Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am sort of relishing these games because we do have the bodies for this run whatever about the quality.

It will be interesting to see who can impress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'd bring kolo, loveren and Borini into the team to face the turks.

Much bigger game against Southampton.

Dunno about that, Europa League we have to play and win 9 games to get Top 4. 13 to play in the league and leap frog a couple. Plus with Europa League we have the added bonus of actually winning something.

Europa, League and FA Cup in that priority for me. But I want to win the FA cup so badly this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The League & Europa League are of equal impotance right now which one will become the number priority will be seen after the next three games.

Wins against Southampton & City then a top 4 place is open for again for us lose either or both then the Europa League should become the number one target for the rest of the season.

The League & Europa League are of equal impotance right now which one will become the number priority will be seen after the next three games.

Wins against Southampton & City then a top 4 place is open for again for us lose either or both then the Europa League should become the number one target for the rest of the season.

Agreed.

Top 4 is the goal but I would really like a piece of silverware this season. For a young manager and squad it would be really important IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Would really like to see Rodgers go in for Davy Klaassen of Ajax in the summer as a long tern replacement for Stevie G. Think he would be gettable and would not break the bank and could really become top class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,660 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

rob316 wrote: »
    Agreed.

Top 4 is the goal but I would really like a piece of silverware this season. For a young manager and squad it would be really important IMO.

Am i right in thiking the EL winner , if us, would claim the 4 th english cl place ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

rob316 wrote: »
    Dunno about that, Europa League we have to play and win 9 games to get Top 4. 13 to play in the league and leap frog a couple. Plus with Europa League we have the added bonus of actually winning something.

Europa, League and FA Cup in that priority for me. But I want to win the FA cup so badly this year.

If I believed we could actually go all the way, then yeah I'd agree with you but I just think that we don't have the experience in squad or the management to win it.

So taking the Thursday nights into consideration, I'd use the squad for the Europa and if we do progress a couple of rounds further, then I'd revaluate our position.

cjmc wrote: »
    Am i right in thiking the EL winner , if us, would claim the 4 th english cl place ?

No they changed it there can be a max of 5 teams now from one country. Only way the 4th spot wouldn't get UCL is if a team who finished outside the Top 4 won the UCL and a team from the same league outside the Top 4 won the Europa League.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

cjmc wrote: »
    Nope, top 4 plus europa winner in that case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

JB81 wrote: »
    Would really like to see Rodgers go in for Davy Klaassen of Ajax in the summer as a long tern replacement for Stevie G. Think he would be gettable and would not break the bank and could really become top class.

+1 quality quality player

I apparently predicted he'd go for £10m this summer..... ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89231206

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, and Mr. Unpopular (i.e. me!) got nominated. How does that make you feel huh? :pac:

Bet it sickens some folk more than BR doing well sickens you or Alan :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

3. Southampton/Spurs
    4. Man United
    5. Arsenal (but they win the CL)
    6. Liverpool (but they win the Europa League)

Hilarity Ensues...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

If we get through, Can we draw a pl side in the next round of the el, wouldn't mind getting Everton for the Craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

8-10 wrote: »
    +1 quality quality player

I apparently predicted he'd go for £10m this summer..... ;)

Can we get him and Fischer in a double-deal? Maybe Borini fancies a go at the Dutch league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

retalivity wrote: »
    3. Southampton/Spurs
    4. Man United
    5. Arsenal (but they win the CL)
    6. Liverpool (but they win the Europa League)

Hilarity Ensues...

If Carlsberg did "complicated end of season league finishing scenarios"... I will just love it I tell you, love it, when this happens

• Advertisement

And since we are bringing up the past, an OUCH from Brevity...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89231490&postcount=3397

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Dickerty wrote: »
    And since we are bringing up the past, an OUCH from Brevity...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89231490&postcount=3397

olNoEis.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Dickerty wrote: »
    Can we get him and Fischer in a double-deal? Maybe Borini fancies a go at the Dutch league?

Bad injury last year though and been out since, should come back towards the end of the season but as much as I love Fischer, I think he needs to stay with Ajax at least until next January to get enough games. Then would be a good time to swoop before the Euros in 2016, Denmark should qualify handy enough as there's only 5 in that group.

brevity wrote: »
    Well excuuse me

To be fair, I think Coutinho upgraded himself, so maybe that counts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, and Mr. Unpopular (i.e. me!) got nominated. How does that make you feel huh? :pac:

Never thought I'd see the day you celebrated the nomination trophy Lloyd , what is this, the Arsenal thread ? And don't give me the whole "but Arsenal and Chelsea have more mods" whine, you're a huge poster with a storied history you should be winning honours every year. No excuses. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

wrong thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

If we get through, Can we draw a pl side in the next round of the el, wouldn't mind getting Everton for the Craic.

Winner of Liverpool v Besiktas gets the winner of PSV v Zenith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Winner of Liverpool v Besiktas gets the winner of PSV v Zenith

No I'm sure there is another draw after this round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

ricero wrote: »

there will be a draw come the last 8 I believe, think its pre determined until then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Quick question: All those that wanted/want Rodgers sacked and called him every name under the sun over the first half of this season....

Do you still want him gone? Still hate him? How do you think he / the team are doing?

Thought it would be an interesting time to ask considering we have made big improvements but still need to keep improving. Just seems very quiet from a certain portion over the last while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I'm pretty sure its another draw for the next stages of the EL. There was a lot of talk a while back about us possibly getting Everton if we both qualify.

ricero wrote: »

Just looked it up, there is another draw after this round and its an open draw so it would be possible to get a pl team, Everton over 2 legs would be tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

joe123 wrote: »
    Quick question: All those that wanted/want Rodgers sacked and called him every name under the sun over the first half of this season....

Do you still want him gone? Still hate him? How do you think he / the team are doing?

Thought it would be an interesting time to ask considering we have made big improvements but still need to keep improving. Just seems very quiet from a certain portion over the last while.

im a fan of the man and his methods and style of play,lets wait for the i told you so's till the end of the season... if you feel the need,this gets brought up a lot and its tiresome, we are going well thats all that matters now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Just a quick important point about the last game. Much as I enjoyed the Moreno / Sturridge dance. I really dont ever want to see it again as a regular thing.

Moreno just doesn't suit that role as hes is far too rigid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Just a quick important point about the last game. Much as I enjoyed the Moreno / Sturridge dance. I really dont ever want to see it again as a regular thing.

Moreno just doesn't suit that role as hes is far too rigid.
    At least it wasn't sakho imagine the awakardness or hendo I heard he dances with his knees

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hendo dances like a 9 year old girl!

im a fan of the man and his methods and style of play,lets wait for the i told you so's till the end of the season... if you feel the need,this gets brought up a lot and its tiresome, we are going well thats all that matters now

Nothing to do with the I told you so's. Sure if I wanted to do that wouldn't I wait till we got over the next hump of games?

We could easily walk out of the next few with 0 points.

Whats the problem in asking those who said he relied on Suarez what they think now? Surely he deserves credit for changing things? Something which we was criticized for NOT being able to do?

People are being too precious if they feel this is a "I told you so". There's a long way to go bud. Id be genuinely interested to hear the thoughts of those that want him out and their reasons for doing so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Got a pm from a sound aul lurker, seanynova, who had been carrying out Morzadec's table with last years' top 7 (Everton in, Southampton out)

Results of that are as follows, for anyone interested:
    Week 25
    1. Chelsea +10
    2. Man City +2
    3. Man Utd -5
    4. Arsenal -5.5
    5. Spurs -7
    6. Liverpool -8.5
    7. Everton -22.

Liverpool were as low as -12 on week 17 & 20.

Thought the last line was fairly remarkable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Yes I still want him out.

The improvements are welcome but overall his transfer market dealings have been odd. Transfer committee vs manager seems to be an ongoing battle to the detriment of the club. Why would you want to sign as a player not knowing if you are really wanted. We have discussed his dealings with this and it appears to many observers to be throwing the toys out of the pram to get his way.

Insisting on playing gerrard at the obvious expense of points shows lack of strength.

Player management is very odd. Look at Mig and balotelli, sakho. Are we to believe that it was his touch which brought about their good fortunes. Changes were forced on him and they fell correctly into place. Blind luck is how I see it.

His interviews are one dimensional. You could guess what will be said win/loose/draw, it is always the same.

One dimensional tactics. Once the opposition figure them out, we are like lost souls.

I don't believe he can bring the title.

To make it clear, I am delighted with current form but I feel it was not the manager that brought this form.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

FA cup draw on SSN at 7:30.

Reading or Blackburn at Anfield please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool under-21 side to play Sunderland 7 pm this evening.

Liverpool under-21s: Fulton, McLaughlin, Smith, Jones, Maguire, Williams, Randall, O’Hanlon, Sinclair, Brannagan, Wilson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The bolded bit is all that counts if you genuinely want a discussion on the topic. The sad thing is, your post proves that it is more about the personalities than it is about the club for some. Maybe that explains why some take it personally when something negative is said about the man.

He is at the club 2.5 years now. During that time, and this is from memory, we have been up and down quite a bit. We are currently playing pretty well and are on an exceptional run of form. For the first half to the season through, it was pretty dismal. Last season was awesome but the season before that sucked a wee bit.

I still have serious doubts about him. I hope that he proves me wrong though and that he makes the club successful again. A little bit more consistency, a sustained trajectory and improved signings would go a long way to building trust i him.

Edit. Less bull****ting would be nice too.

FA cup draw on SSN at 7:30.

Reading or Blackburn at Anfield please.

I wouldn't have thought that sky would have any involvement in the FA cup.

Damien360 wrote: »

The improvements are welcome but overall his transfer market dealings have been odd. Transfer committee vs manager seems to be an ongoing battle to the detriment of the club. Why would you want to sign as a player not knowing if you are really wanted. We have discussed his dealings with this and it appears to many observers to be throwing the toys out of the pram to get his way.

Insisting on playing gerrard at the obvious expense of points shows lack of strength.

Player management is very odd. Look at Mig and balotelli, sakho. Are we to believe that it was his touch which brought about their good fortunes. Changes were forced on him and they fell correctly into place. Blind luck is how I see it.

His interviews are one dimensional. You could guess what will be said win/loose/draw, it is always the same.

One dimensional tactics. Once the opposition figure them out, we are like lost souls.

To make it clear, I am delighted with current form but I feel it was not the manager that brought this form.

Fair play to actually replying.

Just on a few of the points.

1. The Transfer Committee - Would you not argue that the committee will be in place whoever the manager is? Saying that, some of the signings are beginning to show some excellent form namely Can and to a lesser extent Markovich, Lallana and Moreno. Sakho too seeing as he is a committee signing.

2. While I would have agreed with you earlier on in the season, it does appear Rodgers is beginning to rest/drop Gerrard more and more. Hes moved him away from the holding defensive position too which has benefited the team. One of the main reasons Gerrard is leaving is that Rodgers told him hes not going to see as much game time.

3. His man management. Sure it can be questioned the way he handled Mignolet, Sakho etc, but from reading a recent interview from Migs he thanks Rodgers for his help during the harder times. Sterling and Suarez have both commented on how good of a man manager Rodgers is.

4. Interviews - Rodgers does like the sound of his own voice and aside from the usual cliche lines, doesn't every manager rinse and repeat during interviews? He does love the word "character" though.

5. One Dimensional Tactics - this one I really have to pull you up on. Rodgers has chopped and changed tactics/player positions numerous times not only this season but since he has been here. He was at first criticized for moving Sterling to the striker role, playing 3 at the back and moving Can into defense. Its worked though, this isnt the first time Rodgers has tweaked a system to benefit the team and most recently his subs (something which I think he was poor on) have really helped the team and won us matches.

Again fair play for posting your point though as its quite easy to say "we are doing well at the minute lets wait and see - then after its done lay on the criticism . Much harder stick to your point when things are running well for us. I am/was genuinely interested to hear your side compared to mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

In the rehearsal for the draw we got Arsenal away, hope to christ it doesn't happen again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

ManOnFire wrote: »
    In the rehearsal for the draw we got Arsenal away, hope to christ it doesn't happen again!

What time is it on at? 7.30?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

kfallon wrote: »
    What time is it on at? 7.30?

ya think so!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought that sky would have any involvement in the FA cup.

One of the pretty Sky ladies said it earlier so it must be true, the other possibility was that I was entranced by her cleaveage and she might just as well have been reading out the local death notices and said 'removal at 7:30'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The bolded bit is all that counts if you genuinely want a discussion on the topic. The sad thing is, your post proves that it is more about the personalities than it is about the club for some. Maybe that explains why some take it personally when something negative is said about the man.

He is at the club 2.5 years now. During that time, and this is from memory, we have been up and down quite a bit. We are currently playing pretty well and are on an exceptional run of form. For the first half to the season through, it was pretty dismal. Last season was awesome but the season before that sucked a wee bit.

I still have serious doubts about him. I hope that he proves me wrong though and that he makes the club successful again. A little bit more consistency, a sustained trajectory and improved signings would go a long way to building trust i him.

The trajectories have been very consistent.

We haven't been see-sawing.

We've very consistently built momentum over the course of the season in each season he's been here. We started from a pretty low base and improved, we largely carried that form to the next season and steadily improved further, then we suffered an enormous setback, compounded by some incompetence in the recruitment end of things, after which we've built on and have improved again.

The seasons not over yet so the jury is still out (and it's always out for managers in football, who can lose their job after **** snowballs for long enough) but I think Rodgers has proven consistency in being able to build both a squad of players and the form of a side over the course of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Fair play to actually replying.

Just on a few of the points.

5. One Dimensional Tactics - this one I really have to pull you up on. Rodgers has chopped and changed tactics/player positions numerous times not only this season but since he has been here. He was at first criticized for moving Sterling to the striker role, playing 3 at the back and moving Can into defense. Its worked though, this isnt the first time Rodgers has tweaked a system to benefit the team and most recently his subs (something which I think he was poor on) have really helped the team and won us matches.

I see your point but I meant in relation to in match tactics. He sets up for the match, things are not going well and he fails to make the team changes at half time or during the flow of the game. It leaves us very stuck once we are figured out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

You'd swear we were in a high and mighty place before Rodgers took over. We weren't, we were sh1t, no where near top 4 with a team that featured the likes of Spearing, Carroll, Adam etc. reguarly.

We are now in a far better place with fck all spent when you consider outgoings and a strict wage budget when compared to rivals. We lost our best player and our second best player was crocked, that's 50 league goals gone straight away. Admittedly, Suarez should have been replaced in a better way.

Rodgers has his flaws but so do the likes of LVG, Wenger, Pocchetio, Pellegrini. All of them managers have wasted money on players.

All I know is the club are in a far better place right now than the day Rodgers walked in the door.

One of the pretty Sky ladies said it earlier so it must be true, the other possibility was that I was entranced by her cleaveage and she might just as well have been reading out the local death notices and said 'removal at 7:30'.

That is a possibility all right, we've all been there.

[quote="jesus_thats_gre;94

Edit. Less bull****ting would be nice too.[/quote]

Rodgers has a certain smugness in interviews and it can be a bit annoying, but It really irritates my utd supporting mates so its great really, imagine what he will be like if he actually wins something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

djPSB wrote: »

All I know is the club are in a far better place right now than the day Rodgers Suarez walked in the door.

:P

Resist I could not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Damien360 wrote: »

Have we replaced him already? I must keep up..

I think there is a peculiar kind of begrudgery about us Irish when we see one of our own doing well, he waffles a bit and we all know chancers with that gift of the gab, so maybe any progress can be put down to sheer good luck and we can sit back and wait for delicious schadenfreude when he f*cks up again. :P

In fairness any manager of a top level brought in will expect top spending and squad depth, the alternative was to bring in a less demanding, hard working younger man who could work with less expensive players.

Quick comparison of Rodgers v Van Gaal this year *
    Both spent money in summer
    Van Gaal has won 5 more points
    United have been disjointed and their best 11 and formation are known unkowns
    Rodgers is producing controlling football and finding a winning system with young summer signings and junior players (Manquillo / Ibe) while having to ease out a verifiable footballing hero
    Van Gaal has years of experience managing top players and signs Di Maria
    Rodgers signed Allen from Swansea
    Van Gaal doesn't waffle but he likes his stats

Not much between them really, imo

*Yes I know it is VG's first season in premiership, granted

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement