Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It boggles my mind continually when I hear of these footballers so consumed by greed that a weekly wage of £100,000 is not enough for them. Are they that far removed from real life that they can't understand it would take an average person 2-3 years to make that kind of money and they dont actually need that much...

Yep, studies have demonstrated that people struggle to comprehend the substantial difference between wealth once it goes over a certain amount. So, because you can't comprehend what it would be like to be a multi millionaire, you dismiss the fact that someone may be motivated to make a decision that secures them additional millions in earnings a year.

As BenEadir has already demonstrated a few times today, the difference being argued could amount to £13m over the lifetime of a contract. I wouldn't say arguing over that is a product of 'greed'. More a product of common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Grammer Natzi Allert

Did you deliberately spell 2 of those 3 words wrong???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

bur wrote: »
    No way should someone with his end product be making 100k, let alone 150k. Sell him for £40m in the Summer if he keeps this up.

Can I ask why you feel Liverpool deserve a world class transfer fee of 40 million, and yet you don't feel the player is worth a world class wage paid by your club?

Can't you see how you have skipped a few stops on the logic train here? I mean honestly think about what you just wrote. You think he's worth 40 million in a transfer....and yet isn't worth the wage that nearly every play who goes for that much gets paid.

Yes, he is entitled to get the best deal possible.
    Yes, the club is entitled to encourage a lower wage.
    Yes, it'll all get worked out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

My main concern with Sterling is that as soon as we give him all the monies he'll turn into Ashley Young

We don't know all the details but as has already been said - his stock is quite high right now, he's entitled to push for more. We signed him for 1.5m which was a sizeable risk for a 15 year old prospect but given his development, now looks like a bargain. As Lloyd has said, 13m over the course of a contract doesn't seem that big an amount to pay for the services of a player who could well push on and develop into a fantastic player over the course of that contract.

It's another risk, but I'm sure it's one the club will ultimately take if it comes down to it.

D'Agger wrote: »
    My main concern with Sterling is that as soon as we give him all the monies he'll turn into Ashley Young

And that's why we need to include big incentives for goals and assists.
    You being the goods, and you get paid...

K-9 wrote: »
    So then, Rafa and FHACTS.

Big Sam is a master troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

K-9 wrote: »
    So then, Rafa and FHACTS.

Big Sam will be chuckling away into his glass of wine tonight etc etc.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Big Sam will be chuckling away into his glass of wine tonight etc etc.

Wine? A pint of plain, morelike...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

What would people think Sterlings value would be if we were to sell him in the summer?

• Advertisement

What would people think Sterlings value would be if we were to sell him in the summer?

It would depend on whether he signs a new contract. If he doesn't, about 20 million. If he does, probably double that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Dickerty wrote: »

Eh, three?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Do you think the 3rd incorrectly spelled word was not deliberate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Kirby wrote: »
    It would depend on whether he signs a new contract. If he doesn't, about 20 million. If he does, probably double that.

If Berahino is being touted for 20 million then Sterling must be worth at least 1 quid more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Jesus, Berahino should be valued around £12 million

John W Henry is at tonights game, apart from seeing the Stadium work I wonder what else he'll be taking an interest in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Jesus, Berahino should be valued around £12 million
    8 million English player clause

If Berahino is being touted for 20 million then Sterling must be worth at least 1 quid more.

They can tout all they want. You don't get full value for a player running down his contract. The buying club holds the cards and they know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Pay the man to hell with developing players for Man City, Chelsea, Barca or Madrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

What wages did Coutinho agree on?

They can tout all they want. You don't get full value for a player running down his contract. The buying club holds the cards and they know it.

His contract is not up until June 2017. The club are hardly over a barrel just yet are they?

What wages did Coutinho agree on?

Reports say doubled to 70/80k

Coutinhos agent will be beating the door down

rob316 wrote: »
    Reports say doubled to 70/80k

Some difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

It boggles my mind continually when I hear of these footballers so consumed by greed that a weekly wage of £100,000 is not enough for them. Are they that far removed from real life that they can't understand it would take an average person 2-3 years to make that kind of money and they dont actually need that much...

Once again, can anyone please tell me why Sterling should take less from LFC than he can get elsewhere? Anyone?

• Advertisement

BenEadir wrote: »
    Once again, can anyone please tell me why Sterling should take less from LFC than he can get elsewhere? Anyone?

Anfield might be on his bus route.

Seriously, he might genuinely like where he is.

Indeed. Pay him. I've no problem with a club negotiating for the best deal....but this has been ongoing for a year at this stage. And it's in the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The PL bubble just got a £5.1B bigger.

Maybe he's happy at Liverpool?

His family are in Liverpool.

Liverpool are hardly paying him peanuts. How he'll survive on 120k a week I don't know. Might start a collection for him. He does have 7 kids to feed after all

Indeed. Pay him. I've no problem with a club negotiating for the best deal....but this has been ongoing for a year at this stage. And it's in the media.

Yeah, but you know nothing what's going on behind the scenes I'd guess. Same as the rest of us.

• Advertisement

Premier league rights sold at about a 65% increase from last time around. Good news for clubs, bad news for tv subscribers who'll likely have to fork out a similar % increase I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Anyone know What the last deal was worth .

A touch above £3bn.

5starpool wrote: »
    His contract is not up until June 2017. The club are hardly over a barrel just yet are they?

Psychologically they are and in football (like most things in life) perception is reality.

If Sterling refuses to sign a deal for the next 24 months what do you think is going to dominate the LFC news agenda? What signal will that send to all the top clubs in Europe? What signal will it send to players thinking of joining the club? How motivated do you think Sterling will be to give everything for a club he is mentally ready to leave?

If a contract which fully reflects Sterling's market value isn't offered to him soon he may well make his mind up to let his current contract run down and walk out the door when he'll still only be 23. That's the gamble the hard line merchants want to take and BTW, there's no safety net of just selling him off for £40m in 12 months time, that strategy was a great success with Borini and Milan Jovanovic before that. The days of selling players against their will like pieces of meat are long gone.

:eek: a 70% increase on the last period. that is astonishing.

£3.3b give or take its an increase of over 60%

Anfield might be on his bus route.

Seriously, he might genuinely like where he is.

Compared to his home city London or Madrid? Not on your Nellie!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Just give Sterling 120k a week. The new TV deal is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

£3.3b give or take its an increase of over 60%

Thats outrageous hopefully the clubs start to reduce ticket prices. Friday night games now aswell.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Maybe he's happy at Liverpool?

His family are in Liverpool.

Liverpool are hardly paying him peanuts. How he'll survive on 120k a week I don't know. Might start a collection for him. He does have 7 kids to feed after all

So there's no actual reason why he should take £50,000 a week less than he would probably get elsewhere? If Luke Shaw is worth £120,000 a week Sterling can easily justify being paid 25% more than him, especially as LFC only forked out £1.5m for Sterling whereas United had to pay £30m for Shaw.

Man I'd love to be an agent, it must be serious craic watching a club try and justify £100,000 a week for Sterling when Luke Shaw isn't a patch on Sterling and is getting £120,000 a week just down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Yeah, but you know nothing what's going on behind the scenes I'd guess. Same as the rest of us.

Yep no one really knows so its all speculation, I reckon if he stands his ground he will get what he asks for but his actions could see him sold soon after, and the club was just ensuring it gets top dollar in any transfer. Basically the more money he gets the less lightly he will be at LFC long term.

Thats outrageous hopefully the clubs start to reduce ticket prices. Friday night games now aswell.

I wouldn't think so.

I would also expect Sky subs to go up to pay for this increase.

So there's no actual reason why he should take £50,000 a week less than he would probably get elsewhere? If Luke Shaw is worth £120,000 a week Sterling can easily justify being paid 25% more than him, especially as LFC only forked out £1.5m for Sterling whereas United had to pay £30m for Shaw.

Man I'd love to be an agent, it must be serious craic watching a club try and justify £100,000 a week for Sterling when Luke Shaw isn't a patch on Sterling and is getting £120,000 a week just down the road.

Why are you comparing two teams with vastly different budgets.

Doesn't make any sense

Ticket prices will only come down if there are empty seats in the stadiums on a consistent basis. Clubs like LFC who have huge global support and waiting lists for season tickets etc will always charge what the punters are prepared to pay. That maximises revenue which provides funds to strengthen the squad which improves our chance of winning silverware which improves our global fan base and round and round we go. Reducing ticket prices, if it happens, will be a token PR gesture and limited to a small number of seats.

Compared to his home city London or Madrid? Not on your Nellie!!

Seems to like Jamaica maybe he will look to go to a club over there.

Why are you comparing two teams with vastly different budgets.

Doesn't make any sense

Sterlings market value isn't dictated by LFC's budget, it's dictated by what other clubs are prepared to pay him. If LFC can only afford to pay their star player £100,000 a week then they shouldn't be shopping in the Sterling shop. Simples. :D

Seems to like Jamaica maybe he will look to go to a club over there.

Once he gets paid his market rate he'll probably buy his own little island over there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057378488

It's my first match thread and if it all goes wrong I have my excuse ready.

lGWPsnH.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Look at his leg!!! That's got to be a 3/4 week injury at least!!

:D
    rob316 wrote: »
    1530408_1100735103286817_4148661456648013458_n.jpg?oh=11b9cf8f39e8fed019090e1888b5ede4&oe=5591B022&__gda__=1430791240_2cf60c1db910601b059b32344628c395

mike65 in front of studge there ?

:pac:

• Advertisement

We should just do a Suarez on him, offer him 200 grand a week from the start of next season to sign a long term contract then sell him for 50 million in the summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement