Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Bony to City.
    Cuadrado to Chelsea.
    Clyne to United.
    Paulista to Arsenal.

Danny fuggin' Ings to Liverpool on a free. But it's ok lads, we're going to be getting a world class striker in over the Summer. Probably Messi.

Anyone saying Ings is a great signing, but then starts moaning because we aren't in the top 4 is a hypocrite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We had our chance with Bony, too tight to pay up though. We only get one chance with a player like that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I don't really care if Ings is signed tbh.

I will care though if we line up next season with Sturridge, Ings, Balotelli, Borini and Lambert up front.

We need to be thinking a little bigger IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ings is a Villa signing, a West Ham signing, a player who'd do alright at a mid-table team with little ambition and get maybe 10 to 14 goals a season. He'll have a hot streak some time around December when there are Match of the Day calls for him to get into the England squad and then he'll go back to being a 1 goal in 3 games player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ings is not a signing you make if you're serious about competing in a league with Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and City.

ask yourself something; would any of those teams go for him right now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

On a side note, Balotelli is really sh1t isnt he. Carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Knex. wrote: »
    Kevin Doyle also springs to mind.

Giles Barnes was a bright spark for Derby during their awful spell in the PL yet fell by the way side.

Ashley Young came through at Watford and carved a good PL career for himself.

These players can be very hit or miss alright. The one problem I'd have with Ings if I was a Liverpool fan is that Origi will be there next season as the young striker that you'd hope to develop further, it's not really ideal having another one on top of him with Sturridge and potentially another proven striker there as well (presuming Balotelli, Borini and possibly Lambert all leave)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Ings hasn't much pace. How would he slot into our setup when Ballotelli and Lambert can't?

He's a 1 in 3 striker for a poor team.

Lambert is superior to him tbh

Ings is quite quick and is extremely fit and hardworking. He is much more suitable to our set up than lambert. He would be far more effective than lambert the way we play. I'd expect lambert balo and borini to be gone in the summer and another striker to come in aswell as ings. He is going to cost about 5 million and will prove better value for money than most of our signings of late.He may well look a lot better with better players. I've watched a lot of burnley this year he hasn't looked out of place against the likes of City and spurs recently.

Perhaps they are gambling on the first season promoted effect?

Clutchingatstraws.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Would it be too obvious/simplistic to suggest we sell Borini & Balotelli for combined fees of approx £24m and invest it + the wage savings in 1 really good, proper striker like Lacazette?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Sick of people complaining about the club not getting a big name signing. Why isnt Ings being judged on what he can bring to the club and not because he isnt Edison Cavani ?
    People were upset we didnt sign Falcao at the time...Look how thats turning out for united. Big names do not always work out, look at our own super mario.
    I'd be very happy to get Ings for around the 5m mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    People were upset we didnt sign Falcao at the time...Look how thats turning out for united.
    3 goals, 3 assists in 13 games. Not a disaster exactly, and I reckon he will come good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Maybe its being mentioned already but I thought Ings was out of contract in the summer. If we do not need him till the summer why not wait and get him for free ?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Maybe its being mentioned already but I thought Ings was out of contract in the summer. If we do not need him till the summer why not wait and get him for free ?

We wouldn't get him for free anyhow. We'd have to pay a few million as he is under 23, even if out of contract. Other clubs are in for him now as well it seems so Burnley would want to get a couple more million for him now than lose him in the summer for less, as long as they get to keep him for the rest of the season.

In theory if he really wanted to come to Liverpool he could say no to everyone else then join us in the summer but the club would want to deal now if they could (while still keeping him).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Here's a thought - just as this has come out of the blue maybe something else will in the next 4 days.

Just watched his "touch" video against Man City when Burnley drew 2-2. He got one assist that day, His is certainly
    an honest player Bill, works hard for the team. Tracks and gets in among the opposition to win the ball be it high up or in his own half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Ings hasn't much pace.

huh? Have you seen him play? He's pretty damn quick!

3 goals, 3 assists in 13 games. Not a disaster exactly, and I reckon he will come good.

There's talk of he won't be there after this season, would you pay 45million (and whatever astronomical wages he's on) for a guy that scoring 1 in every 4 ? .... and if we're going by by stats Ings has 7 goals and three assists in 19 games and is 40m cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

He has 7 goals in 21 apps.

Is that regarded as good? For Burnley perhaps.

He's cheap though and is probably on 15k a week so it's a cheap option for FSG of course

Dont know about him or any burnley players, just what motd comment on really, though those stats are lower than i assumed !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Falcao is just coming back from a serious injury, normal to expect his fitness and confidence to be on the rebound.

On a 2 year deal it looked like a panic buy to me, looking to get a big name in. He was never going to be 100% this season. Might see the benefit next year if they are patient enough. Not sure that's there MO tho...

For the same reason I'd stay away from Jay Rodriguez. We haven't time for another passenger coming back from a serious injury. I'd be wary of Ings, has ability you'd like someone who has done it at a higher level over at least 2 seasons.

Lacazette will be holding out for more than Liverpool, Lyon have unequivocally stated he isn't going in Jan. Will go to a champs league team in June. Our summer tranfers probably hinge on what happens with a 4th place challenge.

it's a risky bet to come to us in Jan, because 4th place looks difficult. If you were a player commanding the interest of the bigger sides in Europe you'd go for money+champs league, depending on your personality location might be important too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What is the goal of Liverpool FC? Is it to win a league / CL? Or is it to fill the squad with 'young hungry players' (who are cheap) and maybe qualify for the CL but still make money if we don't?

Ings is a fine fit for one of the above objectives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What is the goal of Liverpool FC? Is it to win a league / CL? Or is it to fill the squad with 'young hungry players' (who are cheap) and maybe qualify for the CL but still make money if we don't?

I think with these owners they'd be happy to just qualify for the CL year in year out unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Signing Ings is as uninspiring as our signing of David Speedie way back when. We should aim higher

I'd say its the third option of winning the PL/CL with a squad full of hungry young players and make money at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I'd say its the third option of winning the PL/CL with a squad full of hungry young players and make money at the same time.

Hey I'd love for my lotto ticket to come through tonight, but I wouldn't class it as a realistic life 'goal'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Costa got a 3 game ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Don't think people would have much problem with Ings coming in as 3rd or 4th choice striker if they felt the club were going to go after a top striker as well in the Summer.

I think the fear is that they are planning to go with Sturridge, Origi, Ings and one of Lambert, Ballotelli, Borini for next season. Whichever one we can't get rid of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Costa got a 3 game ban.

One for each stamp and the third for being the elephant man I presume? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Costa got a 3 game ban.

Half thought he might get off the way the Sky pundits suddenly started proclaiming his innocence. Not wanting him to miss their big match of the season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Costa got a 3 game ban.

should have had the ban extended really for a frivilous appeal

have to laugh at chelsea fans for

a) saying these were natural movements/accidental etc. - if so then you'd see multiple stamps in every game. The guy is reckless at best and deserves his ban

b) saying the FA is xenophobic in how it disciplines players - funnily enough these same "save the foreigners" brigade were the first to suggest the electric chair for Suarez every time he sneezed on the pitch

just shows you how fickle and one-eyed football fans can be

Hey I'd love for my lotto ticket to come through tonight, but I wouldn't class it as a realistic life 'goal'.

"If you want win the lottery, you have to make the money to buy a ticket!!" :P

oh and dont forget...you'll win nothing with kids. Everyone knows that.

• Advertisement

Piece on Ruben Neves:

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/01/ruben-neves-portuguese-new-busquets-liverpool-scouting/

The new Busquets/Alonso...seems to be very highly thought of. Could be a good partner for Can.

From the article:
    "It’s worth noting that Liverpool’s current Under-16s coach Pepijn Lijnders worked with Neves during his days as a coach at Porto, and was the man who helped him progress to the senior team.

This could potentially help the Reds in their quest to sign him, given the influence Lijnders has had on his career."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Costa got off lightly with 3games. Probably should have gotten 3months, and a years community service.

I look forward to his next ban and the conspiracies surrounding it.

brevity wrote: »
    Piece on Ruben Neves:

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/01/ruben-neves-portuguese-new-busquets-liverpool-scouting/

The new Busquets/Alonso...seems to be very highly thought of. Could be a good partner for Can.

He's 17!

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Costa got off lightly with 3games. Probably should have gotten 3months, and a years community service.

I look forward to his next ban and the conspiracies surrounding it.

Costa's ban makes up for the defeat the other night.

Fist pumping furiously since I heard the news.

Plus he's nearly 40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

brevity wrote: »
    Piece on Ruben Neves:

From the article:
    "It’s worth noting that Liverpool’s current Under-16s coach Pepijn Lijnders worked with Neves during his days as a coach at Porto, and was the man who helped him progress to the senior team.

This could potentially help the Reds in their quest to sign him, given the influence Lijnders has had on his career."

Watch the video on this piece, this lad looks absolutley phenomenal, and that video is only of his debut. Buy-out clause is €29m, and looks to be worth every penny.

Signing Ings is as uninspiring as our signing of David Speedie way back when. We should aim higher

You could have said the same thing about Kevin keegan and Ian rush from days gone by though.

He's 17!

I guess...looks to be a real talent though.

Probably should by Khedira for the ol experience ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I can feel the waves of sarcasm from where I'm sitting. I think I'll need to get my sarcasmometer recalibrated as all the instruments have bust.

• Advertisement

You could have said the same thing about Kevin keegan and Ian rush from days gone by though.

Modern conventional wisdom declares that its no longer possible to pick up an apparent journeyman or lower league player and turn him into a star, be nice to show that wasn't the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I think the lack of signings thus far has people assuming Ings is being signed as the answer to all of our problems. In reality he'll be a perfectly good replacement for Borini or Lambert in the squad (if signed this summer), and frankly, I'd have him over Balotelli on current form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I feel my email to the FA contributed.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I think the lack of signings thus far has people assuming Ings is being signed as the answer to all of our problems. In reality he'll be a perfectly good replacement for Borini or Lambert in the squad (if signed this summer), and frankly, I'd have him over Balotelli on current form.

Is he better than Lambert, Ballotelli and Borini?

Is he better than Lambert, Ballotelli and Borini?

Apparently - Balo isn't arsed, Lambert is hardly used and Borini when he plays is a bit er random.

Ings just gets on with it, works hard.

Modern conventional wisdom declares that its no longer possible to pick up an apparent journeyman or lower league player and turn him into a star, be nice to show that wasn't the case.

IM not suggesting he will turn out anywhere near as good as the two lads mentioned. I do think he will prove a very good signing i mentioned him this time last yr on this thread. He is under the radar as a player somewhat due to how his career has panned out so far. He signed for burnley a few yrs back and picked up a bad injury and was out for most of his initial season. He was then behind Charlie austin in the pecking order. Dyche sold austin at the start of the previous season and most tipped burnley for the drop ings stepped up to the plate massively last yr and has impressed this yr.

• Advertisement

Apparently - Balo isn't arsed, Lambert is hardly used and Borini when he plays is a bit er random.

Ings just gets on with it, works hard.

Borini works hard, Lambert works hard.

Ings plays every game too. I'd hazard a guess both the former especially Lambert would have at least the same 6 goals in the league as Ings if he played the same minutes.

Borini works hard, Lambert works hard.

Ings plays every game too. I'd hazard a guess both the former especially Lambert would have at least the same 6 goals in the league as Ings if he played the same minutes.

Ifs buts and maybes though.

Of the players at the club at this minute I'd sooner start Ings and anyone other than Sturridge but as Ings isn't at the club its all rather academic anyway! If he is a 3rd/4th choice player instead of Borini or Lambert next season who the hell is going to complain really?

Ifs buts and maybes though.

Of the players at the club at this minute I'd sooner start Ings and anyone other than Sturridge but as Ings isn't at the club its all rather academic anyway! If he is a 3rd/4th choice player instead of Borini or Lambert next season who the hell is going to complain really?

Borini, Lambert are sub standard for Liverpool. Ballotelli should never have been signed.

I just think signing Ings would be on a similar level.

We've seen that 3rd and 4th strikers are incredibly important. Ours were so bad that 2nd, 3rd and 4th were bypassed to play a winger at CF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Who the hell is Danny Ings?.. Serious question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

I think fire should be held until we actually see how we shape up next season.

I think very few would complain if we started next season with - Sturridge / 2nd choice / Ings / Origi as the striking options as long as we go out and get that good second option and he isn't actually the second option. I've been a big defender of Balo but hard to see him being here next season. We should still get a decent fee for him. All our resources should be then focused on a goalkeeper and that second striker.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement