Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Sheyi Ojo (some of you won't have heard of him ;)) was MOTM for Wigan today and he only came on for the last 25 mins!
    T-K-O wrote: »
    They lost 3-1 and he got MOTM?

The Wigan Gazette doesn't count Harry
    welp

B9SIQhDIUAACiWA.jpg

He's gona need friends in LA, I admire his foresight and planning tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Who the **** is Niall Horan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

New signing for New York, going to be a goal machine and the perfect foil for Lampard.

Martin O'Neill is looking in to his eligibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

We'll have less of the AH sh*te around here Harry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Young lad we're apparently signing from New York, supposed to be the real deal. 'The next Lampard'. I know every second Young player coming through the ranks is tipped as 'the next x player' but Madrid and Barca and even Munich I think offered millions for him. Delighted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Bowlardo wrote: »
    he should have came off for sturridge and we didn't win the game because of him..

This is absolute nonsense.

We didn't win the game because most of our players didn't play as well as they could have. It was a decent performance, but lacked any cutting edge. In particular, all our attacking players did not play well. Sterling was dithering and wasteful. Coutinho's final ball was poor. Gerrard did little of note. Ibe was the only one who played well in an attacking sense. Hit the post after a great run and then his cross set up Sturridge's chance.

Now, imo Gerrard should have come off, but to say he is the reason we didn't win the game is bull.

Last night certainly justified Ibe being recalled from his loan.

He has had plenty of first team football already this season. He'll have learned more last night than he would in another 6 months of championship football imo. The odd PL start, the odd cameo and maybe a couple of EL appearances will do him the world of good.

Really interesting to see where we go with the full back positions. Are we going to stick with this formation long term? Both Markovic and Ibe look very good options in the RWB position imo. Both lightyears ahead of Johnson, Manquillo and Flanagan going forward and their defensive game has been sufficient, certainly to date.

You have to wonder where this talk of Johnson getting a new deal is coming from. He can't get in the team ahead of two 19/20 year old wingers playing out of position.

Danny Ings scores! *cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Who??

Danny Ings scores! *cough*

Yeah, hes done that a few times.

Maybe we could save a few million and cut straight to the "hes not good enough, we'll sell him on in the summer, back to a bottom half PL team which is his level" phase

Was a good goal in fairness, but made by the cross for the most part. Any decent striker should be putting that away. West Brom don't look interested at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Would have loved if that Gerrard bicycle kick went in. Came close with a placed shot too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Was having a debate with my brother last night, who is a Chelsea fan.
    He was saying Sturridge is no where near as good for Liverpool as Costa is for Chelsea.

Costa has scored in 63% of his Chelsea games.
    Sturridge has scored in 69% of his Liverpool games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

New signing for New York, going to be a goal machine and the perfect foil for Lampard.

Martin O'Neill is looking in to his eligibility

Horan is decent alright but a bit one directional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

He was saying Sturridge is no where near as good for Liverpool as Costa is for Chelsea.

Lets hope Sturridge stays fit enough to play enough games to make the stats hold up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well to be honest he is right Costa has scored 17 goals this season and Sturridge has scored 2 thats the % that matters really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Costa is a p1ssboiler ( this is a complement) who loves to get under the other teams skin. Sturridge could have 50% better scoring ratio than him and they'd still think Costa was a better player.

Everyone loves their team having a p1ssboiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Wow , wouldn't have thought that !

Well to be honest he is right Costa has scored 17 goals this season and Sturridge has scored 2 thats the % that matters really.

By that logic, Danny Ings is better than Sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

By that logic, Danny Ings is better than Sturridge

Maybe thats why we have been linked to him so much.

No point in have a world class player who spends most of the time in the physio room.

The question was who was better for there club and Costa has been better for Chelsea this season than Sturridge was has been for Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

He was that good! :D

Its worth pointing out that Rodgers win rate (and yes its still early days, so "regression to the mean" may not have occurred yet) is 56% which puts him 5th on the LFC manager list behind

Paisley 65%
    Dalglish (1985-1991) 61%
    McKenna 60.38%
    Benitez 56.29%

not too shabby really. That said if Liverpool are to finish in the CL spots this year that rate will need to be a few % higher.
    So you're saying that Rodgers is only marginally behind Benitez in win rate?

It doesn't tell the whole story though, Harry. Benitez was playing a much higher class of opponent in his win% though Rodgers is playing a more attractive type of football, for the most part.

Yeah, hes done that a few times.

Maybe we could save a few million and cut straight to the "hes not good enough, we'll sell him on in the summer, back to a bottom half PL team which is his level" phase

Was a good goal in fairness, but made by the cross for the most part. Any decent striker should be putting that away. West Brom don't look interested at the back.
    Talks about a record transfer compensation of more than £6.5m, if we were to sign him in the summer.

The record is held by one Daniel Sturridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Danny Ings with a goal and an assist today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Well Mario and borini will more than likely leaving in the summer and maybe Ricky with origi finally arriving. So if we sign ings will we sign a world class striker as well ? I don't think so unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

It doesn't tell the whole story though, Harry. Benitez was playing a much higher class of opponent in his win% though Rodgers is playing a more attractive type of football, for the most part.

The Derby was Rodgers 100th league game in charge and he has 2 points less than what Benitez managed in his first 100 games.

I was very surprised when reading that stat considering the start Rodgers had to his first season and of course this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Playing a higher class of opposition? Not too sure about that

• Advertisement

Charlie19 wrote: »
    The Derby was Rodgers 100th league game in charge and he has 2 points less than what Benitez managed in his first 100 games.

I was very surprised when reading that stat considering the start Rodgers had to his first season and of course this one.

Hes currently a CL and an FA cup behind. At the end of the day that's all that matters.

That is unless we're happy to slip in to the "we'll we finished in the top four and had a good run in the cups" mould. At least we'll be making money I suppose....

In short, winning things (or not) is the measure of a managers success.

Hes currently a CL and an FA cup behind. At the end of the day that's all that matters.

That is unless we're happy to slip in to the "we'll we finished in the top four and had a good run in the cups" mould. At least we'll be making money I suppose....

I'm well aware of what trophies Benitez won but the stat I mentioned was only referring to the first 100 league games.

Not sure how you worked that out! The League is what the league is pretty much every year! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Nobody will argue that Rafa is a far better CL manager than Rodgers currently is but the league and domestic cups were surely easier back then. Chelsea not the true juggernaught yet and City were the old city. Of for the days of the big 3...

Games won percentages are great and all.

You could finish 2nd or 3rd 5 years in a row and possibly have the greatest win percentage of any Liverpool manager. It wouldn't be worth a fcuk.

Trophies are all that matters.

• Advertisement

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Nobody will argue that Rafa is a far better CL manager than Rodgers currently is but the league and domestic cups were surely easier back then. Chelsea not the true juggernaught yet and City were the old city. Of for the days of the big 3...

In the time Benitez was in charge and just after, England had Utd in 3 cl finals, Arsenal in one and Chelsea in 2. I don't think there was a shortage of quality to beat.

ricero wrote: »
    Well Mario and borini will more than likely leaving in the summer and maybe Ricky with origi finally arriving. So if we sign ings will we sign a world class striker as well ? I don't think so unfortunately

I would see Ings as a replacement for Borini, nothing more - nothing less.
    If Origi replaces Lambert we would still need a top striker to step in when Studge gets injured again. I also think we are not going to get one though.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Charlie19 wrote: »

We only got 58 points in his first season I think (the CL win season), and then 82 in his second season so a few behind in each, but did better in his 3rd than we are doing now.

garra wrote: »
    I would see Ings as a replacement for Borini, nothing more - nothing less. .
    The problem is players are often very different animals when playing every week than being bit parters. Not many are in the Solskjear role where you can have a very good idea you'll get a goal if you bring him on when you need one. Even less are Fowler where you can play him every week and he'll score or brign him in and out and he will too.

The last thing we need is an expensive and high profile 3 or 4 goal a season man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

As a league manager benitez bar his last season wasn't great. Considering there was liitle competition for the 4th spot its fair to say Rodgers been 2 points behind is the better league manager. The master of the cups no doubt....so far.

5starpool wrote: »
    We only got 58 points in his first season I think (the CL win season), and then 82 in his second season so a few behind in each, but did better in his 3rd than we are doing now.

I just would of thought that Benitez had a far better record, forgetting he finished 5th in his first season.

My post certainly wasn't a dig at Benitez, it was more to do with how surprised I was with Rodgers.

rob316 wrote: »
    As a league manager benitez bar his last season wasn't great. Considering there was liitle competition for the 4th spot its fair to say Rodgers been 2 points behind is the better league manager. The master of the cups no doubt....so far.

The last thing that's needed is another Benitez V Rogers debate but 08/09 finishing a close 2nd and 23 points ahead of 5th wasn't a bad finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

In the time Benitez was in charge and just after, England had Utd in 3 cl finals, Arsenal in one and Chelsea in 2. I don't think there was a shortage of quality to beat.

The top teams were no doubt as good if not better but the 4-10 range? Not close imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Benitez, Rodgers, Dalglish.

They all have lovely bottoms!

More worried about our increasingly unlikely endeavour to finish fourth this year. Any news on Lucas' injury?

I think Rogers biggest failure is his complete and utter lack of and willingness to find a replacement for Victor Moses' 20 goals a season and it will ultimately be his downlfall.

• Advertisement

But you only had to get ahead of a poor enough Everton side to finish 4th each season.

Just a word for the ACN final tonight at 7 pm with Kolo Toure playing.

But you only had to get ahead of a poor enough Everton side to finish 4th each season.

The chosen one at United had more points finishing in 7th, than when he had everton finishing in fifth in 2005.

Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just a word for the ACN final tonight at 7 pm with Kolo Toure playing.

What channel's it on? Might give it a look.

ITV4 (and British Eurosport)

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Playing a higher class of opposition? Not too sure about that
    Not sure how you worked that out! The League is what the league is pretty much every year! :p
    Apologies, misread the post as 100 games rather than 100 league games:P

The problem is players are often very different animals when playing every week than being bit parters. Not many are in the Solskjear role where you can have a very good idea you'll get a goal if you bring him on when you need one. Even less are Fowler where you can play him every week and he'll score or brign him in and out and he will too.

The last thing we need is an expensive and high profile 3 or 4 goal a season man.

I absolutely agree that not every player can come in and contribute without playing a regular weekly match. Borini's game relies on athleticism and peak fitness and only contributes goals after a good run in the team - Ings is a different beast - quality finisher and gets in the right positions / does not freak out in front of goal.. I just think his game is better suited to the "Solskjear role" than Borini - whether he would be happy with that is another question.

So then....do we want a Utd win or a Utd win or a draw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

United will win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I'll take a utd loss and worry about west ham later thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement