Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I'll give the manager credit when it's deserved.

Like last season, like this current run, like by praising Can (who the manager bought).

I won't pretend he is doing a brilliant job this season (we're in 7th), or that all our summer signings are great (considering the money spent they've been poor except Can)
    20-25m for a player isnt as much as it was with the TV money. Di Maria cost 60m & isnt doing great. Our net spend was only 30m & we pay the 5th most in wages in the league. Rodgers deserves credit for the 3-4-3 system & for his substitutes last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

noodler wrote: »
    Can is the only summer signing you could call a definite success so far. The other 90% of the money looks like it was poorly spent.

Just because it's not a definite success so far doesn't mean it's been poorly spent. Some of it definitely looks like it's been poorly spent but not 90%! Lovren, Balo, Lallana, Lambert - poorly spent. Can looks good. Jury's out on Markovic, Moreno and Origi - I'm not prepared to say any of those 3 is money poorly spent - yet

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

klose wrote: »
    If people are upset over the current crop of signings for their value wait till next season when that 5 billion pound tv deal kicks, going to be impossible to find a bargain and will be made pay well ofer the odds for every player. We are creeping up the table and our summer signings are playing their part.

Minor clarification, but the new tv deal doesn't kick in until the 16/17 season. This and next season, the tv money will be as last season, as will the tv fixtures, so no Friday night games for another 18 months.

I do agree though that the equivalent of Lallana will cost around 40m in 2 years time though, which is just criminal.

8-10 wrote: »
    .......... Jury's out on Markovic, Moreno and Origi -

I'd consider Moreno a good buy, we can't expect them all to be as good value as Can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Agreed on Can. Really like him.

Markovic & Balotelli might come good-but for the money paid for them we should be seeing much more now.

People gloating about Rodgers/our summer transfers while we sit in 7th in the table is very sad.

Acknowledging Rodgers has turned it around and we are now genuine top 4 challengers is not gloating.

Enjoy it. One gets the impression you don't like Rodgers winning matches.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

8-10 wrote: »
    Just because it's not a definite success so far doesn't mean it's been poorly spent. Some of it definitely looks like it's been poorly spent but not 90%! Lovren, Balo, Lallana, Lambert - poorly spent. Can looks good. Jury's out on Markovic, Moreno and Origi - I'm not prepared to say any of those 3 is money poorly spent - yet

I wouldn't say there was many in here that thought the money spent on loveren and lambert was bad buisness, I actually thought loveren was going to be a beast of a CB.

Lallana may have been a bit on the expensive side but he's not played too bad considering he picked up an injury in preseason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Lallana Lovren and Balotelli have been a huge waste of money when you look at them as being first teamers. Thats over 60m spent on players who dont play regularly, which is incredible for a club with supposedly limited funds. Sure some will say Lallanas played well and in some games he has but 23m+ and 80k a week thats a very poor return. Lovren has been absolutely disgracefully bad and I know he scored last night but Mario in general has been a disaster.

The other signings have taken time to settle and look like they may be decent. Can has been the standout performer. Some of the fee's paid have been incredible for what we've gotten.

Generally when it comes to the summer signings and the money spent, its at least borderline incompetent that we didn't get a goalscorer and GK for whatever reason.

The transfer process still needs a complete overhaul as its track record is terrible when it comes to value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Ibe looks like a very decent player. Pace, power, composure great to see the academy bringing some players through again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

K-9 wrote: »
    Acknowledging Rodgers has turned it around and we are now genuine top 4 challengers is not gloating.

Enjoy it. One gets the impression you don't like Rodgers winning matches.
    We were 2nd last season. Being genuine top 4 challengers was supposed to be a given.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    I would think people are just happy at the turnaround seen since the 3 losses on the trot in the league.

A very impressive run of form that bodes well for the future, shows that Rodgers has a bit of something about him.

The early season form all going well will be seen as nothing more than a blip, a blip that might result in Liverpool not finishing in the Top4 but you either accept that for what it is or go full [EMAIL="ret@rd"]ret@rd[/EMAIL] negative.

I thought it quite sad that some folks were doubting he'd turn it around back in November.

The only reason I started to wonder was from what I was seeing, but I'd never call for his head without damn good reason.

There are some that seem to be waiting for it all to go wrong though. Anyway the signings are encouraging but it's stupid to call them so early, did that with Henderson.

I do think Lala a is unlucky because of the system we are playing but he's still doing a job for us.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We were 2nd last season. Being genuine top 4 challengers was supposed to be a given.

2 major reasons we were so good are absent though - 1 we sold and the other out for 5 months. If Sturridge had been fit we would be challenging the Top 2.

And we are doing that after the teething problems, it wasn't looking good for a while. It isn't a team full of superstars or egos so would take time to work out.

Track record is what counts, and Rodgers had shown we get better and better as the season goes on. Opinions don't best FHACTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

K-9 wrote: »
    The only reason I started to wonder was from what I was seeing, but I'd never call for his head without damn good reason.

There are some that seem to be waiting for it all to go wrong though. Anyway the signings are encouraging but it's stupid to call them so early, did that with Henderson.

I do think Lala a is unlucky because of the system we are playing but he's still doing a job for us.

I think Lallana has had a few niggly injuries recently which has affected him slotting into the system tbh. Reckon the attacking 2 from Coutinho/Sterling/Lallana are as good as you could ask for and you would have 1 of them on the bench to come on for each game.

Sturridge needs a viable alternative more hopefully Origi will prove to be one but i reckon we need another as well.

With Villa in bother i think Benteke would be a decent addition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I'd consider Moreno a good buy, we can't expect them all to be as good value as Can

I agree, and LB is a tricky position to find, there are lot of average LBs around.
    Look at what Shaw went for, and what Baynes would command if available...

We were always going to find it hard to get value when every club knew how much we had to spend. I think this summer will be different - I expect us to be medieval in culling some of the herd (7/8 players out), and I think we'll bring in only 3/4 to complete for the first team squad.

I think Lambert, Borini, Enrique and Johnson will go, as well as Coates, Aspas, Alberto, Toure. Wisdom replaces Toure, Origi replaces Borini/Lambert, so we need to see how we are covered at FBs (depends on whether we stay with a back 3), whether Can plays DCM or CB, and see how to support Sturridge and Sterling in getting goals.

I suspect a top striker and CM to come in, for serious money, if we are to stay competitive...

rob316 wrote: »
    2 major reasons we were so good are absent though - 1 we sold and the other out for 5 months. If Sturridge had been fit we would be challenging the Top 2.

That may or may not be the case. We were playing awfully before mid December though, and it wasn't the lack of Sturridge that was making that the case as has been shown in displays in the last 8 weeks which have for the most part been better, and almost all without him too. It'll take a while for him to get back to full sharpness but at least he's progressing well now and has come close a few times as well as scoring against West Ham.

Overall we have recovered well this season, but if we fall short of the top 4, as I expect we will, it will have been the awful start to the season to blame obviously, and much as it's good that we have turned it around and Rodgers deserves praise for that, a lot of the things that caused us to lose out on top 4 in the first place are also his fault as he persisted for far too long with a system that clearly wasn't working before he experimented and found something that worked better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Just in terms of left back, I'm a big fan of Aaron Creswell at West Ham. He's a Scouser and Liverpool fan and worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's like it's only a binary question.

Either you're brilliant like Can or you're absolute ****e.

There's a sliding scale for how much a player delivers.

Down the bottom we have Lovren, who's been actively terrible, then maybe we have Balo, who just hasn't had an impact.

Lallana has been good in parts but has been too injury prone.

But the likes of Markovic, Moreno, Manquillo have been very promising.
    Can is remarkable because he looks so refined. Not being the finished article like he appears to be isn't a criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

'Turning it around' is a very relative term.

Our run in from here to May looks pretty damn tough to me.

Nobody will remember/care that Rodgers had a mini-revival from being utter crap to being decent between Nov 2014-Feb 2015 if we finish 7th.

Gbear wrote: »
    But the likes of Markovic, Moreno, Manquillo have been very promising.
    Can is remarkable because he looks so refined. Not being the finished article like he appears to be isn't a criticism.

On Markovic.

He has a very good game aginst Sunderland ONE MONTH AGO.

He looked poor when opportunities came his way before that. Its amzing how months of being ineffective/poor can all be forgotten by being decent for a month.

I don't mean that as a critcisim of the player as such - I just hate to see people so desperate to justify a heavy price tag that they will jump all over microcosms within a season to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Win was fantastic and we showed good determination to come back into the game after getting pegged back twice. Having Ibe step into the team and adapting so easily was just wonderful to see. With Sturridge getting up to full fitness as well, we are finally seeing the old fluidity to our game come back. Now that Sterling actually has players who are on the same wavelength as him (Sturridge+Ibe), you can see just how much opposition defences are getting pulled apart, because when those three players play together, it's virtually impossible for a defence to keep their shape and mark them all. I think it's clear now that the formation is not the problem, it's the players. For the front three to work, you need a very particular player (fast, great feet, great touch, confidence to run at player, swapping positions, etc.). Lambert and Borini have got their chances, but let's be honest, they look pale shadows of the players that we have seen in the last few days. People talk about having the likes of Borini and Lambert as a plan B, but to be honest, our plan B is rank.

• Advertisement

Nobody will remember/care that Rodgers had a mini-revival from being utter crap to being decent between Nov 2014-Feb 2015 if we finish 7th.

That's the spirit!

Markovic is an odd one. He stank the place out earlier in the season, like several other players I must add. The last couple of months he has had a couple of good displays but many more where he has looked ok. Last night was another one of his ok ones. He scored, albeit with a weak shot that should have been saved, but it was nice alert, direct play from him. It seems that he is still a bit tentative and not fully releasing himself at times. Perhaps he is too aware of his defensive responsibilities to fully commit forward at times?

I think there is definitely more to come from him, but the exciting flashes of him are pretty few and far between if I'm being honest, and I hope to see more, and we need to see more if he is to be a success here.

On a different note, but if we did happen to slip a bit away from the top 4 race in the next while (hopefully not though), I'd like to see Jordan Rossiter get a few games near the end of the season. I know he is injured right now, and still only 17, but I'd rather see him than Joe Allen if we have games that are near dead rubbers at the end of the season to see what he can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Huge games coming up, and a very difficult run. If we somehow get top 4 from here we'll deserve it and it will be on par with last seasons magnificent run in.

Top 4 is still an outside shot IMO considering who we have to play, but we are challenging which is all i expect at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

On Markovic.

He has a very good game aginst Sunderland ONE MONTH AGO.

He looked poor when opportunities came his way before that. Its amzing how months of being ineffective/poor can all be forgotten by being decent for a month.

I don't mean that as a critcisim of the player as such - I just hate to see people so desperate to justify a heavy price tag that they will jump all over microcosms within a season to do so.

It's as a direct response to people jumping on him and others at every opportunity.

"SEE! SEE! WHAT A ****ING WASTE OF MONEY. A 20 YEAR OLD DID A BAD THING ON THE PITCH!"

He's looked grand. 9 times out of 10, a player like that isn't going to justify his price tag until they have time to develop and settle at the club.

He's been solid enough at RWB and has shown flashes of what he can do in attack. Like I said: promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Next summers new signings are all muck. Can't believe we spent that amount on them.

brevity wrote: »
    Why didn't Gerrard do that on Demba ba?

Would have been a red in that position...

Our last 3 games included; West Ham, Everton away & Spurs.

After the two Chelsea cup games and the last 13 league games we should be confident of taking points off everyone, no doubt we won't but I wouldn't be putting Chelsea & Man City down as two defeats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

Ibe looks so comfortable on the ball, pity he can't teach it to Sakho, he's also proof the system of loaning out young players can work.

I'd be much more comfortable watching Can's turns\tricks in midfield, he'll get caught on one of them in defense that'll lead to a goal.

T-K-O wrote: »
    Next summers new signings are all muck. Can't believe we spent that amount on them.

I know, who'd have thought that Ibra would stink the place out so badly, especially with Vidal performing equally poor in midfield?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

<snip>

While not massively Liverpool related. I can't understand for the life of me why Dembele goes down here. He could have easily kept going and Spurs would have been on a great counter attack.

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    I can't understand for the life of me why Dembele goes down here. He could have easily kept going and Spurs would have been on a great counter attack.

Cause he's a sap. And not in a good way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd imagine you'd find a lot of crossover between the Gerrard haters and the guys who hate Robbie Keane. When I read the posts that cascade criticism down upon him every single game I receive an image of small squirrelly men behind a keyboard who have read one too many bull**** tabloid for their own good.

It wasn't ideal for Gerrard to play there last night but, being honest, he did okay. We miss Lucas terribly imo but there's no point starting Allen and playing with 10 and a half men.
    NukaCola wrote: »
    Lallana Lovren and Balotelli have been a huge waste of money when you look at them as being first teamers. Thats over 60m spent on players who dont play regularly, which is incredible for a club with supposedly limited funds. Sure some will say Lallanas played well and in some games he has but 23m+ and 80k a week thats a very poor return. Lovren has been absolutely disgracefully bad and I know he scored last night but Mario in general has been a disaster.

The other signings have taken time to settle and look like they may be decent. Can has been the standout performer. Some of the fee's paid have been incredible for what we've gotten.

Generally when it comes to the summer signings and the money spent, its at least borderline incompetent that we didn't get a goalscorer and GK for whatever reason.

The transfer process still needs a complete overhaul as its track record is terrible when it comes to value for money.

Can has been brilliant.
    Moreno has been decent.
    Markovic is getting on a little better.
    Lambert and Manquillo are kind of a non entity, but so what.

I agree with the first paragraph above.

Thing is though, from last year's signings who are we really stoked about at this stage? Sakho is good and young enough that it's a good signing. Do we love Mignolet again?

Who cares for the moment though. The squad we have is what we have to live with to the end of the season and they are in some form right now. Last night was electric and we have serious momentum on our side right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Can anyone tell me what Sakho was doing for Spurs's first goal last night? I'm not even talking about the slip. He seems to run towards the ball, where there already quite a few Liverpool players, and totally loses Harry Kane. Surely he should be anticipating the pass and sticking to him?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=776590819091408

Great to be top of the form table. Unfortunately the three teams we're trying to catch are 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the form table. A win against Southampton is absolutely vital now.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/form-guide.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'd imagine you'd find a lot of crossover between the Gerrard haters and the guys who hate Robbie Keane. When I read the posts that cascade criticism down upon him every single game I receive an image of small squirrelly men behind a keyboard who have read one too many bull**** tabloid for their own good.

It wasn't ideal for Gerrard to play there last night but, being honest, he did okay. We miss Lucas terribly imo but there's no point starting Allen and playing with 10 and a half men.

Can has been brilliant.
    Moreno has been decent.

Thing is though, from last year's signings who are we really stoked about at this stage? Sakho is good and young enough that it's a good signing. Do we love Mignolet again?

Who cares for the moment though. The squad we have is what we have to live with to the end of the season and they are in some form right now. Last night was electric and we have serious momentum on our side right now.

On Manquillo, going to be hard for him to get back into the team with both Ibe and Markovic ahead of him for RWB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

tok9 wrote: »

While not massively Liverpool related. I can't understand for the life of me why Dembele goes down here. He could have easily kept going and Spurs would have been on a great counter attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBwKQD68EkE If your feet hit off each other it can be difficult to stay up

Love is a strong word. If he continues as is, I presume he is still our long term plan. But if we could find a promising 20/21 y/o keeper somewhere to bring in and push him, I'd definately do it.

That's the spirit. Sturridge will improve, so I expect us to find more joy in close games, where we didn't in some of our recent 0-0 draws.

Gbear wrote: »
    It's as a direct response to people jumping on him and others at every opportunity.

"SEE! SEE! WHAT A ****ING WASTE OF MONEY. A 20 YEAR OLD DID A BAD THING ON THE PITCH!"

He's looked grand. 9 times out of 10, a player like that isn't going to justify his price tag until they have time to develop and settle at the club.

He's been solid enough at RWB and has shown flashes of what he can do in attack. Like I said: promising.

If you believe the bit in bold then we are at radically different viewpoints. He wasn't even grand last night and he scored!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Agreed on Can. Really like him.

Markovic & Balotelli might come good-but for the money paid for them we should be seeing much more now.

People gloating about Rodgers/our summer transfers while we sit in 7th in the table is very sad.

Everything in this world is not black and white. Some things need to be looked at in context, like our position of 7th in the table for example. After the start we had to this season 7th right now is a good accomplishment.

We lost the two most productive players in the league last year, bar none, for all of the season so far except 3 games from Sturridge at the start of the season and 130 odd minutes since his return. Any team in the world would struggle after losing the two most productive players in their respective leagues, to say otherwise is disingenuous or just plain stupid!

We brought in alot of new players, young players with great potential. It was always going to take a while to bed in that many players at the same time, making our poor form at the start of the season a bit more understandable.

While all of this has been going on we also adopted a new system about half way through the season, a system which was unfamiliar to almost all of our players.

But you should never mind about all that, tis merely a mish mash of excuses and I agree with you, Liverpool should win the league every year regardless of anything that happens in the real world from year to year!! Hell even if we were to get relegated one year I still think we should win the Premier League the year after, no excuses!!! :rolleyes:

QUOTE]

Have you been pleased with any of his performances this season. Is it ok that he's a passenger and the games pass him by because he was previously world class?

I hear all season long he is in the wrong position but he has been poor to decidedly average anywhere I have seen him play this season. His set piece delivery hasn't even been up to scratch this season.

We aren't Gerrard haters his performances warrant our criticism. We will give the same to any other player that deserves it, Gerrard should be no exception.

• Advertisement

mormank wrote: »
    Everything in this world is not black and white. Some things need to be looked at in context, like our position of 7th in the table for example. After the start we had to this season 7th right now is a good accomplishment.

We lost the two most productive players in the league last year, bar none, for all of the season so far except 3 games from Sturridge at the start of the season and 130 odd minutes since his return. Any team in the world would struggle after losing the two most productive players in their respective leagues, to say otherwise is disingenuous or just plain stupid!

We brought in alot of new players, young players with great potential. It was always going to take a while to bed in that many players at the same time, making our poor form at the start of the season a bit more understandable.

While all of this has been going on we also adopted a new system about half way through the season, a system which was unfamiliar to almost all of our players.

But you should never mind about all that, tis merely a mish mash of excuses and I agree with you, Liverpool should win the league every year regardless of anything that happens in the real world from year to year!! Hell even if we were to get relegated one year I still think we should win the Premier League the year after, no excuses!!! :rolleyes:

Losing your star striker (Suarez) is a huge blow, but when you get £75m for him and end up panic buying a striker that the manager didn't want as replacement, you are asking for trouble, and to excuse that is hiding shortcomings in our transfer dealings.

Thats alot of hyperbole in one post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Can has been brilliant.
    Moreno has been decent.

Well to be fair to Llyod, at least there's a bit of balance to your posts unlike some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

rob316 wrote: »
    Have you been pleased with any of his performances this season. Is it ok that he's a passenger and the games pass him by because he was previously world class?

I hear all season long he is in the wrong position but he has been poor to decidedly average anywhere I have seen him play this season. His set piece delivery hasn't even been up to scratch this season.

We aren't Gerrard haters his performances warrant our criticism. We will give the same to any other player that deserves it, Gerrard should be no exception.

Yes I have. Away at Leicester and AFC Wimbledon and at home to Basle he was our best player each time imo to name three games off the top of my head. So I simply don't agree with the assertion in the second paragraph. His set piece delivery is also the best thing we've got and something we'll miss terribly.

Last night's performance simply did not warrant criticism. He's not what he used to be, and no one would claim he dominated. But he was a 6.5 out of 10. Which is fine. That isn't losing anyone any games. Sure, other players have to win it, but he hung in the middle and did a ****ing job against a technically adept and agile Spurs attack. He also put away a clutch penalty. Yeah it's only a penalty - but someone needs to stick them away.

In my view people are waiting to criticise, looking for excuses to criticise - and rubbing their squirrely little palms in glee anytime he isn't brilliant so that they can focus on things he is doing badly or not doing.

5starpool wrote: »
    Losing your star striker (Suarez) is a huge blow, but when you get £75m for him and end up panic buying a striker that the manager didn't want as replacement, you are asking for trouble, and to excuse that is hiding shortcomings in our transfer dealings.

Well whether you like to admit or not we have more striker options this season than last, and arguably for one less position. Last season we played two up top for alot of it with only Suarez and Sturridge as striker options. This season we have been playing with one up top with Sturridge, Mario, Borini and Lambert on the books for that position. We did replace Suarez last summer, just not in the way everyone was hoping for. I would hazard a guess that last season we used one of the smallest, if not the smallest, pool of players of any team in the Premier League. The squad depth simply had to be addressed, especially with the Champion's league this season, and it was.

Thats alot of hyperbole in one post.

Are you sure you know the meaning of the word hyperbole and your not just mis using it here? Cos judging from your posts it would seem you don't. :confused:

• Advertisement

Yes I have. Away at Leicester and AFC Wimbledon and at home to Basle he was our best player each time imo to name three games off the top of my head. So I simply don't agree with the assertion in the second paragraph. His set piece delivery is also the best thing we've got and something we'll miss terribly.

Last night's performance simply did not warrant criticism. He's not what he used to be, and no one would claim he dominated. But he was a 6.5 out of 10. Which is fine. That isn't losing anyone any games. Sure, other players have to win it, but he hung in the middle and did a ****ing job against a technically adept and agile Spurs attack. He also put away a clutch penalty. Yeah it's only a penalty - but someone needs to stick them away.

In my view people are waiting to criticise, looking for excuses to criticise - and rubbing their squirrely little palms in glee anytime he isn't brilliant so that they can focus on things he is doing badly or not doing.

Not meant as a slight on Gerrard but I think Coutinho will be an able replacement for Gerrard when it comes to set pieces next season.

Are you sure you know the meaning of the word hyperbole and your not just mis using it here? Cos judging from your posts it would seem you don't. :confused:

Woah now.

Keep it civil.

That is incredibly generous. Him and Coutinho for me were the worst Liverpool players last night, he was woeful against Everton, woeful against Bolton - those are just 3 games off the top of my head.

Hi set piece delivery has been awful this season. The only purpose he serves for me is taking penalties and the odd 30/40 yard diagonal ball.

I was always worried would we be ok after Gerrard but tbh we will be absolutely fine.

Woah now.

Keep it civil.

Sorry, I'm just allergic to blind hypocrisy. I believe in the last page or the page before you described the team before xmas or something like that as "utter crap", then you call my post out for being hyperbolic! Many other posts of yours are hyperbolic also. In fact I believe almost every post in this forum is hyperbolic as most people will brush up the truth slightly to make their argument look slightly better. So for that post to be the one called out for it is a bit rich.

Woah now.

Keep it civil.

Are you for real! :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement