Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i dont think the manager does not want to pay him top dollar, i think his whole point is that he wants him to keep striving for success ...not get the big bucks and relax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Why are you comparing two teams with vastly different budgets.

Doesn't make any sense

Because that's the market we want to compete in, i would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Why are you comparing two teams with vastly different budgets.

Doesn't make any sense

Fair enough but it isnt like we can't afford to pay him those wages. We just have a TV deal that increased 70%, new revenue streams all over the place, new increased kit sponsorship. We have moved loads of players on over the last few years on 100k+. Johnson and Gerrard both on those kind of salaries will move on in the summer.

This seems to be the club saying they are unwilling to give a player at that age a certain amount of money. It is understandable from wage structures and precedents being set etc. but with all rules there are exceptions and I think Sterling is so special for his age he is one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

i dont think the manager does not want to pay him top dollar, i think his whole point is that he wants him to keep striving for success ...not get the big bucks and relax

Double negative....brain hurts :)

So Rodgers seems to be justifying not paying him what he wants because he does not want a big salary to stunt his progress.

To try to convince a player to sign for a lower than market salary so that he progresses to his full potential is quite an unorthodox approach, one which I would imagine stands very little chance of succeeding. Can you imagine an agent telling his player not to go for the big bucks, or to sign and not hang on for a massive signing on fee or long term deal. This is football, it is not fantasy land.

Because that's the market we want to compete in, i would imagine.

120k a week isn't as big a deal to Utd as it is to us. They earn more than double what we earn match day alone
    Fair enough but it isnt like we can't afford to pay him those wages. We just have a TV deal that increased 70%, new revenue streams all over the place, new increased kit sponsorship. We have moved loads of players on over the last few years on 100k+. Johnson and Gerrard both on those kind of salaries will move on in the summer.

This seems to be the club saying they are unwilling to give a player at that age a certain amount of money. It is understandable from wage structures and precedents being set etc. but with all rules there are exceptions and I think Sterling is so special for his age he is one of them.

I think the club should certainly pay him the wages. Let him go and it'd be a disaster by the club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057378488

It's my first match thread and if it all goes wrong I have my excuse ready.

lGWPsnH.jpg

tumblr_ltt20fxpLS1qh59n0o7_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Has a team been leaked at all for tonight? I see Markcovic starting in the front three on a team doing the rounds but don't know if is from a reliable source. Anyone able to confirm if it is the guy who usually leaks the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Double negative....brain hurts :)

So Rodgers seems to be justifying not paying him what he wants because he does not want a big salary to stunt his progress.

To try to convince a player to sign for a lower than market salary so that he progresses to his full potential is quite an unorthodox approach, one which I would imagine stands very little chance of succeeding. Can you imagine an agent telling his player not to go for the big bucks, or to sign and not hang on for a massive signing on fee or long term deal. This is football, it is not fantasy land.

if you seen the interview he was saying too much too young can ruin a player, he knows raheem, maybe he thinks he could ruin what could be a great career ..who knows...certainly me or you dont have a better idea than the guy managing him on a daily basis ...

he could be a billy big balls, doesn't come across that way but maybe the signs are there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yep, studies have demonstrated that people struggle to comprehend the substantial difference between wealth once it goes over a certain amount. So, because you can't comprehend what it would be like to be a multi millionaire, you dismiss the fact that someone may be motivated to make a decision that secures them additional millions in earnings a year.

As BenEadir has already demonstrated a few times today, the difference being argued could amount to £13m over the lifetime of a contract. I wouldn't say arguing over that is a product of 'greed'. More a product of common sense.

Contracts don't really matter anyway, unless a player is crap!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I think the thing with Sterling is that the LFC model since Henry took over has been to get all high paid players out of the club and replace them with young hungry players on much lower wages.

Rodgers has done well to bring in a few acadamey players into the first team also. Sterling's progress has really accelrated over the last two seasons becoming a regular for LFC and England. He is obviously a special talent but if we blow out budgets to sign him up it sets a precedent that will spread quite quickly in the dressing room. Lets say Ibe suddenly scores a load of goals, his agent will be in quick to Rodgers then too. It's a tricky one. Obviously everyone wants him to sign up but Rodgers is trying to play abit of hard ball saying things like he wouldn't have got the chance in other clubs etc.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

BTW, I'm not saying the club should pay Sterling £150,000 a week. If the club can't afford it or feels it will set a precedent which will lead to every player having an inflated salary expectation then the club would be right to make it's best offer and tell Sterling he's free to leave at the end of his contract if what LFC can afford to pay him isn't enough for him.

We all know LFC isn't at the top table financially so why should any of us be surprised or disappointed if we can't match what City or Chelsea can pay Sterling? It would be a big loss but the reality is if Sterling or any really top top player wants to maximise their earnings LFC isn't where they are going to do it. Sure we can match the wages of any amount of £40k - £80k type players in the PL as there is less competition for them from the likes of City, United and Chelsea etc but when it comes to the really top top talent the reality is if City, Chelsea, United and depressingly Arsenal really want that player not only can they out bid us in terms of wages but they can offer the player a greater chance of winning silverware also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Heard he's been stuck in front of a mirror for the last from months trying to perfect his Chandsome hairstyle.
    Knex. wrote: »
    Had a post half written, saying he went into a hairdressers a few weeks back and has yet to emerge, before I saw yours :pac:

Funny men!

Can's hair is lovely though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We once gave Joe Cole over 100k a week. Jovanovic 90k, and Glen Johnson is currently on 120k.

I can see why Sterling is looking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

John W Henry is at tonights game, apart from seeing the Stadium work I wonder what else he'll be taking an interest in?

The team he owns :P

hefferboi wrote: »
    Funny men!

Can's hair is lovely though :D

How's the 'boi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

We once gave Joe Cole over 100k a week. Jovanovic 90k, and Glen Johnson is currently on 120k.

I can see why Sterling is looking for it.

But can Sterling caress golf balls like Joe can?

Hopefully Linda will have clean sheets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

BenEadir wrote: »
    BTW, I'm not saying the club should pay Sterling £150,000 a week. If the club can't afford it or feels it will set a precedent which will lead to every player having an inflated salary expectation then the club would be right to make it's best offer and tell Sterling he's free to leave at the end of his contract if what LFC can afford to pay him isn't enough for him.

We all know LFC isn't at the top table financially so why should any of us be surprised or disappointed if we can't match what City or Chelsea can pay Sterling? It would be a big loss but the reality is if Sterling or any really top top player wants to maximise their earnings LFC isn't where they are going to do it. Sure we can match the wages of any amount of £40k - £80k type players in the PL as there is less competition for them from the likes of City, United and Chelsea etc but when it comes to the really top top talent the reality is if City, Chelsea, United and depressingly Arsenal really want that player not only can they out bid us in terms of wages but they can offer the player a greater chance of winning silverware also.

Sterling representatives may flush out the true ambitions of this FSG regime. A truly big club withambition would pay the guy the going rate (provided other potential suitors were offering the same should he leave) and trust the manager to keep the guy focused and motivated.

The lad has the world at his feet. If we don't want to meet his demands and others will then it's a sign the player has outgrown the club unfortunately and this is a very worrying sign.

We then have to face up to the fact that despite all the guff about "seeking value" and chasing titles etc....... FSG are more interested in buying younger players on the cheap in the hope of flipping them for a huge profit before having to pay them proper wages.

Ask John Terry

1400x88911-e1421792420183.jpg

Joe Cole was probably paid 20m by the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Mignolet
    Can
    Skrtel
    Sakho
    Ibe
    Moreno
    Henderson
    Gerrard
    Markovic
    Coutinho
    Sturridge

Subs: Ward, Johnson, Lovren, Lambert, Lallana, Allen, Balotelli

Henderson is going to have to put in a serious shift

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gerrard as DM :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

How's the 'boi?

I'm good! What have I missed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If Joe Cole is the golf ball Messi, Sterling would be the golf ball 'Ronnie'....substandard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Gerrard as DM :(

You would have to think that Henderson is going to play DM.... Please someone tell me Gerrard isnt going back in there :(

rossc007 wrote: »
    You would have to think that Henderson is going to play DM.... Please someone tell me Gerrard isnt going back in there :(

But Gerrard is the "Quarterback" DM. "World Class"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Has it actually even reported how much Sterling and his representives are looking for? I've seen a few figures bandied about. What's he currently on?

monkey9 wrote: »
    Has it actually even reported how much Sterling and his representives are looking for? I've seen a few figures bandied about. What's he currently on?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqOkLBJvSDxBpmsC9xDUgnukyOxuvrU9FqbKGK1Pk36tWVx1xj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

rossc007 wrote: »

He's not going back in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Been a few different figures floating about all right!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Gerrard as cm....this isnt gonna be good. He looked bolloxed against everton, i dont even want to imagine how lethargic hes gonna look tonight, in a position where he can be easily punished.

I really wish rodgers would just use him properly, 20/30 mins off the bench in an advanced position. The worst thing about gerrard starting is that he rarely gets subbed for some inexpliable reason as though its forbidden, which means its probably gonna be 90 mins of gerrard being over run by ryan mason and nabil bentaleb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Compared to his home city London or Madrid? Not on your Nellie!!

Now you're just guessing. Plenty of people leave their home town and enjoy their life elsewhere.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Now you're just guessing. Plenty of people leave their home town and enjoy their life elsewhere.

It's not easy relocating 12 kids either.

hefferboi wrote: »
    I'm good! What have I missed?

Few breakdowns, a couple of people questioning both their own existence, and the existence of others. The usual, minus pandas, saps and thug life anteaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Oh man... Can't help but be worried with that line up.

Tonight is a big night for Gerrard to actually prove he can play CM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The point of buying and playing 'young hungry talented potential' is (or should be) Sterling. Congrats Liverpool, you won the lottery without having to pay a huge transfer fee or signing on bonus or pay a player for limited pgood years with no resale value. If it's a case of having to let players go when they turn out good then our strategy is utterly bankrupt and pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Looking like Ibe was brought back to play a big part, not just squad cover. Really good to see.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Looking like Ibe was brought back to play a big part, not just squad cover. Really good to see.

When is his contract up?

£75k a week for the lad I'm saying now :pac::p

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The point of buying and playing 'young hungry talented potential' is (or should be) Sterling. Congrats Liverpool, you won the lottery without having to pay a huge transfer fee or signing on bonus or pay a player for limited pgood years with no resale value. If it's a case of having to let players go when they turn out good then our strategy is utterly bankrupt and pointless.

Ya, surely Sterling is the perfect example of what we are trying to achieve. I am genuinely interested to see how we handle the perfect scenario here. Not getting this sorted by the summer could lead to problems.

When is his contract up?

£75k a week for the lad I'm saying now :pac::p

Get it done early!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

3-1 to Spurs and this place to go into meltdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqOkLBJvSDxBpmsC9xDUgnukyOxuvrU9FqbKGK1Pk36tWVx1xj

God daaam it I just cannot get a straight answer to this question today.

image.jpg?w=470&c=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Great to see such optimism on here tonight. I guess the overating of Spurs is back. Remember they were going to challenge for the title at the start of 13/14.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Great to see such optimism on here tonight. I guess the overating of Spurs is back. Remember they were going to challenge for the title at the start of 13/14.

You won't be saying that when Harry Kane scores 4 hat tricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

90 minutes of Gerrard standing on our CB's toes is going to drive my nuts. The back three have shown they don't need a midfielder to drop deep and collect the ball off them to make a pass. All it does is invite pressure deeper into our half.

The Irish Independent said Sterling wants 160k in euro. So 120k.
    We are reportedly offering 90k euro or 66/7k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Let's do it for Voronin, he scored against Spurs once ... it was meant to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Few breakdowns, a couple of people questioning both their own existence, and the existence of others. The usual, minus pandas, saps and thug life anteaters.

Real philosophical strain in the thread lately all right.

It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers.

Sticking with Sky for a few more years.

https://twitter.com/Carra23/status/565196577275641856

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement