Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

rob316 wrote: »
    And I love characters in the game, I'm not a fan of the ultra professional era but I draw the line when you go out to intentionally injure someone.

I've played the game if you do that on the pitch to me I'm going to knock you out and if Can or Skrtel wanted to do the same I'd be all for it.
    We have seen it time and time again with clumsy tackles, if their foot is planted and you stamp on someone you will very likely rupture ligaments which is a long spell on the sidelines.

You can be aggressive and own your opponent without been a thug, that's all my point is. Glossing over it is BS.

Seriously, how can you complain about Costa and then condone this. That is totally contradictory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Wait a minute.. Suarez and Costa are NOT going in the same category. Costa is built like a ****house door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

murpho999 wrote: »
    Seriously, how can you complain about Costa and then condone this. That is totally contradictory.

No its not contradictory, its defending yourself against someone who premeditated to injure you. Big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Going back to last night over Costa, I missed out.
    I would say that playing the game like Cista does, is not one should hold up as being a great example.
    The man spat in his hand and rubbed it on his face and then implied another player spat at him.
    That's a bit more not of the moment than bitting someone in the heat of the moment or diving.
    I like Costa as a player, as I always like heels but I think he goes a bit too far. Two stamps in one game, which they were winning in the tie. That's not how I would like anyone to okay the game and being held up as an example, bloody madness.

Throwing your body on the line, being physical, never saying die and just a pure example of a classic masculine role model and how the game should be played.
    Look no further than Branislav Ivanovic.
    No theatrics from Branislav, just gets on with it. Suarez bit him, comes on and says Suarez is a sound lad in the media - maybe he recognised the same all consuming desire to win in Suarez.
    Unlike Costa and Suarez, Ivanovic's desire hasn't been twisted and he has a code of Honour.
    Pulls back Sterling the other night and the ref books him, what does Branislav do? Well he shakes the refs hand and tells him, 'That was a fair cop, well done on catching me.'

He's a battler, can always be relied upon, hasn't the technical attributes others have but he has the will and desire and gives it his all. Not adverse to the darker side of the game but he hasn't let it consume him like Darth Philatelist Costa and the other Sith Lord Darth Chewy Louie.

People who like to hark back to how the game was played by 'real men' and want to put players up on a pedalstool due to their desire, should be praising Ivanovic and wishing that Costa and Suarez could keep their mad desire to win but couple it with the chivalrous feets that Branislav displays, rather than their unchivalrous deeds.
    That is of course unless those two play for your club.

The long and short of it, you can keep your Chansome, I'd rather spend the night playing Risk with Branislav.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

You can't defend what Costa did on Can and despite the laughable claims coming from the Chelsea thread, he did of course mean it.

But I do like the way Costa plays the game. His battles with Skrtel are brilliant to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Ivanovich is as big a diver and fake as hazard..just does it less often....hard man image but dives when threatened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ivanovich shaking the ref's hand after being booked towards the end of extra time was fantastic - a very manly moment. Am a huge fan.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Ivanovich shaking the ref's hand after being booked towards the end of extra time was fantastic - a very manly moment. Am a huge fan.

I said as much above.
    Live by the sword die by the sword.
    Much more worthy role model of how the game can be play hard and on the edge than Costa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I've seen him do that before. I respect that.
    "Yes I fouled him, yes it was a yellow. Lets get on with the game".
    Imagine how easier a ref's life would be (and how better the game would become) if there were more like this instead of all the moaning, whinging and cheating going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ivanovic is turning into a weakness for Chelsea. Has been poor for them recently.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Ahahaha, get over yourself, only having a laugh. I thought the type of people that made those posts were only found in certain corners of the web, never thought I'd encounter one in the wild.

I'll try and enter the thread less slyly the next time, maybe I'll press the screen extra hard so you'll know I'm coming...

I'm sure the irony of what's in bold given the circumstances will be lost on you so I won't waste my time.

Yawn at the rest of your post, an admirable attempt to be witty though tbf.

It really was top class Bantz that deserved more.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92455355&postcount=5865

Thank it up lads. Only 12 thanks since the start of our campaign for Hangball. Good but can and will do better.

Ivanovic post Suarez bite was pretty sound about it too. He could have made a far bigger deal. Think he accepted the apology and moved on.

Hard as nails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Fake outrage. Ya gotta love it.

Ivanovic spot on in this one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

MD1990 wrote: »
    Ivanovic is turning into a weakness for Chelsea. Has been poor for them recently.

Can't comment too much, haven't been paying attention to his individual performances. Either way though, what a career he's had. A winner in a team of winners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I'm sure the irony of what's in bold given the circumstances will be lost on you so I won't waste my time.

Yawn at the rest of your post, an admirable attempt to be witty though tbf.

I don't know your posting style at all, nothing was obvious about what you posted. The first time I was even aware of your existence here was the faux-outrage about my Costa comment in the match-thread, if that was anything to go by then anything is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Real Madrid renaming their stadium for €500M.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31032158

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Real Madrid renaming their stadium for €500M.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31032158

Windows 10?

"Liverpool announce 50 euro deal with MS for Windows 2000 Arena"

edit - I thought they were doing a big deal with Microsoft? So then Real are now just another Petro-dollar club, roll on fusion power I say.

I don't get it, where the heck are my thanks! I brought up both points about the hand shaking and the no big deal about the bite and nada.

nOjMhGy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

BBC website have highlights of the 2001 FA cup final up today if anyone is looking for some lunch-break material

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30718650

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭deeks

x43r0 wrote: »
    BBC website have highlights of the 2001 FA cup final up today if anyone is looking for some lunch-break material

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30718650

Good watch. Oh the irony of Henry complaining about a hand ball :-)

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Just read that we are flirting with 2 lads from Hannover, 1 a 26 year old midfielder who is apparently having a stormer this year.
    The other a young winger also having a good season.

I havent been following the German kickball this year so no idea about either.

I have no idea why Liverpool would spend yet more money on yet another attacking midfielder - Lars Stindl being that man. The other player is Leonardo Bittencourt and again he is not needed - primarily a right winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Good New on Sakho's injury, straight from the horses mouth

https://twitter.com/mamadousakho3/status/560786223720333312/photo/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I have no idea why Liverpool would spend yet more money on yet another attacking midfielder - Lars Stindl being that man. The other player is Leonardo Bittencourt and again he is not needed - primarily a right winger.

If Chadsome has proved anything it's that we need more Germans.

Turtyturd wrote: »

Yeah but only the right ones - Bitterncourt (age 21) would be pointless with Markovic and Ibe in the squad. He'd just be another blocker in the way of the even younger guys like Canos and Wilson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

What Costa did was stupid and despicable. I don't understand people defending it or claiming it is what a winner would do. He is a winner, but that has nothing to do with stamping on players. Much like how Suarez was a winner, but not as a result of biting players. Suppose the ref sees Costas stamp and sends him off, is he still a winner? Or a stupid thug?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

daithijjj wrote: »
    He was hardly dumped, his contract expired and Hughes spent 18m on Roque Santa Cruz iirc. He was their young player of the year and they just let him go because they had so much money for instant gratification signings. Didnt Mancini say he would never have let him go if he was in charge at the time?

As for Chelsea, many of their good young players never get a sniff in the first team. Was it 32 players on loan last year?. Didnt Sturridge play over 40 games for them the season before we got him?

Was it good or was it lucky in the end?

He didn't sign a new contract with City because they wouldn't match the £50,000 a week Chelsea offered him.

MR NINE wrote: »
    What Costa did was stupid and despicable. I don't understand people defending it or claiming it is what a winner would do. He is a winner, but that has nothing to do with stamping on players. Much like how Suarez was a winner, but not as a result of biting players. Suppose the ref sees Costas stamp and sends him off, is he still a winner? Or a stupid thug?

Maybe if you read the posts correctly you'd see nobody actually condoned his stamp. It was his willing to give absolutely everything for 90 mins same as Suarez that was commended

If he gets into situations like the other night, so be it,who cares. Give me a stamping biter who gives 100% over the likes of Ballotelli any day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He knew what he was doing when he saw Can on the ground. I said in the thread instantly he would be banned and he has been. It's simple really. There is no need to dissect it. Frankly it doesn't deserve the discussion its getting. He misbehaved, he got punished and rightfully so.
    the kelt wrote: »
    And the likes of Suarez was no different, a scumbag at the end of the day, a great player but a scumbag and i personally dont understand the adulation some Liverpool fans have for him.

He scored goals. That's it. By and large football fans aren't the brightest. The majority let theirs hearts rule their heads and will forgive almost anything if the player is winning them matches. Suarez dived and bit his way through his Anfield career and he still had people in here defend him. You know who you are btw.

Costa could rip a guys head off and 95% of the Chelsea fans wont care. It's the age we live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Chelsea are huffing refusing todo a pre game press conference and Costa now challenging the charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,932 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yeah but only the right ones - Bitterncourt (age 21) would be pointless with Markovic and Ibe in the squad. He'd just be another blocker in the way of the even younger guys like Canos and Wilson.

We should be looking at some Germans alright like one of the Bender brothers especially if Lucas is off in the summer or Howedes for the defence who can play across the back line.

The other German I would be looking at was the one linked yesterday or the day before ter Stegen.. Can't see it happening with the Barca tranfer ban thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Chelsea are huffing refusing todo a pre game press conference and Costa now challenging the charge

mourinho_conspiracy.jpg?itok=Pa81dBCM

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I don't get it, where the heck are my thanks! I brought up both points about the hand shaking and the no big deal about the bite and nada.

nOjMhGy.gif

Link me that sh1t! As is evident with my thorough and efficient dealing with Hangball's u thanked genius post, I'd be interested in doing the same for you.

*I've PMd you my PayPal details. As The Joker once said "If you're good at something never do it for free". €1 per every thank I get you will suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Not a chance will he win that appeal, YOU CAN ******* SEE IT ON VIDEO.

Mourinho is crazy. A genius, but crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Maybe if you read the posts correctly you'd see nobody actually condoned his stamp. It was his willing to give absolutely everything for 90 mins same as Suarez that was commended

If he gets into situations like the other night, so be it,who cares. Give me a stamping biter who gives 100% over the likes of Ballotelli any day

If he got caught I'd say plenty people would care. Like I said I agree he gives everything on the pitch and it's a great quality. However doing stupid and violent things shouldn't be brushed aside, it's an awful trait. You can be 100% committed without being a scumbag, people mentioned ivanovic as a good example, he's never found wanting, always gives his all and is a terrific player and a winner. I could be mistaken, but ive never seen him resort to the kind of antics Costa does, you don't have to have an idiotic nasty streak to be a winner.

Suppose Costa got sent off after ten mins and Chelsea get knocked out, people would care. Suppose he broke cans leg, people would care. Suppose he misses this weekend's crucial league game, which looks almost certain to happen, people are gonna care. If one of our players needlessly stamped on someone and got banned for a crucial game, as well as two further games, and we dropped important points, plenty people on here would be annoyed

Don't see the Suarez/Costa comparisons myself despite what the 'I don't support anyone so therefore I believe I am right on every issue' brigade (you know who you are) would want you to believe.

Suarez was a victim of the FA's ethnocentrism, and defended himself from an elbow to the face. Don't recall him being charged with stamping anyone either...worst thing he did during his time here was giving the finger to the Fulham fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

If Costa contests the charges and loses does that mean he gets banned for an extra game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    If Costa contests the charges and loses does that mean he gets banned for an extra game?

Not a certainty but he can be, Balo only got a one game ban instead of two as he came out straight away and apologised. FA love to be mollycoddled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Don't see the Suarez/Costa comparisons myself despite what the 'I don't support anyone so therefore I believe I am right on every issue' brigade (you know who you are) would want you to believe.

Suarez was a victim of the FA's ethnocentrism, and defended himself from an elbow to the face. Don't recall him being charged with stamping anyone either...worst thing he did during his time here was giving the finger to the Fulham fans.

Yeah, Suarez was as innocent as they come alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Nerdlingr wrote: »

I think it does, but also does it mean he'd be available to face city due to the charges having to be reviewed?

Panthro wrote: »
    Yeah, Suarez was as innocent as they come alright!

Well, he was guilty of sticking his finger up at a group of fans...I'd condemn him for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Not a chance will he win that appeal, YOU CAN ******* SEE IT ON VIDEO.

Mourinho is crazy. A genius, but crazy.

Probably worth it to be honest - if they contest it, he can likely play the City game in the meantime. Even if he gets a 4 game ban, they're 4 easier games. The City game could be huge for the season, so having him available for that is paramount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Well, he was guilty of sticking his finger up at a group of fans...I'd condemn him for that.

The worst thing Suarez ever did was give Arsenal the "come hither" eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Probably worth it to be honest - if they contest it, he can likely play the City game in the meantime. Even if he gets a 4 game ban, they're 4 easier games. The City game could be huge for the season, so having him available for that is paramount.
    Hearing has been fast tracked for tomorrow so he won't be playing the City game.

The worst thing Suarez ever did was give Arsenal the "come hither" eyes.

Only Arsenal fans think he was ever going to Arsenal.

Edit: They still think it...insert dumb and dumber pic.

Only Arsenal fans think he was ever going to Arsenal.

Edit: They still think it...insert dumb and dumber pic.

I'll do one better.

Suarez is a scumbag, end of. What he used to do to John Ruddy was unforgivable, imo. Suarez broke that man down 'til there was nothing left of him and enjoyed every second of it too, sadistic so it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Suarez never did a 'boo boo' on the pitch?

Panthro wrote: »
    Suarez never did a 'boo boo' on the pitch?

No never, all he did was score.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/07/luis-suarezs-10-greatest-goals-liverpool/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement