Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

AdamD wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBwKQD68EkE If your feet hit off each other it can be difficult to stay up

In that clip.. ya that's fine. But you can clearly see Dembele just falls. If you look at the leg that wasn't touched, he just decides to dive instead of going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

mormank wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm just allergic to blind hypocrisy. I believe in the last page or the page before you described the team before xmas or something like that as "utter crap", then you call my post out for being hyperbolic! Many other posts of yours are hyperbolic also. In fact I believe almost every post in this forum is hyperbolic as most people will brush up the truth slightly to make their argument look slightly better. So for that post to be the one called out for it is a bit rich.

Your entire post about Alan was the very definition of hyperbole.

In what way do you not understand this? I wish you would read the definition of the word and then read the post quoting Alan again so you can avoid a senseless slangng match because I correctly described your post.

You were being utterly deliberate in your exaggerations of his position - it wasn't really a typical post.

EDIT: The team was crap before Xmas! Not much disagreement there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

noodler wrote: »
    Jesus, one premier league goal in February....lets not do this - Mario will be shipped out first chance we get.

I'd also be reserving judgement on Markovic.

Can looks excellent though.

I never said that they are justifying their price-tag, I never mentioned them being good signings.
    My point was that signings need time to show what they can do, not all hit the ground running like Sturridge.
    They are beginning to show what they can do and not just Can, he is the pick on recent form though.
    The incredibly harsh criticism and dismissal of these players after a few games was incredible short-sighted and delusional by some - sad even.
    Not saying you have done that, as I can't recall.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    Agreed on Can. Really like him.

Markovic & Balotelli might come good-but for the money paid for them we should be seeing much more now.

People gloating about Rodgers/our summer transfers while we sit in 7th in the table is very sad.

There was no gloating, just pointing out that they can't be dismissed yet.
    Not everything is so black and white Alan, there's shades of grey to everything but you seem to only deal in absolutes.

Yes we sit 7th and yes we likely won't get fourth but we are certainly going hell for leather at the moment. And Moreno, Can, Lallana and Markovic are heavily involved in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

20 pts from last 24. We've really kicked on since the injury time equaliser against Arsenal. Next 2 league games will be interesting to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

My Take on Summer signings

Lovren -A stinker ,could turn it around but so far a stinker
    Lalana -OK ,Has looked promising but Manager clearly does not trust him yet and we over paid
    Manquilo -poor,Who really knows though ,Manager clearly does not trust him
    Markovic - OK ,Is being played out of postion has shown flashes but still think as rwb he is the weak link in the team.
    Can -Ship it ,great buy
    Mario -A stinker
    Lambert -Ok,Probably has done what we expected him to do when we bought him paid the going rate for loyal hardworking Plan C
    Moreno -Good ,looks a fine buy and with time will settle more into the Premiership and I think has a higher ceiling than we have seen

Personally with Lucas out for a month I would be looking to put Toure in instead of Can (I have him a better option than Lovren ,but Lovren does not turn it around if he never plays again) and move Can in beside Henderson .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I hope were not going back to the 'were gonna score more than you' type of team.

My stress levels couldnt take it!

my take on the summer signings.
    I love them all!
    All have shown great character!
    They have shown they are all billy big balls!
    11/10 success they lot!
    Not worth what we paid, they're worth a million times that!
    Instrumental in every single iota of good play we've had and oh my, what a wonderful season we are having under the Great and Powerful Rodgers!
    Anyone who disagrees is very sad, delusional and a stook!
    Everything is awesome!!
    I love Rodgers! Woo Hoo!
    I'm a big gloater!
    We are Liverpool, Tra la la la! Ad infinitum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Your entire post about Alan was the very definition of hyperbole.

In what way do you not understand this? I wish you would read the definition of the word and then read the post quoting Alan again so you can avoid a senseless slangng match because I correctly described your post.

You were being utterly deliberate in your exaggerations of his position - it wasn't really a typical post.

EDIT: The team was crap before Xmas! Not much disagreement there!

Well the last paragraph was tongue in cheek, please tell me you got that. :p
    Apart from that the only part of the post that is even up for debate as hyperbolic would be the great potential of the players. Other than that all the post says is that we are using a new system, which is 100% true, and that we have been without the two most productive players in the league last season for almost all of this season, which is also 100% true. I'm sorry but you will have to point out the hyperbolic parts. :confused:

P.S. to say we were utter crap before xmas is exactly the type of hyperbole that everyone in this thread uses daily and get away with, it's akin to saying Balotelli is ****, when actualy he is not, he is easily one of the very best few 100 footballers on the planet right now, out of 7 billion people on this planet he is one of the best few 100 and people call him crap and get away with it. Unless the statement is qualified for by saying something like he is crap compared to other unbelievably good footballers it is hyperbole, would you not agree?

EDIT: something is this life are black and white, such as the meaning of hyperbole: exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

That is exactly what your statement saying we were utter crap is, without being qualified by anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

On Markovic.

He has a very good game aginst Sunderland ONE MONTH AGO.

He looked poor when opportunities came his way before that. Its amzing how months of being ineffective/poor can all be forgotten by being decent for a month.

I don't mean that as a critcisim of the player as such - I just hate to see people so desperate to justify a heavy price tag that they will jump all over microcosms within a season to do so.
    Markovic has been poor the last few games, last night included. He looks like a 17 yo playing against men but hopefully putting on a few kgs and being more settled next year will bring him on more.
    Thats alot of hyperbole in one post.
    Now that's just exaggeration...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

My Take on Summer signings

Lovren -A stinker ,could turn it around but so far a stinker
    Lalana -OK ,Has looked promising but Manager clearly does not trust him yet and we over paid
    Manquilo -poor,Who really knows though ,Manager clearly does not trust him
    Markovic - OK ,Is being played out of postion has shown flashes but still think as rwb he is the weak link in the team.
    Can -Ship it ,great buy
    Mario -A stinker
    Lambert -Ok,Probably has done what we expected him to do when we bought him paid the going rate for loyal hardworking Plan C
    Moreno -Good ,looks a fine buy and with time will settle more into the Premiership and I think has a higher ceiling than we have seen

I agree with that except I wouldn't be as positive on Moreno, I still think the jury is out on the guy - he gets forward alright but his delivery so far has been poor.

Our current 3-4-2-1 system doesn't really suit an attacking four of ibe/coutinho/sterling and sturridge which is a shame as their combination of pace and movement would be incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Anyone a bit underwhelmed by Moreno? Hasnt done much wrong but hasnt really risen above average either. His final ball when he gets into good positions is pretty poor so far as well. Playing ok, but not a stand out by any means.

• Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

mormank wrote: »
    Everything in this world is not black and white. Some things need to be looked at in context, like our position of 7th in the table for example. After the start we had to this season 7th right now is a good accomplishment.

To put it in an even greater context - compare how it relates to those around us. For example, this number of games in, 2 seasons ago we were in 7th.. does that mean we were having a similar season? No because we were 9th points off the pace for 4th spot.. this season we're 3 points off 3rd, are the in-form team and teams are going to fear us again! Not just as simple as saying, we're in 7th, we must still suck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Are we not allowed to post gifs anymore?

I posted two last night, one of Migs save and the other of Sakho's rugby tackle, but I don't see them now. Must have been deleted? Annoying when there's no explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Anyone a bit underwhelmed by Moreno? Hasnt done much wrong but hasnt really risen above average either. His final ball when he gets into good positions is pretty poor so far as well. Playing ok, but not a stand out by any means.

Another flop 20 year old! Will we never learn?! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Knex. wrote: »

I posted two last night, one of Migs save and the other of Sakho's rugby tackle, but I don't see them now. Must have been deleted? Annoying when there's no explanation.

Checking to see how many thanks you got....you're a right hangballlouie.

Turtyturd wrote: »

:pac:

Posted them right beside the Can/Henderson video which is where the thread opened for me today. Was easy to spot!

But seriously, are we not?

You can only post gifs of the greatest league in the world in your mind now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Nerdlingr wrote: »

Not underwhelmed at all. You watch him yesterday, he crops up in support of the attack very well. He has a couple of goals and been involved in the build up of a few more. He's only 20, in a new country, and can run all day.

Not sure what else we'd expect of a new left back...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

donfers wrote: »
    I agree with that except I wouldn't be as positive on Moreno, I still think the jury is out on the guy - he gets forward alright but his delivery so far has been poor.

Our current 3-4-2-1 system doesn't really suit an attacking four of ibe/coutinho/sterling and sturridge which is a shame as their combination of pace and movement would be incredible.

I do think a 4-2-3-1 formation would be a possible system change

Mignolet
    Johnson/Flanagan Skrtel/Toure Sakho/Lovren Moreno/Manquillo
    Can/Lucas Henderson/Allen
    Ibe/Lallana Coutinho/Gerrard Sterling/Markovic
    Sturridge/Balotelli

Improve striker options and defence/goalkeeper be a priority

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    You can only post gifs of the greatest league in the world in your mind now.

That sucks. I hate my mind :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

First they came for streams
    then vines and gifs
    next up any football related talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

What about Flanagan and Enrique? Are they out injured this weather? And Manquillo, is he still in the mix?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Dickerty wrote: »
    Not underwhelmed at all. You watch him yesterday, he crops up in support of the attack very well. He has a couple of goals and been involved in the build up of a few more. He's only 20, in a new country, and can run all day.

Not sure what else we'd expect of a new left back...

And he doesn't run around in circles like Enrique to get the ball onto his left foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

What about Flanagan and Enrique? Are they out injured this weather? And Manquillo, is he still in the mix?

Dont know what the story is with Flanno seemed to be on the mend a few weeks back. Enrique is just a balloon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Flanno has been injured all season, enrique is essentially gone already imo and manquillo does not seem to suit the formation, he seemed tidy enough at rb in a back 4.

Surprised some people are not sold on moreno yet, think he's an awesome little player myself. We've finally found a first team lb for years to come at last, last decent one was aurellio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Shoot your thanks all over my face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Delighted for young Mario.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

Be interesting to see what game in Italy Rodgers has gone to see if Tony Barrett is to be believed. Could be wrong but cant remember him being seen at many games in his time here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Delighted for young Mario.

The team reaction looked good as well, not just the significance of the goal but they seemed chuffed for him.

Maybe this could be our Fulham game from last season? The Bolton game and last night will be great for the confidence and morale.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

ManOnFire wrote: »
    Be interesting to see what game in Italy Rodgers has gone to see if Tony Barrett is to be believed. Could be wrong but cant remember him being seen at many games in his time here

Was wondering where he was as he didn't do the post match presser last night Pascoe did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Parma vs Chievo is the only game tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

There is only one game in Italy tonight Parma vs Chievo & both teams don't have any players I think we would be in for.
    I think he is more likely to look at Barca vs Villarreal to maybe have a look at Vietto.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yes I have. Away at Leicester and AFC Wimbledon and at home to Basle he was our best player each time imo to name three games off the top of my head. So I simply don't agree with the assertion in the second paragraph. His set piece delivery is also the best thing we've got and something we'll miss terribly.

Last night's performance simply did not warrant criticism. He's not what he used to be, and no one would claim he dominated. But he was a 6.5 out of 10. Which is fine. That isn't losing anyone any games. Sure, other players have to win it, but he hung in the middle and did a ****ing job against a technically adept and agile Spurs attack. He also put away a clutch penalty. Yeah it's only a penalty - but someone needs to stick them away.

In my view people are waiting to criticise, looking for excuses to criticise - and rubbing their squirrely little palms in glee anytime he isn't brilliant so that they can focus on things he is doing badly or not doing.

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Gerrard's set piece delivery is not the best thing we've got, not even by a long stretch.

He hasn't turned into a bad player over night but we are playing a style of football now which demands more pace. Take 5 years off him and we would have won the league last year, absolutely no doubt in my mind in that and we should respect everything he has ever done. Unfortunatley in this team, he doesnt have a role that suits his current game. Can and Henderson are better suited athletically to play in a mf role which demands they are extremely mobile with and without the ball. Gerrards instincts are explosive, but he hasnt got the pace and muscle to do what he used to do. Coutinho is playing so well over the last few months that he has become the lynchpin of the team, we're committing to him in a big way and i think that's intelligent. Perhaps we might have experimented with Gerrard as a Can type CB in one of the cup games if he was going to stick around but in truth we need to find a way to rebuild Lovren's confidence as there is a player in there.

Set pieces aren't a big enough reason to keep him in the team, neither is sentimentality. We need to learn from the master of cold hard rationality, Ferguson. When you were done at Utd, you were done.

He's gone at the end of the season, we need to have the balls to understand that the team functions better without him right now, regardless of his free kick ability.

For me, Can and Henderson til the end of the season, Coutinho in front.

Also, why on earth are people talking about changing the formation when we've finally found one which works. Right now we're the form team (in terms of consecutive games won) in the Premiership. Let's keep doing what we're doing, with the right components.

Let's give Gerrard the biggest send off the club has ever seen at the end of the season, but for the rest of the games he is a player to be judged on merit against his peers. Can and Henderson have edged in front of him on performances in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Another flop 20 year old! Will we never learn?! :p

Who called him a flop? And he's 22. Get it right. :)

So The Rigger is now The Rodgers.

I count that as another win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Just noticed that Besiktas have moved stadium since we played them in 2007 and the game will be in the Ataturk Stadium (aka 2005 CL Final.....)

This is gonna get confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

If we stick with this formation Milner would be ideal as the rwb. Didn't see last night's game but was impressed with Ibe when he played there against Everton how did he get on last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Only as long as he doesn't cause another Torresistheman...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

mig was my man of the match...switching can and bringing on lovren changed the flow in our favour I thought..albeit coz of injury.... superb run we are on...credit to the manager and players..... but Stevie offers nowt anymore ...

Stevie offers "special Teams" kicks... Penos and free's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

8-10 wrote: »
    Just noticed that Besiktas have moved stadium since we played them in 2007 and the game will be in the Ataturk Stadium (aka 2005 CL Final.....)

you must have missed the going back to relive that night stuff when we drew them
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2874458/Europa-League-draw-Liverpool-face-Besiktas-Tottenham-Fiorentina-Everton-play-Young-Boys-32.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Hello Knex
    This is gonna get confusing.

Briefly considered I Heart Glenjo in order to take one for the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,104 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Emre Can.

my contribution for today.

Hello Knex

Briefly considered I hear Glenjo in order to take one for the team.

Still think Chandsome bastard was the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Thought Spurs won the midfield battle hands down and they played very well over all. Great determination shown from Liverpool and dug out a win while not playing particularly well. Coutinho could do with a rest i'd say but not sure it can be afforded right now, maybe go with Lallana in the cup instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Have to agree with Lloyd! :eek: I do think Gerrard comes in for criticism because it's just the in thing atm. It isn't as if he is Johnson bad.

It's the same problem as last season, we have few options in midfield and the club, for whatever reason, didn't seem to bother trying to address it.

Gerrard suits the high pace game with Sturridge and Sterling. He's not ideal but beats Joe Allen.

His distribution can be good on his day, though Henderson has come on in that regard too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

If we stick with this formation Milner would be ideal as the rwb. Didn't see last night's game but was impressed with Ibe when he played there against Everton how did he get on last night.

Ibe was excellent. He roasted Danny Rose in the first half a few times. In the second half they doubled up on him but he still managed to contribute to the winning goal. If he keeps playing like that we've a real player on our hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Vanolder wrote: »
    Thought Spurs won the midfield battle hands down and they played very well over all. Great determination shown from Liverpool and dug out a win while not playing particularly well. Coutinho could do with a rest i'd say but not sure it can be afforded right now, maybe go with Lallana in the cup instead?

I'd actually play Marko there, it's his preferred position. He's starting to show good link-up with other attackers, it can only improve with more games in that role...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement