Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Kirby wrote: »
    Both are good players who constantly misbehave on the pitch and yet their own fans ignore and childishly defend it because they score goals. its an accurate comparison. Comparisons to Sanchez because he "works hard" are lazy and inaccurate because he behaves himself. He doesn't stamp or bite other players.

And everybody believes they are right in their own opinion so if that was meant as a criticism, its a fairly meagre one.

And how is martin skrtel on 90k a week? Bloody hell.....

Compared to other stars of WWF, it's quite meagre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ings would be a very good signing. He won't be coming in this window as he is out of contract at the end of the season and Burnley and ings have said he won't move. There would be a tribunal for the fee due to his age and your probably looking at 5 million. He is a player that would suit our style of play as if you ever watch burnley play they are probably the hardest working team in the league. He gives all that and has a bit of quality aswell and a great attitude. He would be far more suitable than borini balo or lambert to our style of play and with half supporting burnley I would class him as a better prospect than Jay rodriguez when he was at burnley. He isn't going to be first choice with sturridge fit but would be a great option off the bench and it's a no brainer for the price.Ive seen him live a couple of times most recently against newcastle new years day and he was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd like ings here all day long 7 goals is better than any of our "international" strikers.

Most importantly he suits our play. It would still have to be sturridge, x top striker, ings and origi going into next season. Top striker is a must in this window never mind the next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

This would be a really smart buy for us. Pacy, good attitude knows where the goal is and cheap. These kind of deals also help with FFP, a thing Chelsea are doing well with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What is it with us and going after average in-form Premier League players? Would Ings ever be a target for United, Arsenal, Chelsea or City?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The Ings to Liverpool story looks genuine.

Hmm.

He fits the FSG profile, and at least would fit the style of the team. I can't shake the thought that he could easily turn out like Borini.

Buying to loan back to Burnley is a farce though. We need a striker NOW. If that's the deal we should save our money and wait for the summer to buy some proven quality then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Better option than Berahino at least. Ings can do pretty much everything better and he's a great worker and lightning quick as well. Never going to be a world class player or anywhere close but he'd be a decent squad player and a better option off the bench than Lambert. Never hurts to get a talented young English player for less than £10m either. This is a low risk signing, with the potential of a good reward. Can't go wrong, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

martyos121 wrote: »
    Better option than Berahino at least. Ings can do pretty much everything better and he's a great worker and lightning quick as well. Never going to be a world class player or anywhere close but he'd be a decent squad player and a better option off the bench than Lambert. Never hurts to get a talented young English player for less than £10m either. This is a low risk signing, with the potential of a good reward. Can't go wrong, IMO.

I admit I haven't seen as much of Ings as Berahino but I'd have thought the WBA man was a level or so above personally!

Regardless, surprised more people aren't slating the the possibility of signing Ings. Sure Borini and Lambert scored as many goals last season for better clubs.

EDIT: Sorry I see Ings would be free but transfer fees aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I just dont get the point of loaning him back for the rest of the season. That makes no sense to me at all. If it comes off we would have one main striker (who seems to be made of biscuits) who has been injured for most of the season followed by a back up in the form of a converted winger.

Yet we would have 2 players out on loan who could actually do a job for us helping 2 other teams.

Ings is no world beater but give me Ings ahead of Ricky Lambert, the italian statue Balotelli or i run around a lot Borini. I know which of those players id be happier to see taking the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

the kelt wrote: »
    I just dont get the point of loaning him back for the rest of the season. That makes no sense to me at all. If it comes off we would have one main striker (who seems to be made of biscuits) who has been injured for most of the season followed by a back up in the form of a converted winger.

Yet we would have 2 players out on loan who could actually do a job for us helping 2 other teams.

Ings is no world beater but give me Ings ahead of Ricky Lambert, the italian statue Balotelli or i run around a lot Borini. I know which of those players id be happier to see taking the pitch.

Well he is out of contract at the end of the season so its more like pay X money now and avoid a tribunal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

he wouldn't be loaned back..he's contracted till end of season when he joins us....free..signs pre contract with us for free or small fee to stave off any bidding war in summer...save a few mill... its clever business...don't get the disapproval tbh

noodler wrote: »
    I admit I haven't seen as much of Ings as Berahino but I'd have thought the WBA man was a level or so above personally!

Regardless, surprised more people aren't slating the the possibility of signing Ings. Sure Borini and Lambert scored as many goals last season for better clubs.

Its easier to score more goals for a better club so what ings is doing is more impressive he doesnt get great service. Lambert and borini scored a lot of pens last year aswell. Ings is much cheaper than berahino due to his contract situation and has a much better attitude and hunger for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I think if we've learned anything from this season it's that there is no such thing as 3rd or 4th choice. If Ings is bought he will inevitably play a large amount of games.

It's worrying where we are looking to reinforce. Unless we buy a top class level striker to complement these three then no-way in hell would I be comfortable going with Ings, Sturridge & Origi next season. We will surely sell Borini, & Lambert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

he wouldn't be loaned back..he's contracted till end of season when he joins us....free..signs pre contract with us for free or small fee to stave off any bidding war in summer...save a few mill... its clever business...don't get the disapproval tbh

The issue is we need a striker now for the remainder of the season.

Yeah we save money by waiting until the summer or we pay to buy him now. Buy him now and the money spent could well be made back many times over if he helps us finish in the top 4. He isnt going to do that playing for Burnley.

We have one striker worthy of the name, its a position where we are in desperate need, thats the issue yet we may have 2 players who could make a difference playing for 2 other clubs.

Its easier to score more goals for a better club so what ings is doing is more impressive he doesnt get great service. Lambert and borini scored a lot of pens last year aswell. Ings is much cheaper than berahino due to his contract situation and has a much better attitude and hunger for the game.

Yeah but we also have a 6 month EPL sample size worth of games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

What is it with us and going after average in-form Premier League players? Would Ings ever be a target for United, Arsenal, Chelsea or City?

Will we ever have the financial clout of United, Arsenal, Chelsea or City? :rolleyes:

Until we do (a new stadium and a PL title or CL final) we have to cut our cloth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Ings is exactly the sort of player we should be signing. People who disagree are probably the same ones who turned their noses down at Bony in the summer and were delighted about the Balotelli signing instead.

Ings is not a big name continental striker but he's a young quick goalscorer with a lot of tools. Kid loves scoring goals. There's plenty of players who score well at Championship level but look lost after getting promoted. I saw enough of him in the Championship to make me think he'd make the step up and so far he has, always getting in positions to score and the kid can actually finish. Give me that over our current options every week.

Remember we'll be looking to replace Borini, Balotelli and Lambert next season, not all are going to be big signings. Origi + Ings + A N Other to go with Sturridge already looks an upgrade on this season. He's not Suarez's replacement, nobody's saying that, but there's outrage as if he is. Less than 10m for a 22 yr old who's already been playing and scoring in England sounds good to me

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Those leaked figures are surely wrong/made up. They are lower than I expect anyhow, plus Sterling is not contracted until 2018. He only has 2 years left on his current deal at the end of the season by all reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

BenEadir wrote: »
    Will we ever have the financial clout of United, Arsenal, Chelsea or City? :rolleyes:

Until we do (a new stadium and a PL title or CL final) we have to cut our cloth.

This year should bring us pretty close to Arsenal.

We were already well ahead in commercial (which counteracted some of the huge gulf in match-day).

Bringing TV-revenue closer to parity for this season because of our CL qualification should show the way forward.

We're a lot bigger worldwide and have plenty of fans left to leverage for more and more money (sad but that's the way it is with everyone else).

It might take the increase in stadium size but, even if we flitter in and out of the CL, we're going to gain ground on them fairly consistently as things stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

A lot of people seem to be saying that Ings would be a good option, but they also assume we'll be bringing in another big name.

If Ings comes in, that'll be it.

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Ings is exactly the sort of player we should be signing. People who disagree are probably the same ones who turned their noses down at Bony in the summer and were delighted about the Balotelli signing instead.

You're either with me or against me brah!

On the topic of Ings, I'm not against signing him. He seems to be fairly low risk and a decent player from what I know, but my worry is that him and Origi along with Sturridge and probably Lambert will make up our striking options next year. It's better than we have at our disposal now in all likelyhood, but it's still not good enough if we do have any pretensions of approaching 80 points next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Danny Ings.

Transfer committee or Brendan Rodgers signing only time will tell.

Yeah, depends on how good he ends up being obv. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Less than 10m for a 22 yr old who's already been playing and scoring in England sounds good to me

Didn't realise he was that young!! I'd say the fee will be something like 5 or 6 million and you could knock almost a million off that from the wages that Burnley will surely pay during the loan so that's an immediate saving.

Don't really know if this would be a good move or not. Yes he's young and english which immediately adds value to him but what is the success rate on signings we've made from bottom half teams? The last couple of years have been shocking for these kind of signings. I do think he's a natural goal scorer alright as mentioned already and the fact he can score goals and create chances for himself in a pretty poor and uncreative team like Burnley says something but is he the kind of player we need? I don't think so....

Sturridge will get us the goals when fit but we need someone in the Suarez mould who can both score AND create chances. So in saying that, Ings would be a Sturridge replacement when injured but so will Origi so that still leaves us without a creative influence in the strikeforce.

This may split opinions but if Sturridge can stay fit for the rest of the season, I'd like Gerrard to be played in the hole behind him (as was done in the Torres days) as Stevie's pretty much finished as a defensive mid especially with Lucas and Henderson in form.

Time will tell....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ings is not a big name continental striker but he's a young quick goalscorer with a lot of tools. Kid loves scoring goals. There's plenty of players who score well at Championship level but look lost after getting promoted. I saw enough of him in the Championship to make me think he'd make the step up and so far he has, always getting in positions to score and the kid can actually finish. Give me that over our current options every week.

Remember we'll be looking to replace Borini, Balotelli and Lambert next season, not all are going to be big signings. Origi + Ings + A N Other to go with Sturridge already looks an upgrade on this season. He's not Suarez's replacement, nobody's saying that, but there's outrage as if he is. Less than 10m for a 22 yr old who's already been playing and scoring in England sounds good to me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Ricketts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

David Connolly was the one who sprung to my mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

At the end of the day, Ings is a way for the club to not spend the money needed, and simply hope it works out.

He's not the game changer we need, no matter what way it's spun.

If he's part of a strategy that also involves getting in proven quality, then it's not quite as bad, but it's still fairly underwhelming.

And sending him back on loan? Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Looks like another bargain basement signing to me.

I'm not totally against ings but I would just like fsg to sign someone that supporters can get excited about. If ings turns out to be a replacement for Borini that's fine, but we need to get a replacement for Suarez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

5starpool wrote: »
    On the topic of Ings, I'm not against signing him. He seems to be fairly low risk and a decent player from what I know, but my worry is that him and Origi along with Sturridge and probably Lambert will make up our striking options next year. It's better than we have at our disposal now in all likelyhood, but it's still not good enough if we do have any pretensions of approaching 80 points next season.
    What does it say about the club when fans caveat opinions of potential signings with the level of risk?

We were heavily linked with him before Rodgers arrival but it all went quiet afterwards and now that his contract is expiring the club are supposedly making a move. This suggests to me that signing Ings now is a transfer committee decision, in which case he may very well find himself to be fourth or fifth choice if Rodgers chooses to play silly games with the team selections.

I think that until the stadium redevelopment is complete we will be shopping for players in the bargain bin. I'm not opposed to signing the likes of Delph, Milner and Ings but the transfer policy doesn't inspire confidence in the short-term ambitions of the club.

SlickRic wrote: »
    At the end of the day, Ings is a way for the club to not spend the money needed, and simply hope it works out.

He's not the game changer we need, no matter what way it's spun.

If he's part of a strategy that also involves getting in proven quality, then it's not quite as bad, but it's still fairly underwhelming.

And sending him back on loan? Ridiculous.

From what I've read he has always said he wants to see out the season at burnley. They have also said he won't be sold so it's just a way of getting him on board for next season that keeps all parties happy. Although if he has said he wants to sign it would be cheaper to just get him on a tribunal fee in the summer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

When we first were linked with Ings a year or so ago, I was all for it. He was someone who grabbed my attention in the Championship and I thought he would fit well with us. The one area of concern was whether he could do it in the EPL.
    He has proved that now. Put him in a team that are not stuggling as much and he will get more goals.
    Put him in our team now and I could pretty much guarantee he would have a better return by the end of the season as young Mario, young Fabio and young Ricky combined.

He's not the big name signing we all want...but neither was Sturridge and that tuned out pretty well (apart from the treatment table that has his grove in it).

And, he would be a much better option than signing nobody in January.

wouldn't b surprised to see konoplankya sign too on a free in the summer

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

wouldn't b surprised to see konoplankya sign too on a free in the summer

I though that Spurs are flirting with him and just about at the heavy petting stage?

Ings hasn't much pace. How would he slot into our setup when Ballotelli and Lambert can't?

He's a 1 in 3 striker for a poor team.

Lambert is superior to him tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

MR NINE wrote: »
    Hang on, ings' contract is up in the summer, but were gonna buy him for 7m and loan him back to burnley til the summer? Even though we could agree a deal now that would see him join us in the summer for nothing? I know were bad in the transfer market, but I refuse to believe were that bad!

Hes under 23 so afaik hes not free. LFC will have to pay some sort of development fee, could be anything but likely to be a few million....no idea how that is calculated....but pretty sure Burnley would be getting something

From what I've read he has always said he wants to see out the season at burnley. They have also said he won't be sold so it's just a way of getting him on board for next season that keeps all parties happy. Although if he has said he wants to sign it would be cheaper to just get him on a tribunal fee in the summer.

Burnley don't want him to go as it's possible he'll be the reason to keep them up. So it's basically worth 60m to them.

Hence this bizarre loan move.

Moving to Liverpool would be a bad move for his career imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I don't know much about ings except he's having a good season but if people noticed him 1 or 2 yrs ago and tried to sign i'll go with that
    Just i can't seem to get excited about anything re Liverpool the way this season has gone.
    "Get CL and we'll get top players etc etc" , no we failed in a 3 way competition with basle and ludo to qualify and failure to land a sanchez or that quality has cost us dearly.
    I do like BR and ,yes he's learning too , and has seemed to get the team working now but his treatment of borini in particular has cost him a little bit of respect in my eyes. Maybe it has a point and i'll give br the benefit there but now he needs to ease off the buzzword waffle and push for a proven player over a moneyball one. Last year, of the top teams pushing for cl 4 or 5 had new mangers bedding in so we had a chance to break back in , this year ? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Ings hasn't much pace. How would he slot into our setup when Ballotelli and Lambert can't?

He's a 1 in 3 striker for a poor team.

Lambert is superior to him tbh

That is very wrong. The lad is absolutely rapid, fastest player on the Burnley team and I'd say top 15 in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think there's miscommunication with Ayre and Rodgers again.

Last year Rodgers wanted a big name signing and we missed out on Mikhitaryan and Konopylanka

Now I think Rodgers spoke to him about rebuilding the side after Suarez with young attacking origins.

So next season we line up with Origi and Ings.

• Advertisement

cjmc wrote: »
    I don't know much about ings except he's having a good season but if people noticed him 1 or 2 yrs ago and tried to sign i'll go with that
    Just i can't seem to get excited about anything re Liverpool the way this season has gone.
    "Get CL and we'll get top players etc etc" , no we failed in a 3 way competition with basle and ludo to qualify and failure to land a sanchez or that quality has cost us dearly.
    I do like BR and ,yes he's learning too , and has seemed to get the team working now but his treatment of borini in particular has cost him a little bit of respect in my eyes. Maybe it has a point and i'll give br the benefit there but now he needs to ease off the buzzword waffle and push for a proven player over a moneyball one. Last year, of the top teams pushing for cl 4 or 5 had new mangers bedding in so we had a chance to break back in , this year ? :(

He has 7 goals in 21 apps.

Is that regarded as good? For Burnley perhaps.

He's cheap though and is probably on 15k a week so it's a cheap option for FSG of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

martyos121 wrote: »
    That is very wrong. The lad is absolutely rapid, fastest player on the Burnley team and I'd say top 15 in the league.

89 pace on FIFA - I'm sold :P

Boom_Bap wrote: »

And, he would be a much better option than signing nobody in January.

Agreed.

However, would signing him and loaning him back until the summer make sense?

It's now we need a striker.

Also, presuming we bring in proper quality in the summer he'll be pushed down to 3rd or 4th in the pecking order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

He has 7 goals in 21 apps.

Is that regarded as good? For Burnley perhaps.

He's cheap though and is probably on 15k a week so it's a cheap option for FSG of course

If it doesn't change what we need to do next summer - ie get rid of the deadwood like Borini and probably both of Balotelli and Lambert - and bring in a goalscorer that fits into the first 11, (which it shouldn't, because what else will we spend money on?) then there's no harm.

on Jono..he's been linked with a lot a of clubs..just have a feeling after he nearly joined us that we went back to him and said sit tight till the summer...just a hunch

Gbear wrote: »
    If it doesn't change what we need to do next summer - ie get rid of the deadwood like Borini and probably both of Balotelli and Lambert - and bring in a goalscorer that fits into the first 11, (which it shouldn't, because what else will we spend money on?) then there's no harm.

Is Ings much better than Ballotelli, Lambert and Borini though?

Would we be replacing old deadwood with new deadwood to sit on the bench and rot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Kevin Doyle also springs to mind.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think there's miscommunication with Ayre and Rodgers again.

Last year Rodgers wanted a big name signing and we missed out on Mikhitaryan and Konopylanka

Now I think Rodgers spoke to him about rebuilding the side after Suarez with young attacking origins.

So next season we line up with Origi and Ings.

This post should receive more anger at the puns contained within. I like the thought process though.

Weirdo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Burnley don't want him to go as it's possible he'll be the reason to keep them up. So it's basically worth 60m to them.

Hence this bizarre loan move.

Moving to Liverpool would be a bad move for his career imo

He'd be a squad player. Hard to see where he'd fit with him, Sturridge and Origi in the squad.

I haven't seen enough of him to give an opinion but it sounds like he'd be the replacement for Borini, so it couldn't end up worse! Origi would be more a Mario type with a brain and Sturridge our main striker assuming he keeps fit.

Still needs ANother seeing as 3 could be gone this summer, but it has loads of potential so that's probably our lot.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement