Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Dickerty wrote: »
    Is he not cup tied?

Yeah played 30 minutes as a sub in round 3 against Southport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

8-10 wrote: »

The ones that come through like Rossiter and Ibe recently obviously hold a lot more interest. But I couldn't care less about how such and such a 16/17 yr old played in the U-21's last week or on loan at Brentford etc.

Rossiter did a leg in his last game, could be out for a while (ie rest of season), that's the sort of thing one knows when it happens if you keep an eye on the kids rather than wondering later "what happened to?" when he doesn't get included in a senior squad selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Rossiter did a leg in his last game, could be out for a while (ie rest of season), that's the sort of thing one knows when it happens if you keep an eye on the kids rather than wondering later "what happened to?" when he doesn't get included in a senior squad selection.

I'm with ya Harry!

And when Adam Phillips starts in the Community Shield later this year (:D), we'll be two of the few that know anything about him! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Dickerty wrote: »
    Coutinho should take them IMO, since he's not much of a threat in the box or around the edge.

Always confused me why more full backs don't take corners, for example, when they are often some of the best crossers...

I'd rather have someone to just thump it at goal than let Couthinio have a crack.

All the good attributes wee Phil has, shooting is not one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

But I can just ask why isn't he involved and you can tell me :)

I just don't have the time, however I do do it for some of my other teams. For example I'll probably watch most of Red Sox spring training games and will keep tabs on our 'bigger' prospects at the minor league level throughout the season so when they get a call up to the Major roster or get used as a pawn in a trade I'll know where they're at and have the background stats on them. Essentially exactly the same thing, just can't be doing it for everything! I don't think Liverpool have the youth team to first team ratio at the same level, in soccer the players just seem to be bought in more than developed in-house. You'd essentially be watching the players of tomorrow, who will be playing for a different team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I really enjoy watching the youth games. They play very nice football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I really enjoy watching the youth games. They play very nice football.

UCD U19s play very nice football. Who gives a ****.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

No one unless they have an interest in how the UCD senior squad may play in the future. Why not accept that we're not all like you?

You know we really could do with an thumbs down "unthanks" button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

No one unless they have an interest in how the UCD senior squad may play in the future. Why not accept that we're not all like you?

You know we really could do with an thumbs down "unthanks" button

God no.

We already have to deal with one clique button. A second one would kill all notions of discussion. We would end up with a bunch of sycophantic, like minded people nodding in agreement with each other all day and we already have enough of that.

Haven't you ever used reddit? That's what happens when a downvote button exists.

• Advertisement

post_thanks.gif :pac:

You know we really could do with an thumbs down "unthanks" button.

I accept that, but I nonetheless reserve my right to express my opinion on a topic in a straightforward fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Meh, Cortana's dead to me after I had to endure rescuing her from the High Charity.

I like Liverpool. I like watching good football.

Its not complicated.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Yes indeed, if they aren't playing "winning" football, why bother - right?

Who gives a **** might be people who enjoying watching sport, rather than those who need the cosy camaraderie of a commercially driven leisure activity / marketing opportunity that we call football fandom..*

* I belong to both camps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

The U21 and minor hurling championships are fantastic. It's not quite the same but college ball in the states is also brilliant to watch. I don't watch the academy teams much but only an idiot would not understand the draw to it. When I do watch it I always think the kids look a bit over coached tho- especially in comparison to the sports I just mentioned where there's a rawness to the game that makes it exciting. You get it in the F.A youth cup mind, which is always worth a watch. The ridiculous hyping of players however annoys the b a l l s off me... the new Steven Gerrard.... The Irish Messi....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What's the point of watching winning football if its not entertaining or exciting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

rob316 wrote: »
    What's the point of watching winning football if its not entertaining or exciting?

We didn't complain in 2001 with Houlliers dogs of war.

I'll bet Kolo starts a game before Balo does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lovren & Balotelli not even on the bench for the cup. Can see both being sold in the summer.
    Feel a little bit for Lovren as when he played he had no protection at all. He did play poor but I still think he is a good CB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

MD1990 wrote: »
    Lovren & Balotelli not even on the bench for the cup. Can see both being sold in the summer.

Both have been disasters, neither can complain about it tbf. Another 35 mill we look to have pissed away.

Lovern may be salvageable in the current set up...Balotelli is a lost cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Vanolder wrote: »
    The U21 and minor hurling championships are fantastic. It's not quite the same but college ball in the states is also brilliant to watch. I don't watch the academy teams much but only an idiot would not understand the draw to it. When I do watch it I always think the kids look a bit over coached tho- especially in comparison to the sports I just mentioned where there's a rawness to the game that makes it exciting. You get it in the F.A youth cup mind, which is always worth a watch. The ridiculous hyping of players however annoys the b a l l s off me... the new Steven Gerrard.... The Irish Messi....

Jaysus, I must have missed this one.

klose wrote: »
    Both have been disasters, neither can complain about it tbf. Another 35 mill we look to have pissed away.

Ballotelli is done I'd say. Don't think he'll ever fit.

Lovern could still work. There were calls for Sakho to be sold a few months ago too. Markovik as well. Lovern played in the side when Gerrard was a defensive midfielder and the whole defensive system was a mess. I'd give him a pass for that reason.

Mario is like reverse Chuck Norris

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

rob316 wrote: »

Winning is all the excitement I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Lovren deserves another chance. He has been poor so far for liverpool but its still a relatively small amount of games and it was at a time when gerrard was our holding midfielder, mignolet was at his very worst and the entire team was playing poorly and shipping a lot of goals, cant blame it all on lovren. He'll have to be patient to wait for his chance, sakho can and skrtel are three of the first names on the teamsheet and rightly so. However, i wouldnt give up on lovren just yet, id happily keep him around as back up for the moment, he could yet prove his worth.

Is he not injured at the moment? I thought hed picked up a knock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    Winning is all the excitement I need.

If fans only care about playing good football we'll turn into Spurs quickly enough. Winning matters most and I don't care how ugly and dogged we are to achieve that. Winning and playing 'nice' football is great but very hard to achieve outside of the very elite teams.

If Lovren is being given another chance (and so he should) because the system (and staff) we were using at the time didn't suit him, why does Balotelli not deserve another chance now that Sturridge is back and we haven't seen what he's like with another quality striker on the pitch.
    I get that his work ethic has been poor but if he'd been scoring a few goals this wouldn't have been as big an issue.

mosstin wrote: »
    If Lovren is being given another chance (and so he should) because the system (and staff) we were using at the time didn't suit him, why does Balotelli not deserve another chance now that Sturridge is back and we haven't seen what he's like with another quality striker on the pitch.
    I get that his work ethic has been poor but if he'd been scoring a few goals this wouldn't have been as big an issue.

But who do you drop for him?

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »

I'd leave the back 3 they way they are right now all 3 are playing well.

If Lovren is to be used I would like to see Lovren--Can--Sakho back 3.

I'm not Skrtel's biggest fan but he has done very well in this system and it would be hard on him to be dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'd leave the back 3 they way they are right now all 3 are playing well.

If Lovren is to be used I would like to see Lovren--Can--Sakho back 3.

I'm not Skrtel's biggest fan but he has done very well in this system and it would be hard on him to be dropped.

I think he means who do you drop for Balotelli if he's to come in beside Danny?

To be honest I don't particularly want to have him in the starting XI - he hasn't shown enough. I do think he deserves a place on the bench though and could be useful to come on in tandem with Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Lovren has to stay on the bench until a drop in form from the current back three.

Dissapointd to see Allen start, is Lucas injured?

On Balotelli then .. If he was to come into the team the system would have to change back to a 4-4-2 to suit his strenghts.

Right now we need to stick to the system that is working and that's not 4-4-2 so he replaces some on the bench that's all.

Dissapointd to see Allen start, is Lucas injured?

Allen more than capable to start against Bolton, Lucas has a slight injury, he gets a rest anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

In the whole time Coutinho has been at the club, why has no one asked him to try curling the ball with the inside of his foot when he shoots?

Kolo is going to the Final!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

I know we've been generally poor but Gerrard or Allen should not be starting another game this season. Be it as a 2 together or with somebody else. 2 of them out for a stroll

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Iago Aspas scores his second league goal in the last 2 games. Against Real Madrid at the Bernabeu.

Off the bench and putting Sevilla back in the game at 2-1.

Should do his confidence no end of good.

bur wrote: »
    In the whole time Coutinho has been at the club, why has no one asked him to try curling the ball with the inside of his foot when he shoots?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

bur wrote: »

Boom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I know people here will disect and criticise some aspects of tonight's performance but I think they played very well and coming back and winning like that can be a massive boost to confidence that can help in the remaining games.

You play to win the game. Onwards.

Funny game that, Liverpool were getting better and better against 11 men but when Bolton went down to 10 all that was good became bad - Coutinho was the worst offender but Gerrard also poor. Instead of looking after possession and stretching tiring legs Liverpool starting shooting from silly places or attempting eye of the needle passes that were never really on.

Typical that it took the calm composure of a German to actually pick a perfect ball for Sterling to run on to. Emre Can is going to be massive - he has everything bar a slight lack of pace when he is pushed hard in a sprint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Great comeback. The potential of our young attacking players is huge. Can is a worthy successor of the no. 23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

And Rodgers gets slagged for the cheesy one liners :P

Being honest you can see the difference of not having Lucas in there breaking up play.

Allen and Gerrard are a horrible midfield partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Deserved win, games against lower league teams are often tricky affairs. Two goals of real quality tonight.
    Can is a frightening talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I play to try out skills I saw watching an under 14s match.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement