Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

https://twitter.com/BenSmithBBC/status/565121039664173056

Rumours of a breakdown in contract negotiations about to go into overdrive.

Its a virus.......notsigninganewcontractalitis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Depressing how much a 20 year old footballer can earn these days!

I think it's more depressing thinking about how much some footballers who are 30 and over and in decline, earn.

This fella is on his way to being one of the top performers in the most lucrative sport in the world, he's not packing shelves in tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Depressing how much a 20 year old footballer can earn these days!

Still hoping for the football money bubble to burst at some stage

What? Are you for real you old b&stard? I am on nearly that much. #embarrassingforyou

*disclaimer - The post above may not reflect my true opinion. I am neither 20 or rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

w3BZ7Hmq_normal.jpeg John W. Henry John_W_Henry · 7m 7 minutes ago
    Progress pic.twitter.com/bTp2Ygqgjb
    B9e7-6_CUAAxuWD.jpg:large

View more photos and videos
    0 replies 362 retweets 322 favorites Reply
    Retweet 362 Retweeted 362
    Favorite 322 Favorited 322
    More

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I think it's more depressing thinking about how much some footballers who are 30 and over and in decline, earn.

This fella is on his way to being one of the top performers in the most lucrative sport in the world, he's not packing shelves in tescos.

Or Lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool should let Sterling run his contract down, well before summer 2017 Ibe and Ojo will be known quantities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Or we could just pay him 130k and have him signed up to July 2020. Have our best performer at the club locked up and happy and have the club protected against an approach from a Chelsea, etc securing a huge transfer fee as worst case scenario.

Mad eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

I guess this is more of a philosophical debate but you say that almost like he deserves the money. The kid was born with a talent which makes him technically good at kicking an inflated round thing about a rectangular field. We elevate these people within society. They are far from great people. I could make an argument that many of the guys packing shelfs are far more deserving of the money. He isn't changing the world or contributing huge amounts to society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Or we could just pay him 130k and have him signed up to July 2020. Have our best performer at the club locked up and happy and have the club protected against an approach from a Chelsea, etc securing a huge transfer fee as worst case scenario.

Mad eh?

Totally crazy idea ;) and what will more than likely happen anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Facebook Rag This is Anfield claiming that Sterling is out tonight:

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/02/raheem-sterling-ruled-liverpools-game-vs-tottenham/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

One and a half good seasons is all it take for the world class stuff to start!

noodler wrote: »
    One and a half good seasons is all it take for the world class stuff to start!

It took only 5 months of PL football football for us to spend £35m on a player.. Thats the football world we live in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I wonder was Ibe called back to show Sterling he isn't the only wonder kid now.

tin-foil-hat-warning3.jpg

I'll see your tin foil hat and riddle you this : What if Sterling hasn't a knock and he is being benched in favour of Ibe to ram the point home further ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Im relaxed over sterlings contract situation tbh, he has what, 2-2.5 years left on his current deal meaning hes only half way his current deal so its not like his deal is expiring soon. The only team that could possibly come in for him in the summer are city imo, real/bayern/chelsea etc wont have any interest in him yet, with city we hold the cards in that deal should it come to be.
    Even at that im confident both parties will reach an agreement sooner rather than later.

What is Sturridge on? What is Coutinho on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

NukaCola wrote: »
    The thing that annoys me with Sterling is, we take gambles on young talented players. When that talent is getting fulfilled we now want to skimp on wages because "the club wont be held to ransom". At the same time we overpay for average players and hand them huge wages.

Pay Raheem what he wants, reportedly around 120k. Is he worth it. Not really at the moment but in a season or two when his contract is up he will be and we'll also have a 25m+ player we got for a low fee should he decide to leave.

That's true, we spend a fortune on the youth system to pay less big signing on fees.

Still though, the market price we can pay is different to the elite clubs, City, Chelsea, PSG and the rest can just outbid us very easily, if they want to.

Also, we don't know if there is genuine interest out there or the agent is just being a greedy agent, hardly unknown in their vocation and calling!

Seriously though, 100k is serious money, there's a limited amount of clubs who'd pay it. Gerrard is on 150k or so.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Am I the only one who thinks Sterling is a little over-rated?

He's good and has potential but nowhere near world class.

Would he get near the Madrid/Barca team? - Nope.

Would he get into the Chelsea/Man City team? - I don't think he'd be a regular.

You'd get Marco Reus for £150k per week and he's a few levels ahead of Sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Mad eh?

if he accepts that, i totally agree. i'm not sure about the 160k a week his agent seems to be asking for though.

i think he will eventually end up at Chelsea due to his London roots, but we need to tie him down.

this is not the time to get too frugal. we don't have that luxury.

looder wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks Sterling is a little over-rated?

He's good and has potential but nowhere near world class.

Would he get near the Madrid/Barca team? - Nope.

Would he get into the Chelsea/Man City team? - I don't think he'd be a regular.

You'd get Marco Reus for £150k per week and he's a few levels ahead of Sterling.

He's just signed a new deal apparently

_80908022_twitter.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Liverpool should let Sterling run his contract down, well before summer 2017 Ibe and Ojo will be known quantities.

I assume you are not serious. We could do without the distractions of talking about his contract all of next season...

• Advertisement

Dickerty wrote: »
    I assume you are not serious. We could do without the distractions of talking about his contract all of next season...

Nothing pisses me off more than kids who think they've already made it.

Call his bluff.

Nothing pisses me off more than kids who think they've already made it.

Call his bluff.

Superb. Big up Ibe and Ojo or whoever the academy flavour of the month is; then when someone actually proves themselves and force their way into being a cornerstone of the senior team we should 'call their bluff' and play hardball with them. :D

This place is a great aul laugh by times!!

As I said earlier, the moral outrage that 'zomg a 20 year old could earn that type of money' is hilarious. Call Joe Duffy lads, I'm sure he cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Not sure if this has been posted here yet, but Sterling will miss the Spurs game tonight through injury.
    :(

At what age would it ok for a player to get paid £100k+ week if he is deemed good enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Mad eh?
    doesn't really work that way though. If he becomes a superstar and we fail to make the top 4 at very least - he will walk.

At what age would it ok for a player to get paid £100k+ week if he is deemed good enough?

When he is longer in the first team (as a starter) than 18 months.

Sterlings agent is doing what agents do - doesn't mean he'll get all he wants. Liverpool no more than any club should just shrug and give in.

doesn't really work that way though. If he becomes a superstar and we fail to make the top 4 at very least - he will walk.

Yeah, in which case having him on a solid long term deal will only enhance the fee we receive for his departure.

I'd suggest that signing him to a five and half year deal for X and focussing on X is irrelevant because he's a huge dog to still be here for another half decade.

When he is longer in the first team (as a starter) than 18 months.

So after 19 months it is then :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think the "good enough" part is the salient point.

I don't think Sterling is worth those wages (certainly not 150k anyway).

You could argue that there aren't many players his age that're better but, equally, I don't think there are any earning more than 100k.

A player will get what he can and I suppose that's what he's worth if someone is willing to pay it, but his level of output is not that of an elite attacking player.

For all Sturridge's injury problems, he's still delivered a ****load of goals and has the quality to back up the wage packet.
    The same can't be said of Sterling yet.

• Advertisement

That would mean some type of logical answer, there isn't one!

It would be a triple pay increase, not too shabby!

He has done well, and has been over relied on this season as well as the start of Rodgers term. 150/160k is mad money though, that's getting into established star name territory, and the club has to be careful of the internal repercussions.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I guess this is more of a philosophical debate but you say that almost like he deserves the money. The kid was born with a talent which makes him technically good at kicking an inflated round thing about a rectangular field. We elevate these people within society. They are far from great people. I could make an argument that many of the guys packing shelfs are far more deserving of the money. He isn't changing the world or contributing huge amounts to society.

It's all relative my friend. How many people can pack supermarket shelves in this world? How many people can play football like Sterling? That's what you're paying for.

As Clint Eastwood says in Unforgiven, "Deserve's got nothin to do with it."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I dont see why agueo should be criticised for being wishful or naive, isnt that what being a football fan is about?

We dont support ireland so we can accurately expect them to finish third in their qualifying group every two years, we dream about qualification to major tournaments even though we know its unlikely, and then dream about going as far as possible in those tournaments even though its incredibly far fetched.

Football is an irrational sport, fans are supposed to dream big, otherwise whats the point? When cambridge played man u last month their fans probably spent all week convincing themselves they actually had a chance of winning the game, theyd go to the game desperate for a win and, sure, 95% of the time youll be disappointed, but the most beautiful moments of being a football fan are that 5% of the time where you dream about something unlikely happening and then it comes to fruition.

2005 champions league is a prime example. Logically speaking liverpool shouldnt have had a hope of getting near the final never mind winning the whole thing. As long as im a football fan ill be an irrational dreamer and the game will be all the more enjoyable for it.

This time last year we hadn't even come around to the notion that we were title challengers, some even thought we wouldn't even get CL.

4th is an outside chance but mostly in our own hands. Things like Sterling and Lucas out will effect us, we'd luck on our side last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Just pay sterling the money, simple as. 30k extra a week is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Sell coates/aspas/alberto/insert squad filler loanee and we'll free up 30k.

Its an extra 1.5m a year, absolutely nothing when you consider the kind of transfer fees weve been paying.

Sterling is well worth the money, we need to keep our best players otherwise well never compete at the very top. Were struggling to attract big players as it is, losing our best young player isnt gonna help. Hes a quality player, an important part of our team already at 20 years of age and hes constantly improving. Losing him for the sake of 1.5m a year would be a ridiculous **** up by the club.

It actually makes financial sense to pay him extra given it puts us in a position to potentially receive 30/40m in a couple years if we do sell him, rather than lose him for free in two years time.

We dont mind punting millions on young, unproven talent, i find it hard to believe wed let sterling go for the sake of 1.5m a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Sterling supposedly out of tonight's game. I'd bring in lallana instead of him.

• Advertisement

His wage demands seem to be going up every half hour in this thread also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

ricero wrote: »
    Sterling supposedly out of tonight's game. I'd bring in lallana instead of him.

Definitely out - BBC are reporting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ballotelli and Sturridge worth any kind of shot at all? Did well in the 3-0 against Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If the wages leaked by Brad Jones a few weeks back are correct then Sterling deserves an increase. North of 100 grand a week is madness though. That should be reserved for big names and proven winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Mad eh?

Agreed. For the sake of a couple million extra in wages its peanuts in the grand scheme of things. Lock him in to a new contract NOW and have the added leverage come any transfer negotiations in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Liverpool are caught in the position of Sterling not being good enough to get 130k a week but him being their second best player after Johnson so they can't let him leave

He'll probably settle for around 100k a week in the end, I don't think he'd even get that elsewhere tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

MR NINE wrote: »
    Just pay sterling the money, simple as. 30k extra a week is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Sell coates/aspas/alberto/insert squad filler loanee and we'll free up 30k.

Its an extra 1.5m a year, absolutely nothing when you consider the kind of transfer fees weve been paying.

Sterling is well worth the money, we need to keep our best players otherwise well never compete at the very top. Were struggling to attract big players as it is, losing our best young player isnt gonna help. Hes a quality player, an important part of our team already at 20 years of age and hes constantly improving. Losing him for the sake of 1.5m a year would be a ridiculous **** up by the club.

It actually makes financial sense to pay him extra given it puts us in a position to potentially receive 30/40m in a couple years if we do sell him, rather than lose him for free in two years time.

We dont mind punting millions on young, unproven talent, i find it hard to believe wed let sterling go for the sake of 1.5m a year

Finding the money isn't the issue I'm sure we can afford to pay him what he wants whether we shift the dead wood or not. The issue is should we pay him elite wages when he isn't posting elite numbers yet. Its why the club are employing the carrot and stick approach by offering him an incentivised contract so that he can go out an earn that extra 30k a week by scoring 15-20 goals a season .

Liverpool are caught in the position of Sterling not being good enough to get 130k a week but him being their second best player after Johnson so they can't let him leave

He'll probably settle for around 100k a week in the end, I don't think he'd even get that elsewhere tbh

Thanks for checking in with that highly valuable opinion on the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

x43r0 wrote: »
    Definitely out - BBC are reporting it

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Thanks for checking in with that highly valuable opinion on the situation.

Don't even bother replying to it Lloyd only looking for attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Ian Ayre at Sterling's contract talks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No Sterling or Lucas.

Christ, if Sturridge doesn't start that will be one weak looking team.

Markovich or Lallana to come back in? Maybe both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I wonder has sterling not playing tonight got anything to do with him not signing a new contract, it all seems a bit coincidental to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Sterling hasn't earned the right to demand £160k a week wages yet.

he's been playing well for a year lads.

it's all well and good saying pay the money, but the kid has obviously been offered in and around 100k a week, and that is more than enough at this stage of his career.

Really, what has he done to earn those wages?

the club can't be too frugal, but it also can't be held to ransom. no other club will pay Sterling the wages his agent is asking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Maybe give him 300k a week and play him in a position he wants no matter how bad he is?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement