Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Anyone know a good pub to watch game in town tomorrow, I know most pubs will be showing the lads playing with odd shaped balls...
    might try Woolshed - just looking for alternatives.. ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

garra wrote: »
    Thank you for summarizing my above post and for highlighting why it is such a futile task to critique team selections.

In your original post you were expanding on your theme - which you have now debased entirely - by claiming Rodgers "embarassingly" had to recall Mig.

Do you not see this contradiction?

It was quite embarassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Mignolet was playing terribly. There were shedloads of people asking for him to be dropped and he was. Credit to him he's looked a lot better and more confident since he got back in and the new formation has solidified things a bit in front of him which helps. Personally don't see what's embarrassing about recalling a dropped player because his replacement got injured. Happens all the time.

noodler wrote: »

You must blush easily if you think that's embarassing.. player gets dropped after months of poor form, back-up gets injured and manager is forced to recall misfiring keeper. Manager is embarassed for asking original keeper to do his bloody job properly. What the absolute fock?? Tired of this now

Or maybe you are being influenced by the media driven / partisan view that such an action should be "embarassing" for Rodgers, which was doing the rounds when we were in poor form and people were coming up with all kind of sticks to beat him with? It couldn't be that, could it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I don't think Lovren particularly deserves anything he has been diabolical since coming to us however if it means keeping Allen and Johnson out of the team id go with him. Id prefer Toure if he is ready though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

One thing with Mignolet now is he seems to be hitting every back pass first time. Doesnt take a touch like he used to. Still very nervous with the ball at his feet. His shot stopping was never in question but doubts still remain over his general control of the area and decison making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I think having to make a player who you tried to force out the door for peanuts your captain would be more embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Well, he could have tried, probably not in time for the couple of games right after Jones' injury though.

That being said, noy going for a keeper in the window gives you the impression BR either:

i) was happy for us to have Brad Jones in goal for an extended period of time

ii) saw Mig as number one but decided to tell the media he was dropped "indefinitely"

Neither paint him in a great light. I'd have been all for dropping Mig if the replacement wasn't so, so far below him as to leave the team in a situation where Mig would need to be stricken with Ebola before Jones could be considered a better alternative.

You forgot the third option of..

iii) There was no keeper available to buy better than what we had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

So what cause would you proffer for his rehabilitation?

25901B6700000578-2951215-image-a-2_1423766763699.jpg

This. At the start of the season there was no confidence between the GK and the defence.

Since we've settled on a back three, everyone seems to be on the same wavelength.

• Advertisement

You must blush easily if you think that's embarassing.. player gets dropped after months of poor form, back-up gets injured and manager is forced to recall misfiring keeper. Manager is embarassed for asking original keeper to do his bloody job properly. What the absolute fock?? Tired of this now

Ssshhhh now.

Easy.
    Or maybe you are being influenced by the media driven / partisan view that such an action should be "embarassing" for Rodgers, which was doing the rounds when we were in poor form and people were coming up with all kind of sticks to beat him with? It couldn't be that, could it?

I think it is embarassing to drop somebody for somebody a couple of levels below full stop.

But in particular, it was actually Rodgers who seemed to be influenced to the media by an extent in this scenario as Mig had been extremely poor for quite sometime yet his dropping seemed to coincide with arguably the strongest media criticism of Mig and the team for sometime.

Furthermore, telling the media it was for an indefinite period of time was an incredibly unwise thing to do and gave the impression it wouldn't matter how well Mig did in training or how badly Jones did in games - Mig wouldn't be getting back in.

Please stop portraying me as anti-Rodgers.

Being anti-Rodgers is absolutely not defined as someone:

"unwilling to give Rodgers credit for Mig's recent revival on form based on his poorly thought-out plan to drop him 'indefinitely' without a suitable replacement on the bench or incoming from the transfer market".

You must be staunchly pro-Rodgers, militantly so, if you are taking my position on this as representative of some of the ill-will towards him. If you have an agenda in this regard, please direct it elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I don't think Lovren particularly deserves anything he has been diabolical since coming to us however if it means keeping Allen and Johnson out of the team id go with him. Id prefer Toure if he is ready though.

Our entire defense looked absolutely shocking until we put a proper DM in front of them, soon as you put Lucas in there Sahko, Can, Skrtel and Migs look like different players. Lovern deserves a another chance with cover in front of him.

Makes me worry about losing Lucas, hopefully Can or even Allen can do a job for us there, keep Gerrard well away from DM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Is it fair to say that Rodgers has got the team playing well again?

dogbert27 wrote: »
    25901B6700000578-2951215-image-a-2_1423766763699.jpg

This. At the start of the season there was no confidence between the GK and the defence.

Since we've settled on a back three, everyone seems to be on the same wavelength.

There is no doubt the collective form of the team and the defence is a stable environment for a keeper to regain confidence. We can only speculate as to how this would have developed if Mig was left in the firing line.

I'm glad we have a manager who cares enough about his No.1 keeper that he would put Jones (yes, Jones!) in place of him to let him recover, at a time when Rodgers was under serious pressure himself.

This spinning lark is good fun, I take back what I said about it earlier..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Is it fair to say that Rodgers has got the team playing well again?

Shhh. We'll have less of that.

You'll jinx it.

I'm glad we have a manager who cares enough about his No.1 keeper that he would put Jones (yes, Jones!) in place of him to let him recover, at a time when Rodgers was under serious pressure himself.

Speculation. Interesting that you don't mind indulging in Rodgers' motivations for action as long as they are portrayed the 'right' way.

By your own admission you can't possibly know if he didn;t give a crap about Mig but thought he was doing so badly that Jones would be an upgrade, or if it was done with the hope a (subsequently botched) transfer plan in January.

Dropping your goalkeeper for an "indefinite" period of time when you yourself are under pressure could easily be seen as a kneejerk move to remove focus on yourself and onto Mig as a fallguy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Now with Gerrard & Lucas out of the team for a few weeks, the average age for our next league match must be the lowest the PL will have ever seen.

Possibly our best XI available.

Mig
    --Can --Skrtel--Sakho
    Ibe---Hendo--Allen---Lazor
    --Coutinho---Sterling
    Sturridge

Mig
    --Loveren-Skrtel-Sakho
    -Ibe--Hendo--Can--Lazor
    --Coutinho--Sterling
    Sturridge

Speculation. Interesting that you don't mind indulging in Rodgers' motivations for action as long as they are portrayed the 'right' way.

By your own admission you can't possibly know if he didn;t give a crap about Mig but thought he was doing so badly that Jones would be an upgrade, or if it was done with the hope a (subsequently botched) transfer plan in January.

Dropping your goalkeeper for an "indefinite" period of time when you yourself are under pressure could easily be seen as a kneejerk move to remove focus on yourself and onto Mig as a fallguy.

Yes indeed, that's why I made the ironic comment about spinning...

Yes indeed, that's why I made the ironic comment about spinning...

Stop blowing my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Now with Gerrard & Lucas out of the team for a few weeks, the average age for our next league match must be the lowest the PL will have ever seen.

Mig
    --Can --Skrtel--Sakho
    --Coutinho---Sterling
    Sturridge

Mig
    --Loveren-Skrtel-Sakho
    -Ibe--Hendo--Can--Lazor
    --Coutinho--Sterling
    Sturridge

I take it you completely forgot about Moreno :pac:

He'll have a difficult decision to make regarding the rb spot now with Ibe looking so good.

• Advertisement

Can to midfield.

Toure to CB.

SiMpLeS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Mig
    --Can --Skrtel--Sakho
    --Coutinho---Sterling
    Sturridge

Mig
    --Loveren-Skrtel-Sakho
    -Ibe--Hendo--Can--Lazor
    --Coutinho--Sterling
    Sturridge

Moreno ahead of lazar imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hardly, check this out

1middlesbrough191212.jpg?itok=H-cn1OeU

Mig 26
    Can 21
    Skrtel 29
    Sakho 24
    Ibe 20
    Hendo 24
    Allen 24
    Lazor 20
    Coutinho 22
    Sterling 21
    Sturridge 25

Avg 23.27 yrs
    Youth in midfield/attack with bit of experience at the back.

Avg age of Premiership baller = 26.8 yrs

The future's bright, the future's red :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Hardly, check this out

1middlesbrough191212.jpg?itok=H-cn1OeU

Imagine how Malcolm Christie felt that day :pac:

Knex. wrote: »

Harry doesn't need to imagine :P (neither do I)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Having just realised the date of that game, I'm going to assume Boro were either safe and the manager decided to put the kids out for a runabout or they had already been relegated and the manager decided to put the kids out for a runabout and to embarrass the senior players.

Stop blowing my mind.

I stopped when you said Rodgers should be embarassed for dropping Mignolet in the first place, and implied he caved into media pressure to do so. Would the same media pressure not have been compounding the players problems? Rodgers had no easy way out of that and made the only real option available to him - to call it an embarrassment is absurd.

Am not agenda driven btw, but I like the way Rodgers is irish, positive, influences the youthful players and coaches good football. He has proven to be adaptable and resourceful and I'm willing to back him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Having just realised the date of that game, I'm going to assume Boro were either safe and the manager decided to put the kids out for a runabout or they had already been relegated and the manager decided to put the kids out for a runabout and to embarrass the senior players.

Just looked it up... Middlesbrough were playing Sevilla in the Uefa Cup final the following week, so in McLaren's last game in charge before taking the England job, he rested his main players, and fulfilled his Chairman's dream of fielding a team of players all born within 30 miles of the ground (15 of the 16 players in the squad met that criteria). All 16 of the squad were English.

Unfortunately they lost 1-0 to Fullham, and 4-0 to Sevilla the following week...

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,660 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Knex. wrote: »

And mrs bates called her son matthew. !
    Must have had a horror at school

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    I take it you completely forgot about Moreno :pac:

He'll have a difficult decision to make regarding the rb spot now with Ibe looking so good.
    MR NINE wrote: »
    Moreno ahead of lazar imo

I didn't forget Moreno, while I do think he's a good player but he can be very frustrating of late and more inclined to run into dead ends or put in a cross that was never on.

Dont get me wrong Marko can be hot and cold too but I just prefer him at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

OT but Carroll is out for the season again. We did well getting shot of him for the price we got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Can to midfield.

Toure to CB.

SiMpLeS

Toure not back till Monday, I would like to see Allen brought in thought he was solid against everton. I also wouldn't mind seeing can in the centre of a back three given his distribution of the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Toure not back till Monday, I would like to see Allen brought in thought he was solid against everton. I also wouldn't mind seeing can in the centre of a back three given his distribution of the ball.

Allen will be bullied by Wanyama and Schneiderlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

rob316 wrote: »
    OT but Carroll is out for the season again. We did well getting shot of him for the price we got.

I genuinely feel sorry for the lad.

• Advertisement

Another wee victory for the man from Antrim:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I genuinely feel sorry for the lad.
    I don't. Spoke to The Sun criticising Rodgers. Not Rodgers fault Carroll wasn't good enough for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Some random pics of Sakho painting a gaff in Bootle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Tricky things those bar stools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Allen will be bullied by Wanyama and Schneiderlin.

I was on about the fa cup tomorrow, see how he gets on before deciding if he starts against southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

MD1990 wrote: »
    I don't. Spoke to The Sun criticising Rodgers. Not Rodgers fault Carroll wasn't good enough for Liverpool.

Not Carroll's fault either though.

Rickie who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Dont know how anyone could feel sorry for a player making millions while out injured being honest. I mean, i do empathise but i draw the line there.

When it comes to Andy Carroll out injured again I just feel relieved he doesn't play for LFC. What a ****ing disaster that guy was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

NukaCola wrote: »
    Dont know how anyone could feel sorry for a player making millions while out injured being honest. I mean, i do empathise but i draw the line there.

When it comes to Andy Carroll out injured again I just feel relieved he doesn't play for LFC. What a ****ing disaster that guy was.

Now we have the Italian version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Next 2 games are absolutely huge for Pool, 2 losses and 4th is undoubtedly gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Montroseee wrote: »
    Next 2 games are absolutely huge for Pool, 2 losses and 4th is undoubtedly gone.

And out of the FA Cup as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Carrol scored the winner against Everton in the semi final of the F.A cup. Stewart Downing will, for me, be the worst signing from that bunch.

Aquilani for me was the biggest disaster.

I'd say we lost more on him than Carroll.

Signing an injured player - very good idea that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Aquilani for me was the biggest disaster.

I'd say we lost more on him than Carroll.

Signing an injured player - very good idea that

Terrible what desperation does.

Terrible what desperation does.

Yeah, it was a bad time at the club alright.

What happened with him being loaned out and us paying some wages etc just made it even worse

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement