Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Im sorry but that's bollox, Gerrard is criticised because he deserves to be not because its the thing. I swear some people not just on here can't bring themselves to criticise him, its like he's immune to it because he carried Liverpool for so long. I've been told a couple of times this season that "im not a real fan and I don't respect a legend" because I said he isn't good enough anymore.

The midfield battle was easily won by Spurs last night because Gerrard cant play in the MF role, which stifles Henderson and leaves Coutinho isolated. Lloyd gave him a 6.5 out of 10, I mean if he wasn't Gerrard what would you give a player who put in the same level of performance?

All our joy came down the left and right last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

rob316 wrote: »
    Im sorry but that's bollox, Gerrard is criticised because he deserves to be not because its the thing. I swear some people not just on here can't bring themselves to criticise him, its like he's immune to it because he carried Liverpool for so long. I've been told a couple of times this season that "im not a real fan and I don't respect a legend" because I said he isn't good enough anymore.

The midfield battle was easily won by Spurs last night because Gerrard cant play in the MF role, which stifles Henderson and leaves Coutinho isolated. Lloyd gave him a 6.5 out of 10, I mean if he wasn't Gerrard what would you give a player who put in the same level of performance?

Some peno though !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Rega wrote: »
    Ibe was excellent. He roasted Danny Rose in the first half a few times. In the second half they doubled up on him but he still managed to contribute to the winning goal. If he keeps playing like that we've a real player on our hands.

Having seen a lot of him at underage and tried to catch highlights from his Derby games, it's not too surprising. He's quick, two good feet, and very positive. But you could say the same about so many nearly-men of English youth teams.

The trick is for him to keep doing his job defensively, use the ball smartly, and contribute to goals. If he does that, why would we drop him??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I think gerrard has deserved a fair bit of the criticism. For me, my anger/frustration isnt toward gerrard personally, its not his fault for getting old and slow. However, i cant stand the way he seems to decide every now and then hes gonna take a game by the scruff and starts forcing the issue with wayward 40 yard passes and long range shots, often in situations where were trailing and need composed, experienced heads to dictate the play for us. I feel for gerrard, he used to be able to dominate a game on his own, he seems to be incapable of accepting the fact he cant do this anymore. A wonderful player in his time, no doubt about that, but not one that ages particularly well. His brilliance was based on pure desire, athleticism and raw talent. Its the more intelligent players that tend to age well and unfortunately gerrards football brain was never his forte. Even in his prime managers such as benitez didnt seem willing to trust him in central midfield, i dont think he has the tactical discipline, positional sense or game smarts to control a game from the middle.

Im a big fan of rodgers, but the way hes handled gerrard this season has bugged me. It seems as though hes afraid to admit hes dropping him because he isnt deserving of a place in our first 11. We look like a better team when gerrard isnt playing, but every time hes out its because he needs a rest or he has a niggle. Its never because the 11 players playing are our best 11. Its understandable in a way, but a concern none the less, rodgers seems to be afraid of the back lash if he were to drop gerrard.

Hypothetical scenario; fa cup final, liverpool v man utd and our entire squad is fully fit, how many people would start gerrard? And if so, where? Personally id have him on the bench as I believe our best 11 is mig,can skrtel sakho,rwb* lucas henderson moreno, coutinho sterling, sturridge. However, I think there is literally a 0% chance that rodgers would leave gerrard out of his starting 11 in such a scenario, which is part of the reason im glad gerrard is leaving. It's disappointing rodgers cant/wont make the big call.

*rwb is undecided for me but it certainly isnt gerrard, nor is it henderson with gerrard in the centre. On current form id choose ibe, but markovic and lallana could also be options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

rarnes1 wrote: »

So its not just us then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Apart from those scoring games in early Jan, he's been a complete wash-out during our best run of the season. He's getting picked off by opponents, not creating chances, not hitting his frees or corners. So legend or now, he's not playing well enough. Only Lucas' absence and Allen's meh-ness are saving him from a long spell on the bench...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Rega wrote: »
    Ibe was excellent. He roasted Danny Rose in the first half a few times. In the second half they doubled up on him but he still managed to contribute to the winning goal. If he keeps playing like that we've a real player on our hands.

It's mad how Ibe looks more accomplished than Markovic at the minute, especially when Markovic has CL and International experience under his belt.

Markovic will improve with time though imo and has done okay so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Knex. wrote: »
    I loved the one-

Any match pics of Emre Can, they're for a friend...

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

My granny looks more acompolished than young Markovic. Waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well I've criticised Gerrard plenty, even though he was very good for the second half of last season we shouldn't have been in the position of relying on him so much for the last 3 seasons.

Another failing of the clubs transfer strategy and isn't as if budgetary concerns were a big issue last Summer.

Since Alonso and Masch went we bought Adam, Allen and Henderson for CM, Can long term. Not good enough, nearly Fergie levels of oversight.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Anyone remember Sebastian Leto? One of Rafa's less successful signings ?

He made his way back to Argentine football, had joined Lanus and was training for the new season (March to December here). Unfortunately he had an accident in the gym, seems to have been in the gym lifting weights when he dropped one of the bars on his head and fractured his cranium.

Talk about bad luck, has to go down as one of the weirdest injuries for a player. Apparently he'll need an op, no serious injury and will be back in 4 months for Lanus.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The team being built around Gerrard was the problem, not Gerrard as such.
    The guy still has some excellent qualities, while some of them are disappearing fast such as pace and power. Inclusion of Gerrard while has its merits also has it's flaws for example Henderson being pushed out to wing back earlier in the year, Lucas being dropped.
    Rodgers seems to be managing this aspect much better now, but should start using Gerrard as impact sub rather then starter. He can still influence a game, probably better suited to a 30 minute rather than 60 minute shift.
    Although, when a sub is brought on, I preferably want to see someone fast and fresh that can expoit tiredness of opposition. Gerrard should be able to make up for that in his drive and passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Are you albanian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

But can your Granny do this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Knex. wrote: »

Those tweets confirm that the match thread saps are a representative sample of Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

K-9 wrote: »
    Have to agree with Lloyd! :eek: I do think Gerrard comes in for criticism because it's just the in thing atm. It isn't as if he is Johnson bad.

It's not like he's actively stinking the place out with bad passing, missing sitters or what have you.

He just doesn't do a whole lot. He's too easy to play around and he doesn't have the legs to make an impact on the front foot.

His passing range is great and all, but we need someone to do the simple job of linking the defence to the attack and breaking the press. We have Can and Hendo who can play it long anyway, so Gerrard doing it is redundant.

A 27 year old Gerrard in the front three would be a marvelous sight to behold but 34 year old Gerrard does not have a place in this system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Must admit I disagree with the 'Lallana is a waste of money / flop' narrative. 4 goals and 3 assists in 14 league starts is pretty decent for a midfielder. His quality and work ethic have impressed me. Not entirely sure if he gets into our best XI. However, a quality addition to our squad and someone who I think will contribute handsomely over the next few years

Gbear wrote: »
    It's not like he's actively stinking the place out with bad passing, missing sitters or what have you.

He just doesn't do a whole lot. He's too easy to play around and he doesn't have the legs to make an impact on the front foot.

His passing range is great and all, but we need someone to do the simple job of linking the defence to the attack and breaking the press. We have Can and Hendo who can play it long anyway, so Gerrard doing it is redundant.

A 27 year old Gerrard in the front three would be a marvelous sight to behold but 34 year old Gerrard does not have a place in this system.

I think part of the Gerrard back lash is due to the incessant and uncritical Gerrard hero worship he gets in the press. The Mirror gave him 8/10 last night. They gave Can 6/10 IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Yeah I agree with Praf, I think Lallana was good a addition to the squad and I'd like to see him get a good run of games. When the Europa starts up, I hope Rodgers uses the squad and gives the likes Lallana, Loven, Mario and Balotelli some much needed game time.

I noticed this on twitter and I had forgot all about it. Its titled Balotelli pull off awesome robona, but I'm not too sure I agree.

• Advertisement

PRAF wrote: »
    I think part of the Gerrard back lash is due to the incessant and uncritical Gerrard hero worship he gets in the press. The Mirror gave him 8/10 last night. They gave Can 6/10 IIRC.

Bit harsh on people who can clearly see his faults.

Must admit I disagree with the 'Lallana is a waste of money / flop' narrative. 4 goals and 3 assists in 14 league starts is pretty decent for a midfielder. His quality and work ethic have impressed me. Not entirely sure if he gets into our best XI. However, a quality addition to our squad and someone who I think will contribute handsomely over the next few years

Aye fully agree, gives us strength in depth something we have been crying out for. If he could contribute 10 goals and a few assists for the next 4 seasons it would be money well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Bit harsh on people who can clearly see his faults.

Absolutely. Our midfield was AWOL on several occasions last night. It is a case of spare the rod and spoil the Henderson though, who's been pretty poor of late also.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    But can your Granny do this:

If she had as many minutes as Lazer, I have no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Purely a confidence thing with Markovic i think, ability is obviously there. Still adapting too remember. Thought him and Ibe linked pretty well in the first half.

And for all the stick Gerrard is getting, I thought Henderson was probably worse than him last night and has been pretty poor all season. Why is he captain even?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Gbear wrote: »

That, unfortunately is the truth. Stevie doesn't have the legs for what Rodgers needs in midfield. The pressing game last night is what requires of his players, and Stevie is unable to do that, while Balotelli is unwilling to do so.

Aye fully agree, gives us strength in depth something we have been crying out for. If he could contribute 10 goals and a few assists for the next 4 seasons it would be money well spent.

Actually, the goals/assists/starts from midfielders is not too bad. Lallana, Hendo, Coutinho, and Gerrard all with a fairly healthy return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

bur wrote: »
    Purely a confidence thing with Markovic i think, ability is obviously there. Still adapting too remember. Thought him and Ibe linked pretty well in the first half.

And for all the stick Gerrard is getting, I thought Henderson was probably worse than him last night and has been pretty poor all season. Why is he captain even?

Henderson rarely if ever plays well with gerrard beside him in fairness, nothing new there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Once we have a settled midfield, I think Lallana will more than prove is worth. It's just been a bugger that he's picked up injury just as he appears to be flying. Hope he stay injury free now.

• Advertisement

bur wrote: »

Respectfully disagree. I think losing Hendo for the last few games of the season cost us last years title. His energy, pressing, and engine are vital for us. He is technically very good (you should see him doing the crossbar challenge!) and his goals/assists return is very good for an out and out CM (2 goals and 6 assists I think). More importantly, his leadership skills are really beginning to show this year. A top player. Perhaps even a top, top player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

I love how the commentator last night thought Lallana somehow transformed into Can mid-run.

"Lallana.....now Can!" Ehm I think you'll find it was Can the whole time.

I'd morph into Can if I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Oddly I was full sure that was Lallana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

for the money paid he has been a flop so far. he is after all the second most expensive signing in liverpool history, costing more than torres or suarez. for that kind of most you expect more than a squad player. outside the game against swansea he really hasn't looked anything like a 25m player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

rossie1977 wrote: »
    for the money paid he has been a flop so far. he is after all the second most expensive signing in liverpool history, costing more than torres or suarez. for that kind of most you expect more than a squad player. outside the game against swansea he really hasn't looked anything like a 25m player

Can't compare prices across years like that to be fair. But agreed he's not been worth the money so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

8-10 wrote: »
    Can't compare prices across years like that to be fair. But agreed he's not been worth the money so far.

It's not fair to try & make out exact comparison, but it's worth noting.

There is no way on gods green earth that if we spent that amount of money on a player the intention was anything other than him being a starter & absolute key player for us.

Yep.. said that weeks back, have no issue with him. Good signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

None of the players we bought in the summer are bad players.

We overpaid for most of them and when they don't live up to those price tags they will come in for stick.

Can looks like a huge Bargain and If people said we paid the £25m for him instead of Lallana most would say it was money well spent.

Look at Chelsea, look at Man City, look at Man United. Why cant we have a £25m player sitting on the bench like them?

They have players to that value that don't play every game and come in like Lallana and create a winning a goal like last night.

No player should be assured of a starting place because of there price tag, other players step up, that what creates competition and that's what gives strength in depth.

I would have loved to have someone like Lallana in the squad last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Look at Chelsea, look at Man City, look at Man United. Why cant we have a £25m player sitting on the bench like them?

They have players to that value that don't play every game and come in like Lallana and create a winning a goal like last night.

No player should be assured of a starting place because of there price tag, other players step up, that what creates competition and that's what gives strength in depth.

Lallana is better than players that are starting for yis like Coutinho, not sure why he isn't getting a proper go at it, but managers in the PL all have their quirky picks I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Because we don't have the budget that United etc have. Of course the same people who say we need more from a signing of that cost also think we should easily be competing with those teams on the field... You can't really have it both ways. If you think we can't spend those sums on players who might not be stars for us then you can't expect us to be cruising to top 4 against teams that can spend 40+m on a player no problem.

Lallana was over priced but Is clearly a very good player and a big part of why we won last night. Was great to have a real impact sub. And that was with sterling not even in the squad. We're only a few players away from a well rounded outfit. Hopefully next summers signings are more Cans than Aspas. Buy German! Reliability is bred into them!!

Liam O wrote: »
    Lallana is better than players that are starting for yis like Coutinho, not sure why he isn't getting a proper go at it, but managers in the PL all have their quirky picks I guess.

He's not remotely better than Coutinho. Coutinho could in time be one of the top 5 players in the league. His control in tight spaces is up there with silva. He needs to improve the end product tho. But that's also down to the strikers making better runs.

None of the players we bought in the summer are bad players.

We overpaid for most of them and when they don't live up to those price tags they will come in for stick.

Can looks like a huge Bargain and If people said we paid the £25m for him instead of Lallana most would say it was money well spent.

Are you inferring it's alright that we spunked £25m on Lallana because Can appears to be decent value?

I don't see the connection. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    He's not remotely better than Coutinho. Coutinho could in time be one of the top 5 players in the league. His control in tight spaces is up there with silva. He needs to improve the end product tho. But that's also down to the strikers making better runs.

Coutinho is one of the most overhyped players in the league. Rarely does he step up and make a telling difference in a game in the way Lallana was doing a lot last season. Maybe that has changed in recent weeks when I haven't seen much of Liverpool but even earlier in the season Lallana looked much better than his competitors in his position and would inexplicably get substituted or moved around.

If we keep spunking £25m on players like Lallana, we certainly chan continue to have £25m pound players on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Coutinho is one of the most overhyped players in the league. Rarely does he step up and make a telling difference in a game in the way Lallana was doing a lot last season. Maybe that has changed in recent weeks when I haven't seen much of Liverpool but even earlier in the season Lallana looked much better than his competitors in his position and would inexplicably get substituted or moved around.

For reals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Looks like you picked the wrong time to stop watching Liverpool, he was the standout player against West Ham for example. but it should be noted Everton and Spurs have seen him dilly-dally on the ball and invite easy tackles/cheap turnover. Its something he needs to pay attention to - he won't get the free every time.

Classic.

Tbh last season I would have agreed with you to a degree. He was super inconsistent at times but he shone after January and again this season has followed a similar vein. But he has a very high ceiling and he's young. Like all going players consistency is something that only comes with time.

I'm sure you remember Ronaldos first few seasons at United were consistency was a big issue for him. But the quality behind it was always there. While not bear Ronaldos level (obv) coutinho has the talent to be a dominant player.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Liverpools best player the last few months, also got Liverpools POTM for last month i believe.
    Your talking porkies.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement