Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Quit the fecking around and pay the man imo.

I think 100K a week IS paying the man.
    As we have done with lots of players, he knows he'll get an improved deal if he keeps progressing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

Can't help but wonder was bringing Ibe back on loan and praising him to high heavens after the derby a not to subtle hint to Sterling and his agent that he is replaceable.

Ibe could take 2 years to get to Sterlings level if we're lucky. Replacing him like for like would cost the club a lot more in both transfer fee and wages and at that the chances of us actually closing a deal for someone that good would be pretty low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

delw wrote: »
    Just listening to talksport & they saying his agent looking for £130,000 a week,i know all media talk but if true is he worth that much at the moment?

Of course he is not worth that much at the moment and the easiest way to know for sure is that the agent is looking for 130k a week. If he was worth 130k a week you can be sure the agent would be looking for 150k or more. It is an agent's job to get the most money out of clubs for their clients and they are paid based on that wage. No agent in the world enters into a contract negotiation looking for exactly what is fair!!! :rolleyes:

Thud wrote: »
    Ibe could take 2 years to get to Sterlings level if we're lucky. Replacing him like for like would cost the club a lot more in both transfer fee and wages and at that the chances of us actually closing a deal for someone that good would be pretty low.

We also need to consider where Reus will play next season, we don't want him getting in the way of Ibe's progress...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Dickerty wrote: »
    We also need to consider where Reus will play next season, we don't want him getting in the way of Ibe's progress...

Its alright, Reus will be in Bayern. Plenty of room for Ibe ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Don't be silly. Jordon Ibe (the spelling of his first name annoys me) doesn't play at left back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Quit the fecking around and pay the man imo.

**** that.

Pay him what? 150k, 170k, 200k? No, that's bollocks. 100k-120k is well more than he or anyone playing at his level deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

100k a week is him doing exceptionally well for himself. I think the club are right. Sends out an important message to other players aswell. If he keeps up his form he will have no problems getting an extra 30k a wk in another three years anyway.

5starpool wrote: »
    Don't be silly. Jordon Ibe (the spelling of his first name annoys me) doesn't play at left back.

I thought Reus might also complete at RB, where Ibe plays...
    Besides, we have Marko at LB.
    And neither of those statements is a joke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Either give him the money or sell him in the summer, that's what it boils down to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

brevity wrote:
    Either give him the money or sell him in the summer, that's what it boils down to.

was just gonna say if he does not sign he will b sold this summer...club can't just let him leave for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    100k a week is him doing exceptionally well for himself. I think the club are right. Sends out an important message to other players aswell. If he keeps up his form he will have no problems getting an extra 30k a wk in another three years anyway.

He is a professional footballer and maximising his income is a high priority. If it wasn't why does he have an agent to negotiate for him? Why should he take less than other clubs are willing to pay him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think 100K a week IS paying the man.
    As we have done with lots of players, he knows he'll get an improved deal if he keeps progressing...
    mayordenis wrote: »
    **** that.

Pay him what? 150k, 170k, 200k? No, that's bollocks. 100k-120k is well more than he or anyone playing at his level deserves.
    Pepp1989 wrote: »

*shrugs*

All the moral outrage in the world doesn't matter a jot. The player knows what is possible in the wider world as a hot property, so...
    brevity wrote: »

Is the cold hard reality.
    BenEadir wrote: »
    He is a professional footballer and maximising his income is a high priority. If it wasn't why does he have an agent to negotiate for him? Why should he take less than other clubs are willing to pay him?

Exactly. Sterling is doing the right thing for himself and his family. It's business, got to get that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

brevity wrote: »

Selling him isn't within the gift of the club, see Borini for the most recent example. He'2 20. Unless the club offer him as good a contract as he can get elsewhere he's absolutely within his rights to let his contract run down and walk into any top PL or European team aged 21/22.

LFC have to match what others are prepared to pay him or lose him for nothing/Mickey Mouse tribunal money next year. In fact, given we poached him from QPR aged 15/16 I'm not so sure we'd get much from a tribunal.

He's holding all the cards, not LFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Augeo wrote: »
    You can keep your "are you for real..... " rubbish to yourself too or at a minimum refrain from directing them at me.

Naw, if i think your talking unrealistic I'm going to ask you about it, you can always block me if you want.....or you can continue to get your panties in a twist if your not prepared to stand over your naive posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Swap him for Bale + Benzema in the summer. :p

Hoping for Top4 is now naive? Hoping that an 11/2 shot (PaddyPower odds) will come in is navie?

Are you for real? Are you serious?
    My panties aren't in a twist at all, I expect to be spoken to on here like in real life, you seem to be one of these lads who trys to be the big man behind the keyboard but would sh1t yourself if someone bumped into you in Tesco carpark. When was the last time you asked some one were they for real in person?

You can ask someone about something without the "are you for rea.........."l rubbish, it's called basic manners.

Probably lost on you to be fair.

Hoping for Top4 is now naive? Hoping that an 11/2 shot (PaddyPower odds) will come in is navie?

You said we'll get 70+ points, if that isn't naive I honestly dont know what is.
    If you want to put a friendly wager on your minimum 67 points I'd gladly take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Have a feeling we'll be fighting Spurs for 5th rather than Arsenal for 4th....

My panties aren't in a twist at all, I expect to be spoken to on here like in real life, you seem to be one of these lads who trys to be the big man behind the keyboard but would sh1t yourself if someone bumped into you in Tesco carpark.

In real life if you said we'd get a minimum of 67 points I'd say are you for real, yes. If your offended by that then I'm very sorry. Also for trying to be a big man I really dont know where that has come from as my posting history will show I'm not that kind of poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

So we want to be amongst the big boys but dont want to pay the rates? They days of doing things the "right way" are over. This is big business and the player is worth every penny, he's one of the hottest prospects in world football at this stage. A dead cert. Give him the money and keep him happy. I've said it before, we're not going to get back amongst the big boys by accident. Money talks.

NukaCola wrote: »
    You said we'll get 70+ points, if that isn't naive I honestly dont know what is.
    If you want to put a friendly wager on your minimum 67 points I'd gladly take it.

It seems the brunt of your problem is that you have misread/misunderstood..........
    Throw in some Sturridge factor and just north of 70 points is not an unrealistic aim/target.

The bolded pieces are informative

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

My panties aren't in a twist at all, I expect to be spoken to on here like in real life, you seem to be one of these lads who trys to be the big man behind the keyboard but would sh1t yourself if someone bumped into you in Tesco carpark. When was the last time you asked some one were they for real in person?

You can ask someone about something without the "are you for rea.........."l rubbish, it's called basic manners.

You keep going on about betting odds, but seem to not understand that Liverpool fans fcuk up odds due to the huge amount of them who are optimistic and thus skewing the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

BenEadir wrote: »

You can't cave to every demand made by a footballer. You have to draw a line or you'll be walked all over in negotiations. The minute a player becomes important to the club we will be held to ransom time and time again. I recognise that there is a balance to be struck but 100k imo is that balance. Sterling is doing well and the club keeps a very good player. If he gets what he wants then what do the club do when he wants 200k the next time? What happens if Can becomes boss and wants 150k? The club needs to maintain a strong position.

It seems the brunt of your problem is that you have misread/misunderstood..........

The bolded pieces are informative

67 minimum is what you said, 70+ is realistic is also what you said.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Have a feeling we'll be fighting Spurs for 5th rather than Arsenal for 4th....

I think Spurs and Arsenal will get 3rd and 4th. The draws will fcuk utd up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What's Sterling asking for?

monkey9 wrote: »
    What's Sterling asking for?

A slap on the back of the head if the figures are to be believed :pac:

67 minimum is what you said, 70+ is realistic is also what you said.

Quote where I said that :)
    A post or two ago you alleged "You said we'll get 70+ points", which I didn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What you said still seemed remarkably unrealistic in fairness.

• Advertisement

You keep going on about betting odds, but seem to not understand that Liverpool fans fcuk up odds due to the huge amount of them who are optimistic and thus skewing the market.

If you look at the odds of Liverpool odds over the course of the season you'll see they are not skewed that much, if they were there would be decent money to be made on the likes of Betfair (laying).

noodler wrote: »
    What you said still seemed remarkably unrealistic in fairness.

I said north of 70 is not an unrealistic aim/target with some Sturridge factor thrown in.

Some Liverpool fans seem to love living in a cess pit of negativity :) Some don't

Odds on Liverpool are always forced down by the fanbase punting on them. 11/2 is a bad price for Liverpool to finish top four imo. Probably more like 7/1 in reality at this stage.

Ya, apologies. But both are unrealistic which is my whole point.

I'm all for being positive and hoping for top 4 but dont be surprised to be called on it. It is naive to expect us to get to 67 based on who we have coming up. If your upset at me asking you are you serious with those figures or calling you naive then I'm sorry but thats how I see it. I'm not lacking manners for asking the questions.

Odds on Liverpool are always forced down by the fanbase punting on them. 11/2 is a bad price for Liverpool to finish top four imo. Probably more like 7/1 in reality at this stage.

Well in reality 11/2 shots with bookies are mostly 6/1 shots due to bookies margins, considering the West Ham price the 11/2 is no doubt incredibly bad value.

Also, I think your recent bullish predictions and 'glass three quarters full' posting is unrealistic and naïve. I don't shop in Tesco but if you want to bump into me in a Lidl carpark go right ahead I guess...:confused:

Ya, apologies. But both are unrealistic which is my whole point.

I'm all for being positive and hoping for top 4 but dont be surprised to be called on it. It is naive to expect us to bet to 67 based on who we have coming up. If your upset at me asking you are you serious with those figures or calling you naive then I'm sorry but thats how I see it. I'm not lacking manners for asking the questions.

I'm not upset at anything, a post starting with "are you for real......" is nothing short of bad manners and rudeness.
    You've shown a penchant to misquote which is far more annoying.

Also, I think your recent bullish predictions and 'glass three quarters full' posting is unrealistic and naïve. I don't shop in Tesco but if you want to bump into me in a Lidl carpark go right ahead I guess...:confused:

But you didn't start your post with "Are you for real........", you verbalised your thoughts politely and respectably :)

To reiterate my thought, I won't stop hoping for top4 until 12 points are dropped.

I'm not upset at anything, a post starting with "are you for real......" is nothing short of bad manners and rudeness.
    You've shown a penchant to misquote which is far more annoying.

Get over yourself. This is an internet soccer forum. Not a posh tea room in London.

I didn't misquote you. Penchant? Do you know what it means?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm for real and I wonder what odds I'd get on someone having a meltdown today and closing their account because someone doesn't agreed with them on the internet.

I didn't misquote you.

Jesus :D

It's becoming clear that you are possibly a tad slow.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94225551&postcount=7736

Claiming someone said something they didn't is misquoting them.

penchant - to have a tendancy for

Good manners etc aren't just for the posh tea room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Lloyd and Augeo bumping into each other, in a supervalu (shopping anywhere else is for shame) car park.

bumpercarpsychos_wide-fbad0d8d4d046d9502037c657182c3441a1618c2.jpg?s=6

It'd be hard to avoid you in a car park in fairness Lloyd. Walking around is a lot of effort, even if you are sleeker than a couple of years ago.

Hey guys, would anyone like some organic jam for their croissant while we discuss the plight of the reds of Liverpool?

Afterwards, let us all go for a long relaxing friendly walk on Sandymount Beach and be super friends.

So we want to be amongst the big boys but dont want to pay the rates? They days of doing things the "right way" are over. This is big business and the player is worth every penny, he's one of the hottest prospects in world football at this stage. A dead cert. Give him the money and keep him happy. I've said it before, we're not going to get back amongst the big boys by accident. Money talks.

This IS the right way. Publicly declare that we are offering a huge wedge to a 20 year old with limited top flight experience to date. Encourage him to stay and develop, and remind him that we have rewarded players with improved contracts in a number of cases (Suarez, Henderson, Sturridge, Coutinho).

Then let public opinion push him towards a fair deal.

Remember, saving 30k a week is a GOOD thing. People are acting here as if money is no object... :confused:

• Advertisement

Also, people saying we'd need to sell Sterling in the summer if we don't get him to sign a new contract are presumably missing the fact that he is contracted until summer 2017, so if he didn't want to sign a new deal with us, there is no imperative to sell until at the summer after if we were still at stalemate. Henderson on the other hand has only a year left in the summer.

I think they will both sign new deals soon anyhow, but in Sterling's case I don't think it guarantees he'll be with us long term either.

You said it was realistic to get 70+ points did you not? I said it was unrealistic. You didn't say we will get 70+ which i already apologised for. Whether you believe we'll get 67 or 70+ both are unrealistic. My point is unchanged for both figures quoted.

Says the guy who just insulted my intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Can you link the post from NukaCola starting with "are you for real?" or are you misquoting him as well?

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94225551&postcount=7736

Asking somebody to have good manners and then calling them slow!! Great stuff old boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Since when is "are you for real" so offensive that you wouldn't dare say it to someone in a supermarket car park?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement