Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Shelvey is a head case. Carra even alluded to it after the Liverpool game this season where he caught Can with his elbow.

Carra said ye would do something like that 2 or 3 times a week in training and basically said he had to leave the club.

Bags of ability, just not the discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

huey1975 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm wrong or just deluded, but I thought he really appreciated the support of the club and it's supporters when he had his problems. If he were to return to England surely, United having accused him of racism, and Chelsea having supplied ivanovics arm would be out of the question.

Suarez would have no problems playing for either of those teams. He went down the legal route to try and push through a move to Arsenal after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

We seem defensively solid these days for a team that doesn't practice defence in training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

We seem defensively solid these days for a team that doesn't practice defence in training.

I dont know, still open to some poor mistakes, not solid looking at set pieces, but miles better I agree.

After a nice run of games the next run of games is as tough as they come (Everton, Spurs, Southampton, Burnley, Man City, Swansea, Man Utd, Arsenal). The opportunity is there now to break that top 4 and Sturridge is back at a critical time. The next 8 games will be the test.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It was bloody cold at the match on Saturday and the first half did nothing to warm me up. It was as uninspired a 45 minutes as I've seen for quite a while, from both teams. We gave the ball away carelessly a good few times in the half. Second half was thankfully better. Sterling and Coutinho were excellent, with Coutinho I thought the pick of the bunch, although Sterling seems to have garnered more praise. Sakho was also very good bar a stray pass or two in the first half.

Good to see Sturridge back as well. I was keeping an eye on him all through the second half to see when he'd be told to get ready to come on, so was delighted when he came on and seemed like his old self straight away. Markovic and Lallana seemed to be our least effective players anyhow, although Can had me worried in the first half as Valencia did him for pace a few times down the left, but thankfully West Ham seemed pretty toothless in general yesterday and didn't threaten at all. I was happy to see Ibe get 10 mins again as well, and I think his effort deserved a goal late on too.

Tough run of fixtures ahead, and we really can't afford to lose many (if any) to get right in contention for top 4. No point us beating Tottenham for example if we lose to Everton next weekend. We certainly can get back in it, and if we have Sturridge fit and firing (don't play him on Wednesday from the start anyhow, please) we have a decent outside shot at it still. I read this morning that after 23 games last season we were only 8 points better off than we are now, which is pretty amazing to think. I don't think we'll go on the same run this season as we did last season by any means, but as the dumb and dumber thing goes "so you're telling me there's a chance".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

^
    Only 8 points off last season? That's amazing. If we finish 8 points off last season that would be pretty damn good. Some real stupid points we pissed away this season. That Leicester draw still annoys me more than any result this season.

Hopefully there will be a bit of surprise business done today, highly doubt it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So every time Shelvey scores a worldy from outside the box it means it was a mistake to let him go the othe 99% of the time he is sh1t isn't taken into account then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So every time Shelvey scores a worldy from outside the box it means it was a mistake to let him go the othe 99% of the time he is sh1t isn't taken into account then.

Ya, we have Can and Coutinho now who are of similar age, I know who I would prefer to have and spend time on developing.

Shelvey will never amount to much, his game intelligence is really poor.

Shelvey is a decent player, still only 22 and has a lot of ability. I mean, i dont want him back or anything but he does get a raw deal from some. If he was more consistent he'd be a good player.

Contrast him to a similar player like Ross Barkley who everyone seems to rate highly. Although RB is a year younger he suffers from the same consistency problems but seems to get a free pass while offering similar performances, goals assists etc. While RB is a probably the better player there isn't a vast gulf in class there. Shelvey has a lot going for him and is still young. Footballers cant all be world beaters at a young age.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There is a risk about Shelvey. You could see after he scored that goal that something changed in his behaviour, I thought he was going to go full retard Ketsbaia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

NukaCola wrote: »
    Shelvey is a decent player, still only 22 and has a lot of ability. I mean, i dont want him back or anything but he does get a raw deal from some. If he was more consistent he'd be a good player.

Its hard to believe he is only 22 with that head on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Shelvey was not good enough for us ,but that does not mean 99% of his performances are Sh 1 T
    he is a solid pro who will have a solid carreer ,and who on occasion will put in match winning performances and wonder goals. I wish him all the best at Swansea and any other club he goes on to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I wouldn't take Shelvey back for free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Tom Brady is god..... sorry, wrong thread...... Danny Ings is god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tony Barrett @TonyBarretTimes · 59m59 minutes ago

Liverpool looking to agree a deal with Burnley for Danny Ings that would avoid the need for a tribunal when his contract ends in June.

or
    Ladbrokes @Ladbrokes · 2h2 hours ago

BREAKING: Danny Ings has reportedly agreed terms with #RealSociedad.

Take your pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Any chance of getting rid of Borini before the day is out, no?

I wouldn't get rid of anyone unless a replacement is brought in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Anyone know when they'll confirm the Newcastle game it's down for 11th April but thats Grand National day at aintree so likely to be moved to Sunday I think. Thinking of going as long as it's not moved to Monday night or something

Liverpool police going to court to try and move the derby to an earlier time

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/police-launch-merseyside-derby-legal-8561269

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭8-10

kfallon wrote: »
    Any chance of getting rid of Borini before the day is out, no?

Would prefer bids for Aspas, Coates and Luis Alberto first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Liverpool police going to court to try and move the derby to an earlier time

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/police-launch-merseyside-derby-legal-8561269

Makes sense but bit late no? Should never have been allowed at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The police should just do their bloody job. I hate the way the derby and Man U matches aren't on in the evenings anymore. Always stupid o' clock kickoffs.

gafferino wrote: »
    Makes sense but bit late no? Should never have been allowed at that time.

I don't agree with that. League game at Anfield last season was end of January and kicked off at 8pm so this 'protection of darkness' thing makes little sense.

Should be no more dangerous having a 5.30 on a Saturday to an 8pm on a Tuesday, people would be drinking either way

monkey9 wrote: »
    The police should just do their bloody job. I hate the way the derby and Man U matches aren't on in the evenings anymore. Always stupid o' clock kickoffs.

You can see their point though? Id imagine they have evidence to back it up too.

I remember a Utd game kicking off at 11am on a Sunday in the 90s!

8-10 wrote: »
    I don't agree with that. League game at Anfield last season was end of January and kicked off at 8pm so this 'protection of darkness' thing makes little sense.

Should be no more dangerous having a 5.30 on a Saturday to an 8pm on a Tuesday, people would be drinking either way

Most people that go probably work so there wouldn't be much time to get tanked up on a Tuesday.

@ Gafferino. Yeah bit late in the day tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I remember going to a game against Leeds that kicked off at 11 back in the day.

The game should never have been moved to 5:30.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

You can see their point though? Id imagine they have evidence to back it up too.

I remember a Utd game kicking off at 11am on a Sunday in the 90s!

I presume it's something to do with the apparent away end crush and crowds for the midweek league game last season

Most people that go probably work so there wouldn't be much time to get tanked up on a Tuesday.

I guess that's it but really don't see it as that much of a difference. Would prefer if it was Spurs on the Saturday and Everton on the Tuesday, that Tuesday game last year was great atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

They will hardly move it now will they when its on tv. Heading over myself on saturdy morning. Love derby day.

Super-Rush wrote: »

The game should never have been moved to 5:30.

This. The league should already have negotiated with the Police and communicated to the likes of Sky etc the games that have to be early kick off so they are never moved to 5.30, early kick offs can still be televised, the problem is that Spurs v Arsenal also has to be an early one and they also want to show that. The early game on Sunday is Burnley v West Brom at 12 which would have been a good slot for either derby except that Liverpool play Spurs on Tuesday.

But overall I agree, if some games can't be shown late on a weekend day then it should be made known at the time of setting tv schedules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Ojo off to Wigan on loan. He's been superb this season, you could argue that a good loan spell could see in the mix for a squad place next season, and Sinclair can't be far away either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ojo on a youth loan is good for both parties. If Wigan doesn't give him too much playing time he can come back and play U21 games for us, like Conor Randall did.
    Ojo looks a good bet to develop into a decent squad player.

Dont get me wrong ,I like the look of a lot of what is coming through our youth Set up and long may it continue ,but were are the midfield enforcers we so badly need but seem unable to sign , it seems to be all Pacey wingers in the mould of Sterling or tippy tappy midfielders .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Dont get me wrong ,I like the look of a lot of what is coming through our youth Set up and long may it continue ,but were are the midfield enforcers we so badly need but seem unable to sign , it seems to be all Pacey wingers in the mould of Sterling or tippy tappy midfielders .

Jordan God Damn Mother Fcuking Rossiter.

DVDM93 wrote: »

He's definately one that will come through, but not exactly an 'enforcer', moreso a deep playmaker...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Dickerty wrote: »
    He's definately one that will come through, but not exactly an 'enforcer', moreso a deep playmaker...

He'll enforce deep playmaking.

DVDM93 wrote: »

I always though that he would be more of a Gerrard mark 2 than the Souness ,Hamman ,Masher mark 2 I am looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Looks like salah on his way out of chelsea
    So he snubbed liverpool for chelsea that worked out well for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Stamford Bridge is now best viewed as a quiet staging post, a place to rest before resuming ones career.

• Advertisement

He earned the money he probably craved.

He went there knowing he'd be a squad player. Be interesting to see how he does after Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

so the salah days are over...

Scored more premier league goals than Mario !

It was oft said he made no friends at Chelsea so was always going to move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

sweetie wrote: »
    so the salah days are over...

You don't win friends with Salah

Serves the greedy git right. :mad:

I always though that he would be more of a Gerrard mark 2 than the Souness ,Hamman ,Masher mark 2 I am looking for.

I think more like a Ronnie Whelan, doesn't belong very deep or very advanced, but he's methodical and reliable and will always do a good job for ya...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Gmol wrote: »
    You don't win friends with Salah

sR4dUDl.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

If Sturridge has another injury we'll be lucky to make the top 8.

If he can stay on the pitch and off the treatment table we've an outside chance at 4.

We have no players who can replace him.

I do wish we could have been decisive, jettisoned Mario and pulled in a replacement. Very surprised that we've not brought in a keeper. I think the most important lesson from Mig's dodgy spell was that Jones is not good enough for any prem team, possibly championship either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

now I know some of them or young but Salah will be the 29th player on Cheleas books on loan

If Sturridge has another injury we'll be lucky to make the top 8.

While I agree he is a key player, to be fair we are 5 points off top 3 and we were without him for 5 months so the above statement is an overreaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

NukaCola wrote: »
    While I agree he is a key player, to be fair we are 5 points off top 3 and we were without him for 5 months so the above statement is an overreaction.
    This.

We're top of the form table & Danny has played what? 20 minutes of it?

He's crucial to the team doing well, no doubt about it, but lucky to hit top 8 without him is a gross over exaggeration to say the least.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement