Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Good old Arry won't be signing Johnson anytime soon now:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Colemania wrote: »
    There wasn't much quality to choose from anyway. From the ones we were linked with, Neto is probably as bad as Mignolet and has signed a pre contract with Juve anyway, Romero is nothing special, Begovic has a risk factor about him and would only be a miniscule improvement on Mignolet and that's about it!

There's so few good available keepers out there and we'd have to break the bank to get anyone of a De Gea, Courtois, Lloris standard. I do think Cech will be let go in the next season or 2 and we should pounce on him immediately. Ter Stegen may become available too on loan and is a great young talent.

At present, the bolded bold statement you've made is no longer true. Thanks be to fcuk. A special mention to the 3 in front of him getting it right too. Confidence all round between Mignolet, Can, Skrtel and Sakho.

That said I would still prefer a better second choice. However, we're in a better position than we were a few months ago. The 4 I've named seem to be working well together lately.

While there wasn't lot out there is still prefer the likes of Ter Stegen, Neto, Remero... anyone of a closer standard to Mignolet's current form than Ward & Jones. Even if it was only short term 'til we sort something in the Summer.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    At present, the bolded bold statement you've made is no longer true. Thanks be to fcuk. A special mention to the 3 in front of him getting it right too. Confidence all round between Mignolet, Can, Skrtel and Sakho.

A bigger special mention to the 1 in front of them.

Truth be told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Dickerty wrote: »
    He IS good. He's only 22, scored 26 goals last season and 7 this season in a team stuggling for creativity.
    He's also the reason they sold Charlie Austin to QPR, and the biggest reason they were promoted.

But I do agree, he's not what we need. Borini would probably have the same goals if he has played Championship last season. It's a big step up to our level...

I said he's not VERY good though, not to nitpick :)
    As you say, he's not an upgrade on Borini. He is a mid table player.

Its time to get real here, our competitors are bringing in the likes of Sanchez and Di Maria while we are pissing around with Ings, Lambert etc

Why we cutting corners in our attack line i will never understand.

Mignolet
    Can Skrtel Sakho
    L----U---C----A----S----L----E----I----V----A

Can't get much better cover than that tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

BenEadir wrote: »
    Not true. For the club it strengthens their hand in negotiations if one of the top European clubs come in for him and gives the club an opportunity to insert a prohibitive release clause value and for the player it gives him financial security for life even if he loses form or gets injured.

Ya, but it means nothing for the average fan. If the player gets better he'll get another improved contract or move on for a profit. If the player loses form he'll be on the same long term deal or moved on for similar or less.

If we are in a situation where he wants to move to a bigger club we have little power to stop him in the long term. If we make a profit from a player due to him being in great form we will be incapable of replacing the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Out of curiosity are there still many posters who would want Rodgers sacked tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭dogbert27

:(
    MR NINE wrote: »
    Id say gerrard wont start both games this week. Im sure hed rather start the derby but thankfully its not his decision. I think he should start the cup game and I think thats what rodgers will do. I think we should keep our pacy front three for the everton game with sterling coutinho and lallana starting, or else sturridge starting ahead of lallana. Gerrard and sturridge would be some nice firepower to have on the bench against everton if needed.

After dropping him against Real Madrid at the Bernabeau, his 19th anniversary game against Stoke it would take some balls from Rodgers to drop him for his LAST EVER Merseyside derby!!

Out of curiosity are there still many posters who would want Rodgers sacked tomorrow?

I am still not a fan yet. (He was always going to get till the end of the season)

I am happy to see Lucas back in and a consistent defence which were my biggest issues since he became manager that he wasn't working on coaching the defence.

I am still worried about his in game management and tactical awareness.

I would still be very worried about his transfer dealings in the future.

I happily have a balls to wall run in to the end of the season like we had last season with this defence and Lucas in the team and this attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

While there wasn't lot out there is still prefer the likes of Ter Stegen, Neto, Remero... anyone of a closer standard to Mignolet's current form than Ward & Jones. Even if it was only short term 'til we sort something in the Summer.

Ok I'll agree with you there alright. We do need a better backup and yes Romero would be fine for 2 million as quoted before but anything more would be a waste on a backup.

I'll be honest. I've NEVER wanted Rodgers sacked at any point since he started. Proved a point last season and after all the lows of the first half of this season, we're getting back on track now due to a change in his tactics. Yes he says some awful stuff in the media but he's a fantastic man manager (most of the time) and has some great attacking philosophies and finally we are starting to see the defence taking shape so it's clear he's learning.

He'll win us a trophy if he's kept on in the next few seasons. Will it be a league trophy? Who knows but it'd be more likely an FA or League Cup.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Footballs a fickle game and people will change their mind all the time. I would love to see BR as manager in 10 years time because it means he has done a great job at Liverpool. I have always felt that way about any manager that has had the Liverpool job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Never not once did I want him sacked, thought it was a bit pathetic many fans jumping on him and the Rodgers out campaign after a bad start to the season. There is some negatives about the guy but I think he is on the way to becoming a top manager and I hope its at Liverpool. The football his Swansea side and this Liverpool side play is a joy to watch when the right players are on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No, I don't want him sacked because he has turned it around to some extent.

I'd likely be singing a different tune if the form since Crystal Palace and the CL exit had been maintained.

There is no point saying he is the right man for he job if after two and a half years he has us out of all comps, out of the CL running and trophyless btw - it is only natural people questioned him. There are still big question marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

. I have always felt that way about any manager that has had the Liverpool job.

hodgson-face-rub-o.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If we finish 5th - how would people feel about him then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Its looking more likely tbf. I'd be happy(ish) with 5th

After losing Suarez we would always struggle to find the same form, if its 5th next year tho.....

Do we get to change our mind if we finish 4th or 6th?

Or will some posters call us pathetic for voicing our opinion now and answering that question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I'd be ok with it. United were always going to recover given the money they spent, so that leave us, Arsenal and Spurs after 1 spot. Given the loss of Suarez, the decline of Stevie and losing Sturridge for 5 months, I think 5th is reasonable.
    As long as we continue to develop the next wave of stars (Coutinho, Sterling, Can, Moreno, Marko) to add to the experienced quality we have (Hendo, Sturridge, Lallana, Lucas) and can still attract some stars to fill that out (CM, GK, Striker), then 5th is ok for this season.

The FA or Europa Cup would be huge icing on an average cake though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Disappointed but hopeful for the next season as to come fourth/fifth we will have to have gone on a run similar to the one that almost brought us the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I never gave Rodgers full credit for our run last year, and I don't give him full blame for our poor start.
    But with the squad/budget we have, and the teams we are competing with at the top, 4th is a very difficult task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

For me, the jury is still out.

He has some talent obviously but there are glaring problems with how he views defence and his tactics in this area. Someone mentioned how he would handle Lucas leaving and coaching a player into the role ... that will be interesting to say the least. His judge of player leaves a lot to be desired and he talks too much.

If he fixes these things, I think he could be a good manager for us.

I still find him incredibly annoying though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I posted before I think his value has dropped to 4-6M
    We will pay him another 2M in wages between now and the summer.
    So raising his value this season to 6-8M is a push, and maybe just maybe we could have got a desperate club to pay 6-8M now.

With thst sort of chat you may get a job on the commitee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I posted before I think his value has dropped to 4-6M
    We will pay him another 2M in wages between now and the summer.
    So raising his value this season to 6-8M is a push, and maybe just maybe we could have got a desperate club to pay 6-8M now.

With that sort of chat you may get a job on the commitee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

noodler wrote: »
    No, I don't want him sacked because he has turned it around to some extent.

I'd likely be singing a different tune if the form since Crystal Palace and the CL exit had been maintained.

There is no point saying he is the right man for he job if after two and a half years he has us out of all comps, out of the CL running and trophyless btw - it is only natural people questioned him. There are still big question marks.

The biggest question mark i have is his prowess in the transfer market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I've been really consistent from the start of this season and even times last season when we were flying that I'd replace Rodgers. Again I'll reiterate that I hope he proves me wrong and he is here a long time as that should mean he has been successful. That might be a pathetic opinion to some after the journey last season but I couldn't give a gee, it's my opinion. I have my reasons, which are that I believe his faults outweigh his positive attributes.

Anyway, while he is Liverpool manager I will be fully behind him as I want my team to do well. The theory that certain fans want the club to struggle to get rid of the manager doesn't wash with me tbh.

If you have a problem with Rodgers if you have a problem with FSG.

If we finish 5th that is about our level IMO if you take financial clout into account. Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Man United can all go out and spend £40m plus on any single player we simply can't and we don't have the wage structure to support players of that standard either.

So what we have again IMO is the situation Arsenal found themselves in for years, finishing 4th on a shoestring while they built and paid off there new stadium.
    Only now the Top 4 landscape is a lot more competitive there's us, Arsenal, Spurs,Southampton and in the near future West Ham with the revenue from there new stadium will have a serious go at cracking the Top 4.

What I do think we have that our rivals don't is a crop of young players with serious potential. That is our future, developing young talent and to be fair Rodgers has shown he is excellent with young players.

Priority one for the club should be sorting our transfer policy because its horrendous. We have some signed some excellent players and some with great potential but there has been a huge amount of money spent on mediocre players.

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    The biggest question mark i have is his prowess in the transfer market

That is a matter for the club as a whole, unfair to lie the blame solely on Rodgers. I'm sure Rodgers would love a crop of world class players. The system they employ is broken or impractical. Bring in an experienced sporting director to work with Rodgers.

Rodgers won't work with a sporting director.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

if we had of sold borini we would have got bony or someone of that ilk.
    Imagine how the season would have went then. We are clearly on a tight rope with FFP.borini made a balls of it last summer by not leaving for 14 million. If he went we would not be looking at mario with his zero league goals

Rogers is doing a great job. there is a serious squad there now and we only need to buy 4 player in the summer - goalie, right back, CM, Striker.
    the cost of these will be offset by the clear out of all the dead wood
    Aspas, borini, ballotelli, alberto, coates, toure, johnson, & allen.

brevity wrote: »

What are the options so? It's clear as day to me there is too many stats guys, and money men sitting on this committee who don't know a whole pile about football. Value is obviously the name of the game FSG tell them to play, when they should be buying the right player.

I don't think any manager should have carte blanche over transfer business tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

brevity wrote: »

What if we change the title to "Sporting Technician"?

rob316 wrote: »
    What are the options so? It's clear as day to me there is too many stats guys, and money men sitting on this committee who don't know a whole pile about football. Value is obviously the name of the game FSG tell them to play, when they should be buying the right player.

I don't think any manager should have carte blanche over transfer business tbh.

Fwiw, I would be in favour of getting in a sporting director as I feel the way we do business is slow and detrimental to the club.

I think stats has a place but it shouldn't be the be all and end all of our transfer policy.

We need to rethink our wage structure and start signing some winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Is Allen injured?

Knex. wrote: »
    What if we change the title to "Sporting Technician"?

Assistant to the sporting technician!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd want him keel-hauled over to Mr Alans house :pac:

Talking about finishing places is rather reductive - the gap between 4th and 5th could be goal difference. We can all have a moan but if the team is demonstrably better working in May than in Sept and the style is good and the younger players are working at a higher level it would be quite reckless to willingly ditch the person who oversaw that improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

LOAN WATCH

L. Alberto Málaga - Unused sub
    J. Carlos Brighton - unused sub
    D. Origi Lille - 70th minutes Sub in 1-1 draw
    T. Ilori Bordeaux - full game in 1-1 draw
    A. Wisdom West Bromwich - played full game in 3-0 defeat to Spurs
    S. Coates Sunderland - unused sub
    I. Aspas Sevilla - full game and winning goal against Valenica
    L. Jones Cheltenham full game in in 3-1 defeat
    K. Stewart* Cheltenham - no game
    J. Dunn* Cheltenham 84 mins and goal in 3-1 defeat
    C. Randall Shrewsbury - unused sub

Notes

Steward and Dunn (who is injured) have been recalled to Liverpool as loans are over, however Jones will stay at Cheltenham for rest of season.

Sheyi Ojo is now on loan at Wigan Athletic

Ryan McLaughlin has been linked with Rotherham but no word on that.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Is Allen injured?

I don't think so. He played against Bolton in the cup for an hour before being replaced for doing very little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Should Gerrard play a full game tomorrow? Personally prefer to see him on the bench and starting at the weekend.

What about Sturridge? Bench or starting line up?

Would like to see Lallana start. An injury free run of games and I can see him putting in some quality performances.

No need to tinker with the defence, they're doing really well at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Realistically speaking we have a roughly 20% chance of a top four finish, so finishing 5th, or worse, is an outcome we should all be braced for. Id be happy to see rodgers remain in charge if we finished 5th or 6th this season, provided our performances were at the recent standard and not that of the first four months of the season. I think, at worst, we'll be within 4/5 points of fourth come the end of season. I think we have a chance but there might have been too much damage done in the first half of the season. We would need 2.2 ppg or thereabouts to get it imo, which is a little too much to ask probably. However, if we finish 5th or 6th, having made a good push for top four and recovered from our dire first half of the season, id be all in favour of giving rodgers another season, though it would probably be a make or break season.

magma69 wrote: »
    Should Gerrard play a full game tomorrow? Personally prefer to see him on the bench and starting at the weekend.

What about Sturridge? Bench or starting line up?

Would like to see Lallana start. An injury free run of games and I can see him putting in some quality performances.

No need to tinker with the defence, they're doing really well at the moment.

Good question because I'd be fairly certain he'll play v Everton, his last derby.

I think he should be kept on the bench until 60 mins. If needed bring him on, before that if needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Good question because I'd be fairly certain he'll play v Everton, his last derby.

I think he should be kept on the bench until 60 mins. If needed bring him on, before that if needs be.

This is what bothers me - the thought that it's his last derby shouldn't enter Rodgers' head in the slightest. I think he's far more valuable to us off the bench on Saturday.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Is Allen injured?

Jesus I'd nearly forgotten about Allen these last couple of weeks.

mosstin wrote: »
    This is what bothers me - the thought that it's his last derby shouldn't enter Rodgers' head in the slightest. I think he's far more valuable to us off the bench on Saturday.

Gerrard still has plenty to offer and other players will need a rest. We are in the beginning of a period of 9 weeks of 2 games per week afaik.

I'd have no problem putting Gerrard into a big game such as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Anyone know if we are on the box tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Gmol wrote: »
    Anyone know if we are on the box tomorrow?

Yep. On BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

rarnes1 wrote: »

Simply put you have to start Gerrard on Saturday. It's a local derby and you need someone in the team to make sure the players know how important it is to win. So he should start and hopefully another hat trick aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

mosstin wrote: »

If he scores / assists or plays a few key passes in first half, would you still think it's a bad idea to play him from the start? Sometimes you have to consider motivation when selecting a team, Gerrard is that type of player who loves the battle of the derby and thrives in that sort of ol fashioned english game.
    He comes into his own in these games by (yes, still) inspiring those around him to believe we have the right to win, to dominate. Above all you know he will leave it out there, being his last game against Everton. He starts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Yep. On BBC.

Its on Setanta also

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement