Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Can you link the post from NukaCola starting with "are you for real?" or are you misquoting him as well?

He has misquoted me several times. He has a penchant for that kind of nonsense. What I actually said was "Is he serious"......these accusations have startled me so much my monocle fell out of my eye and into my split pea soup!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We still haven't been told who is for real and who isn't though.

It's just not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

tumblr_lygv2rL6N61r1yykwo1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

NukaCola wrote: »
    He has misquoted me several times. He has a penchant for that kind of nonsense. What I actually said was "Is he serious"......these accusations have startled me so much my monocle fell out of my eye and into my split pea soup!

He scolds you for misquoting him, then continually misquotes you.
    Gotta love the irony! :p

Ps. You should not be eating soup with your monocle in. Very poor table etiquette.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Here we see Sterling responding when he was offered below the amount he's after. No problems there. No signs of any car parks though.

He scolds you for misquoting him, then continually misquotes you.
    Gotta love the irony! :p

Ps. You should not be eating soup with your monocle in. Very poor table etiquette.

Well, I am a monster haven't you heard?

..........Gotta love the irony! :p ..............

indeed
    G...............Whether you believe we'll get 67 or 70+ both are realistic. My point is unchanged for both figures quoted.

5starpool wrote: »

Its hard with all these misquotes

Nope, nothing.

Augeo wrote: »
    indeed

Do the forum and yourself a favour and don't quote me anymore. Seriously.

• Advertisement

Are you for real with all these misquotes

No need for that now.

;)

So........Spurs tonight then eh.....

Do the forum and yourself a favour and don't quote me anymore. Seriously.

Naw, if i think your talking unrealistic I'm going to ask you about it, you can always block me if you want.....or you can continue to get your panties in a twist if your not prepared to stand over your naive posts ;)

Any news on Hendo's contract. Surely he'll be looking at a bumper pay deal also being our new captain and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

11 O'Clock break is over now everyone back into class please.

DSC_0676.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Hey guys, would anyone like some organic jam for their croissant while we discuss the plight of the reds of Liverpool?

Afterwards, let us all go for a long relaxing friendly walk on Sandymount Beach and be super friends.

Well that just sounds delightful :)
    Since when is "are you for real" so offensive that you wouldn't dare say it to someone in a supermarket car park?

Since 2015 Will....jésus get with the times already :pac:

Any news on Hendo's contract. Surely he'll be looking at a bumper pay deal also being our new captain and all.

I was under the impression he'd already received a new contract at some stage - he's been here since 2011 now.

So he's still on the same 60k odd a week.

For an ever present and future captain (and he's starting to look like one this season - I think he's making good use of having Gerrard around to ease himself into the role), I think he'd be well worth the 100k odd he's presumably going to get.

He still has plenty to prove on the pitch though - if he can start to show some goalscoring form, he'll be in a stronger position by the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Are any of us 'for real'? Some would say that nothing is real.

OwaynOTT wrote: »

We are all rarnes accounts. Its just him talking to himself.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    You can't cave to every demand made by a footballer. You have to draw a line or you'll be walked all over in negotiations. The minute a player becomes important to the club we will be held to ransom time and time again. I recognise that there is a balance to be struck but 100k imo is that balance. Sterling is doing well and the club keeps a very good player. If he gets what he wants then what do the club do when he wants 200k the next time? What happens if Can becomes boss and wants 150k? The club needs to maintain a strong position.

Negotiation 101 - don't overplay your hand.

If Sterling's agent is doing his job he'll have sounded out what he can get his client form other top clubs. With that confidence he can tell LFC it's £150,000 a week or Sterling walks in 18 months and gets €150,000 elsewhere.

That's not the agent "walking all over" LFC, that's the agent telling LFC to pay the market rate or explain why his client should sign a 5 year contract which would earn him £13m (5 X 52 X £50,000) less than he can get elsewhere.

Sterling doesn't have to play for Liverpool, he can play for any top club in European football, they'd all love to have him. We either pay the market rate for his services or he walks. It's not like he hasn't got form for leaving a club that were nurturing him is it? He left QPR fairly lively when LFC waved the cheque book at him so he'll do it again when Chelsea or Madrid wave the cheque book at him and LFC will be the ones left behind.

£13m is a lot of money to leave on the table and no agent worth his salt should allow his client to make such a mistake.

Not overplaying your hand however is where an agent demands a deal which you know he can't deliver on. In such a circumstance LFC make their offer and sit tight to call the agents bluff.

Knowing the difference between the two is what Ian Ayre is paid to do. I hope he gets it right and we don't end up losing Sterling because we wouldn't offer him what he can get elsewhere and we end up stuck with players (Joe Cole, Borini, Aquilani, El Hadji Diouf, Salid Diao, Milan Jovanovic etc etc) who we are over paying and won't move on because they know they'll never get close to what LFC are paying them elsewhere.

As things stand at the minute, Flanagan and Johnson are out of contract this summer, Henderson next summer, and Sterling the one after. I haven't read of any others that have been speculated on as potential extensions/new deals, but who knows what's going on in the background. I had nothing about negotiations with Coutinho either until he signed, so while I don't mind speculation it's important to realise that none of us really have any real clue as to what's going on, aside from Rodgers himself saying too much about it.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Odds on Liverpool are always forced down by the fanbase punting on them.
    Does that not create an automatic and permanent shorting/laying opportunity? :eek: Might have to reactivate my Betfair account and lay all LFC bets. for financial purposes only obviously ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

BenEadir wrote: »
    Negotiation 101 - don't overplay your hand.

If Sterling's agent is doing his job he'll have sounded out what he can get his client form other top clubs. With that confidence he can tell LFC it's £150,000 a week or Sterling walks in 18 months and gets €150,000 elsewhere.

That's not the agent "walking all over" LFC, that's the agent telling LFC to pay the market rate or explain why his client should sign a 5 year contract which would earn him £13m (5 X 52 X £50,000) less than he can get elsewhere.

Sterling doesn't have to play for Liverpool, he can play for any top club in European football, they'd all love to have him. We either pay the market rate for his services or he walks. It's not like he hasn't got form for leaving a club that were nurturing him is it? He left QPR fairly lively when LFC waved the cheque book at him so he'll do it again when Chelsea or Madrid wave the cheque book at him and LFC will be the ones left behind.

£13m is a lot of money to leave on the table and no agent worth his salt should allow his client to make such a mistake.

Not overplaying your hand however is where an agent demands a deal which you know he can't deliver on. In such a circumstance LFC make their offer and sit tight to call the agents bluff.

Knowing the difference between the two is what Ian Ayre is paid to do. I hope he gets it right and we don't end up losing Sterling because we wouldn't offer him what he can get elsewhere and we end up stuck with players (Joe Cole, Borini, Aquilani, El Hadji Diouf, Salid Diao, Milan Jovanovic etc etc) who we are over paying and won't move on because they know they'll never get close to what LFC are paying them elsewhere.

Well any way you spin it £150k a week - in terms of world football salaries - is over the odds for a 20 year old. He still has a lot to prove despite his performances over the last 12 months. I have no doubt he will be a superstar but there is no need to be paying him Gerrard type salaries - yet.

The thing that annoys me with Sterling is, we take gambles on young talented players. When that talent is getting fulfilled we now want to skimp on wages because "the club wont be held to ransom". At the same time we overpay for average players and hand them huge wages.

Pay Raheem what he wants, reportedly around 120k. Is he worth it. Not really at the moment but in a season or two when his contract is up he will be and we'll also have a 25m+ player we got for a low fee should he decide to leave.

Keeping it real. For real

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I would hold firm on our current offer until at least the summer.
    By all accounts it is costing him 50K a week not to sign ,If we park it till the summer and give him his 120-130K then we have saved ourselves a small fortune.

The thing that annoys me with Sterling is, we take gambles on young talented players. When that talent is getting fulfilled we now want to skimp on wages because "the club wont be held to ransom". At the same time we overpay for average players and hand them huge wages.

We don't though.

What average players we've signed recently are on huge wages?

You could be funny and say Balotelli, but he's hugely talented, took a pay cut, 80k isn't crazy anyway and he'd be pretty much the only one.

Depressing how much a 20 year old footballer can earn these days!

Still hoping for the football money bubble to burst at some stage

I would hold firm on our current offer until at least the summer.
    By all accounts it is costing him 50K a week not to sign ,If we park it till the summer and give him his 120-130K then we have saved ourselves a small fortune.

Well, isn't he currently on like 30k. So if we offered 100k it costing him 70k a week not to sign, and if he wants his 120k+ it is costing him 90k+.......it is mad money all the same.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Depressing how much a 20 year old footballer can earn these days!

Still hoping for the football money bubble to burst at some stage

That bubble will get a lot bigger this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

That bubble will get a lot bigger this afternoon.

?

gafferino wrote: »
    Well any way you spin it £150k a week - in terms of world football salaries - is over the odds for a 20 year old.
    I don't disagree that's it's enormous money for a 20 year old but if there are clubs out there willing to give it to him why on earth should he settle for less from LFC? It's not like LFC are his home town club or anything. Professionals play for whoever pays them the most. If similar money is on offer from a better league or a club with more kudos or more attractive location weather/entertainment/shopping wise then intangible factors might swing it in favour of one club over another as we have experience of with our pursuit of Sanchez.

One way to square the circle is to put a lot of contingencies into the deal so the headline figure (£150,000) is attainable if certain objectives are achieved e.g. CL qualification, winning a domestic cup, winning the Europa League etc. The problem however is that LFC have a very poor record of achieving any such objectives in recent history so the player (more likely his agent) will point out that similar bonuses would be virtually guaranteed if he signed for Chelsea, City etc whereas they are much less likely to happen if he re-signs for LFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Ayre atm:

9PVNR15.jpg

Well, isn't he currently on like 30k. So if we offered 100k it costing him 70k a week not to sign, and if he wants his 120k+ it is costing him 90k+.......it is mad money all the same.

Wow I thought it was 50K he was on not 30K So every week he does not sign it will take 3.5 weeks at the higher salary to recover. If we hold firm he defintely cracks.

Gbear wrote: »
    We don't though.

Lambo + Borini + Glenjo + Lovern + a load of players out on loan whose wages we a subsidising.

Gbear wrote: »
    We don't though.

You could be funny and say Balotelli, but he's hugely talented, took a pay cut, 80k isn't crazy anyway and he'd be pretty much the only one.

Lovren also. The fee for Lallana plus 80k a week is fairly poor value but many may disagree. The fees paid for Alberto and Aspas plus a fee others.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is we over pay for players and give them very decent wages for what we get in return.

?

New TV deals with Sky/BT/whoever being announced.

BenEadir wrote: »
    Lambo + Borini + Glenjo + Lovern + a load of players out on loan whose wages we a subsidising.

Lambert and Borini aren't on huge wages, Johnson is a holdover from a previous administration and Lovren is a lot better than he's looked.

The players on loan who's wages we're subsidising are mostly on peanuts (relatively speaking).

Edit: I might give you Borini - 50k is a bit much, but still, it's pretty small fry in the grand scheme of things.

?

The new PL rights deal is expected to be announced this afternoon at some stage.

They are expecting an increse of 45/50% taking the rights to £4.5b for 3 seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Wasn't Sterling a bollocks last time around with his contract as well?

This will get done, imo. Don't see him being allowed to go anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If I'm sterling I'd say to Ayre, how much is that guy who think's he's a right back on? £110K. We'll start negotiations at that please!

I know Johnson is on that from the old regime but it really hurts your bargaining power.

Sterling will sign though, once Liverpool give their final offer he will accept it.

rob316 wrote: »
    , once Liverpool give their final offer he will accept it.

It will probably be in the last place they look !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

https://twitter.com/BenSmithBBC/status/565121039664173056

Rumours of a breakdown in contract negotiations about to go into overdrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

OwaynOTT wrote: »

tywin-lannister-house-lannister-36870623-4256-2832_zpsekkzwejq.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Sterlings agent knows he is in the position of power at the moment.
    The club have been relying on him since Suarez departure and Sturridge's injuries to rattle the onion sack.
    That is alot of pressure for a 19/20 year old to be under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

It'd be hard to avoid you in a car park in fairness Lloyd. Walking around is a lot of effort, even if you are sleeker than a couple of years ago.

I've always gotten the impression that Lloyd is a big enough fella. Each post is like a rep to him :pac:

Probably from his liking of soccer being a hard nosed, man's game. Which is no bad thing.

Reus has signed a new contract. Add a few million on to his fee when we sign him in the summer to replace Glen Johnson at RWB.

I wonder was Ibe called back to show Sterling he isn't the only wonder kid now.

tin-foil-hat-warning3.jpg

• Advertisement

Ibe looks decent enough all right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement