Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Heard a stat today that if Liverpool won their remaining 18 league games they would finish a point behind last season's tally. That's an incredible regression.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

This three at the back is not the answer, its worked well in some games but if the other team buts on sustained pressure gaps appear, the same happened against Burnley we were just very lucky that day. Gerard was a ghost today bar the penos as many have said, he shouldn't have started l, the amount of times I seen him not even looking at the ball when we were in possession at the back was unbelievable.

When Allen comes back I would give him and Henderson time to forge an understanding in the centre, (lucas out) at least they have the legs to cover the ground and make the tackle cleanly. Gerard can be subbed on for lallana or court further forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

SlickRic wrote: »
    "We showed great character"

lol.

Please tell me that's a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Its hard to string back to back games like this together in such a short time. Look at the results elsewhere ... dropped points all over the place. Obviously we are all seething cos we were 2-nil up against the bottom of the league team who will most likely be relegated, all other teams around us lost or drew, playing at home and with fresh players rotated in to help ... i'm sure i intended to put a decent spin on that but just reading over it its pretty unforgiveable really.

We are still a team without a striker ... a finisher, someone to snatch the game away with a moment of brilliance. That's the long and the short of it. Look at Nugent today - the guy will probably not be fired up as much as he was today as an Evertonian and his strike was sublime ... its what we lack. Lets see him go out and do that to Stoke and Newcastle week in week out ... ;) Sour grapes? ... the sourest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Mr Alan wrote: »
    That probably says more about our CB options than it does about Sakho tbh.

As far as I'm concerned he makes a couple of bad mistakes every game - which is not good.

He appears to go to ground early sometimes, went very early one time against Swansea and thought he was about to give away a peno, surely that's a coaching issue? Other than that I like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

NukaCola wrote: »
    I bet he thinks their best mates

I do feel for him a bit. If he leaves him out and we lose he will get stick for it from some who can't see Gerrard is past it, but on the back of the Swansea game he had some leeway not to include him.

Maybe (hopefully) all the praise is 'The Rodgers' saving face on both sides, publicly fighting Gerrard's corner while knowing he won't be offered a deal he wants and will be off in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That describes about 90% of his playing time in the last 24+ months.

Judging by 'The Rodgers' comments in every other interview he does Gerrard will be a part of the team for the next few years. I think he would see Gerrard signing an extension as the best bit of business he has done since coming to the club.

Very harsh. Thought he was magnificent in that deep lying playmaker role last year. Particularly end of 2013 to end if April early May 2014. His legs have well and truly gone now though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Please tell me that's a joke?

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Well, Lucas obviously deserves his spot on merit. He's the best in the club at that role, and has performed well. We definitely need competition for him there, but he isn't the problem.

We actually have a very nice balance to the team with 3 at the back and him just in front of them, with attacking fullbacks, a box to box midfielder, and 3 out and out attackers.

Y'know at this stage if we had to shoehorn Gerrard in, i'd rather him where Can is playing I think (though, again, i think our best 11 doesn't contain Stevie unfortunately - what a second half sub option he could be though!)

A CM with reliance on Gerrard or Lucas or both can't be expected to compete for the CL in this team. That's abundantly clear.

Sadly, Rodgers clearly doesn't see Can as a CM. Besides, he's clearly needed in defence this season. Gerrard can't play there without the right players ahead of him, and even then we concede far too much. Lucas is decent but unreliable, and doesn't do enough with the ball.

Bring in a player who can do what Matic does at Chelsea, for example, and you transform the whole team. I'd keep Gerrard benched until he's needed but only in attack. He's as mobile as 2 of our strikers, but he can actually hit the target.

Nope.

Wow. He actually is a cartoon character.

Time to go Brendan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Blatter wrote: »
    Heard a stat today that if Liverpool won their remaining 18 league games they would finish a point behind last season's tally. That's an incredible regression.

I'd take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

If Gerrard is the reason in peoples thinking as to why we are so bad then i think most cant see the wood through the trees tbh.

Gerrard isnt the reason we have a calamitous goalkeeping and striker situation.

Gerrard isnt the reason we have weak offerings like Joe Allen to replace him with.

Gerrard isnt the reason Sterling and Henderson get selected to play all over the gaff week after week.

Gerrard isnt the reason we have built a defence around Martin Skrtel (fking lol @ us).

Gerrard isnt the reason we are signing players like Balotelli and not players we actually need to tighten things up.

Taking out players like Lovren and Gerrad (seems the first scapegoats) wouldnt cure fk all tbh because the manager will still do fkin daft sh1te like select Henderson left wing forward a couple of times a month in between right wing back shifts alongside totally ignoring the need to tighten things up at a fundamental level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Come on lads, all this Gerard hate. There's 10 other men out on the field too that should be breaking their arses to get back in position and make it difficult for the opposition not just him. Leicester had 4-5 passes leading to their first goal and we were chasing shadows. Stop with the blame hound all the time ...

If we'd have snatched that late we'd all be here talking ****e and waxing lyrical about the new shape and another great win. We got what we deserved from the game and that's football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Comedy Rodgers....

"We showed great character"....lol

Hopelessly delusional and rightly for the chop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

flanzer wrote: »
    gbDMNMt.jpg

Posted at 16:59
    Dayum wrote: »
    Comedy Rodgers....

"We showed great character"....lol

Hopelessly delusional and rightly for the chop.

He really is predictable.

Gits_bone wrote: »

He really is predictable.

Yep, needs new material and would be nowhere to be seen if we won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Finished rereading the FSG statement. Feel consoled. Now a post from Augeo reiterating that we've turned the corner and are playing brilliantly would fully restore that 'everything is beautiful' feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

daithijjj wrote: »
    If Gerrard is the reason in peoples thinking as to why we are so bad then i think most cant see the wood through the trees tbh.

Gerrard isnt the reason we have a calamitous goalkeeping and striker situation.

Gerrard isnt the reason we have weak offerings like Joe Allen to replace him with.

Gerrard isnt the reason Sterling and Henderson get selected to play all over the gaff week after week.

Gerrard isnt the reason we have built a defence around Martin Skrtel (fking lol @ us).

Gerrard isnt the reason we are signing players like Balotelli and not players we actually need to tighten things up.

Taking out players like Lovren and Gerrad (seems the first scapegoats) wouldnt cure fk all tbh because the manager will still do fkin daft sh1te like select Henderson left wing forward a couple of times a month in between right wing back shifts alongside totally ignoring the need to tighten things up at a fundamental level.

But Gerrard is a problem and one that could and should have been dealt with - its in the managers powers to do so at this very moment and yet he doesn't.

The simple and unavoidable fact is that Gerrrad is neither footballing fish nor fowl. He is a disruptive element for the squad and clearly having a detrimental effect on the manager cos he keeps picking him. I'd happily see him pick up a long term injury (nothing career ending, just season ending) so he ceases to be part of the equation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The problem isn't Gerrard specifically.

It's the fact he's used as the fulcrum and pacesetter in the team.

use him high up the pitch or not at all.

And yes, there are other issues like defence and GK. of course there are. But we'd no control today because Rodgers tinkered with a team that played superbly 3 days ago, and controlled things.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Finished rereading the FSG statement. Feel consoled. Now a post from Augeo reiterating that we've turned the corner and are playing brilliantly would fully restore that 'everything is beautiful' feeling.

We turned the corner and straight into a wall :o

• Advertisement

Seems fairly obvious that accommodating Gerrard is the reason Henderson is played out of position.

Rodgers needs 100m to sort that squad out.

But who would give Rodgers a tenner?!

Seems fairly obvious that accommodating Gerrard is the reason Henderson is played out of position.

Without a doubt.

If Gerrard is injured, Henderson is in CM and Manquillo at RB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Rodgers needs 100m to sort that squad out.

But who would give Rodgers a tenner?!

I would give him the sack right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

That was so last year, but it feels like it was only yesterday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

FFS, why couldn't he just stick to the team from the Swansea game. Get a few results together, and then MAYBE make a change or two once we have a bit of form.

He could have played Stevie for the 90 mins in the cup next week!

Its ****ing baffling!

ebbsy wrote: »
    I would give him the sack right now.

Who would realistically take the job?

Who would realistically take the job?

He'd probably just disguise himself and come back again as someone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Henderson should be in centre mid at all times, first name on the team sheet.

• Advertisement

100 million seems to be the going rate to sort squads out these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

FSG aren't going to sack Rodgers he signed a new multi year/£million contract 6 months ago it would cost them a fortune.

100 million seems to be the going rate to sort squads out these days.

Rodgers has spent more than £200m in the last 2 years & we're getting worse....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Spurs eh??

4-3-3 with no striker would be the same thing.

Without the ball:

Mig

Manquillo----Can---Sakho----Moreno----

Gerrard

Hendo
    Lucas

----Coutinho
    Sterling
    Lallana

With the ball:

Mig

Can----Gerrard----Sakho

Manquillo
    Moreno

Lucas----Hendo

----Coutinho
    Sterling
    Lallana----

Ah for Petes sake, all the days for Chelsea to turn to shi-te.

• Advertisement

Mourinho bottling the league again?

4-3-3 with no striker would be the same thing.

Without the ball:

Mig

Manquillo----Can---Sakho----Moreno----

Gerrard-

Hendo
    Lucas

----Coutinho
    Sterling
    Lallana

With the ball:

Mig

Can----Gerrard----Sakho

Manquillo
    Moreno

Lucas----Hendo

----Coutinho
    Sterling
    Lallana----

p0152xwg.jpg

Go away!

Imagine this was actually fact though?.

How do we explain these 2 players on an isolated basis last season when both were in the team?.

The fact you think Henderson is in any way being played out of position because of Gerrard, to me, means you really have no idea what Rodgers is doing, and neither do the majority of people now i would say.

That statement above makes no sense at all given what we saw the whole of last season.

daithijjj wrote: »
    Imagine this was actually fact though?.

How do we explain these 2 players on an isolated basis last season when both were in the team?.

The fact you think Henderson is in any way being played out of position because of Gerrard, to me, means you really have no idea what Rodgers is doing, and neither do the majority of people now i would say.

That statement above makes no sense at all given what we saw the whole of last season.

Rather than telling us we're all wrong why don't you explain to us why we're wrong. I'm intrigued as to what you've spotted that the rest of us haven't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There's no point focussing on an individual day in a league season and where it leaves us. We are averaging less than 1.5 ppg. So long as that is the case we'll end up roughly where we are now by season's end. The focus needs to be on our poor results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Watched the Swansea highlights only last night. I felt like I was in a time portal gone back eight months. Back to real time today though. We had 18 shots on goal today, only 6 on target. Two of those were the penalties. So its really 16 shots with only four on target, 25%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

But Gerrard is a problem and one that could and should have been dealt with - its in the managers powers to do so at this very moment and yet he doesn't.

The simple and unavoidable fact is that Gerrrad is neither footballing fish nor fowl. He is a disruptive element for the squad and clearly having a detrimental effect on the manager cos he keeps picking him. I'd happily see him pick up a long term injury (nothing career ending, just season ending) so he ceases to be part of the equation.

WTF!

Gerrard is brilliant once he's asked to play his natural game and not shoehorned into 'controller'. He played AM last month and played a blinder, scoring and assisting.

I don't think he should neccasarily start but if he does it has to be in the forward line. Wishing an injury on him is disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

PRAF wrote: »
    Damn it. Poor result. Didn't see any of the game. But I Was a bit worried with talk of Stevie G partnering Lucas in midfield.

As spectacular as Stevie was as a footballer, and as great a player as he was, he just never learned the skills required to be a truly great midfielder IMO. Frequently lets runners go past him, doesn't control the tempo of a game, can't seem to do the cynical stuff that's sometimes required, etc. With his legs gone he's fast becoming a liability in there.

BR needs to bench him more or else design a new system to accommodate him. Think he still has something to offer, however it isn't as a DM in a diamond formation or as a CM in a two man midfield.

If BR doesn't address this soon, it'll cost him his job.

It pains me to admit it but Gerrard is not a starter any more. I suppose Rodgers doesn't want to be the Pool manager that brought his career to an end, so would rather we go out and play that crap and hope that Leicester roll over in front of us and ask for a little belly rub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

They weren't great against Southampton either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The problem isn't Gerrard specifically.

It's the fact he's used as the fulcrum and pacesetter in the team.

use him high up the pitch or not at all.

And yes, there are other issues like defence and GK. of course there are. But we'd no control today because Rodgers tinkered with a team that played superbly 3 days ago, and controlled things.

Yes

There's no point focussing on an individual day in a league season and where it leaves us. We are averaging less than 1.5 ppg. So long as that is the case we'll end up roughly where we are now by season's end. The focus needs to be on our poor results.

Its important if Spurs gain three points none of us thought they would! Obvious enough. Now Liverpool need to win another game more than would otherwise have been the case, unless Spurs loose to, I dunno, Leicester maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

J Mysterio wrote: »
    WTF!

Gerrard is brilliant once he's asked to play his natural game and not shoehorned into 'controller'. He played AM last month and played a blinder, scoring and assisting.

I don't think he should neccasarily start but if he does it has to be in the forward line. Wishing an injury on him is disgraceful.

A blinder? He hadn't played a blinder in about 2 years.

Still think 3rd is the aim, 4th will do.

Spurs winning won't help but Arsenal are shíte. Spurs are spurs. W Ham and Ston won't last and Utd are going nowhere. Hoofball to Mata at one stage today.

Rather than telling us we're all wrong why don't you explain to us why we're wrong. I'm intrigued as to what you've spotted that the rest of us haven't

Did you watch any of last season?. Its all explained there. Henderson and Gerrard in the same team. The only difference this year is berty big bollocks selecting Henderson everywhere except where he was great for us last year.

Plain enough?

Still think 3rd is the aim, 4th will do.

Spurs winning won't help but Arsenal are shíte. Spurs are spurs. W Ham and Ston won't last and Utd are going nowhere. Hoofball to Mata at one stage today.

You seem confident. Where do you think we'll finish?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement