunate that our finishing was terrible.

At the end of the day though, we played for 210 minutes, they scored against us twice, we didn't score against them at all.

They ground us down in that they were happy to soak up the pressure whenever we were on the attack, and limited us to only a few real chances. They managed the game well from their perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    At the end of the day though, we played for 210 minutes, they scored against us twice, we didn't score against them at all.

They ground us down in that they were happy to soak up the pressure whenever we were on the attack, and limited us to only a few real chances. They managed the game well from their perspective.

No they didn't grind us down in any way. IF we had Sturridge Chelsea would have played the same game. IF we had Sturridge we'd be in the final.

To use a boxing phrase, it was close but clear. They deserved their win but just about!

• Advertisement

Yes we did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

What am I missing here? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just had a look at the Chelsea thread oh dear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The second stamp on Skertl was pure filth; looking down at Skittle's leg as he came down, made sure he didn't miss with the stamp.

See he got away with that one as the ref will say he dealt with the incident even though he was clearly talking to and booking Lucas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mosstin wrote: »
    What am I missing here? :confused:
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Yes we did.

Oops, slipped my mind! I'm after becoming an awful negative bastard this season, even forgetting the good moments!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Man City invented that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Odds on Sturridge returning for West Ham match?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

doc_17 wrote: »
    Odds on Sturridge returning for West Ham match?

I'll be surprised if he is not on the bench at least.

I saw you again tonight

You seemed happy

Even though it hurts me so
    It's good to see you smile again

You seemed so blue when u left me
    It wasn't you

I've tried to move on
    but like you did I was left behind once more
    A want away lover
    Who cut through me with a bite

It's good to see you red again
    Even if it is not mine
    I hope we met again some day
    Liverpool's number 9

Fernando x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Too soon man ... too soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I saw you again tonight

You seemed happy

It wasn't you

I've tried to move on
    A want away lover

Even if it is not mine
    Liverpool's number 9

Fernando x

You've got the wrong striker there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I saw you again tonight

You seemed happy

It wasn't you

I've tried to move on
    A want away lover

Even if it is not mine
    Liverpool's number 9

Fernando x

Oh deary me...

mosstin wrote: »
    You've got the wrong striker there.

Hence the 'I was left behind once more' line referring to Luis :P

Oh deary me...

Wow, even when I clearly joke at my own expense you'll sly your way in to the thread to make a dig. One more pointless comment aimed at opposition supporters so that Will I Amnt can sleep soundly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Wow, even when I clearly joke at my own expense you'll sly your way in to the thread to make a dig. One more pointless comment aimed at opposition supporters so that Will I Amnt can sleep soundly.

Ahahaha, get over yourself, only having a laugh. I thought the type of people that made those posts were only found in certain corners of the web, never thought I'd encounter one in the wild.

I'll try and enter the thread less slyly the next time, maybe I'll press the screen extra hard so you'll know I'm coming...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

All this morale high ground stuff but people don't get Lloyd's point.

The stamp is a by-product of Costa's winning mentality.

He was letting his opponent know not to mess with him or you will lose. Sometimes it goes outside of the rules but it gives Costa a psychological edge over opponents and this is a big advantage when you are already a talented footballer.

It's no different to how Roy Keane ploughed into Marc Overmars in the first minute against Holland in WC qualifier in 2001.
    Keane was being cynically clever as he calculated that he wouldn't get sent off in the 1st minute whilst at the same time putting fear into his opponents.
    Nobody and I mean nobody, criticised Keane for it despite it being an awful challenge that "has no part of the game".

Suarez's behaviour was similar and he got defended here all the time so supporters can't have it both ways.

Winning players go out to do battle and indiscretions such as stamping, headbutting and even biting (a tad extreme) are going to happen with fired up athletes who want to win. Cantona and Maradona are other examples of this mentality.
    The sport won't be the same if it lost those characters. Otherwise go watch basketball.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just read that we are flirting with 2 lads from Hannover, 1 a 26 year old midfielder who is apparently having a stormer this year.
    The other a young winger also having a good season.

I havent been following the German kickball this year so no idea about either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Since when 2004 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

murpho999 wrote: »

He was letting his opponent know not to mess with him or you will lose. Sometimes it goes outside of the rules but it gives Costa a psychological edge over opponents and this is a big advantage when you are already a talented footballer.

Stamping sometimes goes outside the rules?
    Winning players go out to do battle and indiscretions such as stamping, headbutting and even biting (a tad extreme) are going to happen with fired up athletes who want to win. Cantona and Maradona are other examples of this mentality.
    The sport won't be the same if it lost those characters. Otherwise go watch basketball.

Costa's stamping was not an indiscretion. It was a calculated move.

ush wrote: »
    Stamping sometimes goes outside the rules?

Didn't say that, I said competitively aggressive players do things outside the rules including stamping, fouling, biting, head-butting, diving, attacking yobs in the stand, swearing etc.

It's no different to how Roy Keane ploughed into Marc Overmars in the first minute against Holland in WC qualifier in 2001.
    Keane was being cynically clever as he calculated that he wouldn't get sent off in the 1st minute whilst at the same time putting fear into his opponents.
    Nobody and I mean nobody, criticised Keane for it despite it being an awful challenge that "has no part of the game".

Suarez's behaviour was similar and he got defended here all the time so supporters can't have it both ways.

Never defended Suarez, I said it was time for him to go after the last biting incident. Luckily for Liverpool it didn't happen under there watch so they didn't have to deal with the embarrassment again.

I like Costa 90% of his game is brilliant same with Suarez. Saying that's how a man plays the game or he's a warrior is just BS to try to excuse violent behaviour.

Biting or stamping isn't acceptable in any aspect of society including. A thug and coward does someone on the ground.

If Skrtel or Can had there foot planted and that clown came down on them, and tore their ankle ligaments, would ye be defending Costa so much? Doubt it :rolleyes:

It's dangerous behaviour don't know why you can't just acknowledge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Didn't say that, I said competitively aggressive players do things outside the rules including stamping, fouling, biting, head-butting, diving, attacking yobs in the stand, swearing etc.

And then get themselves banned for potential title deciders.

The hard part is being competitively aggressive and not being a gouger. Thats admirable.

Never defended Suarez, I said it was time for him to go after the last biting incident. Luckily for Liverpool it didn't happen under there watch so they didn't have to deal with the embarrassment again.

I like Costa 90% of his game is brilliant same with Suarez. Saying that's how a man plays the game or he's a warrior is just BS to try to excuse violent behaviour.

Biting or stamping isn't acceptable in any aspect of society including. A thug and coward does someone on the ground.

If Skrtel or Can had there foot planted and that clown came down on them, and tore their ankle ligaments, would ye be defending Costa so much? Doubt it :rolleyes:

It's dangerous behaviour don't know why you can't just acknowledge it.

I never said it wasn't dangerous behaviour.

Expecting footballers to behave within normal society values is just wrong in my opinion.
    The game is a competitive and aggressive sport and society doesn't really work that way so you're going to get different behaviour on the pitch.
    That's why the game has rules and Costa is being charged etc.

I'm not defending Costa per se but making the point that the game will always have these type of characters that go over the edge. All this moral high ground stuff is nonsense in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Sorry but i have to disagree.

Thuggery is often excused by this assumption that its part of a "winning mentality" or a win at all cost mentality.

Its not, its thuggery end of. There are plenty of players who take to the pitch past and present who had a win at all costs mentality but didnt resort to thuggery to prove it.

There are plenty of winning players with that mentality who played the game and played the game hard but never resorted to acts such as stamping, its a cowardly act, not the actions of a fired up winner.

And the likes of Suarez was no different, a scumbag at the end of the day, a great player but a scumbag and i personally dont understand the adulation some Liverpool fans have for him.

Going in for that 50:50 challenge when you know your going to get hurt, putting your body on the line knowing your going to get hurt. Thats a winning mentality. Thats what football is about, thats the physical side. Slyly taking advantage of an opponent when he is in a vulnerable position to stamp on him in the hope of causing injury is thuggery.

• Advertisement

I never said it wasn't dangerous behaviour.

Expecting footballers to behave within normal society values is just wrong in my opinion.
    The game is a competitive and aggressive sport and society doesn't really work that way so you're going to get different behaviour on the pitch.
    That's why the game has rules and Costa is being charged etc.

I'm not defending Costa per se but making the point that the game will always have these type of characters that go over the edge. All this moral high ground stuff is nonsense in my opinion.

And I love characters in the game, I'm not a fan of the ultra professional era but I draw the line when you go out to intentionally injure someone.

I've played the game if you do that on the pitch to me I'm going to knock you out and if Can or Skrtel wanted to do the same I'd be all for it.
    We have seen it time and time again with clumsy tackles, if their foot is planted and you stamp on someone you will very likely rupture ligaments which is a long spell on the sidelines.

You can be aggressive and own your opponent without been a thug, that's all my point is. Glossing over it is BS.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement