Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Wow so he is really leaving at the end of the season...

BBC online

Steven Gerrard: Liverpool captain to leave at end of season

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard will leave the club when his contract expires at the end of the season.
    The 34-year-old became free to sign a pre-contract agreement with an overseas club on Thursday.
    More to follow.

Jeez Gerrard gone out in style.

Imagine if we'd lost.

Turbulent Thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

So his last act in the Champions League was a stunning free kick and nearly single-handedly dragging us through but not quite managing it while other players stand and watch. Seems kind of fitting to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I was thinking that if Gerrard wanted to keep playing top flight that he would follow Giggs example and sleep with his sister in law, no wait I mean be happy to play from the bench until he's 38. :)

Looks though that he still sees himself worthy of a starting role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Its a pity you didn't break the news before the L.A rumors that surfaced on twitter, reached this thread.

I suppose its still handy to have a ITK knocking about, even if its a few minutes late.

I bet his ITK is Kerrigooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

The owners better produce the big ****ing bucks in the summer to get a top class replacement for Gerrard, wont be expecting it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just off the phone with my ITK...don't be surprised to see 'The Doughboy' crack up and close his account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

If true the most telling thing about this is the fact Gerrard has taken the decision out of Rodgers' hands, that Rodgers couldn't make the call himself.

Gerrard should be used as little as possible now. He's yesterday's man we move on just like we did after Keegan, Rush, Souness, The king et al

Thanks for everything Stevie ...will never forget that moment in 2006, I almost dropped my then 2 month old when you banged in that equaliser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He'll be missed.

Stevie, I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I don't agree with Gerrard has been mismanaged. He is leaving because he feels he won't get as many games next season.
    If he had been rotated more the last few years he probably would already be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just heard the news. The club will lose an absolute icon, a legend even, but this was a move he simply HAD to make, to protect his Liverpool legacy, as it was in danger of being ruined. Hopefully we'll get a strong few months from him to close out his Liverpool career, and what better way to do it than see him lift the Europa League trophy and get us CL football again next season. Best of luck to him in the states.
    Y.N.W.A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Realistically who would be the ideal replacement for Gerrard ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

ricero wrote: »
    Realistically who would be the ideal replacement for Gerrard ?

Shaqiri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Kind of crazy that Jordan Henderson will be our captain next season. I would have him down as a future captain at some point but would think next season is a bit soon for him to be handed the captaincy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gerrard, Johnson, Flanagan, Suso & Toure all free to talk with clubs today.

• Advertisement

ManOnFire wrote: »
    The owners better produce the big ****ing bucks in the summer to get a top class replacement for Gerrard, wont be expecting it though!

To be fair they haven't been shy with the spends to date and they are fans of netspend. His wages alone over 5 years is serious cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Dont clubs still have to pay a small fee for u23 players or something like that?

It will be interesting to see how Rodgers does in the Europa League.

His record to date in Europe with us is quite poor. We scraped by Hearts to get to the group stages then we finished top in a group of three teams on 10 points by scoring 1 more goal than Young Boys.
    We got knocked out in the next round.

Our performance in the CL this year was terrible. It really was indefensible.

If he can't make an impact in the Europa League this year and by that I mean quarter finals minimum then I can't see him being the manager to lead us forward.

What's the point in pushing for a European spot in the league if you can't perform when you qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

Not all bad news then!!

Only man that could come close to replacing him is Pogba, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

If Toure and Lucas were to leave too there'd be a serious lack of older heads around, probably looking at Hendo as skipper and Skrtel as most experienced/longest serving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Au Revoir Le cocksuckers.

I wish him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Last year ****ed him IMO.

Stevie I mean.

klose wrote: »
    Dont clubs still have to pay a small fee for u23 players or something like that?

I think so but not 100% if its still used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This day was always coming but I'm still saddened to hear Stevie is leaving.
    Has had lots of critics here but his positive contributions far outweigh his negative ones and I find it even sadder now that he never lifted the Premiership trophy with us. Came so close last year and now he'll never do it and he didn't deserve that 'slip' incident that he will always be remembered for. :mad:
    In the long run it's better for the club to start preparing for life without him but I think he'll be back at the club in some capacity in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

martyos121 wrote: »
    Only man that could come close to replacing him is Pogba, IMO.

Fabregas would have been perfect but equally unlikely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That really was the perfect bon voyage post.

It's hard trying to post hard in the paint year in, year out. The option to open a new account with a cooler head is always there though...

So his last act in the Champions League was a stunning free kick and nearly single-handedly dragging us through but not quite managing it while other players stand and watch. Seems kind of fitting to be honest.

Yeah, it's hard to buy the 'good riddance Stevie' sentiment expressed by many on here given his contribution over the past 18 months. The manager utilising him incorrectly is not his fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

If Gerrard is at the press conference tomorrow I hope he brings a print out of Pilsley final post for when he gets asked stupid questions by Sky reporters

dogbert27 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how Rodgers does in the Europa League.

His record to date in Europe with us is quite poor. We scraped by Hearts to get to the group stages then we finished top in a group of three teams on 10 points by scoring 1 more goal than Young Boys.
    We got knocked out in the next round.

Our performance in the CL this year was terrible. It really was indefensible.

If he can't make an impact in the Europa League this year and by that I mean quarter finals minimum then I can't see him being the manager to lead us forward.

What's the point in pushing for a European spot in the league if you can't perform when you qualify.

100% agree with this post - European football is the ultimate test of a manager's tactical acumen imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

On MOTD now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

brevity wrote: »
    Last year ****ed him IMO.

Stevie I mean.

I was thinking that myself, it would've been hard to swallow losing out after getting so close but when you throw in the chelsea game on top of that, its probably best for himself to move on.

Its a shame though, the guy is a legend and arguably the best ever Liverpool player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

The Internet. A serious business.

The Internet. A serious business.

Wise words OR are they words to the wise??

As strange as it sounds, a lot of young midfielders like Odegaard and Tielemans, could look at this as an opportunity to fill the boots of one of the greatest midfielders of the last 20 years, and sign for the club.

Or they could look at us as a sinking ship, doomed for eternity. Who's to say which idea is more accurate?

The second one. The second one is more accurate.

It will be very intersting now to see if FSG offer Sterling the contract he wants now.

If they hold out and he say right I'm off!

When we talk about Gerrard's replacement are we talking about the 25 year old Steven Gerrard or the soon to be 35 year old Steven Gerrard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Lon.C

Gerrard off to the states in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Au Revoir Le C***suckers! What a line!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I wonder will Robbie give up the captaincy of the Galaxy and hand it Gerrard.

I'd be surprised tbh, by all accounts robbie has been a brilliant influence, better signing for mls than beckham or donovan according to some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Leave him on the bench now until the last game of the season for his goodbye, team has for more pace and balance without him as seen on Monday V Swansea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Just heard the news about Gerrard, a sad day for the club.

Then you look at today's team-sheet, Lucas - Gerrard, sigh.

When it comes to Stevie, BR bottled it. The club will/is suffering as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I'm hoping Gerrard gets a move to a club like Juve or PSG where he can play 25-30 games and finally get a league title. Probably wishful thinking but if managed correctly, he could offer a lot to a big club in another country for 12-18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Hate saying it but it's probably best for both the club and the player. Frees up a lot in wages for the club too and the current best 11 doesn't include him. Obviously I would love to see him playing from the bench like Lampard, but if he feels capable of getting more time in another league then fair enough. I'd rather see Gerrard play a few more years abroad than retire now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Energy isn't Gerrard's problem, its his tactical awareness and game intelligence. Its sacrosanct at this stage, but playing him DM is just asking for trouble. Someone needs to put together a compiliation of guys running off his shoulder in danger areas as he stands still ball watching.

The guy is a legend (as always needs to be clarified before being any way critical it seems). We did the same with Carra, he played probably 18 months beyond his sell by date on the back of his legend tag.

Its Liverpool FC not Steven Gerrard FC. Even during games its constant talk of being saved by Gerrard, how many times has he pulled it out of the fire etc.... its not 2005-2009 anymore.

Two of our best performances this season came at the Bernebau and also against Swansea at Anfield this week. Both games, other players stepped up to the plate in midfield. Runners were tracked from midfield and the defence was afforded adequate protection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭baldbear

I'm hoping Gerrard gets a move to a club like Juve or PSG where he can play 25-30 games and finally get a league title. Probably wishful thinking but if managed correctly, he could offer a lot to a big club in another country for 12-18 months.

Not in a millions years. Hes off to the states. He hasn't the legs for a top European team. The wife and family will enjoy the L.A lifestyle and our Robbie will give him the tour.

A legend and it's a sad day to see the end near for him but that's football.

Unfortunately he should have done that the day Hodgson was hired.

Love the guy for his loyalty though.

Energy isn't Gerrard's problem, its his tactical awareness and game intelligence. Its sacrosanct at this stage, but playing him DM is just asking for trouble. Someone needs to put together a compiliation of guys running off his shoulder in danger areas as he stands still ball watching.

The guy is a legend (as always needs to be clarified before being any way critical it seems). We did the same with Carra, he played probably 18 months beyond his sell by date on the back of his legend tag.

Its Liverpool FC not Steven Gerrard FC. Even during games its constant talk of being saved by Gerrard, how many times has he pulled it out of the fire etc.... its not 2005-2009 anymore.

Two of our best performances this season came at the Bernebau and also against Swansea at Anfield this week. Both games, other players stepped up to the plate in midfield. Runners were tracked from midfield and the defence was afforded adequate protection

We were average in the Bernebau and comfortably beaten. Annoys me that it would be considered a good performance.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Fabregas would have been perfect but equally unlikely

Just like Chelsea got Fabregas the only English team I see getting Pogba is Man City as a replacement for Yaya.

Dont think PSG or Juve is a good idea. Pirlo, Pogba, Vidal, Marchisio, Matuidi, Verratti, Motta, Cabaye and Pastore are ALL better midfielders than he is now. He wouldn't get 10 starts in a season for either club. Inter, Dortmund, Wolfsburg or Schalke would be smarter choices for him at this stage of his career, if he were to stay in Europe.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement