Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

PRAF wrote: »
    Worst transfer deadline day ever!

Far less stressful than deadline day in January 2011 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

can anyone explain the Ings situation in plain english?

I suppose Suarez contract's extension ment nothing when Barca came knocking? Probably added 20 million to his price. Look at the Sterling situation? Of course a contract extension is important. That security for Coutinho is massive and hopefully we will reap the benefits over the next 18 months

I think as well there are differences here. As was said by someone else last week, while Coutinho is a joy to watch on form and really dangerous, he is too inconsistent to be seen as an upgrade by most of the clubs that could naturally poach him from us, at least for now. He'll need another 18 months of reasonably consistent form until he is that sought after by the clubs clearly ahead of us in money/success terms.

If he does go though we are assured of a good price for him, although sadly not assured the money would be spent well. Get Sterling and Henderson tied down to new deals soon and it'll be good business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

What's to explain? He's out of contract in June, there was talk of us agreeing a pre-contract, but Burnley were never letting him go in this window.

Since it's only a pre-contract, we can do that today, or any day before June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

5starpool wrote: »
    I think as well there are differences here. As was said by someone else last week, while Coutinho is a joy to watch on form and really dangerous, he is too inconsistent to be seen as an upgrade by most of the clubs that could naturally poach him from us, at least for now. He'll need another 18 months of reasonably consistent form until he is that sought after by the clubs clearly ahead of us in money/success terms.

If he does go though we are assured of a good price for him, although sadly not assured the money would be spent well. Get Sterling and Henderson tied down to new deals soon and it'll be good business.

Agree. Coutinho needs to add goals and consistency to his game. Funny enough, I think he is pretty consistent when he has 2 mobile, quick forwards in front of him that he can pass to. The quality of his passing in that scenario is fantastic.

He struggles to make the same impact when we have Balo or Lambert in the team. The difference between him and say Silva, is that when City miss Aguero, Silva may well pop up with a goal to compensate. Coutinho doesn't really have that yet.

I'm not saying he is a luxury player, far from it. However, he probably wouldn't suit a lot of teams and thankfully that makes him less of a transfer target!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Dickerty wrote: »
    What's to explain? He's out of contract in June, there was talk of us agreeing a pre-contract, but Burnley were never letting him go in this window.

But why pay anything if hes out of contract in the summer?

I've been slacking off on my MOTD viewing :o.

Besides looking at the stats, I wouldn't have a rashers what Ings is like vs say a Berahino or a Charlie Austin. Would he (or any of those) be a good fit for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I suppose Suarez contract's extension ment nothing when Barca came knocking? Probably added 20 million to his price. Look at the Sterling situation? Of course a contract extension is important. That security for Coutinho is massive and hopefully we will reap the benefits over the next 18 months

We pissed away the profit. What good is profit when it means nothing to us fans?

We can't agree a pre contract with Ings until April or May I think. It's only non English clubs that can agree pre contract deals within 6 months. It's later for clubs in the same country, but I'm not exactly sure when. It's 2 or 3 months before contract end.

If someone signs him on a 'free' next summer then sue to his age they would have to pay Burney a fee set by a tribunal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

He's not very good and not what we need........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

But why pay anything if hes out of contract in the summer?

I presume to lock in the deal so no one else can get him.
    Would work out the same as buying him now and loaning him back until the summer essentially

NukaCola wrote: »
    He's not very good and not what we need........

He IS good. He's only 22, scored 26 goals last season and 7 this season in a team stuggling for creativity.
    He's also the reason they sold Charlie Austin to QPR, and the biggest reason they were promoted.

But I do agree, he's not what we need. Borini would probably have the same goals if he has played Championship last season. It's a big step up to our level...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Our recruitment strategy is beginning to baffle me.

I understood that
    Our rivals have more access to Cash than we have
    Our plan is to close this gap by spending “better” than our rivals
    This means finding players younger and cheaper that will grow into stars rather than buying the finished article.
    Failures should still recoup a large part of their transfer as they still have potential
    Successful buys will generate large piles of cash.

So far so good
    Now the bit that baffles me ,Why are we keeping clear failures on the books .
    I hoped to see some players in this window but was sure we would see some out and I am very surprised that we are seeing no movement out.

Coates
    Aspas
    Alberto
    Lambert
    Boroni
    Balotelli
    Enrique
    Jones

Maybe even include Lovren and GlenJo ,(although I can understand Brod thinking it is too soon to call Lovren and he seems to trust Glenjo )

All the above are not working for this squad and will play no part in our run in ,we should be seeing these guys out the door to free up money to bring some players in.
    People are desperate in January and I am sure that we would generate more Cash selling now than in the Summer.
    Heck keep the money till the summer if you have too ,but between wages and selling price we lost a wedge of cash this transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Chelsea are absolute sharks in the transfer market. Bought Cudrado, Costa, Fabregas, Felippe, Remy and made a profit in the last 6 months. We really need to up our game if we have any hope of competing with them in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I've been slacking off on my MOTD viewing :o.

Besides looking at the stats, I wouldn't have a rashers what Ings is like vs say a Berahino or a Charlie Austin. Would he (or any of those) be a good fit for us?

I would rather have Ings or one of the others over Mario at the moment. The Mario transfer didn't work out and maybe during the summer the club should get what they can for him. Mario seems to have an Anelka whiff to him. As in he will become a journeyman.

• Advertisement

Now the bit that baffles me ,Why are we keeping clear failures on the books .
    I hoped to see some players in this window but was sure we would see some out and I am very surprised that we are seeing no movement out.

Coates
    Aspas
    Alberto
    Lambert
    Boroni
    Balotelli
    Enrique
    Jones

People are desperate in January and I am sure that we would generate more Cash selling now than in the Summer.
    Heck keep the money till the summer if you have too ,but between wages and selling price we lost a wedge of cash this transfer window.

I am sure that if we could sell Coates or Aspas for a good fee, we would take it.
    Borini also, although only if we could have brought in a replacement. Likewise Lambert.
    Enrique is an occasional feature and we need backup for Moreno.
    Jones is also an active backup.
    And selling Balo now at the low point of value would not be smart. We have lots of games coming, give him a handful of Europa games (assuming we have a few) and see if either he can show some form, or at least increase his value...

I would rather have Ings or one of the others over Mario at the moment. The Mario transfer didn't work out and maybe during the summer the club should get what they can for him. Mario seems to have an Anelka whiff to him. As in he will become a journeyman.

In fairness while Anelka had more clubs than Rory Mcilroy ,he delivered at every club.

rob316 wrote: »
    Chelsea are absolute sharks in the transfer market. Bought Cudrado, Costa, Fabregas, Felippe, Remy and made a profit in the last 6 months. We really need to up our game if we have any hope of competing with them in the near future.

In order to do that, you have to be shopping off a higher shelf. They are bringing in players for millions and sending out on loan, with no intention of using them in the short term. It's top-of-the-food-chain stuff, somewhere we are not.

In fact, only Porto seem to be able to manage that level of outgoings and still retain success...

And selling Balo now at the low point of value would not be smart.

I posted before I think his value has dropped to 4-6M
    We will pay him another 2M in wages between now and the summer.
    So raising his value this season to 6-8M is a push, and maybe just maybe we could have got a desperate club to pay 6-8M now.

Chelseas ability to get top dollar for players there Manager does not want is bizzare.

Wheres my tinfoil hat !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

In fairness while Anelka had more clubs than Rory Mcilroy ,he delivered at every club.

True , he did deliver but Mario is reminding me of Anelka as in he will never settle at one club.

I am sure that if we could sell Coates or Aspas for a good fee, we would take it.
    Borini also, although only if we could have brought in a replacement. Likewise Lambert.
    Enrique is an occasional feature and we need backup for Moreno.
    Jones is also an active backup.
    And selling Balo now at the low point of value would not be smart. We have lots of games coming, give him a handful of Europa games (assuming we have a few) and see if either he can show some form, or at least increase his value...

Could have sold Borini for a tidy profit. Same with Lambert. Neither wanted to leave. Not much you can do about that I'm afraid

Agree - selling Enrique and Jones would not be good moves. Not now anyway.

Chelseas ability to get top dollar for players there Manager does not want is bizzare.

Wheres my tinfoil hat !

Agree. They've really upped their game in that regard. Getting what they got for Luis was a masterstroke.

A big improvement considering the disastrous signings of Shevchenko and Torres

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Agree. They've really upped their game in that regard. Getting what they got for Luis was a masterstroke.

I think Chelsea's transfer strategy is billionaires helping out other billionaires for favours down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think Chelsea's transfer strategy is billionaires helping out other billionaires for favours down the road.

That thought has crossed my mind once or twice. None more so than when Luiz went to PSG for 50m. Jaysus.

I knew it ,it’s the fecking illuminati again.

It’s always the fecking illuminati

Oh and theres my hat

43797d1328542935-weird-question-need-direct-magnet-energy-high-tech-tinfoil-hat.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Knex. wrote: »
    That thought has crossed my mind once or twice. None more so than when Luiz went to PSG for 50m. Jaysus.

PSG probably made that back selling David Luiz replica wigs.

Managing to get 37 million for a player that the manager ruined, then ostracised trumps it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Wheres my tinfoil hat !

In fairness Schurlle is a World Cup winner and was excellent over in Germany, he hardly flopped at Chelsea either he's young with resale value and can play a variety of positions, that and the fact Wolfsburg are a well off club it's not hard to see why they sold him at a good price, same can be said for de bruyne last year. Lukaku they made more than he was worth probably, Luiz is the only real head scratcher. No idea how they pulled that one off

So, lineup for tomorrow night then? I reckon it'll be a pretty strong lineup anyhow as I think Rodgers knows the importance of winning an actual trophy in some ways, although obviously in terms of job security the league is probably more notable, as was shown when he got the job in the first place.

It's a pity Ibe can't play. I reckon Allen, Manquillo and possibly Lovren will come in. Gerrard perhaps instead of Lallana, but I'm sure he'd want to play in the derby more given the choice. No way Gerrard doesn't start vs Everton if fit I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Id say gerrard wont start both games this week. Im sure hed rather start the derby but thankfully its not his decision. I think he should start the cup game and I think thats what rodgers will do. I think we should keep our pacy front three for the everton game with sterling coutinho and lallana starting, or else sturridge starting ahead of lallana. Gerrard and sturridge would be some nice firepower to have on the bench against everton if needed.

• Advertisement

Lallana isn't pacy really. I don't think Sturridge will start either going by what was said last weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Police have dropped their appeal over the 5:30pm kick off for the weekends derby

5starpool wrote: »
    So, lineup for tomorrow night then? I reckon it'll be a pretty strong lineup anyhow as I think Rodgers knows the importance of winning an actual trophy in some ways, although obviously in terms of job security the league is probably more notable, as was shown when he got the job in the first place.

It's a pity Ibe can't play. I reckon Allen, Manquillo and possibly Lovren will come in. Gerrard perhaps instead of Lallana, but I'm sure he'd want to play in the derby more given the choice. No way Gerrard doesn't start vs Everton if fit I reckon.

I agree on those three incomings, and Gerrard sits out again, but I think Lucas needs to start, because they got at us far too easily in the first game due to his absence.

Migs
    --Can---Lovren---Sakho--
    -Manq---Lucas
    Marko-
    Allen
    Hendo----
    Lallana

Lambert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think it would be naive to think there isn't something fishy about some of the fees they have received for players recently. No doubt some creative accounting going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I find not getting in a second choice goalkeeper even on a short term very bizarre to be honest after everything that happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Brad Jones being able to say "I'm Liverpools second choice goalkeeper" for at least another 5 or so months really is fcuking bizarre when you think about it.

I find not getting in a second choice goalkeeper even on a short term very bizarre to be honest after everything that happened.

Yep, until the recent improvement in goals conceded it was essential we got a keeper in.

We are gambling on that improvement continuing, and also gambling on Sturridge staying fit up top.

Playing a risky game tbh

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Brad Jones being able to say "I'm Liverpools second choice goalkeeper" for at least another 5 or so months really is fcuking bizarre when you think about it.

Is he even that?

Wasn't Ward backup on Saturday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I thoroughly do not understand people wetting themselves over a change of contract. It means sweet **** all.

But its Coutinho!

Funny enough I wasn't too worried about him anyway, I can see him with us for another couple of years at least.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Yep, until the recent improvement in goals conceded it was essential we got a keeper in.

We are gambling on that improvement continuing, and also gambling on Sturridge staying fit up top.

Playing a risky game tbh

I can get and can understand the Sturridge one there is 3 other forwards at the club and Sterling has done well there. I don't like it but understand it.

Ward and Jones aren't good enough even to be second choice and if anything happens Mignolet there really isn't any good enough replacement as was proven when he was dropped before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Brad Jones being able to say "I'm a goalkeeper" really is fcuking bizarre when you think about it.

FYP! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I knew it ,it’s the fecking illuminati again.

It’s always the fecking illuminati

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Is he even that?

Is Jones still injured? That may be the reason

Is he even that?

I'm pretty sure Jones is injured, even at that, Ward is more recognised as an U21s keeper. Neither of them should be anywhere near second choice. Thankfully Mignolet has improved significantly as of late. It's a scary thought to think that if he gets injured or his form suffers that Brad Jones/Danny Ward will be stepping in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

I'm pretty sure Jones is injured, even at that, Ward is more recognised as an U21s keeper. Neither of them should be anywhere near second choice. Thankfully Mignolet has improved significantly as of late. It's a scary thought to think that if he gets injured or his form suffers that Brad Jones/Danny Ward will be stepping in.

There wasn't much quality to choose from anyway. From the ones we were linked with, Neto is probably as bad as Mignolet and has signed a pre contract with Juve anyway, Romero is nothing special, Begovic has a risk factor about him and would only be a miniscule improvement on Mignolet and that's about it!

There's so few good available keepers out there and we'd have to break the bank to get anyone of a De Gea, Courtois, Lloris standard. I do think Cech will be let go in the next season or 2 and we should pounce on him immediately. Ter Stegen may become available too on loan and is a great young talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I thoroughly do not understand people wetting themselves over a change of contract. It means sweet **** all.

Not true. For the club it strengthens their hand in negotiations if one of the top European clubs come in for him and gives the club an opportunity to insert a prohibitive release clause value and for the player it gives him financial security for life even if he loses form or gets injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Not as fucking bizarre as when he was able to say he was 1st choice goalkeeper before he got injured.

What the hell was that about?

Knex. wrote: »
    Not as fucking bizarre as when he was able to say he was 1st choice goalkeeper before he got injured.

What the hell was that about?

I'm scared :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I'm scared :(

Hold me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement