Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

rob316 wrote: »
    Southampton starting to drop a bit so its a good time to play them.

Southampton are third in the 'Form table' that was posted last night. Theyve lost once in their last six gamse. Gonna be very tough away from home against them.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

After Tuesday I am seriously confident we can finish in the Top 4 possibly 3rd even. Of all the contenders for Top 4 we are the most on form, beat Southampton next and we are really in it. Southampton starting to drop a bit so its a good time to play them.

I've been watching a lot of United lately while they are picking up the points they are poor. Despite us loosing a huge amount of away games, we still have more away points than them. After the next few games they have a very tough fixture list coming up which I expect them to drop many points.

3rd/4th is between United, Arsenal and us. Despite been a point behind Spurs I don't see them there. While we have a lot of games to play still I think we finally have a bit of strength in depth to cope.

Exciting times again boys :D

Confident we can or confident we will? We are still 5 points behind utd (6 effectively) and our upcoming fixtures are very tough as well. We could finish above them, but as you say they are still picking up points despite not playing well, and that includes wins over the likes of Southampton and Arsenal in that time. While I'd like to see them lose a few, they have more room to do so than we have.

I hope we can challenge in a meaningful way but one slip will put a huge dent in our hopes. If we were to lose to Southampton for example in our next league game then it would be very difficult to get back in the mix. It's great that we are still somehow in contention, but I'm not as confident as you seem to be that we will make it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

After Tuesday I am seriously confident we can finish in the Top 4 possibly 3rd even. Of all the contenders for Top 4 we are the most on form, beat Southampton next and we are really in it. Southampton starting to drop a bit so its a good time to play them.

I've been watching a lot of United lately while they are picking up the points they are poor. Despite us loosing a huge amount of away games, we still have more away points than them. After the next few games they have a very tough fixture list coming up which I expect them to drop many points.

3rd/4th is between United, Arsenal and us. Despite been a point behind Spurs I don't see them there. While we have a lot of games to play still I think we finally have a bit of strength in depth to cope.

That's the fcuking type of optimism I like to see around these parts :) go on Robbie ya boyya! Go on the boys! Up Liverpool! Up our position the table! Up my purchasing of Nivea products! Down the cans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

LOAN WATCH

L. Alberto Málaga - Not in squad
    J. Carlos Brighton - 86 minutes in draw away to Cardiff
    S. Ojo Wigan Ath - 54th min sub against Forest in 3-0 defeat (stats show made four key passes)
    D. Origi Lille - 70th minute sub in 2-1 win
    T. Ilori Bordeaux - full game in 1-0 away win (seems to be back in favour unless its an injury to No1 RCB)
    A. Wisdom West Bromwich - unused sub in 2-0 win
    S. Coates Sunderland - unused sub
    I. Aspas Sevilla - played first 55 mins in 2-1 defeat
    L. Jones Cheltenham 77th min sub in 3-1 defeat
    C. Randall Shrewsbury - unused sub in 2-1 win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

How I see the futures of the below panning out in the summer
    LOAN WATCH

L. Alberto Málaga - Not in squad (Worrying that he's not getting games of late. Will be loaned out again in the summer or sold for a minimal fee)
    J. Carlos Brighton - 86 minutes in draw away to Cardiff. (Starting to get more game time but same as above)
    S. Ojo Wigan Ath - 54th min sub against Forest in 3-0 defeat (So many wingers coming through, so little room! Destined for another loan next season)
    D. Origi Lille - 70th minute sub in 2-1 win (This is probably the most worrying one of late. Can't get a game in an awful team for the last month or 2. Yes he's only young but lets home he wasn't just a bit of hype)
    T. Ilori Bordeaux - full game in 1-0 away win, seems to be back in favour unless its an injury to No1 RCB (As mentioned, starting a lot more now but may be due to injury. I still have some hope for him but next season is a big one for him. If he doesn't perform well then he'll be sold on or loaned out before being sold the following season)
    A. Wisdom West Bromwich - unused sub in 2-0 win (Played badly against Spurs and has been dropped since. Good player and should break into the team at right back as soon as Johnson f**ks off)
    S. Coates Sunderland - unused sub (Gonner...)
    I. Aspas Sevilla - played first 55 mins in 2-1 defeat (Adding some value of late with a few goals and subsequently a few starts. Will be sold in summer for about 5 million I'd say)
    L. Jones Cheltenham 77th min sub in 3-1 defeat (Still very young but was hyped off a few seasons back and now can't make it on to league 2 Cheltenham. Another loan next season before being released or sold for a minimal fee.........unless he does a Jon Flanagan!)
    C. Randall Shrewsbury - unused sub in 2-1 win. (Who? No chance of breaking into the first team. Can see him being released)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

DVDM93 wrote: »
    That's the fcuking type of optimism I like to see around these parts :) go on Robbie ya boyya! Go on the boys! Up Liverpool! Up our position the table! Up my purchasing of Nivea products! Down the cans!

Exactly!

Reckon we are going through the gears still but importantly in the right direction. Sturridge to hit his stride yet and he will, new signings starting to gel and contribute and most important MARIO scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Coates and Alberto loans have been a huge waste, they start so few games.
    Teixeira, Aspas and Wisdom start more than they don't, and Ilori has been unlucky with injury.

Overall, Ibe and Wisdom's loans have probably been the only successful ones in development terms, and I think Aspas will get a permanent move on the back of a decent season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Southampton are third in the 'Form table' that was posted last night. Theyve lost once in their last six gamse. Gonna be very tough away from home against them.

Koeman admitted they are finding it tough to score goals recently. He's been found out lads.

Colemania wrote: »
    L. Jones Cheltenham 77th min sub in 3-1 defeat (Still very young but was hyped off a few seasons back and now can't make it on to league 2 Cheltenham. Another loan next season before being released or sold for a minimal fee.........unless he does a Jon Flanagan!)

I think he has potential, he's a big guy but he needs to work on his mobility.

Agree on most of the rest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

5starpool wrote: »
    Confident we can or confident we will? We are still 5 points behind utd (6 effectively) and our upcoming fixtures are very tough as well. We could finish above them, but as you say they are still picking up points despite not playing well, and that includes wins over the likes of Southampton and Arsenal in that time. While I'd like to see them lose a few, they have more room to do so than we have.

I hope we can challenge in a meaningful way but one slip will put a huge dent in our hopes. If we were to lose to Southampton for example in our next league game then it would be very difficult to get back in the mix. It's great that we are still somehow in contention, but I'm not as confident as you seem to be that we will make it.

This place is certainly a much different place to last week, when posters were getting strips ripped off them for their naive positivity, what a difference a week makes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Our best XI will start now atleast. Hopefully more game time for Lallana too.

Lucas out for a month so No to our best XI.
    The test will be what Brendan does ,if he moves to Allen I think we will struggle and start to concede goals again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

What's the latest on Flanagan? Anywhere near a return?
    Will he get offered a new deal to tide him past the summer?

The test will be what Brendan does ,if he moves to Allen I think we will struggle and start to concede goals again

Hopefully it will be Lovren at RCB (he deserves another chance) with Can alongside Hendo. That's a good defensive core to let Ibe, Moreno, Sterling, Coutinho and Sturridge do the attacking work...

Well the best we can select barring Lucas obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Dickerty wrote: »
    Hopefully it will be Lovren at RCB (he deserves another chance) with Can alongside Hendo. That's a good defensive core to let Ibe, Moreno, Sterling, Coutinho and Sturridge do the attacking work...

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Why?

Maybe he has shown better in training, maybe its better to encourage than crush a player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Why?
    When he was in the team nearly everyone was off form. He showed at Southampton he is a good CB. If he comes in & doesn't improve then it could be time to sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I think Can might be able to do a job beside Hendo but it is a much harder role than sitting in a back three. Long term I would still advocate a big money spend on a WC defensive midfield (probably a broken record going on about this now)

I can understand trying to rehabilitate Lovren by bringing him in but personally would look to Kolo as a bigger chance of success.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think Can might be able to do a job beside Hendo but it is a much harder role than sitting in a back three. Long term I would still advocate a big money spend on a WC defensive midfield (probably a broken record going on about this now)

I can understand trying to rehabilitate Lovren by bringing him in but personally would look to Kolo as a bigger chance of success.

Toure (and Johnson too) is out of contract in the summer. If we are not planning on offering a new deal then it makes more sense to play Lovren to see if he can show improved form on earlier displays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Why?

Why not?

B9pyGiBIUAA0vwK.png

gafferino wrote: »
    Why not?

Because of how he's played to date and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

5starpool wrote: »
    Toure (and Johnson too) is out of contract in the summer. If we are not planning on offering a new deal then it makes more sense to play Lovren to see if he can show improved form on earlier displays.

Why we wouldn't give Kolo a new deal is beyond me.

Hope that gets sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

noodler wrote: »

Hope that gets sorted.

I'd happily give Kolo a new contract just to have him around the squad and maybe bring him onto the coaching staff.

The guy is a winner

At a time when Can, Lallana and Sakho were also playing poorly, in fact the whole team were in a bad place.
    I think the ability he showed last few seasons are worth more than a few months in a new, struggling side...

Because he's almost 34, is probably our 5th choice CB, and on big wages...

Need a few more reasons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

B9pyGiBIUAA0vwK.png

Arsenal definitely have the better run, they need to mess up.

With Sanchez and Ramsey injured it could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Need a few more reasons?

We can offer him a new deal on lesser wages you know, or a pay as you play type contract.
    I'd have him around as back up for another year no problem.

• Advertisement

I'd keep Kolo too, top fella and would be happy to stay I'd say.

Yeah and players dont deserve a second chance?....and stuff.
    Mignolet has improved since early season and a others who were poor. You are prepared to consign him to the scrapheap so soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Need a few more reasons?

Lloyd's response works here.

No idea where you get 5th choice from either but he is bettered this season only by Can and Sakho as far as I am concerned.

I don't know what his wages are but christ, he has offered more per pound earned than the majoirty of the other centre-halves.

I don't know why I am justifying his performances - they have spoken for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

B9pyGiBIUAA0vwK.png

Can't see Southampton slipping up too much there, either.

Now you can be an optimist and argue that we have it entirely in our own hands as we have to play all the challenging teams, you could be like me, see at first glance that we have the hardest run in, and assume we're not getting fourth.

We'll be lucky to get 5th even, IMO. United's run in is similar to ours, but they have the luxury of 5 points on us. We'll be pulling off miracles to catch them.

Ask me again after Southampton, though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I don't know why I am justifying his performances - they have spoken for themselves.

Because you inadvertently backed up something that Lloyd said. You should know that what Lloyd and Alan say is automatically discounted, irrespective of whether it is factually correct or not.

On top of that, you have complete mongs who consistently troll by making throwaway comments about both posters (and others) allegiances just because they don't tow the company line - the post from Mike just now commenting on how BR has been nominated for MoM being the most recent example.

Unfortunately, this thread has become a joke. It is now devoid of any real critical analysis and there is a critical mass of posters who consistently attack the poster and ignore the post - this has been happening for a sustained period now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

B9pyGiBIUAA0vwK.png

Id be highlighting West Ham also along with the others.

They may be 4 points adrift but have taken points off Liverpool, City, Utd and Southampton.

UTD have trickier away games than us IMHO and they have struggled more than us away from home. Palace and Hull away in the last 3 games could be stinkers depending on their relative league positions for example.

We are half way through a crucial 4 game period and so far so good. Beating Southampton away is crucial as is beating UTD at home.

Compared to how we were its actually great to be only 3 points of 4th all things considering. If we can get lucky with injuries and avoid losing players like sturridge again i believe we will make top 4.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I don't know what it is about Allen but for some reason he reminds me of Peter Parker before he becomes Spider-Man. Kind, likeable, good-hearted and loves his granny but shy, quiet, timid and far too easily bullied when it comes down to it. Not exactly what I'd want protecting our defence in place of Lex Lucas Luther Leiva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

If you are confident in us getting 3/4 because of form why do you completely overlook Southampton for top 4 when they are also in good form? Why overlook Spurs who are also in good form? Writing them off with them currently above us is short sighted in the least.

The run we have been on has been great, but have we really seen enough to be confident of a top 3/4. I really dont see it. I'm all for positivity but talk of finishing top 3 seems crazy to me. Its looking good, but confident I certainly am not.

Some fans really let their hearts rule their heads.

NukaCola wrote: »
    If you are confident in us getting 3/4 because of form why do you completely overlook Southampton for top 4 when they are also in good form? Why overlook Spurs who are also in good form? Writing them off with them currently above us is short sighted in the least.

The run we have been on has been great, but have we really seen enough to be confident of a top 3/4. I really dont see it. I'm all for positivity but talk of finishing top 3 seems crazy to me. Its looking good, but confident I certainly am not.

The club are 5 points off 3rd. 4 away from 4th. In better form than anyone currently. It has to be the target. Wouldn't go as far as saying I'd be confident as some other teams do have a small points advantage over us but neither can it be written off. Means we can't afford to lose to our rivals for top 4 and that started with Spurs the last night and Southampton next week. In fact we probably have to win most of those games until the end of the season.

I think the big fear is once the Europa League games kick in again our league form may suffer a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Damm he looks #awkward with that paintbrush he is going to leave streaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

looks clumsy in that pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

NukaCola wrote: »

Southampton's form has dipped lately.

Beaten at home by Palace and Swansea and drew with West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

djPSB wrote: »
    Southampton's form has dipped lately.

Beaten at home by Palace and Swansea and drew with West Ham.

Last 6 Southampton games. W4 D1 L1......

Foot like a putter
    He's has a foot like a putter
    Foot like a putter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Because you inadvertently backed up something that Lloyd said. You should know that what Lloyd and Alan say is automatically discounted, irrespective of whether it is factually correct or not.

On top of that, you have complete mongs who consistently troll by making throwaway comments about both posters (and others) allegiances just because they don't tow the company line - the post from Mike just now commenting on how BR has been nominated for MoM being the most recent example.

Unfortunately, this thread has become a joke. It is now devoid of any real critical analysis and there is a critical mass of posters who consistently attack the poster and ignore the post - this has been happening for a sustained period now.

Or people get tired of reading what the perceive of consistently negative posts and the inability to give the manager much credit when things go right. Its not about towing the company line, pretty much every poster on here has been critical of the manager and the club at times this season but they're also prepared to give credit when due.

The recent post about no giving Lovern another shot because he played poorly, a lot of our players played poorly. Lucas looked completely DONE at the start of the year. Should he not have gotten a shot? What about Mignolet? And Sakho?

Also the posters in question continue to post here so they're prob fairly ok with the responses they get. Better to be talked about than ignored i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

asdfgh86 wrote: »
    I love how the commentator last night thought Lallana somehow transformed into Can mid-run.

"Lallana.....now Can!" Ehm I think you'll find it was Can the whole time.

Good run by Lallana, poor ball by Can

259C3F2600000578-0-image-a-164_1423759504322.jpg

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Or people get tired of reading what the perceive of consistently negative posts and the inability to give the manager much credit when things go right. Its not about towing the company line, pretty much every poster on here has been critical of the manager and the club at times this season but they're also prepared to give credit when due.

The recent post about no giving Lovern another shot because he played poorly, a lot of our players played poorly. Lucas looked completely DONE at the start of the year. Should he not have gotten a shot? What about Mignolet? And Sakho?

Also the posters in question continue to post here so they're prob fairly ok with the responses they get. Better to be talked about than ignored i guess.

Lucas has just a little bit more good history to him than Lovren.

Sakho was never as bad as Lovren.

Mignolet has no competition.

Not wanting to play Lovren because we have Toure in the event we move Can to the middle is a perfectly reasonable contention.

I continue to post here because I've been here longer than most and will be here after many have closed their accounts / been banned / stomped off in a huff. If I didn't have a thick skin at this stage I'd never acquire one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Lucas has just a little bit more good history to him than Lovren.

Sakho was never as bad as Lovren.

Mignolet has no competition.

Not wanting to play Lovren because we have Toure in the event we move Can to the middle is a perfectly reasonable contention.

It's irrelevant that Mig has no competition.

He came back into the team and been excellent since he returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement