Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

noodler wrote: »
    No Sterling or Lucas.

Christ, if Sturridge doesn't start that will be one weak looking team.

Markovich or Lallana to come back in? Maybe both?

You have to go with Sturridge.

Mario is pointless, unless we partner him up front.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

SlickRic wrote: »
    Sterling hasn't earned the right to demand £160k a week wages yet.

he's been playing well for a year lads.

it's all well and good saying pay the money, but the kid has obviously been offered in and around 100k a week, and that is more than enough at this stage of his career.

Really, what has he done to earn those wages?

the club can't be too frugal, but it also can't be held to ransom. no other club will pay Sterling the wages his agent is asking for.

£160k now it keeps going up and up on this thread :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Sterling hasn't earned the right to demand £160k a week wages yet.

he's been playing well for a year lads.

it's all well and good saying pay the money, but the kid has obviously been offered in and around 100k a week, and that is more than enough at this stage of his career.

Really, what has he done to earn those wages?

the club can't be too frugal, but it also can't be held to ransom. no other club will pay Sterling the wages his agent is asking for.
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Maybe give him 300k a week and play him in a position he wants no matter how bad he is?

Strawmen everywhere!!

Indeed.

I'd say the deal is pretty close and there's a lot of media gossip and agent talk going about.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Maybe give him 300k a week and play him in a position he wants no matter how bad he is?

Falcoa is on 265k........ :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

No Sterling or Lucas.

Christ, if Sturridge doesn't start that will be one weak looking team.

Markovich or Lallana to come back in? Maybe both?

Id say it will be

Sturridge
    Coutinho Markovic
    Moreno Allen Hendo Ibe

Sakho Skrtel Can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I suppose with Sterling, we have to bear in mind all the child support he is paying.

Sterling can demand a high wage. Its really simple. We pay above what we usually do or we will lose him for a much lower fee.

When you take chances on talent be prepared to offer big wages when it pays off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

NukaCola wrote: »
    Sterling can demand a high wage. Its really simple. We pay above what we usually do or we will lose him for a much lower fee.

When you take chances on talent be prepared to offer big wages when it pays off.

I was perfectly willing for the club to not play the cheap card and reward him handsomely but if he really is turning his nose up at £100k a week then I would deffo start negotiating.

• Advertisement

I was perfectly willing for the club to not play the cheap card and reward him handsomely but if he really is turning his nose up at £100k a week then I would deffo start negotiating.

Of course negotiate but he can probably demand more than what is being offered. To be honest I have no problems with a talented young player doing the best he can to get a very good contract.

He is one of our best players and deserves to be recognised as such in his pay.

The pay off down the line could be twice the amount of his 5 year contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

let me be clear, on a personal level, i don't care what we pay Sterling.

but I fully understand why the club would baulk at the numbers that we are hearing.

100k, no problem. get him signed up, and if you don't, you're a bunch of muppets.

160k, I'm sorry, but the club is right to try negotiate that down.

it'll end up being 120k, and everyone will be happy, but i wouldn't lambast the club for not going to 160k, if that is indeed true.

Mate sent me photos of the team arriving at his hotel, Sterling was there all suited up in his tracksuit. Wouldn't he be in a suit if he was injured?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

There is no way I would be paying him the 180k a week he wants

but I fully understand why the club would baulk at the numbers that we are hearing.

100k, no problem. get him signed up, and if you don't, you're a bunch of muppets.

it'll end up being 120k, and everyone will be happy, but i wouldn't lambast the club for not going to 160k, if that is indeed true.

Where is the 160k figure coming from out of interest? Its being quoted a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Where's the 160K coming from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

rob316 wrote: »
    Mate sent me photos of the team arriving at his hotel, Sterling was there all suited up in his tracksuit. Wouldn't he be in a suit if he was injured?

Post them up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Where's the 160K coming from?

180k now
    The Mig wrote: »
    There is no way I would be paying him the 180k a week he wants

By the end of today he'll be earning more than Messi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Falcoa is on 265k........ :p

Think a little less hair a little more belly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I guess this is more of a philosophical debate but you say that almost like he deserves the money. The kid was born with a talent which makes him technically good at kicking an inflated round thing about a rectangular field. We elevate these people within society. They are far from great people. I could make an argument that many of the guys packing shelfs are far more deserving of the money. He isn't changing the world or contributing huge amounts to society.

If salaries reflected the greatness of people nurses, soldiers, social workers etc would be paid the most. As long as we choose to live in a capitalist society value will be dictated by supply and demand. There is huge demand for a young talented footballer who has proven his ability at the top level (PL and International) who could be the bedrock of a top team for 10-12 years or more. That's just the way it is and it's his good fortune that it's football he's gifted at rather than e.g. water polo or squash. If he had the same level or relative talent in those sports i.e. one of the top international talents for his age he'd be doing well to be getting a £20,000 a year sports grant and would probably be holding down a full time job.

Popularity = huge TV audience = huge revenue to clubs = big budgets to secure the best talent.

x43r0 wrote: »
    Post them up

1530408_1100735103286817_4148661456648013458_n.jpg?oh=11b9cf8f39e8fed019090e1888b5ede4&oe=5591B022&__gda__=1430791240_2cf60c1db910601b059b32344628c395

• Advertisement

If Sterlings agent has sounded out other clubs and is confident he can get him £150,000 a week elsewhere what exactly do you suggest the club does? Try and convince Sterling to sign a 5 year deal for £100k a week and leave £13m behind him?

Does anyone seriously think that's what any professional footballer would do? Why on earth should any professional footballer accept less from LFC than they can get elsewhere? Unless someone has an answer to this question all the huff and puff about holding a hard line with Sterling and not allowing the club to be walked over blah blah blah is just uninformed hot air which may lead to a pyrrhic vistory for the club but long term it will confirm that we simply don't have the cash to compete with the oil/oligarch/dictator run clubs.

BenEadir wrote: »
    If salaries reflected the greatness of people nurses, soldiers, social workers etc would be paid the most. As long as we choose to live in a capitalist society value will be dictated by supply and demand. There is huge demand for a young talented footballer who has proven his ability at the top level (PL and International) who could be the bedrock of a top team for 10-12 years or more. That's just the way it is and it's his good fortune that it's football he's gifted at rather than e.g. water polo or squash. If he had the same level or relative talent in those sports i.e. one of the top international talents for his age he'd be doing well to be getting a £20,000 a year sports grant and would probably be holding down a full time job.

Popularity = huge TV audience = huge revenue to clubs = big budgets to secure the best talent.

And bad fortune that it isn't basketball where someone of his relative talent would have an agent working towards a scenario where he gets a max contract somewhere (~$20m per year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

1530408_1100735103286817_4148661456648013458_n.jpg?oh=11b9cf8f39e8fed019090e1888b5ede4&oe=5591B022&__gda__=1430791240_2cf60c1db910601b059b32344628c395

Is that not ibe??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Is that not ibe??

Look to the left!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

We're wearing the 'Seeing is Believing' shirts again tonight...
    Last time we wore them we won 4-0. Against Spurs.
    More of the same hopefully this evening.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

gafferino wrote: »
    Look to the left!

Of Sturridge.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Is that not ibe??

No its Ojo :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Cissokho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

It's David Amoo you clowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They are look the same don;t they? *shakes head!* :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

BenEadir wrote: »
    If Sterlings agent has sounded out other clubs and is confident he can get him £150,000 a week elsewhere what exactly do you suggest the club does? Try and convince Sterling to sign a 5 year deal for £100k a week and leave £13m behind him?

Does anyone seriously think that's what any professional footballer would do? Why on earth should any professional footballer accept less from LFC than they can get elsewhere? Unless someone has an answer to this question all the huff and puff about holding a hard line with Sterling and not allowing the club to be walked over blah blah blah is just uninformed hot air which may lead to a pyrrhic vistory for the club but long term it will confirm that we simply don't have the cash to compete with the oil/oligarch/dictator run clubs.

Well, other clubs can always offer more. If that was the only consideration, then nobody would sign for us.

Another club might well offer more to get him on board, but if his ambition is to play games and develop to being the best player he can, sacrificing money now in favour of carrying on his development is going to have to be part of that.

I don't think he'd be guaranteed games at any of the big clubs likely to snatch him off us.

He doesn't hold all the cards here. He's not that crucial to us at the moment because his actual productivity doesn't yet match his talent, his contract won't run down for another 18 months, and barring a massive improvement from him, he's not ready to make the step up to a better team yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Cissokho?

Its Shelvey.... behind Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Look at his leg!!! That's got to be a 3/4 week injury at least!!

:D

Dickerty wrote: »
    Look at his leg!!! That's got to be a 3/4 week injury at least!!

:D

Photoshopped, look at the reflection in the bus :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Yeh I mean ultimately for me I don't care if they put him on Suarez wages in order to get him to sign so long as its incentive based. If he goes out and scores Suarez numbers he is clearly worth it, if not he gets a flat 100k a week. Its win win, any bonuses for hitting goal targets would easily be covered by the CL money those goals would help achieve and he can negotiate up his base wage every 2 years anyways.

Cissokho?

Definitely Sakho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Photoshopped, look at the reflection in the bus :pac:

Thanks for clearing that up, I actually thought his leg had turned into a breadstick... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Garry mac must be starting tonight, surley thats him infront of sturridge

So then, Rafa and FHACTS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fachts or Shacts?

edit - snap! :pac:

Gbear wrote: »
    Well, other clubs can always offer more. If that was the only consideration, then nobody would sign for us.
    Players who are offered substantially more elsewhere don't sign for us. Can you give an example of someone taking less than is offered elsewhere to play for LFC other than a dyed in the wool red supporter like Stevie G, Carra, Flanno and maybe even Lambo pr possibly someone who has already made a fortune and fancies the idea of playing for LFC rather than earn more elsewhere?
    Another club might well offer more to get him on board, but if his ambition is to play games and develop to being the best player he can, sacrificing money now in favour of carrying on his development is going to have to be part of that. I don't think he'd be guaranteed games at any of the big clubs likely to snatch him off us.
    Not true, just look at Hazard, Kane, Barkley, Shaw etc. IF they have the talent and maturity and a club is willing to pay them £150,000 a week they'll be starting most games. If Sterling does to City or Chelsea or Madrid who have a full squad of top level players he might get rotated a bit but other than that he'll be playing. You don't spend £150,000 a week on a player to put him on the bench.
    He doesn't hold all the cards here. He's not that crucial to us at the moment because his actual productivity doesn't yet match his talent, his contract won't run down for another 18 months, and barring a massive improvement from him, he's not ready to make the step up to a better team yet.
    Are you so comfortable in your assessment of his performance (or lack of it) and that no top clubs would come in for him that you'd be prepared to let his contract run down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Fully behind the club in their dealings with Sterling now it's clear him and his agent are being devious ****houses. No way should someone with his end product be making 100k, let alone 150k. Sell him for £40m in the Summer if he keeps this up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

K-9 wrote: »
    So then, Rafa and FHACTS.

Van gaal taking a leaf out of rafas book today with his fhacts sheet sent to big sam.

bur wrote: »
    Fully behind the club in their dealings with Sterling now it's clear him and his agent are being devious ****houses. No way should someone with his end product be making 100k, let alone 150k. Sell him for £40m in the Summer if he keeps this up.

Yeah baby!! We don't want players who are the finished article, **** them all. We want a nice young hungry talented cheap team with potential. That way we never have to face up to what we are because we can always talk bollocks about what we might be. I'm pumped!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

It boggles my mind continually when I hear of these footballers so consumed by greed that a weekly wage of £100,000 is not enough for them. Are they that far removed from real life that they can't understand it would take an average person 2-3 years to make that kind of money and they dont actually need that much...

• Advertisement

Cant understand why anyone would take offence at a player trying to get the best deal possible.

Sterling is one of our top performers at the moment. His stock is high, there is no guarantee he will get better but the signs are good, he needs to get the best deal he can now, I think its harsh for others to judge him on that when the vast majority of posters have and never will be in a similar situation.

We dont even have proper details. People are saying he turned up his nose at 100k and wants 160k. All rumours.

All we have is he's been offered a exceptional deal according to BR. Thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Can't really blame him if he decides to move on for more money and/or play for a club with a better chance of success. That was the reason he went to Liverpool from QPR in the first place. It would at least be consistent

It boggles my mind continually when I hear of these footballers so consumed by greed that a weekly wage of £100,000 is not enough for them. Are they that far removed from real life that they can't understand it would take an average person 2-3 years to make that kind of money and they dont actually need that much...

If i was in a company that paid 100k a week and i was a key member I'd expect to be paid as such, especially when i could potentially get a higher wage elsewhere.

Its business, a player is fully entitled to get the best deal he can get, why would he care about what normal punters are on?

Thats the cold reality of modern football lads, it shouldn't surprise anyone at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

K-9 wrote: »
    This time last year we hadn't even come around to the notion that we were title challengers, some even thought we wouldn't even get CL.

4th is an outside chance but mostly in our own hands. Things like Sterling and Lucas out will effect us, we'd luck on our side last season.

Grammer Natzi Allert

You spelt Luis incorrectly.

Anyways back on topic, 204k a week is crazy money for young fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

We are all rarnes accounts. Its just him talking to himself.......

Each one an echo of the original, arguing over the interpretation of the vibrations.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement