Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

the kelt wrote: »
    The problem with starting can there is we are breaking up what has been a very settled back 3.

Maybe, just maybe it's time for Lovren to step up to the mark but if he plays anyway close to how he has been playing to date we are screwed.
    It also takes away cans ability to play the ball out from the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Connavar wrote: »

Only a little - in possession, the 3 CBs spread out and he'll be taking the ball from a 2 yard pass from Skrtel, and then he can push it on. He'll still see a lot of the ball, and Hendo will share that load...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Not having a proper back up for Lucas is going to be glaringly obvious I fear if he is out for a month. While I agree that moving can into midfield is probably the best option, it will be a shame to break up that back three. Can gives us a great option as an 'out' ball atm especially when skrtel is pressed and his ability to charge past people can yield great returns when people press us up high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

If lucas is out for a month, how do people think were gonna line up? There seems to be a unanimous consensus that allen shouldnt start, and i agree, but im about 80% sure he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

the kelt wrote: »
    The problem with starting can there is we are breaking up what has been a very settled back 3.

Maybe, just maybe it's time for Lovren to step up to the mark but if he plays anyway close to how he has been playing to date we are screwed.

I'd go with Lovren as well make or break as you say.
    Connavar wrote: »

Having our midfield over run and bullied with Allen or Gerrard there isn't going to do the back 3 any good trying to play the ball out from the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

MR NINE wrote: »
    If lucas is out for a month, how do people think were gonna line up? There seems to be a unanimous consensus that allen shouldnt start, and i agree, but im about 80% sure he will.

Allen will play instead of Lucas you know he will. We need a strong presence in front of the back 3 though Tuesday night. Tottenham play high and press hard, little Allen will be over run.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Can into DM would be great right about now. I think the opposition is starting to see his inability to defend at the back post.....inability is maybe the wrong word. But he has a weakness when he is defending the back post. A perfect example of this is Eider G's free header in the Bolton game where Can was stranded. It happens alot with him.
    Time for Lovern to scheisse or get off the crapper now. But I get a feeling Glenjo will slot in instead of Can.
    Allen is not good enough. He was good for the initial systems Rodgers played when he first took over, but not good enough for how we play now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Can into DM would be great right about now. I think the opposition is starting to see his inability to defend at the back post.....inability is maybe the wrong word. But he has a weakness when he is defending the back post. A perfect example of this is Eider G's free header in the Bolton game where Can was stranded. It happens alot with him.
    Time for Lovern to scheisse or get off the crapper now. But I get a feeling Glenjo will slot in instead of Can.
    Allen is not good enough. He was good for the initial systems Rodgers played when he first took over, but not good enough for how we play now.

Its definitely been an issue for him, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Dickerty wrote: »
    Only a little - in possession, the 3 CBs spread out and he'll be taking the ball from a 2 yard pass from Skrtel, and then he can push it on. He'll still see a lot of the ball, and Hendo will share that load...

The problem is that Lovren will see a lot of the ball at the back and he can't do what can does

He's going to have weaknesses like that considering he isn't a CB he's a midfielder. What he offers is a calm presence on the ball, who under pressure has no problem clearing the danger. He's just a class act, a real baller, reminds me of Alonso.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think he's a young player who has shown some promise but I think the level of expectation building around him is a little ridiculous. By all means move him into DM but in doing that expect a drop off in a big game as compared to Lucas.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Can is also vulnerable to pacy wingers as he isn't particularly fast. His positional sense is fairly good, but he struggled for pace a few times in the last few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I'd go with Lovren as well make or break as you say.

Having our midfield over run and bullied with Allen or Gerrard there isn't going to do the back 3 any good trying to play the ball out from the back.

Which spurs players are going to bully our midfield?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

5starpool wrote: »
    Can is also vulnerable to pacy wingers as he isn't particularly fast. His positional sense is fairly good, but he struggled for pace a few times in the last few games.

I thought he looked quite fast, the real problem is when he is caught out of position, he has a bit more ground to cover. A more natural defender wouldn't be so far away from where he should be.
    But I have to admit, I do love his forays forward to the oppositions box.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Dembele.

I actually think Can would benefit more from having someone like Lucas sitting beside him, if he was to move into midfield. Would allow him to spread the ball around, and also push forward when space opens up. But it is what it is.

Himself and Henderson will have to be pretty damn disciplined if we are to go forward with them there the next two games.

I imagine Allen will start, though. He actually played well, imo, the other night.

Dembele.

He's not great tbh

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    .... By all means move him into DM but in doing that expect a drop off in a big game as compared to Lucas.

Over the course of 4/5 games I think he'll be an improvement on Lucas. Time may tell.

rob316 wrote: »
    He's not great tbh

He has been patchy this year, but has found a decent bit of form lately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Sack em all.

Augeo wrote: »
    Over the course of 4/5 games I think he'll be an improvement on Lucas. Time may tell.

Think he will offer something different over lucas. The way he stepped into midfield in the Bolton game albeit against 10 men was brilliant. He took the game by the scruff of the neck and dominated.

His spell as a CB would also have helped his positioning and defensive responsibilities if he is to play DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nerdlingr wrote: »

With Allen as our DM every single member of the Spurs midfield.

The Southampton midfield in the league after that would bully the hell out of our midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

If Can moves into midfield and Lovren into the back 3, i feel it's going to be a disaster.

How do the back 3 set up? 2 LCBs and one CB.
    Sakho or Lovren at LCB, it has to be Sakho for me.
    Lovren looks uncomfortable at RCB the times he has played there and probably worse than Skrtel.
    If Skrtel goes to RCB, will Lovren be able to play the CB position as well as Skrtel has recently?

So Lovren(uncomfortable) at RCB, Skrtel at CB/sweeper and Sakho at LCB
    with a new defensive pairing of Can(new to position) and Henderson in front of them.

Lovren is the great unknown there, could be brilliant, could be awful. But the pairing of Can and Henderson could cause problems with runs into the box, hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

If Gerrard is put into the DM position against Spurs & Southampton then that's any slim hope of 4th gone IMO. Its clear as day it doesn't work and it would put Rodgers in a negative light.

Even though Lovren has been poor he should come in and Can should move into Lucas' position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'd imagine it'll be Allen coming in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Dembele.

Dembele ?!! Get stuck into him and he'll go missing. Not one to bully the opposition at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

rob316 wrote: »
    He's not great tbh
    He has been patchy this year, but has found a decent bit of form lately.

This - he was beyond poor when we played them at WHL earlier this year but he's been in decent form of late and could cause problems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Problem with moving Can into midfield is it throws up two unknowns for Rodgers in defence and midfield. Will a Canless defence be as solid (an almost definite no), how will a new midfield pairing in Can and Hendo fair against a more settled Spurs midfield(they might hit the ground running or they might not). If we were playing anyone other then an in form spurs I'm sure Rodgers would take this opportunity to throw Lovren back in there at CB or RCB and move Can forward but as it is Spurs I can see him favouring his best back 3 and hope that they can repel what a porous midfield of Gerrard and Hendo will invariably let through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Loan watch from the Offal -

Sebastian Coates stayed on the bench as Sunderland drew 1-1 with Swansea City in the Barclays Premier League on Saturday.
    In the Championship, Joao Carlos Teixeira featured for 90 minutes of Brighton & Hove Albion's 3-2 defeat against Nottingham Forest.
    At the same level, Academy forward Sheyi Ojo was introduced for the final half-hour for Wigan Athletic, who were overturned 3-1 by Bournemouth.
    The damage had already been done before Lloyd Jones took to the field for Cheltenham Town on 77 minutes. They were beaten 3-1 at home by Burton Albion in League Two.
    Later that day, Tiago Ilori played the entire game and helped Bordeaux record a clean sheet en route to a 1-0 victory at Evian TG in Ligue 1.
    Also in France, Belgium international Divock Origi played 20 minutes at the end of Lille's 2-1 win over Montpellier.
    On Sunday afternoon, Andre Wisdom was an unused substitute for West Bromwich Albion in their 2-2 comeback draw against Burnley.
    Iago Aspas clocked up 56 minutes that evening in a 2-1 reversal for Sevilla in their La Liga encounter with Getafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/live-liverpool-fc-news-views-8599513

Rodgers: "Lucas will miss a bit of time. We are waiting on the results of his scan. But others (Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana) should be fine.

Rodgers on Sterling/Henderson contracts: "It will be resolved very soon. Both have shown their worth here."

Brendan Rodgers: "It's an incredible deal for a young player. I've spoken to Raheem a number of times, he's very, very happy. He's been granted an opportunity to play here, and they get rewarded - but we're not a club to give way, way above what a player is worth at the certain time of their career.

"I'm not talking about Raheem, but in general. We want to reward our best talents, a big part of the future."

Rodgers on Spurs: "If we don't win the game, it puts pressure on the other games. We go into it in good form. We're working at a high level.

Brendan Rodgers: "I think we've performed better than the 3-0 win over Spurs but not got the results. The games against Chelsea, we were outstanding.

"There's no doubt that performances have been at a real good level at White Hart Lane, and when we've played at Anfield, as well.

"The team [Spurs] is playing very well, the big difference then and now is the introduction of two homegrown players – Mason and Kane."

Brendan Rodgers: "We just need to find that clinical edge up top – that's the improvement we need to make."

Rodgers on Ibe: "If he was a foreign player, everyone would be raving about him. He's an incredible talent for one so young. To play with that control at Goodison... he has great technique, he's so smooth. Hopefully that game will fast-track his development."

Rodgers: "Ibe can go into any arena in the world and play well. Hopefully that game at Goodison will fast-track his development."

Rodgers on Sturridge: "He's obviously been training for a bit of time, there will be a time when he can start – whether that's tomorrow or the weekend, we'll have to see."

Rodgers on Spurs: "These are the games we look to win. If we don't win, it blows everything away from where we want to finish. A win would keep our run and momentum going."

Rodgers on Sterling: "If they get too much, too young, it can really sabotage their development. That's why we communicate a lot with players and advisers.

"In Raheem's case he's been outstanding but we must not forget he was a 17 year old boy given an opportunity – in the two and a half years, he's been outstanding, but he still has a long way to go.

"This is the place for him to develop, and he knows that as well."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Net spend as a concept seems to have left this thread with Rafas exit from the club.

Well yeah, still, we spent a fortune last Summer. I do think those signings will turn out better than the initial signings by FSG, barring Suarez, the obvious exception.
    D'Agger wrote: »
    I love how none of the players are blamed for a failure to score - the way we were setup we dominated so tbqh I'd be looking at the team rather than the manager

But that comes down to having Balotelli, Lambert and Borini as his options. After what will be 3 full seasons in charge this Summer, it will probably cost us keeping CL football.
    In fairness to Rodgers, he inherited a team with a lot of ageing, highly paid , a bit above average players.

He has gotten rid of most of the experienced players and replaced them with young, hungry but inexperienced players and has seen the team perform no worse than it had over the previous 4 years.

For all the complaints about the purchases last summer, they needed time to settle and not that they have, we are starting to get a return on the money spent. But a long way to go yet, though.

I expect another similar year next year, tbh, as Gerrard, Lucas and Johnson look like they will be moving(moved?) on and the most experienced players will be Henderson and Skrtel.

That's true, he had to undo the mistakes of the initial FSG period.

Again, I don't have any major problem with his coaching and game management, he has shown he can adapt.

We are now hard to score against, organised and creative, all we need is a finishing touch, in short probably actually better than LVG's United at the current time.

But..............transfers. Rodgers is very good with the players he's given/ends up with, it comes back to signings, and however we ended up with those 3 as back up to Sturridge isn't good enough.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

https://twitter.com/PortuBall/status/564821798160982018

I think he will probably be too old for the transfer committee but we do need to sign some strikers in the summer.

I believe Jackson has stated recently that he wants to play in Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I believe Jackson has stated recently that he wants to play in Italy.
    I think Spurs will get him and while I'd pray it'd turn out like Soldado Part deux, I think he'd be really good in the EPL

D'Agger wrote: »
    I think Spurs will get him and while I'd pray it'd turn out like Soldado Part deux, I think he'd be really good in the EPL
    Spurs are getting Damiao :pac:

I'd say he would be great in the EPL, I would more see him at Utd or CFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Make or break time for this team.

Spurs home and Southampton away.

If we really want to put our stamp on a top 4 challenge 6 points is needed.

We are always 4 or 5 behind. That could change with 2 wins.

The 17th 'make or break' run of games this season...if you are keeping count!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

after the start we had top 4 is unlikely,we would prob need to win every game to be in with a chance .. europa cup is our best way of getting into next years champs league ..it should be our priority if we dont win against spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

When Jackson Martinez leaves Porto, lets wait until they've identified their next target, then swoop in and offer better wages! (if they can get a work permit that is).

They consistently pluck amazing strikers out of thin air.

after the start we had top 4 is unlikely,we would prob need to win every game to be in with a chance .. .............

14 games left, 42 points to play for, 81 points won't be needed for Top 4.

As I said earlier (I won't quote myself on this occassion :pac: ), extrapulate the post 3 PL defeat games in a row form (the last 12 games) out to season end would leave us on 69 points.

Throw in some Sturridge factor and just north of 70 points is not an unrealistic aim/target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

14 games left, 42 points to play for, 81 points won't be needed for Top 4.

As I said earlier (I won't quote myself on this occassion :pac: ), extrapulate the post 3 PL defeat games in a row form (the last 12 games) out to season end would leave us on 69 points.

Throw in some Sturridge factor and just north of 70 points is not an unrealistic aim/target.

Even if it's 69/70 points, only leaves us 12 to drop at most.

If you go back to the 2 ppg thing we had going last season, we need to do a bit better than that.

Spurs, City and United at home. Southampton, Chelsea and Arsenal, Away.

Its possible I suppose, need about 11/12 points out of those 18 to be realistic, even then we're just catching up with the teams ahead of us.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    When Jackson Martinez leaves Porto, lets wait until they've identified their next target, then swoop in and offer better wages! (if they can get a work permit that is).

They consistently pluck amazing strikers out of thin air.

We'll be their Spurs :pac:

K-9 wrote: »
    Even if it's 69/70 points, only leaves us 12 to drop at most............

9W 3D & 2L from the remaining 14 games leaves us on 69 points.

A few games ago (4) I posted that 11W 5D & 2L would leave us on 67 points, we've seen 3W & 1D since.

The next 3 games tells a lot, anyless than 5 points from those 9 and it's over for top 4, 5 points just about keeps us in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Are you actually being serious here? Not unrealistic?

Its almost madness the way you and some others are going on with points prediction.

Do you honestly expect us to get 30+ points in 14 games when we are on 39 after 24 games?

Back in the real world we will be doing incredibly well to get in and around the mid 60's. I think our final tally will be around the 60 mark looking at our fixtures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Not only do we have to better that 2ppg from last season but we also have to do it whilst playing in the EL, something that wasn't there last year. Tough, tough ask! A bridge too far imo but I believe in miracles, where ya from, you sexy thing?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Win against Spurs.
    Win against Southampton
    Loss against Man City.

I'd take them three league results for the rest of February tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

magma69 wrote: »
    Win against Spurs.
    Win against Southampton
    Loss against Man City.

What stood out to me about that is that you see our loss coming against City. I'm not disagreeing with that at all, but it shows how hard the task when City have the worst form out of them 3 teams. You'd expect a win from a home fixture, but Tottenham are in red hot form, it's far from a given. Southampton are also in reasonable form and that fixture is away. I'd see all 3 fixtures just as hard as the other to be honest. I'd jump at them 6 pts but can't call where I see them coming from, it's a lottery these 3 fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,933 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

magma69 wrote: »
    Win against Spurs.
    Win against Southampton
    Loss against Man City.

5 pts there I reckon, maybe even three draws
    spurs funnily enough the one id be most worried about so just hoping spurs dont show up just like at white hart lane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

DVDM93 wrote: »
    What stood out to me about that is that you see our loss coming against City. I'm not disagreeing with that at all, but it shows how hard the task when City have the worst form out of them 3 teams. You'd expect a win from a home fixture, but Tottenham are in red hot form, it's far from a given. Southampton are also in reasonable form and that fixture is away. I'd see all 3 fixtures just as hard as the other to be honest. I'd jump at them 6 pts but can't call where I see them coming from, it's a lottery these 3 fixtures.

It wasn't really a prediction mate, more a somewhat realistic if optimistic scenario which I'd take in a heartbeat. Spurs and Southampton are direct rivals so dropping points to them hurts our chances more than dropping them to City if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Simple fact is we're not scoring enough goals at the moment to get anything like 70 pts. Despite Sturridge returning from injury I predict a lot of draws in league games for the remainder of the season. We should go all out for the Europa League route back to the CL.

• Advertisement

Nothing to fear from Spurs.

They are looking good but there's not too much between the teams.

Could be a cracker actually

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement