Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It's paying off for him, although alienating players at the rate he does will take away from it. It will pay off for the club if they move on for higher fees. But it will always leave the club playing catch up on the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Pjanic on the streets of London
    Pjanic on the streets of Merseyside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

people need to remember that players prices have doubled in the last few years...especially to top English clubs and barca /real/Bayern etc... 10 or 12 million player 3-5 years ago is 20mill+ now... so people think any player costing 20 mill should be class immediately ... 30-40 million is a first team automatic starter signing IMO..or should be...10-20 million for well scouted prospects or squad fillers ...I'd say sterlings in the 20 mill + bracket as it stands...ibe 10-15 based purely on potential... all IMO of course.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    It's paying off for him, although alienating players at the rate he does will take away from it.................

Alienating?
    As in what happened with Sakho & Mig'?
    Or getting Suarez away from first team for a while?
    Or Balo?
    Or Borini?
    Or Lovren?

Couldn't fault him for any of the above imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Is the Palace game on tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

people need to remember that players prices have doubled in the last few years...especially to top English clubs and barca /real/Bayern etc... 10 or 12 million player 3-5 years ago is 20mill+ now... so people think any player costing 20 mill should be class immediately ... 30-40 million is a first team automatic starter signing IMO..or should be...10-20 million for well scouted prospects or squad fillers ...I'd say sterlings in the 20 mill + bracket as it stands...ibe 10-15 based purely on potential... all IMO of course.

Far more I wouldn't sell him for a penny below £50m. If 17 year old Wayne Rooney cost £30m 10 years ago, Sterling is worth every bit of £50m

noodler wrote: »

Yep,BT.
    Same time ish as the rugby rubbish :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

BT I'm pretty sure.

Nobody should give Rodgers any praise for his handling of Mig.

There was absolutely no ryhme or reason to it.

There are serious causality issues with linking his being dropped from the team and recent upsurge in form.

There was absolutely no ryhme or reason to it...............

He was sh1t, he was dropped........... there's the reason.

He than returned due (presumably) to Jones' injury and has been much better.

Some think he would never had returned other for Jones' injury, who knows though ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Pjanic on the streets of London
    Pjanic on the streets of Merseyside.

Hangin' with D-Studge, Hangin' with D-Studge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

If mignolet was the only player dropped and then brought back into the team to show improved form then I would hold off giving Rodgers credit. That's not the case tho, multiple players have benifited from the manager taking them out of the firing line.

Also have heard nothing but good things about Rodgers man management skills so not sure where this while idea that he alienating players is coming from...

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    If mignolet was the only player dropped and then brought back into the team to show improved form then I would hold off giving Rodgers credit. That's not the case tho, multiple players have benifited from the manager taking them out of the firing line.

Also have heard nothing but good things about Rodgers man management skills so not sure where this while idea that he alienating players is coming from...

Mig was dropped for a conference player.

Rodgers then had to embarassingly recall him when Jones got injured.

Mig was still crap for a while and then finally he gets good.

A stopped watch is right twice a day comes to mind.

Sakho's exclusion was down to disciplinary reasons in the main - I never doubted his ability and I am not really pushing to give him credit for finally playing him.

That all might seem anti-Rodgers but I think it is very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Get in Livininkorea!!

Can's English is progressing nicely courtesy of 'two lessons a week...sometimes three' although he still makes use of an interpreter while he sharpens his language skills.

"What are they saying about my hair? They want to know what I use? I use a wax," Can reveals.

"Recently I thought about growing my hair long, but it didn't look so good and so I got it cut again.

"I have a full head of hair and my dad had the same. In fact, he's still got all of his hair.

"My hair is very thick. I use wax and I put more of it on for games - but for the look of it, whether it's pushed to the side, centre or back, I just do it as I feel."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/179976-emre-on-positions-fans-form-and-hair

He's worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

gafferino wrote: »
    Get in Livininkorea!!

Can's English is progressing nicely courtesy of 'two lessons a week...sometimes three' although he still makes use of an interpreter while he sharpens his language skills.

"What are they saying about my hair? They want to know what I use? I use a wax," Can reveals.

"Recently I thought about growing my hair long, but it didn't look so good and so I got it cut again.

"I have a full head of hair and my dad had the same. In fact, he's still got all of his hair.

"My hair is very thick. I use wax and I put more of it on for games - but for the look of it, whether it's pushed to the side, centre or back, I just do it as I feel."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/179976-emre-on-positions-fans-form-and-hair

Slow news day :P

Get in Livininkorea!!

:pac::pac::pac:

I was certain you were making all that up until I saw the link!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Vicxas wrote: »
    Slow news day :P

I'm sure some would interpret this as big news :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

rob316 wrote:
    Far more I wouldn't sell him for a penny below £50m. If 17 year old Wayne Rooney cost £30m 10 years ago, Sterling is worth every bit of £50m

perhaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

There was absolutely no ryhme or reason to it.

There are serious causality issues with linking his being dropped from the team and recent upsurge in form.

So what cause would you proffer for his rehabilitation?

garra wrote: »
    So what cause would you proffer for his rehabilitation?

Players go through upsurges in form without there being any tangible or observable reason for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Players go through upsurges in form without there being any tangible or observable reason for it.

It's almost like they are human.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's almost like they are human.

Like Lovren maybe?

Like Lovren maybe?

As I said yesterday, if a player demonstrated evidence that they were up to the job at some point you could argue they were suffering a potential 'dip'. Some players are just crap and not up to it however.

Mig was dropped for a conference player.

Rodgers then had to embarassingly recall him when Jones got injured.

Mig was still crap for a while and then finally he gets good.

A stopped watch is right twice a day comes to mind.

Sakho's exclusion was down to disciplinary reasons in the main - I never doubted his ability and I am not really pushing to give him credit for finally playing him.

That all might seem anti-Rodgers but I think it is very reasonable.

It seems excruciatingly tedious in fact. All Rodgers can do is create an environment where the players can thrive, develop and ultimately win games for the club. I think he is a natural at this.

When dealing with established players who experience a drop in form, if anything I think he gives them too many chances, Mig should have been taken out sooner, Johnson / Gerrard and others have also been indulged.

Whether or not you give credit for Rodgers dropping or re-calling players into the first team is both micro-critical and pure speculation - you don't know how the player is training, you dont know details of what might be happening in their personal life, you don't know how they are blending with other players in training games, you don't know their attitude to their job.

In summary, while we are on here to speculate and converse, this thread is sometimes in danger of disappearing up it's own ar$e hole with mails like yours above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Migs form has nothing to do with being dropped by Rodgers. We're lucky that didn't backfire completely.

I thoroughly believe that Migs upturn in form/confidence is down to have a settled back 3 in front of him and vice versa they have more confidence in him.

I know with Lucas and Gerrard out injured people will want to move Can into midfield but I'd rather try and keep the defensive unit together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Wax/Pomade companies must be frantically ringing his agent this morning, in the hope that he's using their brand. Whatever brand it is, it would catapult their sales with a simple campaign. Guy has the best hair in the prem.

He's also young enough that he'd be available for an endorsement for a good price. Think Beckham and Brylcreem etc. Good opportunity there for someone.

garra wrote: »
    It seems excruciatingly tedious in fact. All Rodgers can do is create an environment where the players can thrive, develop and ultimately win games for the club. I think he is a natural at this.

When dealing with established players who experience a drop in form, if anything I think he gives them too many chances, Mig should have been taken out sooner, Johnson / Gerrard and others have also been indulged.

Whether or not you give credit for Rodgers dropping or re-calling players into the first team is both micro-critical and pure speculation - you don't know how the player is training, you dont know details of what might be happening in their personal life, you don't know how they are blending with other players in training games, you don't know their attitude to their job.

In summary, while we are on here to speculate and converse, this thread is sometimes in danger of disappearing up it's own ar$e hole with mails like yours above.

Ah for fcuk sake.

So I don't give him credit for it.....then I am going up my own ar$e. because I don't know what goes on behind the scenes?

Whats the alternative? GIVE him the credit?.....even though I don't know what goes on behind the scenes?

What a random post - its like you have written paragraphs unrelated to what I said and then at the end just go "and this is for you Noodler".

The Mig incident is unlike that of any other dropped/recalled players because Rodgers had no fcuking choice but to recall him. We have no idea how much of a 'break' Rodgers wanted to give Mig, whatever his plans were they were interupted when Jones got injured.

EDIT: But if you don't want to discuss the team and stop discussion everytime anyone gives an opinion on the manager then I suggest the problem isn't so much the thread but you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Think I might have to listen to the anfield wrap, just to see if they're harping on about Chandsome in the same manner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Kirby wrote: »
    chelsea-hazard-stats_3263595.jpg

Stats aren't everything by any means but Sterling is in good company there. Chelsea already got Hazard on a new contract, Liverpool should do the same. Give him what he wants.

I hope you aren't a HR manager or Purchasing manager! Not sure I agree with the negotiating approach. However, totally agree we should get Raheem's contact extended as soon as possible. He's the most likely of the new batch of first teamers who could become truly world class players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Like Lovren maybe?

Maybe he needs to be loved, just like everyone else (in the squad) does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As I said yesterday, if a player demonstrated evidence that they were up to the job at some point you could argue they were suffering a potential 'dip'. Some players are just crap and not up to it however.

Glad you are in a position to write off over 20 million quid.

SM01 wrote: »
    Maybe he needs to be loved, just like everyone else (in the squad) does.

'The Rodgers' just needs to focus on teaching him man ball...forget the game, just focus on kicking and stamping...then he'll be an acceptable member of the squad.

The Mig incident is unlike that of any other dropped/recalled players because Rodgers had no fcuking choice but to recall him. We have no idea how much of a 'break' Rodgers wanted to give Mig, whatever his plans were they were interupted when Jones got injured.

Mig was playing rubbish, confidence was shot, and so he was taken out of the team. I would say the intention was to keep him out a little longer but the Jones injury accelerated his return to the side. Since coming back, he seems to have recaptured the form and confidence that caused us to buy him. A win:win for all involved. He gets his place back, we start keeping clean sheets again, and we don't have to but a replacement in the jan transfer window.

Whether it was a managerial masterstroke by Rodgers or not is open to debate. However, are you sure he had no choice? Could he not have bought in or loaned in a replacement in the january window?

Lovern deserves another chance imo.

Mig, Sakho, Skrtel, Marckovic all were heavily criticised pre Christmas.

The defence was a shambles all over back then.

Lovern hasn't had a run in the current formation, so I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Lucas is missing so I expect the defence to start leaking more goals with or without Lovern tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Turtyturd wrote: »
    'The Rodgers' just needs to focus on teaching him man ball...forget the game, just focus on kicking and stamping...then he'll be an acceptable member of the squad.

I don't recognise these Smiths lyrics...

Glad you are in a position to write off over 20 million quid.

Many on here happy to write off £16m quid so it isn't that outlandish an opinion to hold.

Many on here happy to write off £16m quid so it isn't that outlandish an opinion to hold.

I dont know whether he will succeed or not. But every player needs more than one chance and its foolish to right a player off so soon....and the same is true of the opposite. Lovren was very poor in the first half of the season but so were the team. I believe he can come good but he wont get a lot of chances to do so barring injury so needs to make an impact as soon as he can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

If Lucas was fit I'd consider giving Lovern another chance but since he is not we might as well stick with what we've got.

I dont know whether he will succeed or not. But every player needs more than one chance and its foolish to right a player off so soon....and the same is true of the opposite. Lovren was very poor in the first half of the season but so were the team. I believe he can come good but he wont get a lot of chances to do so barring injury so needs to make an impact as soon as he can.

I think Toure deserves the game time more, that's all it is. I want to win these games and want the players selected that have demonstrated form this year. Keeping the likes of Allen and Lovren off the pitch is therefore important.

• Advertisement

And Balotelli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I think Toure deserves the game time more, that's all it is.

Why does Toure deserve it and Lovren based? Based on what performances?

African Nations can't count...

Dickerty wrote: »

Madrid away.

PRAF wrote: »
    Whether it was a managerial masterstroke by Rodgers or not is open to debate. However, are you sure he had no choice? Could he not have bought in or loaned in a replacement in the january window?

Well, he could have tried, probably not in time for the couple of games right after Jones' injury though.

That being said, noy going for a keeper in the window gives you the impression BR either:

i) was happy for us to have Brad Jones in goal for an extended period of time

ii) saw Mig as number one but decided to tell the media he was dropped "indefinitely"

Neither paint him in a great light. I'd have been all for dropping Mig if the replacement wasn't so, so far below him as to leave the team in a situation where Mig would need to be stricken with Ebola before Jones could be considered a better alternative.

Ah for fcuk sake.

So I don't give him credit for it.....then I am going up my own ar$e. because I don't know what goes on behind the scenes?

Whats the alternative? GIVE him the credit?.....even though I don't know what goes on behind the scenes?

What a random post - its like you have written paragraphs unrelated to what I said and then at the end just go "and this is for you Noodler".

EDIT: But if you don't want to discuss the team and stop discussion everytime anyone gives an opinion on the manager then I suggest the problem isn't so much the thread but you.

Thank you for summarizing my above post and for highlighting why it is such a futile task to critique team selections.

In your original post you were expanding on your theme - which you have now debased entirely - by claiming Rodgers "embarassingly" had to recall Mig.

Do you not see this contradiction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Dickerty wrote: »

Toure always does well when he plays bar that back pass v west brom which is what, a year ago at this stage?

Lovren has been frankly laughable since he joined us, that pass directly to a united player for them to score their 3rd against us was Sunday league stuff. Toure is a better defender as of now, Lovren will probably get another opportunity to prove himself but not now IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Like Lovren maybe?

There are no positive absolutes only negative ones silly billy :rolleyes:
    daRobot wrote: »
    Wax/Pomade companies must be frantically ringing his agent this morning, in the hope that he's using their brand. Whatever brand it is, it would catapult their sales with a simple campaign. Guy has the best hair in the prem.

He's also young enough that he'd be available for an endorsement for a good price. Think Beckham and Brylcreem etc. Good opportunity there for someone.

He better not sign on for Fop Goddamnit

dapperdan_zpsthmrg14x.gif

Well, he could have tried, probably not in time for the couple of games right after Jones' injury though.

That being said, noy going for a keeper in the window gives you the impression BR either:

i) was happy for us to have Brad Jones in goal for an extended period of time

ii) saw Mig as number one but decided to tell the media he was dropped "indefinitely"

Neither paint him in a great light. I'd have been all for dropping Mig if the replacement wasn't so, so far below him as to leave the team in a situation where Mig would need to be stricken with Ebola before Jones could be considered a better alternative.

Is your issue with the temporary dropping of Mig or with the fact that you don't rate Jones? Two separate points IMO.

I think the criticism of Jones is a bit over the top. He's certainly not merely a 'conference' level keeper. He's played over 100 league games in England, most at EPL or Championship level. He's also an Australian international. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of his (apart from his immaculate hair!). However, playing him instead of an out of form and low on confidence Mig is certainly no crime. In fact, I think the move worked out well for everyone in the end.

We do need to but a better challenger for Mig in the summer window.

I think Toure deserves the game time more, that's all it is. I want to win these games and want the players selected that have demonstrated form this year. Keeping the likes of Allen and Lovren off the pitch is therefore important.

Toure had some shocking performances last year too. But he know he is capable of good performances...so is Lovren.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

PRAF wrote: »
    Is your issue with the temporary dropping of Mig or with the fact that you don't rate Jones? Two separate points IMO.

I think the criticism of Jones is a bit over the top. He's certainly not merely a 'conference' level keeper. He's played over 100 league games in England, most at EPL or Championship level. He's also an Australian international. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of his (apart from his immaculate hair!). However, playing him instead of an out of form and low on confidence Mig is certainly no crime. In fact, I think the move worked out well for everyone in the end.

We do need to but a better challenger for Mig in the summer window.

Emre Can has better hair imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement