Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I didn't take my morning break or lunch at work today so I could finish early to see this game :(

Both managers and both squads should all chip in and treat me to my lunch on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Augeo wrote: »
    Saves me having to say crap like, "as I mentioned earlier" etc etc

"I told you so" is what I think you mean by re-quoting yourself. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Pretty infuriating that a must win game, let alone a derby, and Gerrard's last ever, petered out in such a timid, limp and boring fashion.

Knex. wrote: »
    Pretty infuriating that a must win game, let alone a derby, and Gerrard's last ever, petered out in such a timid, limp and boring fashion.

The whole season looks like it could go that way too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Yup,

Was disappointed we didn't have a little bit more in us, and both teams played for the draw towards the end imo.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think they played the occasion rather than the team.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The whole season looks like it could go that way too.

Realistically after our awful start to the season we were left with too much to do. Still not beyond us to finish top 4, but it's not very likely sadly, and we can't afford to drop many more points.

Hopefully we can have a good crack at a cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Kirby wrote: »
    Rodgers just said Liverpool were outstanding.

Yeah.

Sure.

"Gerrard terrific. Terrific work rate without the ball".

Did he actually say that or were you just unable to follow what was going on again?

5starpool wrote: »
    Realistically after our awful start to the season we were left with too much to do. Still not beyond us to finish top 4, but it's not very likely sadly, and we can't afford to drop many more points.

The EL needs to be the number 1 cup then the league then the FA cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The EL needs to be the number 1 cup then the league then the FA cup.

Absolutely. EL will guarantee us CL next year if we won

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

5starpool wrote: »

Yeah, the important aspects of the season were over when the final whistle went against Basle unfortunately. And that CL exit provides more than enough reason to not expect too much from the EL (something that could save the season).

But they have to keep playing and Rodgers certainly needs to keep picking up wins. A regression to early season form between now and the end of the season would finish him imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Liverpool didn't play well, were knackered from midweek, took off their best player and were still comfortably the better team, everton are dire and Martinez is indeed a spoofer, glad we swerved him, 2 points dropped though nonetheless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, the important aspects of the season were over when the final whistle went against Basle unfortunately. And that CL exit provides more than enough reason to not expect too much from the EL (something that could save the season).

But they have to keep playing and Rodgers certainly needs to keep picking up wins. A regression to early season form between now and the end of the season would finish him imo.

Do you do charts and graphs of Liverpool's season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Kirby wrote: »
    Rodgers just said Liverpool were outstanding.

Yeah.

Sure.

"Gerrard terrific. Terrific work rate without the ball".
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Did he actually say that or were you just unable to follow what was going on again?

See these little things? "" They are called quotation marks. They signify a quote. When a person uses them, it means the content of the message is not their own, but words from another person.

But then again, you don't realise his first name is Brendan and keep referring to him as The Rodgers so I'm not surprised you were confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

monkey9 wrote: »
    I think they played the occasion rather than the team.

Would agree with that. Definitely how it seemed to me, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

"I told you so" is what I think you mean by re-quoting yourself. :)

I hope he continues to do it but hope he starts using "we" instead of "I"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

We should have started with Sturridge and tried to win the game.
    Silly The Rodgers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Augeo wrote: »
    It adds clarity imo :)
    Saves me having to say crap like, "as I mentioned earlier" etc etc
    Apologies if you find it weird but it suits me

No need to apologise. I just find it a bit odd but sure nearly everyone on here is odd in one way or another. It's why I love it.

Your league form was dire when ye got knocked out of the CL, ye are playing better, new formation in a cup with lesser teams and you don't expect much? Plus ye have sturridge back not sure if ye can win it but if games fell your way do u not think yed have a chance.

I hope he continues to do it but hope he starts using "we" instead of "I"

?

That makes no sense at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Someone mentioned it but the lack of urgency toward the end of the game was alarming. It was like the players believed a draw was a decent result and at a certain point near the end were happy to settle. It actually looked like they were slowing the game down trying to run the clock. It was very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Honestly I wouldn't care if Gerrard played another game. He's a pity wherever he plays. So sad how much he has fallen. No room for sentiment in today's game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

darced wrote: »
    What a disappointing result.The game passed Gerrard bye which is sad to see,he should have been subbed after 70 mins or so.

Sakho was comically bad at times,I get the feeling something wasn't right with him today.

Can was decent but lots of mistakes again in amongst the good stuff,Skrtel man of the match by a street.

Rodgers got it wrong today and to play for the draw at the end is infuriating but it still could be a good point at the end of the season.

Who did get MOTM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Ibe.

darced wrote: »

Was it just Sakhos passing that was bad cause it seems to be the way with him, if u watched the germany france game during the world cup, germany pushed high up the pitch and pressed everyone bar Sahko they just let him have the ball and pressurised his passes immensley, which led to him getting worse and he was eventuallly replaced. I remember it cause I thought it was a really inovative tactic.

Who did get MOTM?

Jordan Ibe. Delighted for him :) the next Sterling... and Sterling has a long way to go yet. Frightening prospects.

Sturridge-Sterling-Ibe. They're like them Russian Matryoshka
    dolls that decrease in size, one placed inside the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Surely sturridge can start games now. We'll need him for 2 critical games now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Vicxas wrote: »
    Surely sturridge can start games now. We'll need him for 2 critical games now.

It seems the plan is to bring his match fitness on slowly to minimise another breakdown.

Until Roy breaks him again...

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Jermaine Jenas and Danny Murphy. They need some panelists with opinions, sick of these company men. I'm starting to miss the RTE version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Jermaine Jenas and Danny Murphy. They need some panelists with opinions, sick of these company men. I'm starting to miss the RTE version.

They're analysis is really ****.

'Look, here we see 5 players running to attack. They attacked in numbers. Look at the arrows. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. He got a bit of space and passed it in - goal'.

RTE lads were always better than MOTD as they actually had opinions and werent afraid to express them, and be controversial, even if they were totally wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

monkey9 wrote: »
    Do you do charts and graphs of Liverpool's season?

I'm sure there is a barb here but I'm not smart enough to figure out what it is unfortunately.
    Your league form was dire when ye got knocked out of the CL, ye are playing better, new formation in a cup with lesser teams and you don't expect much? Plus ye have sturridge back not sure if ye can win it but if games fell your way do u not think yed have a chance.

Yeah I don't expect much in the EL as European success depends on defensive solidity and tactical nous and our manager has demonstrated zero ability in the arena of competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

J Mysterio wrote: »
    They're analysis is really ****.

'Look, here we see 5 players running to attack. They attacked in numbers. Look at the arrows. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. He got a bit of space and passed it in - goal'.

RTE lads were always better than MOTD as they actually had opinions and werent afraid to express them, and be controversial, even if they were totally wrong.

'Look at the desire when they lose the ball'

What really happened was the spurs players strolled back as one of the midfield players got a lucky tackle in. :confused:

Yeah I don't expect much in the EL as European success depends on defensive solidity and tactical nous and our manager has demonstrated zero ability in the arena of competition.

But since the formation change ye have looked so much better overall and changing formation during the season surely shows adaptability from ur manager.

He tried to play how ye did last season, tried to integrate Balotelli but abandoned both when they werent working and has ye playing good football again. I do think he is over using gerrard but BR has impressed me this season and thats coming from a rival fan.

Maybe european football is a step too far this season but if I was a pool fan I'd have hope going into it and have confidence in him to get it right maybe i'm jumping the gun but ye look to have a very capable manager and being selfish would love if the fans against him pushed him outta the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Sigh.

So obvious.

Straight on seeing confirmed squad tonight: points dropped.

The subs made it worse. Coutinho and sterling off? Best keep the mighty Gerrard on. Scoff.

But since the formation change ye have looked so much better overall and changing formation during the season surely shows adaptability from ur manager.

He tried to play how ye did last season, tried to integrate Balotelli but abandoned both when they werent working and has ye playing good football again. I do think he is over using gerrard but BR has impressed me this season and thats coming from a rival fan.

Maybe european football is a step too far this season but if I was a pool fan I'd have hope going into it and have confidence in him to get it right maybe i'm jumping the gun but ye look to have a very capable manager and being selfish would love if the fans against him pushed him outta the club.

I fall somewhere in the middle so just to play devils advocate to this post as I can see from someone looking in from the outside with maybe not the same concentration on the situation as a Liverpool fan some of the detail gets lost.

The system for a start isn't hugely different to last season. The formation change has completely turned our season but only because we couldn't get a back four to work.

Lucas has been revelatory in this run but the manager did everything but play him when it seemed obvious to every man and his dog that we needed a proper DM. He almost ostriced our best defender in Sahko until it became obvious that we just couldn't give Lovren any more chances. Again Sahko has been instrumental in this run but was forced onto the manager.

Johnson exclusion has only come at the expense of an injury. He's terrible yet Rodgers played him every game he could earlier in the season when a blind man could see how badly he was playing. He only stopped playing Jones in goals when he got injured. I can't tell you how lucky that was as had he persisted with him he could already be gone. His in game mangement is terrible and shows no sign of improvement. I could write pages on the Balo situation but while he hasn't played well his use and treatment by the manager I think has been terrible. Lots more I could talk about not least including the Gerrard situation.

He has done some very good stuff but this post is to try and balance yours so im not delving into that side before people jump at me not being fair. I'm just trying to point out that he has IMO had huge slices of luck this season and many of the problems were of his own making following mistakes made earlier in the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Jordan Ibe. Delighted for him :) the next Sterling... and Sterling has a long way to go yet. Frightening prospects.

Sheyi Ojo (some of you won't have heard of him ;)) was MOTM for Wigan today and he only came on for the last 25 mins!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Sheyi Ojo (some of you won't have heard of him ;)) was MOTM for Wigan today and he only came on for the last 25 mins!

They lost 3-1 and he got MOTM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Ill tell you what, for a manager with as many completely obvious short comings as Rodgers i'm amazed he got beyond sunday league level...

No ability to adjust in game.
    Awful in the transfer market.
    Can't coach a defence.
    Stubborn to a fault.
    Any creditable changes can simply put down to as luck.
    His offensive strategies are just average and carried by the players.
    I could go one but i'll leave it there...

Some fans make my head hurt. How people can't see what a ridic talented YOUNG manager we have i just don't understand. He's not the finished article but he really could be a special manager. Very few managers at his age are as accomplished or have had such a positive impact on a club that was in a poor state when he took over.

I know Ojo improved hugely over the last number of months but I was never that impressed with him. He always struck me as lazy without much football intelligence. He made up for lots of short comings with power and pace but these become less important as you move up to senior level. It will be interesting to see how he gets on but I think he is way behind Ibe at the same age and light years behind Sterling at the same age.

I fall somewhere in the middle so just to play devils advocate to this post as I can see from someone looking in from the outside with maybe not the same concentration on the situation as a Liverpool fan some of the detail gets lost.

The system for a start isn't hugely different to last season. The formation change has completely turned our season but only because we couldn't get a back four to work.

Lucas has been revelatory in this run but the manager did everything but play him when it seemed obvious to every man and his dog that we needed a proper DM. He almost ostriced our best defender in Sahko until it became obvious that we just couldn't give Lovren any more chances. Again Sahko has been instrumental in this run but was forced onto the manager.

Johnson exclusion has only come at the expense of an injury. He's terrible yet Rodgers played him every game he could earlier in the season when a blind man could see how badly he was playing. He only stopped playing Jones in goals when he got injured. I can't tell you how lucky that was as had he persisted with him he could already be gone. His in game mangement is terrible and shows no sign of improvement. I could write pages on the Balo situation but while he hasn't played well his use and treatment by the manager I think has been terrible. Lots more I could talk about not least including the Gerrard situation.

He has done some very good stuff but this post is to try and balance yours so im not delving into that side before people jump at me not being fair. I'm just trying to point out that he has IMO had huge slices of luck this season and many of the problems were of his own making following mistakes made earlier in the season.

Honestly cheers for that very insightfull response, your right you never look as deeply into another team as you do your own. I wouldnt have know half of that from my few viewings of liverpool.

Half my gripe comes from people expecting too much too soon I guess even over the course of a couple of games. I enjoy the premier league and I do think BR has added to it in a good way.

Nice to be able to look for things from a new perspective even though when ye are a danger to us I'll hope ye lose through gritted admiration (if, when) ye play good football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

DVDM93 wrote: »

Someone has to make that sh1t happen in visual format

Honestly cheers for that very insightfull response, your right you never look as deeply into another team as you do your own. I wouldnt have know half of that from my few viewings of liverpool.

Half my gripe comes from people expecting too much too soon I guess even over the course of a couple of games. I enjoy the premier league and I do think BR has added to it in a good way.

Nice to be able to look for things from a new perspective even though when ye are a danger to us I'll hope ye lose through gritted admiration (if, when) ye play good football

Cheers, I hope it is taken in the context that I could write an equally positive post about Rodgers. It seems judging on some of the posts since from even Liverpool fans have failed to understand that. I agree completely with people expecting too much too soon and last season overachievment has added to that. Still though the managers expectation as outlined when he got the job was by the 3rd season to have a team making top 4. If that doesn't happen this season I think we need to at least ask questions.

• Advertisement

Put your wink face back in your pocket pal wasn't I talking to you about Ojo 5 months ago?!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

welp

B9SIQhDIUAACiWA.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

rob316 wrote: »
    Honestly I wouldn't care if Gerrard played another game. He's a pity wherever he plays. So sad how much he has fallen. No room for sentiment in today's game
    Totally agree with you Rob. I was reading an article from stephen hunt about his FA cup game the other week. he basically said he thought he played well in the game. he then went on to say he went home that night and watched the game and realized that he was totally average in the game...he did nothing bad but did nothing good.
    I would love to know if gerard went home and watched that game and copped how truely awful he was yesterday. he is a dead weight on the team now, his legs are gone and if he really had liverpool at heart he should walk in tomorrow morning and tell rogers that he does not expect to play every game. The is liverpool fc not steven gerard fc....how many "this is steven gerards last game in bollockology games" will we have before now and the end of the season

he should have came off for sturridge and we didn't win the game because of him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bowlardo wrote: »
    . he is a dead weight on the team now, his legs are gone..

People keep saying this, yet either deliberately or otherwise refuse to acknowledge that he still does plenty of running . Twice at around the 115 min mark against Chelsea it was Gerrard tracking back in to our box and making challenges. Hes playing further up the pitch with younger runners all around .Hes still getting in to positions and still getting on the ball plenty. Just because you don't see him spend full 90 minutes sprinting up and down the pitch doesn't mean he cant run. Hes playing a different role in a different system.

It's a wonder more people aren't earning a couple of million a year managing pl clubs, sure its so easy. Personally, as much as I have issues with Rogers, I'm glad the team isn't picked by a fans ballot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

T-K-O wrote: »
    They lost 3-1 and he got MOTM?

He was that good! :D
    Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Ill tell you what, for a manager with as many completely obvious short comings as Rodgers i'm amazed he got beyond sunday league level...

No ability to adjust in game.
    Awful in the transfer market.
    Can't coach a defence.
    Stubborn to a fault.
    Any creditable changes can simply put down to as luck.
    His offensive strategies are just average and carried by the players.
    I could go one but i'll leave it there...

Some fans make my head hurt. How people can't see what a ridic talented YOUNG manager we have i just don't understand. He's not the finished article but he really could be a special manager. Very few managers at his age are as accomplished or have had such a positive impact on a club that was in a poor state when he took over.

Its worth pointing out that Rodgers win rate (and yes its still early days, so "regression to the mean" may not have occurred yet) is 56% which puts him 5th on the LFC manager list behind

Paisley 65%
    Dalglish (1985-1991) 61%
    McKenna 60.38%
    Benitez 56.29%

not too shabby really. That said if Liverpool are to finish in the CL spots this year that rate will need to be a few % higher.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement