Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Mr Alan wrote: »
    The manager bought him, says he isn't selling him..?!?!..then have him on the bench.
    Before Balotelli even set foot on Merseyside, Rodgers said to the media that he was a desperation signing. I don't think Rodgers ever wanted him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Keeping Suarez will be the best bit of business Rodgers has done since he arrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Keeping Suarez will be the best bit of business Rodgers has done since he arrived.

I don't know how to break this to you but...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

MD1990 wrote: »
    I honestly don't think Sturridge is that much behind Suarez except for the injuries.
    If he could somehow stay fit for 2-3 years I think he would be right up there as one of the best strikers in Europe.

I agree. For me on his day he is the 2nd best striker in the league behind aguero. Technically he's a brilliant player. A huge boost to have back hopefully our medical staff have learned a thing or two about him after this and can manage him better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

At least SAS is back scoring.
    Albeit a new SAS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

not yet wrote: »
    Well I vote after today's win that we pool together, and send 5 star over for every home game until we lose..............

Who's in..

Pffft. Be more in yere line send me. I was about 7-8 rows behind Rodgers at the Swansea game over Christmas. I am Ayre was only 15 yards from my seat. Meant to shout over to him re who needs buying in the transfer Window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Coutinho isn't too good for us. At least not yet.

Could you leave me out of this please...

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Pffft. Be more in yere line send me. I was about 7-8 rows behind Rodgers at the Swansea game over Christmas. I am Ayre was only 15 yards from my seat. Meant to shout over to him re who needs buying in the transfer Window.

Right yare then..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

John W. Henry on Facebook.
    What would this season have been like with Daniel Sturridge in the squad for the past 5 months?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

John W. Henry on Facebook.

Or any half decent striker,John W.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Bogging 6th on MOTD.

I have it recorded on the Sky Plus Box :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

monkey9 wrote: »
    But Balotelli was pure muck on Tuesday. He was just sh!te.

Nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Wife up to bed for an early night, beer, pizza and match of the day showing a Liverpool win.

Ahhhh, all's right with the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Countiho is fantastic, an absolute joy to watch

naughtb4 wrote: »

I give you this...
    Coutinho isn't too good for us. At least not yet.

• Advertisement

The above is fair enough though

He is not as suarez level, if he adds goals he won't be here long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

not yet wrote: »
    I give you this...

Tying those two quotes together makes no sense at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Anyone any idea what the story with lovren is? He seems to be popping up on the bench some games and not there the others? Injured or punishment for him being horrifically sh!te?
    Johnson being the sole cover for 3 centre back positions and both wingback positions today is a shuddering thought. Enrique well out of favour too by the looks, cant say I've any complaints on that one however .

klose wrote: »
    Anyone any idea what the story with lovren is? He seems to be popping up on the bench some games and not there the others? Injured or punishment for him being horrifically sh!te?
    Johnson being the sole cover for 3 centre back positions and both wingback positions today is a shuddering thought. Enrique well out of favour too by the looks, cant say I've any complaints on that one however .
    I suppose with 3cbs the other cover is always to go 4 at the back.

Also with the side two so attacking, sterlin, hendo and lalana are cover there

Looking that Spurs home on Tuesday week could be a massive game got us. Win that and top 4 is a proper challenge, right in the middle of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Was listening to the game today on the radio in work and could barely contain myself re: Sturridge. So delighted for him I was a touch emotional. It must have been a tough 5 months. After finally finding a club that you click at, having a great season and then having the luck he had with injuries.

Watching MOTD now, few nice touches in the game before that excellent touch to set himself up for the goal after great work by Coutinho.

Delighted to see him back and Rodgers' reaction said it all, haven't seen that look of delight in his face since last season and I haven't enjoyed MOTD this much since last season either.

We're still in 7th ok, but I'm really looking forward to the second half of the season to see what we can do with this system finally coming together and our new players coming in to form with the return of Sturridge.

Welcome back Danny and roll on Everton :)

Up Liverpool, Up Sturridge, Up the boys, down the pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool FC plan Melwood pitch privacy screen to stop spying on team
    Liverpool FC wants to install a 4.5metre high privacy screen at its Melwood training ground to prevent confidential team details leaking out before matches.

The club has applied to Liverpool city council to put up the screen around one of their training pitches next to Melwood Drive and Crown Road where players are put through their paces

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-fc-plan-melwood-pitch-8553779

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Spurs have Arsenal next.

There's benefits to any result but really, it's Arsenal and Utd we have to worry about. A Spurs win is the best result but a draw would be alright.

We have our own away derby but I'd back us to demolish Everton to be honest. If Sturridge is fit at any rate.
    They're in a heap at the moment. 8 pts from their last 8 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

How the f**k are we only 4 points behind fourth?!

Come on Villa and Swansea!!!

Coutinho has been magnificent in our recent run of form. His control of the ball and his ability to constantly misdirect opposition players is a joy to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Gbear wrote: »
    Spurs have Arsenal next.

There's benefits to any result but really, it's Arsenal and Utd we have to worry about. A Spurs win is the best result but a draw would be alright.

We have our own away derby but I'd back us to demolish Everton to be honest. If Sturridge is fit at any rate.
    They're in a heap at the moment. 8 pts from their last 8 games.

A draw for both of them next weekend and a win for LFC in the Derby would be a good weekend if you ask me !!

No matter whether you're rigid behind Rodgers or not the man deserves credit the past 6 weeks or so. It wasn't looking good tbh but he he changed the formation without changing his philosophy.

All that while basically playing with no proper striker.

That's why I'm positive about lfc atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

rarnes1 wrote: »
    No matter whether you're rigid behind Rodgers or not the man deserves credit the past 6 weeks or so. It wasn't looking good tbh but he he changed the formation without changing his philosophy.

ooh-matron-kenneth-williams-carry-on-bouvier-des-flandres-puppies-for-sale-uk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Perhaps we should have had a proper striker the last 6 months, we are a football club come to think off it innit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Looking that Spurs home on Tuesday week could be a massive game got us. Win that and top 4 is a proper challenge, right in the middle of it.

Glad i picked this game to go to. Should be a cracking game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

naughtb4 wrote: »

Been different class the past month. His problem was always inconsistency but he's still young. You will have that with 21 and 22 years olds. Even his shooting seems to be improving in that he's at least getting his shots on target recently. Apparently been working hard at it.

In a couple of years he could be scary good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

that pass for raheems goal surpasses stevies to studge last year imo ... outstanding

Mig for the golden glove

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The mirror are linking ings with city now which I'd find very hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Well said. The root cause of why we had to play with no strikers (ie not replacing suarez, not buying like for like cover for Sturrudge etc) still needs to be addressed behind the scenes but I am hopefully that it will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

The mirror are linking ings with city now which I'd find very hard to believe.

They'll be linked with lots of english players now with milner leaving they will need to fill their quota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wonder what will happen with Gerrard with Sturridge back?
    Coutinho & Sterling are undropable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

The three stand out performances for me yesterday.
    For me, Sterlings best goal yet, great controlled pass and intelligence to hold his run to stay onside then an excellent composed shot.

This magicians pass for Sterlings goal is something else.

And Sakho was in beast mode yesterday. Nearly all his passes are forward so not putting defenders and Mignolet under unnecessary pressure. And powerful headers every time the ball came towards him in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

MD1990 wrote: »
    Wonder what will happen with Gerrard with Sturridge back?
    Coutinho & Sterling are undropable.

Keep the same team as yesterday with Sturridge in for Lallana. With Strridge up front ahead of Couthino and Sterling we have a quick fluid attack. Gerrard should be a sub from now on unless we have injuries. And Lallana has not done enough to oust Sterling or Couthino.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I do agree but for me the big worry is that the main changes happened purely because of injury. Would Mignolet and Sakho really be starting now if Jones and Lovren didn't get injured? Very hard to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Amazing turnaround for a few players this season and credit should be given to BR for his patience and man management as well as the players themselves.
    Skrtel - looked down and out at one stage, individual errors and bad positioning. Looks solid all of a sudden in the heart of the defence.
    Sahko - controversy surrounded him when he may or may not have walked out when not selected. Has turned his season around.
    Lallana - not his fault but was being finger pointed as a bad buy for 25mill and although i think most people thought he would come good has began to show his quality.
    Can - brilliant addition to a back 3, composed and workmanlike, uses the ball better than any mid. Its great to see him play week in week out.
    Mig - bag of nerves a few weeks ago, he is getting more confident as weeks go by. Coming for crosses and you can actually hear him through the tv when calling for the ball. Some good performances recently massive turnaround.
    Lazar - jury still out by all means, but at least we don't shiver when seeing him in the team lineup. Can only get better.

So Brendan just has Lovren to rehabilitate now ;) ... but seriously the way Brendan has handled the last few months when the pressure must have been incredible has been impressive. All those interviews with him spewing the "Magnificent, incredible, can't fault my players" seems if you believe in it enough you can overcome the problems.

We are going to be in a dogfight with United/Arsenal for the 4th ... plenty to play for. Nothing to lose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Been different class the past month. His problem was always inconsistency but he's still young. You will have that with 21 and 22 years olds. Even his shooting seems to be improving in that he's at least getting his shots on target recently. Apparently been working hard at it.

In a couple of years he could be scary good.[/quot

I heard its hes shooting is the reason the want the high screens around melwood, he was breaking too many windows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I do agree but for me the big worry is that the main changes happened purely because of injury. Would Mignolet and Sakho really be starting now if Jones and Lovren didn't get injured? Very hard to know.

Fair points, but moving to 3 at the back, moving Markovic to right wing back and moving Sterling up front and playing Can Centre Back are not necessarily obvious moves and have all made a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Seydou Doumbia gone to Roma for 10 million.

That's the type of player we should have bought and probably would have come to us.

Extremely fast, and a great finisher. Made a fool of City in the Champs league.

Plus Uncle Kolo would have made him feel welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Happy for Mig, racking up another clean sheet must do his confidence a world of good. So must having players in front of him who at least try to do their job properly.

I don't really care how it happened once it's working!

This system could well suit Lovern too, who knows. All our defenders looked like complete mugs before we changed, now they look solid and comfortable. I'm a big critic of Skrtel but he's playing some good stuff. Sakho is excellent and Can looks like a fantastic signing.

Having Lucas in front of them instead of Gerrard is absolutely massive,.

This is the first system that Rodgers has used since he arrived that doesn't leak goals. Long may it last

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    Tying those two quotes together makes no sense at all.

It did to me............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I don't really care how it happened once it's working!

This system could well suit Lovern too, who knows. All our defenders looked like complete mugs before we changed, now they look solid and comfortable. I'm a big critic of Skrtel but he's playing some good stuff. Sakho is excellent and Can looks like a fantastic signing.

Having Lucas in front of them instead of Gerrard is absolutely massive,.

This is the first system that Rodgers has used since he arrived that doesn't leak goals. Long may it last

That's somewhat true but at the end of the day luck/fortune will generally run. Even with the Lucas situation it amazing it took a professional manager so long to figure it out. I'm delighted we've turned around but I'm still somewhat skeptical about the future(especially long-term). Certainly enjoying the short-term though and hopefully it lasts!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

^^ That

I'd gladly take a few 1or 2 nil wins over high scoring heart attacks for the next couple of months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

That's somewhat true but at the end of the day luck/fortune will generally run. Even with the Lucas situation it amazing it took a professional manager so long to figure it out. I'm delighted we've turned around but I'm still somewhat skeptical about the future(especially long-term). Certainly enjoying the short-term though and hopefully it lasts!

Last season we found a solution, with Gerrard at DM, that worked for us. It got all our best players on the pitch (including Gerrard, and without his set pieces we would not have come nearly so close to winning the league), it improved the service to our front players, at the expense of some goals conceded. But on balance it was the right choice for us.

After the Southampton game at the start of the season there were plenty who believed Lucas was finished. It's not just that Rodgers is selecting him now, it's that Lucas is playing his best football in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Happy for Mig, racking up another clean sheet must do his confidence a world of good. So must having players in front of him who at least try to do their job properly.

I defended him earlier this season and said he was a good keeper it's just that his confidence was shot letting in so many goals on a weekly basis.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement